is this normal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

is this normal

Hi i'm Erin and i'm new to this. i am 18 years old and i have never been sexually active. i have never seen another vagina so i was wondering if having one lip bigger than the other is normal and also  if looking some what " floppy or wrinkly", is normal? And if that is  or isnt if there is any procedure that can be done to make them smaller or less wrinkled, because it makes me self concious and i feel it is one of the reasons i have never had sex.
no woman is perfect. i am not sure about the one being bigger or not but as far as i know the wrinkle thing is fine.
You might look at

http://www.bettydodson.com/subsex41genart.htm

to see that female genitals come in about every shape there is.  It's all normal. :)  

Please also consider two things:  
1.  It is not necessary for an 18-year-old to have sex.  
2.  Don't buy into the belief pushed by popular media that there is  some human form that is more "perfect" than others.  Your own form IS perfect.

(((HUGS)))

Annie
oh, no need to worry. One side of mine is bigger. Your fine. I think it's great your 18 and never had sex. You must be a very smart woman.
One of mine is bigger too. I always wondered about that too, but I guess we're fine, huh?
it's just like one foot is larger than the other and usually one breast is larger than the other so why not one vaginal lip?
it's normal! as you get older the color and texture may change as well. it may get more "wrinkly" and go from a pinkish color to a brownish color. kind of like the appearance of a medium-rare piece of roast beef...LOL!!
oceans i like to think of mine like fillet haha.
you are perfectly normal. dont worry about it. when the time does come for you to be intimate with a man he will NOT care. they are not the prettiest of parts to begin with, well to us they arent. im glad you found us to ease your mind, its not really the kind of topic we want to ask our friends or mothers about!
what...fish fillet? LOL! or a slab o liver!
I might add, this topic has been discussed before in this forum, and so I asked my husband if there was ever a chance that a man (in the happy position of meeting some labia face to face) would think they looked funny, too big, or wrong in any way.  He laughed and said "Never in a million years."  To guys, all labia are good labia.
mine are around the same size but they are huge!!  i think it's quite normal to have one side bigger than the other.  i don't think anything that you have two of on your body is the same. my friend had one boob that was a b cup and her other boob was a c cup.  it's normal.
Every vagina is different.  This comes from an active bisexual who has been up close and personal with a lot of them.  It is not abnormal for one side to be bigger than the other, as the others have stated.  It is not uncommon for someone to have 'a lot of lips' either, so wrinkled and bunched up is healthy and fine.

There are proceedures out there to change the shape and appearence of your junk, but they are very painful, they have a large chance of backfiring and leaving you with horrible, horrible scars, and really, aren't necessary in the slightest.  Anyone who says otherwise has never seen girl-bits outside of magazines...they need to get real.
Hi again, i just wanted to say thank you for all of your comments.This was really helpful and has made me feel better about this.
HELLO im 15 and i started my period when i was 12 im not sexually active but one of my lips is very dark and wrinkly and bigger than my other one like erins above. should i worry at a young age that this is happening? .some one please help
to be honest mine are the same way. not to be a perv or anything but this is the way i found out, i looked at a porn magazine. some might this that gross but that was the only way i found out if it was normal or have big lips. my b/f commented on my lips being somewhat large. I flipped through the magazine looked at a couple and notice no one girl is the same. we're all different.
if they look dark like black dark maybe you could ask your gynocoligist about it.