irritated skin in vaginal area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

irritated skin in vaginal area

I'm hoping someone may have insight into this

I woke up 5 days ago with slight irritation on one side of my labia... like where my thong touches. I had noticed an increase in milky discharge (with no unpleasant odor) so assumed possibly I had a yeast infection coming on.

Of course I looked every 3 seconds at it and it got a little more and more uncomfortable.

Night two worried me the most.. I think the monistat applied topically did it. It was still only slightly red but burning (topically only). I noticed that it would feel that way when it was in contact with my discharge.. when I was sitting down and my underwear is against it (presumably soaking up the moisture) there is very little discomfort.

I also have noticed the discomfort moves around depending on how I am sitting or what I am doing. Sometimes its back on my anus (on the left side) and other times it is all the way up front on the left side above the clitoris area... again where the discharge touches

Yesterday it was almost better until I took a super hot shower and used a lot of water on that area.. then my anus was stinging.. so I got the smart idea to use some lubriderm on it.. yeah hold moisture on a too moist area.. smart, eh?

Anyhow, there are no bumps, no sores, no cuts, just a little bit of redness (which is on both sides actually) and then topical soreness which feels like its a bit "raw". It has been going on for about 5 days and is no worse (at times better)

my boyfriend has never had any symptoms of anything like this before, nor have I. We havent even had "scares" before

any ideas???????

the only thing I can think of is that I wore a brand new pair of jeans without washing them first.. I had to take them off though because I got a rash on my shins and right above my knee from them

I actually hadnt even thought of that because the other rashes are no longer red.

I called the GYN but they were not too helpful. They told me that if it was herpes that it would turn into blisters in about 2 days (And now we are on day 5)

I also started using bath and body works shower gel last week.. but I dont put any soap directly on those areas

I think thats about it. I will put another call into my dr on monday if its still bothering me I guess... Its just hard not knowing.. things down there are scary! In fact I will barely notice the symptoms then I think about them and they get way worse. LOL!

Yeast infection and it almost sounds like you've had a reaction to something.  What do you use for protection? Have you changed detergents or soaps?  

You need to wear cotton panties, no thong, to let this area breathe.  Do not use perfumed soaps or anything of that nature.  Pick up some baby soap and wash gently with that.

You should make an appointment with your doctor to rule out STD or other infections.
i kinda had same thing last few days, but i was recently diagnozed w HPV so mine is related to that. no warts tho.
im sure its nutin bad wat u have. just a thought
I'm about to just take a bendryl since I have to wait till monday anyhow to find out whats going on. The itchies on my body are bugging me and if its a reaction then that should help
maybe u r alergic (allergic) to something

i had a rash on my back once from a bra i bought... went away

oddly it feels A LOT more better today.. still a little sensitive. Acutally when I woke up and was still in bed it was not even irritated... then after I got up it did a bit

but now my waistband area on my lower back and my hand are itching like mad

ooooh my skin is revolting!

Sounds like a reaction to either your new soap or clothes. I would suggest in the future, no scented body soap or laundry detergent. Pre-wash your new clothes before wearing them, the chemicals they use really are pretty harsh. Stop wearing a thong, use it for special occasions only. It can put pressure on nerves that you really don't want irritated.

Use just cool water and your fingers to clean yourself. Hot water will irritate things further and a cloth will retain soap which can further dry things out and irritate.
thanks you guys. the advice has really helped. It is barely irritated at all now that I have discontinued hot water/thongs/and been washing everything with an extra rinse cycle