is my large labia minora normal? please help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I am only fifteen and I am really worried. I am just about getting into a proper relationship now but there's no way I would have sex now because I am embarrased of my labia minora. I have gone so far to show people and they have said its fine but it looks really long compared to others and I am a virgin. I have talked to my best friend but it was really hard, I don't think she really understood. Can anyone help me please?! I would be so grateful! Thanks, EJB.
EJB, I have a large labia and so do many, many women. Usually it is caused by childbirth but many women are born with this physical characteristic. It is not ugly or gross and does not cause anything to lack in function in most cases. Be confident in yourself and your beauty! My labia is annoying only because it can be uncomfortable in a thong and I need to 'adjust' a lot during the day, but otherwise it works fine. If it is causing you pain then talk to a Gynecologist about it and they can give you suggestions. BUT if your partner ever says they don't like it, get a new partner. Many men find a large labia attractive and you should be with someone who loves every part of your body!!!