itching/discomfort after sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

itching/discomfort after sex

Since past 2 years I have itching after sex. I have absolutely no itching problems or abnormal discharge at all in between sex (could be up to 6-8 months).

With each itching episode (lasting over a week, with treatment), there is no abnormal or foul smell in the discharge. Sometimes the itch involves more of the vaginal opening, sometimes more on the area near the urethra, or both.

I've been to the gynae last year about this. He ran cultures and PCR tests for gonorhhoea, chlamydia, also blood test for HIV and could only find strep. agalactiae and yeast. So I was given antibiotics and antifungal inserts.And I was told not to practise oral sex since the problem could be the strep from the throat, but this strep agalact is also known as normal flora. After a week, this itching subsided.

I've had 2 boyfriends in the last 2 years. When this first happened I thought it was STD but since this has also occured post sex with condoms, I am puzzled and worried.

It can't be bacterial vaginitis as it doesn't fit the description of foul smelling discharge. It doesn't look like typical yeast infection as sometimes there is normal discharge yet it itches.

I've been worried that I am starting to inspect myself using a mirror or to feel where exactly the itch is coming from. This week I felt a few micro bumps like those (on the tongue) on my inner left labia. I'm not sure if it's been there all the while. However, I can't see it (any bumps) when I look into the mirror.

Please could you help give me some insight on this?

could you have an allergic reaction to the condoms (if you use them) and/or lubrication? also be sure you shower/bathe afterwards using a mild soap.
I agree with the above post.  Lots of women are allergic to the latex or spermicide found in some condoms.  You can switch to non-latex condoms, little bit more pricey than latex ones, but if it keeps you from scratching, it's worth it.  Is there any way your doc could do an allergy test using latex or spermicide?  Hope this helps.  Good Luck!!!
I agree with Ateague. see if ur doctor can do a test to see if ur allergic to anything

good luck hun.
Hi girls,

Thanks a lot for your replies, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, the last time we had sex (last week) it was without condoms.

I used the antifungal creams each time after sex, as the Dr. suggested, to prevent yeast recurrence.

1 or 2 days after sex the slight irritation/itchiness comes back. No abnormal discharge/smell. This time it's in the surrounding urethral area. After I have emptied my bladder, there is a slight discomfort or pain in my urethra.This sounds like UTI to me? But why the itch as well? *puzzled*

In the past the itch/irritation was in the vaginal opening+urethra and the doc has said it was probably yeast.

I read somewhere that chlamydia causes urethral itch but I was tested negative before. Perhaps it's a false negative result??But I also have no problems between sex (which can be up to months)

I am so confused and this will potentiall ruin my sex life. This has happene with my past 2 partners so it's not likely the problem is STD, though it cannot be discounted.

I am planning to go for a checkup today. But it's gonna be expensive as i dont have insurance here. :(
if you are a nhs patient, then the treatment shouldnt cost you a penny but the prescription will if they decide to prescribe you something.  xx
I'll be interested to see what your doc says as I have the same problem....it started about 6 weeks ago (not necessarily after sex and haven't had sex since) and have been to the doctor 5 times.  I have been testes for yeast, BV, every STD known and they can't figure out what it is.  There are no visible lumps, bumps or cuts, just burning, itching and pain.  The doc thought it could be contact dermatitis from something (allergic reaction) but I tried a course of steroids and steroid cream and it didn't work.  Good luck and I'll let you know if I ever figure out what it is.
I have the same problem :( im 20 years old and it just started about 4 months ago. it lasts about a week or longer and it is targeted by my urethera or clitoral opening. its accmpanied by an oderless discharge. everything is very slight. and it doesnt flare up during sex. im so worried. im going to the clinic tomarrow. i was just tested clean and im a clean kid. this is strange... i will let u know if i hear anything interesting lol

<3
I have the same problem as well.  It has been over a year since I've had sex last and now it's back again. For the first 3 fays after sex i ahd no problems then it started. i almost expect it now. There is no odor, it looks normal, sometimes thick, sometimes thin discharge...and white.  I've had a yeast infection before...and BV.  So, I know it's neither and I've been tested for STD at my last appointment (like I do every year) and it was normal.  Could it be just how our bodies react to having sex?  Everything is fine except for the itchiness feeling which isn't bad but enough to be annoying sometimes. I'm not convinced that I'm diseased or have some sort of STD despite what EVERY site says. I've learned to stay away from those sites because they just make you feel worse about the situation.  This has been going with me for years and I know my body by now...just looking for some sort unique response from some one on what it could be.  Please don't respond to this comment if your going to tell me its an STD...it's not, I've been tested for EVERYTHING.  P.S. it's not an allergic reaction to condoms either. I know that I am allergic so I use non latex and no spermicide, not on the pill, and this happens even when a condom is not used.
I also have this - I usually find it's if I havent had sex for a little while and therefore everything is just a little sensitive.  You know...it's kind of like a runner just starting out and getting sore areas on the feet until their feet get used to it.  :)  I've been tested as well - nothing.  Honestly I just think its sensitivity and as the skin around the vaginal opening 'heel's after sex and the friction caused from it, it naturally has a slight itching sensation.  
I cannot say there is any discharge other than what I have been told is completely normal - sometimes a very slight 'flecky' kind of appearance but very minimal.  I've researched it and it sounds to be completely normal discharge as a chemical/biological reaction to sex.
You dont want to use Vagisil or anti-fungal creams if you are not dealing with an infection.  I usually find a ****** with water and a little applecider vinegar relieves the slight itching and any soreness goes away naturally after my body gets used to more frequent sex.

I'll be curious to hear if anyone has any further answers.
Hi!

Are either of you still having this problem? It's 2 am and I'm freaked out.
There is NOTHING, but yet! there must be something, otherwise why does it itch, it's so crazy.
how do you guys deal with it?!
Hello

I have had the very same problem for about ten years. I understand the women who are saying that this is not a std or your standard yeast infection, it is not because of anything that has been said here, yet. I have had the itching and pain after intercourse since I have been married. I only have sex with my husband. We have it once every three days or so, and the itching and pain does not always occur. It does tend to be there after the sex is more intense, it is when i get very excited and we work on that second orgasm.
I don't think anything we are doing sexually should be causing this issue but it must be. After so many years of this discomfort and no answers(I have been to dr's too.) I am looking at something (maybe) to do with the female prostate and whether or not it is "normal" for women to ejaculate when having an orgasm.
   Here are some of my impressions: it is like yeast from your vagina or elsewhere gets into your bladder(urethera). I also find the itch located just around the opening of my vagina. It is not deep inside(the itch). But the pain is deep inside. I feel so "wrecked" inside I get afraid that I did some kind of damage to myself. It has been four or five days since I last had sex and I am still recovering.
   I just found out that women have a prostate and need to do more research.

I am happy to have found this thread, I thank you all for sharing and welcome any suggestions.

I'm 19, and this has only been happening to me the last few months.. It started out as a painfull itch (mainly at night) along my inner 'creases'- inner labia, clit hood, vaginal opening, and around my uretha; and sometimes the skin felt slightly bumpy, like i had sand or grit on my skin. I had had a STD check and I was clean, and wasn't having sex at the time so i thought it was thrush. I used an anti-fungal cream and it cleared up in a few days.
I use non-latex condoms every time i have sex.
Now it happens after sex, and clears up when I use the cream.
I just had a thought- could it just be vaginal dryness? I'm on medication- could be a side effect. I'm going to experiment, and use a good lube next time i have sex (hopefully tonight), as well as have a chat to my pharmacist about creams and stuff for it, and i'll let you know how it goes.
I used lube the last few times i had sex, and experienced no trouble. I also don't use any soap at all when i wash inside my labia- just lots of warm water.And I now use a mild laundry soap and wash my underwear seperately.
I'm 37, married, sex only w/husband.  I've been suffering with this since last November.  I have regular periods, no bc, husband had vasectomy.  This intense itching comes and goes and I've also noticed when I'm flared up small bumps.  Then once you get the itch settled down the area feels slightly sore.  Like you said itching in labial, clitoris area.  Tried otc yeast meds.  Worked at first then became ineffective.  Then in May saw obgyn because I couldn't take it anymore.  Had all the STD tests (all negative - no surprise there).  She said yeast infection, prescribed oral med & special itch cream worked.  Two weeks later had my period and then resumed normal sex practices.  Sure enough after first episode the itch came back.  I've been using no-dye, no-scent soaps, one type of tp without dyes or scent.  This is driving me nuts!  Why can't anyone get this to stop!  Has anyone else come across something?
I just came across this after posting my question which is similar to what you all are experiencing.  I have been with my husband for 5 years and recently he has been ejaculating inside me more frequently and since i have had two of the itching episodes lasting a week or longer. I assume they are yeast infections because i am prone to yeast infections and infact take acidopholus regularly. I am petrified that i am allergic to his semen and i will never be able to have a baby because he cant come inside of me without me getting ayeast infection or atleast what i think is a yeast infection.  Then i was thinking even more deep and it is strange that it just started happening after 5 years. He does take supplements and i was wondering if maybe the supplements could cause something strange in his semen which could then cause me to have a yeast infection.  Any advise would be helpful.
I also forgot to mention that I get tears above my clit and in my perianal area.  They're just like papercuts.  Dear Annoying, funny you should mention allergy.  I was just pondering this myself the other day and wondering if it was possible and if so why didn't it show up sooner?  I clueless and so tired of the itching.  Sometimes is bearable and the others.......
I am so happy to be reading this info.  I am 29 and just started having this problem this year.  I have been without sex for about 1 year, then when I began to start up again....my partner ejaculated inside of me and everything has went wrong ever since.  I have the IUD.  I have the itching for  about 2-3 weeks because I have not found any cream to work well that speeds up the healing.  I itch so badly all around the outside of my vaginal wall.  It is so bad this time around that I even feel it reaching back to my anal opening, but not quite there. I hope that someone has found the cure.  i have not been tested recently and I am way tooo scared.  I spoke to my doctor about it and he did not seem to be worried about it being an STD until I told him that I was.  Again, it is  only really bad after he ejaculates inside me.  We were also only having sex about 2-4 times a month.
Here is a website I ran across about dryness. I have had the same problem as everyone else here for 6 yrs. and like wise been tested, scared, and mad that nothing seems to work. until I came across this and it explains a lot! My personal problem was his size, and dryness! that's it and now i wash clothes in no dye, non allergy (dreft or ALL free and clear) laundry soap, only wash perineal area with water.. making sure to not go past the opening. and no problems now! I use equate personal lube a couple times a day and during sex. that's it! Oh and I quit using tampons they add to the dryness and are bad for yeast! Hope this helps!!! Good luck!!!

http://womenshealth.com/home/628-vaginal-dryness
OMG I have started having this problem last year I have been married for 18 years and not been with any one else other than husband had tests for stds, bv, yeast etc. jsut like the rest and all neg now this is something new we never used condoms as I have tubal and we have no fear of pregnancy we dont have sex as often as we used to we are lucky if its 1 time a month he is very small in size so i know thats not the issue but every time we have sex afterwards the lips they itch soooo bad I mean i have cut them clawing the hell out of them becuz its the worst itch I have ever in my life had! I dont know what or why this all the sudden has happened but it would be nice if it all the sudden stopped :(
I am 26 and in a monogomous relationship myself. My boyfriend and I are in a long-distance relationship so we may not see each other for weeks at a time and then have extremely frequent sex over a period of just a couple of days. I initially discovered that I have a latex allergy which presented itself like a yeast infection. Now we don't use anything (as we are committed) and I've found that after our weekend romps, I leave with extremely swollen and itchy labia. There is no odor and a slight white discharge. Everything down there feels super dry and irritated. I have a hood piercing, so my sensitivity is ten-fold that of the unpierced female. I finally broke down and asked a friend about this, and she said she had the same problem. Sex, especially frequent sex where your partner ejaculates in you, can cause a disruption of the ph balance causing all these symptoms. Douching can make it worse and creams can aggravate the symptoms because it's not an infection, just irritation. I've discovered the product "rephresh". I use it the day before I go see my boyfriend and again when I leave. It's kinda pricey, but it has eliminated the problem for me. It could also help to have your partner pull out, to lessen the chance for irritation and hydrocortisone cream (especially anything with topical lanacaine) will help to treat the itching until everything gets back into balance. Good luck!
Hi everyone, I was reading all of the posts here and I have/had the exact same problem for some time.  Intense itching and sometimes pain around my vagina.  I got checked for every STD known to man, all negative, as was the test for a yeast infection.  As it turns out, there was a very simple cure.  My main problem was dryness/irritation around the vagina.  Now I use neosporin or a fragrance free lotion for sensitive skin all around that area.  It has made a world of difference.  I was sooo frustrated with the intense itching and even pain, and the solution was right in front of me.  Obviously, not everyone here may have the same problem, but hopefully this helps some of you.
Hello, I have only in the recent months started having sex and I thought that I was getting discomfort because it was just something new my body had to get used to. But even after a while it became apparent that this was a different problem as it happens even without penetration, any sort of stimulation of the area which makes me climax brings this on. I am pretty sure I have no STDs as I have only slept with one person who was tested beforehand and I thought at first it might be a urine infection as I would also experience some discomfort at the end of peeing and I started to want to pee a lot more as an addition to the itching, but I found out that I do not have a urine infection. I don't think I'm allergic to condoms because I've had the same results when not using any. I am scared that this problem has no real answer and its kind of putting me off wanting to have sex I have been using a ph balancing soap but it's not really helping I am so glad to have found this thread as now I don't feel like I have a disgusting disease
I have had the same problem for about 5 years ever since my first year of marriage. I noticed when I wash my underwear in tide and use dryer sheets It burns. So I use baby shampoo and no dryer sheets its helps so much! I have been trying to get pregnant for 4 years and its hard when you can't handle sperm in your vagina. I notice when Im really excited for sex and my body is ready it doesnt bother me as much when he goes inside. Im starting to learn that it must be vaginal dryness. So I started taking evening primrose oil. you can also take a tsp. of robitussin cough medacine daily to increase your cervical mucus. And a think called fertilityCM. there all safe to take and over the counter. They should help with any dryness. I hope one of them helps me with my problem and if Im lucky to conceive a baby :) Good Luck!
Same problem here for many years. I've been with my husband for many years (13) we've only every been with each other, but I simply cannot handle it after we have sex. We've tried him pullling out, condoms, no condoms, lube, you name it we've done it. We have one child and the problem persisted right through pregnancy and beyond. Going to the doc tomorrow to hopefully sort this out.
Did sex first time, due to it my skin is itchy and dry .... :/
After I had my boys this started happening to me. My obgyn actually told me that it is just irritation. Pretty much it is throwing your ph off and you may not be producing enough "lubrication". Try using a water based lubricant. It still happens to me every once in a while if i dont get "wet" enough and it still scares me. If you have been tested and are sure it isn't an std then try the lubricant. Sounds like it may be a simple fix, but it worked for me after having my babies.
Hey girls, I had same prob! I found it was my underwear! If I wear some that has nylon I itch. I read about, female Jock inch! It can cause pain while peeing, bumps etc. so maybe try swapping, I was wearing jeans and boy short nickers running around causing frictionand sweat. I started using talc after showering cotton briefs instead of  boyshorts, where the material is heavier. seems to work. After sex it had happened again fiction heat. Always shower and keep fresh hopefully it will clear.
Hi all! I'm going to throw a wrench in the mix here ;) I'm 35 and divorced. I was diagnosed with HSV1 gential (genital) 3 yrs ago, after my bf at the time was cheating on me. Because I've experienced the uncomfortable soreness and itching after intercourse before and I've suffered from no-odor BV before, I figured it was something normal. Just dryness or a ph imbalance, until my dr confirmed I did contract HSV. My first "outbreak" was very painful and irritatingly itchy, but the few "outbreaks" after were minor and only lasted a few days. I haven't had an "outbreak" in about 2 years.

My concern now, is I have been dating someone new. He's a little larger than I'm used to. When we first had sex, I was pretty sore after and it took a few days for the soreness to subside. Almost a week ago we had really intense sex and I was in pain after. I always watch for the symptoms to make sure it's not the HSV flaring up, afraid that I may pass it on to him. A couple nights ago we had sex again. Not as intense, but still a lot more than I've been used to in the past. I woke up the next morning just fine, but I found that I started my period. By the afternoon itching began and some swelling. A day later, I'm now getting a lot of discomfort around the vaginal area and more extreme itching. I've checked for sores to make sure it's not the HSV, and it's really red and swollen and irritated. I also have burning after peeing, inside the urethra.

I'm seriously concerned and not sure if it's HSV or vaginal dryness and irritation from sex... Is anyone else in my shoes, already having a STD and vaginal dryness?
oddly this samething has started happening to me and Im married, but my husband works out of state and so we are only having intercourse every three to four months. I read about applecider baths awhile back and picked some up today because of the irritation. Im confident that it will solve the problem.
I am 20 years old, only have sex with the boyfriend. I also have an IUD and was tested for all STI and STD in the past year. I also got the burning everyone is talking about and the itching. I have allergies to many things so i am careful to avoid anything i am allergic to. hbahr, have you found anything that works? This is beginning to drive me crazy!
Hey guys,

Its so great that the internet is a forum for finding answers to these tricky questions. Its a pity though that we can't just discuss these things with the people we love. because obviously this stuff is a lot more common than we think!

I've been experiencing the same problem recently. I'm having...a lot...of sex with a new partner and, no we don't use condoms.

So apparently the vagina is slightly acidity with a ph of around 4.5. This is important for lowering the chance of other types of bacteria taking up shop down there, as most of the nasty types prefer a more alkaline environment.

Anyway, apparently semen has on average a ph of 7-7.5. So if one regularly has semen in the vagina this can cause the symptoms of BV or bacterial vaginosis. A common symptom of which is itching.

I also have an implanon (a slow release contraceptive which is inserted under the skin) a side effect of which can be blood spotting or irregular periods. I've been bleeding a lot! Blood has a ph of 7.4.

I finally freaked out and asked my mum for help and she was very adamant about yoghurt. We just happened to have some plain organic yoghurt so I applied it liberally inside and outside my vagina. The result was almost instant. Relief from one of the worst itching bouts I've had since seeing this man.

I have also read that apple cider vinegar baths (make it dilute!!) can help restore ph.

Other women here have also suggested other ways to restore ph.

I suggest this be a first test. Often the simplest answer is the most likely.

Not always of course - see your doctor if need be.

Good luck!
I've had this same problem too. After sex, with and without condoms, with and without the guy coming and it still occurs. Also had an std screen recently so its not that. I have minor irritating, annoying itch, pretty dry but slight lumpy/curdy discharge inside vagina and it's not smelly. Have used antifungal creams in the past and seem to work but only after 2-3 days of treatment. I found most inflamed my vagina, Clonea cream has been the only soothing one (sold in Australia and unfortunately only sold in some chemists). I do not want to have to do this everytime after sex!!!! With some research, have narrowed it down to most probably yeast. I came upon this helpful article and will try and start doing some of their suggestions.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/sexual-health/vaginal-itching
Just discovered an ice cube is heaven in relieving it. Just used a few times and now no itch.
Hi, I have read through some of the post.. I am 23 almost 24 and I have never had any problems with my intimate area. I hadnt had sex for around 7 months and have just started again,  we used a new brand of confom to what I would normally buy and it his his first time having sex, so I have ruled it being any serious sexual decease.

My problem is just itching, if feels internal but not deep.. I have no pain, no abnormal discharge just the normal clear stuff.. it doesn't feel really dry though it went dry dometimes during srx because thete was alot of moving around in different positions. The itching isnt the make me crazy kind, but obviously ifeel a need for it to go away..

I dont know what it can be.. well I have 2 ideas, 1. Bladder infection because I am not blessed with a normal bladder and I cant hold it well ir I sometimes pee alot.. but ive never had the itching,  2. Maybe I have fiund ine thing that I am allergic too, since all my lufe I haven't been allergic to anything..... but these are only ideas and worst of all I am in Spain until august...