inflamed uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

inflamed uterus

I have a inflamed uterus and vaginal discharge of a mucus mixed with a small amount of blood. I will be starting my period in a couple of days.  I am not pregnant.  What could this be
How do you know your uterus is inflamed?  Did a doctor tell you this?  
yes. He thought I might be at my mid-cycle and that it wasn't a problem,  however when I got home I realize I would be starting my period in four days
I'm just puzzled by the word "inflamed," if he was talking about your uterus.  Are you sure he wasn't talking about your cervix, or using the word "enlarged" when talking about the uterus?  For a doctor to diagnose a uterus as being inflamed, which indicates an infection of some kind, he would have to be looking at it in order to see bright, red tissue that's swollen.  But the uterus is a hidden organ, not visible to the eye by looking up the vagina, except right at the very end of it (in other words, the cervix).  If he was palpating your uterus, all he could tell by feeling it through your abdomen is if it seems somewhat enlarged or engorged.  If he was looking at it on an ultrasound, he wouldn't have been able to tell if it was inflamed.  So the language is a bit confusing.
Those are the words he used.  Those are also the words that were used by another doctor that had palpated my stomach only to further find that I  have ulcers a few weeks before.  I understand what you are saying and that sounds correct.  I am not sure why inflamed would be the words he choose.  In the mean time I have started my period.  Is an enlarged uterus normal a few days before starting ? and why would there be such a thick mucus?  I can guaranty it is not a STD.  My husband is beyond loyal and so am I.  
When the Dr. had first seen the mucus he said it looked like a mucus plug.  I told him I had a neg. urine test ealier in the week, before a scope to view my ulcers. Then he went over my cycle time with me and thought I "might" be in mid-cycle.  He said if it was that, I should he fine.  I have been using the pill for three years and it may be wearing down ...(something?) I can't remember.  However when I got home I realized I would be starting in less than a week.  By this time it was too late to call the office.  Should I call and let him know? or should I let it go?
if you have an enlarged uterus or an inflamed uterus it means that you have fibroids, several fibroids inside that uterus.  An ultrasound will not detect it.  You need another type of test.  Go to the dr and ask about it...