i have irregular periods
what to do to regulate my periods
try birth control
Some of the common causes of irregular periods are such as hormonal imbalance, stress, anxiety, intake of certain medicines, pituitary gland disorder, thyroid hormones disorders, poly cystic ovarian syndrome etc. You should consult a gynaecologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.
If this was the first episode of irregularity in the periods, then wait for the coming cycle and try lifestyle modification by reducing stress and decreasing cholesterol levels. But if the repeat happens, then pls consult a gynecologist and get yourself thoroughly examined to diagnose the cause of irregular periods and start with the treatment.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have had irregular periods since I first began my cycle at age 8, along with them i had horrible cramps, and a very heavy flow.  When I was a Junior in high school I met with one of my mom's Endocrinologist to test my hormone levels.  Turns out I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, and one treatment option is to put on birth control.  But because of family history, and getting pregnant was very difficult (mom had 4 miscarriages)  I didn't want to mess with birth control.  I am currently on Metformin, which is a generic for Glucophage.  If are hesitant about birth control, I highly recommend this.  Within the first 2 cycles I was regular again, and it's been wonderful :)  
Hope this helps!