is it normal to have brown discharge before and after you period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

hi i was just wondering if its normal to have brown discharge the first day you are due to start your period?
Yes, it's just old blood and it's normal to have a brown discharge after your period too.
thank you for your reply evie1963

yes i usally have it at start of me period on the first day im jue for one day then red blood for a couple days then brown blood for last day on my cycle and im pleased now that i know its normal

You're welcome. :)
I'm new here and I wanted to comment on having brown discharge as well.   Last month my period was a week late and this month it was on schedule. However it's been two weeks since the end of my period and now I'm seeing brown stringy vaginal discharge, which for me is strange because that's never happened to me two weeks after any period. I read online that it happens during ovulation but it's never happened to me. I usually get white mucous like vaginal discharge during my ovulation so i'm a bit alarmed about this one. Now not sure if this has anything to do with the other but I ate a lot of this high fiber and omega 3 pasta and I had to make a run for the bathroom the next morning. After that I noticed this brown discharge so  I'm wondering if what I ate had any affect on this. I'm just a little concerned. I don't seem to have any pains however I keep seeing this discharge on and off throughout the day. It's day two of it so if any one can help shed some light - that would help me.  I also want to add that I am  sexually active but haven't been in 3 months and I don't use birth control. I went to the gyno in late August and my results were all clean so I'm good health.  I think my period was late last month due to lots of stress in my personal life. Hope someone can help me out.
yes i get it all the time
I started the Depo shot the end of Sept. about a week ago I started a brownish discharge is that normal after taking the Depo shot??
hey.. i had unprotected sex about a mothn ago and this month my period was a week late which scare me but i got my period today. However it is not completly red like always .. actually is like a brown discharge im worried because i heard that when its brown instead of red means that you are pregnant?? is it true?
hello, flaka20. the brown discharge right before your period might be an implantation bleeding. if yes, then you are pregnant. however, there are a lot of other things that might have caused this, such as infections, scratches, stress and etc. no one could tell this to you for sure, because it varies from person to person. please, let us know how it goes for you
best wishes
i just gone on the pill on the first day of my period and i came off like after 5 days but there has just been brown discharge for 3 days now "/ whyy im getting worried!
Hi iv recently gone on the pill its been just over a month and I haven't had a period yet but I hav been getting this brown discharge for the last 2-3days... I'm worried because I dunno wot it is and I don't know wot to do... Is it a period but just a light one?
ive got the implant in my arm and hvae done for about 4 - 5 months now and for the first 2 months everything was normal apart from my periods being heavier than normal, but then the next time i was on my period i was on for 2 weeks and by the end of the two weeks i started having a brown discharge and ever since its been like it i have about a week of being off my period and then it all happends again, what do you think i should do? :(
Im really Worried its been 15 day's since I started my period obviously on a period for a break and started my new packet, and now im having brown distcharge? is this normal or do i go and see a doctor please help! need some advice. I Have only started this pill about 2 months
Hello I have been having a brown discharge after my period. It has a very foul oder. I am a little concerned because this happens. Few months ago and I went to doctor and he discovered I had pollups on my cervix and removed them and also I got a dnc. I had a procedure call hysteroscopy. He said there was nothing there no cancer. I am having the same. symptoms along with foul odor and brown discharge. Does anyone know anything about this.
When you say foul odor, what does it smell like? For the most part, brown discharge is old blood. It normally doesn't mean anything, but it can be an indicator of infection or STD's if there's other symptoms.
omg... we have the same concern. i had this really foul smelling brown discharge for maybe 5 days now and im really worried... ive been sexually active for three years.(one and the same partner) can anyone tell what's goin on??
hi, i figured you had most of the answers to these type of questions so- i had a brown discharge before my period for like 4 days.. then i got my period when it usually comes but this time it's so light! and usually it's like heavy.. is that normal? or what?
im 16 n my period did come but it was late n right after my period i started  2 spot brownish redish color n this has been goiin on 4 almost a month i dnt use birth controle n no protection i sometimes feel nasea n i sleep alot last nigh i felt real naseated n felt like i was goin 2 throw up srry tmi but i already have a 5month old baby n i didnt spot like i am now n i missed my period with her however i did sleep n felt nasea n like i was goin 2 throw up tmi can i b pregnant again bcuz pregnantcyz r diffrent I can afford 2 b pregnant again its hard with 1 im still a kid my self with 1 baby already some 1 plz help me could i b pregnant  
Hey ...I have a question ...its probably the same as well but I came on mii period was on for 5days going on 6 to be really sure if it was off...then I started spotting brown for a while like of now...is this good or bad ...im kinda scared I haven t had sex since the beginning of May but be sexual active lately as in oral.....is this a bad thing happening do i need to head to a doctor ..and sometimes not all I have pains in mii stomach
Hi  I am new to this as well, I'm 17 years old and I am sextually active. I'm not on birthontrol. And just the other day, a day after my boyfriend and I had sex. Ive noticed it was really hard to pee it felt like I wanted to but it just was just hard to go and when i went it kinda burnned. Later on I noticed I was peeing a little blood out not alot. And I also noticed I had brown discharge. I don't start my period till the 24 of this month. I'm I pregnant?  Or do I just have a tract infection?
I just gotmy period today, and i'm on the pill and as i as in the toilet peeing i wiped my vagina and there was this strng like rown stuff come out its got some weird shape at the end and i dont know what it is ?? please help
I also had sex last weekend and now am experiencing a brownish discharge..Could this be just cause it was my 1st time?  Or stress or am I pregnant?
hello there everyone..im new here & i have questions hopfully sombody can answer...ok here they go why is it that ive been having brown discharge after i have sex.? & it stays wit me for a while an i have bad pains in my vigina (vagina) & tummy....& i havent gotten my period but today a lil bit of blood mixed wit the brown discharge what does that mean...my last boyfriend i had sex wit i had brown discharge but i got my period...& the boy im wit now i have sex & have brown discharge but no period & the months already finna be over wit so can sombody anybody answer these questions...
Hi. I'm a virgin but a little over a week a go me and my boyfriend got carried away making out. We were "dry humping" and basketball shorts were our only barrier and my boyfriend never penetrated me but he did try and now I'm paranoid that I might be pregnant. I should have started my period today but I just spotted and had some brown discharge and o don't have cramps instead I feel nauseous. If I'm pregnant how long do I have to wait to take a pregnancy test
Hi there. I was on the pill for the first time. My las t period came around 12/2-14/2 which I started on my first packet of pill. When I was close to finish the pill, I could feel my period's pain then I started to discharge brown color of my period and it has lasted over 7 days now. The flow rate of my abnormal period is a lot less than normal. Please advise if it is normal since I was on the pill before. Is it because my body has not yet function properly due to the pill? How long does it take to have regular period? Thanks.
I had a brown discharge In October and didn't have a period in Sid months now am spotting after I took a laxative am 50 I assume it is menopause it is possible right.
Hey I am havin dark brown discharge and I havent started my period like I usually do. I usually bleed alot. What does that mean?
Is it normal that even after a few days of my period to be over, that I still have dark blood on my tampons? Its almost black and its kind of making me nervous...
Is it normal to have dark almost black blood on my tampons after a few days when my period ended?
I also had unprotected sex recently and am experiencing very light brown discharge. Last month I had the flu which made my period late by a week. Could that have altered my cycle and caused the discharge? Or could I be pregnant? Please help
I too have a brown discharge to where I have to wear a pad. Its not heavy or anything just worried on what it is and if its normal?
I just got the depo shot about 2 weeks ago & I shouldnt be on my period but ive had brown discharge for 2 days.  should I be worried ?
Ok so me and my boyfriend had sex just one two weeks ago we used a condom .......an since tat last time we had sex I been having cramps and lower back pains.....today me and him have oral sex after we were done I went to the restroom and had brownish discharge in my vagina can I be pregnant?
Last year i had unprotected sex with someone for the first time in my life and i was really nervous so i went str8 to the doctor and had a bunch of std tests done. The results were negative accross the board. A month and a half letter i was rushed to the hosipital because i had a sharp and unbareably painful feeling where your appendix is located- this was while on my period. I thought i was gonna die thats how bad the pain was. They conducted numerous tests and in the end i was sent home and told i was fine. A week or so Before my next period i started noticing an inner tingling sensation which was very uncomfortable and evrytime i'd wipe brown stringy discharge would show up on the toillet paper and sumtimes the toillet seat. Did i mention sex would hurt a week before my period too? Im so scared, ive been to two doctors since who tell me im fine but i know im not. Anyone have any thought?
Firstly my monthly came 1 week early
I haven't had sex for 2 weeks now, had it unprotected asusal with my boyfried and he came inside me.But I realized the day after tht I saw a Cold like lookin discharge on my pantyshield no odour it's not sticky and I say it before my momthlies come so am woundering what can it be please help me could I be pregnant?
hey everyone I have a question like a month again I head  unprotected sex in like 2 weeks or 3 weeks later I came on my Period End of first day It was brown discharge It was a lot I was going on in the off for like 2 weeks and then I start eating like crazy always hungry would never get full sometimes for like a hr  back super hungry what's wrong with me
hi i am new here and i need help i read ur question what happend were you pregnant? Cause i had the same problem of brown discharge a week before and 3 days after my period and have been feeling sick during that time and also have pregnancy symptoms am i pregnant i had a home test before all this and was negative
Hi, I'm 16 years old and my boyfriend and I are sexually active we don't use protection and he doesn't pull out so he cums in me, I'm not on the pill either, we last had sex Sunday and 2 weeks before Sunday and the week before that, well I'm due for my period and brown dischrge is coming out I'm not sure what this meams? Like of I'm pregnant or anything? Can you help me please? Thanks
hey my period was 5 days late and ive had unprotected sex with my boyfriend ive had my period the last 6 days but just today i noticed my period was a brown discharge is this normal or am i pregnant?
It looks like maybe you shouldn't be having sex at all. Your 16 with a 5 month old so you know how you got there. Use your head!!! You shouldn't be having sex anyway. The only way to prevent this from happining again is to STOP having sex.
hey question i been having unprotected sex for the past 3 weeks and the past week ive been having a white discharge after having sex today i went to use the bathroom and this gooey brownish discharge came out i just got off the depot shot last month but havent  and havent got my period this month but had it last month what does it mean?
Hi I am a 27 yr old mother of 4.I just recently had a baby and my first menstral cycle was fine, but my second menstral cycle after the birth of my child and after i began to have sexual intercoarse it came with a brown discharge. Now I do not have an odor or anything like that. I dont have any problems using the restroom. (no pain or dysfunctional color) but I am not sure if the 1 person that I have been sexually active with is being honest about me being the only one. Should I go to the doctor anyway? Please give me some kind of feed back....
I have had brown discharge for the past week now. But its on and off. I had sex this past weekend, but the first time we had sex was maybe two or three weeks ago. Is it normal?!?
Hi all
I am 25 years old,my mensus date was 10-12-2011 .on 24th  to 26th  i had protected sex with my hubby, then on 27-12-2011 i had brown discharge very lightly , when i go for bathroom only this takes place. iam trying to get conceive . but this kind of discharge never happened in my life time.
any sugestions please.

by,
sabala.
im getting brown discharge for the last couple of days now and i havnt had a period since i stopped the injection last year im not pregnant so why is it there?? im really worried
Hi, to all the children having unprotected sex, think about this, vaginal discharge could mean ANYTHING! You are children, stop having sex, and if you continue, at least be smart about it, and I don't mean just being on birth control. Protect yourself!! Respect yourself!! A baby is the nest thing that could happen when you have sex compared to all the diseases out there!! Typically brown discharge after your period is just old blood mixed with normal vaginal discharge, but if you are having sex, and using no form of protection, you probably shouldn't be on the internet trying to diagnose yourself, you should be calling a doctor to get checked out. Hope this gets through to at leather one teen!
ive been having vaginal discharge that were smelly brownish..n now while im ovulating its reddish my period was 5days late last month n then on the 6th day it came down real heavy one day but the second day n 3rd day it was so light i didnt use a tampon...my boyfriend n i dont use condoms we t2c...i had surgery n had my left f.tube was removed so one ovay works they say (doctor) i took a test it was neg but i wonder what could be wrong PLZZZZ HELP!? If u can
Hello evie I'm new to this site and I was hoping u could help me with some questions... I've been on birth control and have been sexually active in the past couple days but it's with my husband now I've messed up on a few days of birth control and I've been having the brown discharge but I'm not even suppose to get my period for a good 2 weeks still... And I don't see blood in it at all it's just brown, idk what I should do?? Or I'f it's normal or if I'm pregnant idk an I was hoping u could help me out a bit???
Hi I'm 16 years old. In october I had unprotected sex for the first time, It only went on for about 5 minutes because I didn't want to risk the chance of getting pregnant, so we stopped. And I asked him if he cummed inside me, and he said he didn't. But..Ever since I've had unprotected sex, My periods have been really weird. And recently before my periods I'm having this thick brown discharge or something coming out of my vagina. I was really worried, But people say it's old blood, or I'm stressed. My periods have only lasted about 3 days and weren't as heavy as they usually are. They were actually pretty light. I don't know if this means I'm pregnant, Or if my cycle is messed up because of stress. I took 3 pregnancy tests. I took one a month after I had unprotected sex, and two in January. They all came out negative. So I don't know if this is normal. Does someone have any idea what's going on? Please help..I'm really worried :l
Thanks.
Did anyone get the results of being pregnant?
Okay, I am only 15 and I am a virgin, and I have that brown stuff to before and after my period. ..
If I had unprotected sex in February and the *** got inside of me,  my period comes the day after,  I miss a month, my period comes back on on April on the day it's suppose to. I'm worried I may be pregnant.  Am I?

I'm having brown discharge to but my period been acting up for these pass couple of months too like it comes on n i bleed for like 15days sometimes then i might skip for like a month r two what could it be like my period just went off but im still cramping n spoting can someone PLEASE!!!!! help me give me an idea of wat it might be
Hi I had sex on the second day of my period and 3/4 day I started getting this brown discharged I really don't know what it is and need some help :/ x
I'm scared. I'm only fourteen and have not gotten my period yet. Two days ago I was changing and when I threw my underwear in my laundry pile I notices that it was brown. I'm really freaked out by this. It's been brown for three days now. I have not ever had sex or anything. Someone please help me. :( it doesn't smell or anything it's just brown
it sounds like u have a uti( urinary tract infection) i got one when i was pregnant and had those same symptoms went to the er thought i was miscarrying but dr did a ultrasound and my now 10 month old was of course fine he gave me antibiotics and all that stopped O.A.N i have a ? 2 this month my normal 5 to 7 day period lasted for 3 and then i got brown stringy stuff only when i took the tampon out and occasionally when i wiped i have bn tired lately but thats it what is wrong
omg seriously???  if you don't already know you can't get pregnant by dry humping and no penetration and he didn't *** in you, i don't think you are ready to be doing what you two have been doing.  EDUCATE yourself before fooling around and no matter what GO ON BIRTH CONTROL immediately, you won't regret doing so, it will eliminate any bad cramps during your periods and will keep your periods regular every month, there are almost zero disadvantages to going on the pill at your age.  trust me.
Hi, I was wondering is its normal to just be discharging brown stuff for two months in a row instead of regular red blood. Is that normal? Or am I pregnant?
Hello im new at this
And im a bit concern about my brown spots . I haven't  had my period for 2 months   and i been spotting  yesterday and today. Idk whats going on.
Hello im new at this