itchy vulva

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

itchy vulva

My vulva is really itchy but not all the time. it comes and goes and sometimes at the most awkward moments like when im sitting in class. Its not red or swollen and there's no red bumps of any kind. i've never been to a gyne and im kinda embarrassed to go. does anyone know what could be causing the itch or how to treat it?
Of course the real answer is to get you to a doctor to figure out what's going on, but I will take a stab at it. No reason to be embarrassed to go to a doctor, since they are professionals who are there to help you. The fact that you are not red or inflamed is good, but you didn't mention discharge (strange wetness) or smell. If none, my next point would be to consider age (change in life like puberty, etc). Then climate (I assume you live in the northern hemisphere which is hot right now, and heat rashes always used to afflict my fair complectioned body in the worst ways). Third, environmental changes (have you recently switched brands of hygiene products, underwear, bath soap, laundry detergent, or anything that could trigger a reaction from your body?) And lastly, do you swim or lay out in the sun a lot? If so, get out of that swimsuit asap and don't live in it all summer like we used to do when I moved to the states. Get to a doc if this persists. You will be glad you did.
i've had discharge too. but nothing that smells strange.it is, however, a lot and its gotten to a point where i have to wear panty liners every day so i dont ruin my underwear. i'm 18 and have had periods for about 5 years or so and i haven't changed anything.
It might be the panty liner itself is making things worse.  I'd take a couple of sitzbaths in white vinegar and water (mostly water) to discourage itching, and also go with just regular white cotton panties for a while.  Sometimes the absorbent stuff in those paper products (this also goes for babies in disposable diapers) can be very harsh on the sensitive skin in that area.  
To second AnnieBrooke's opinion, make sure you're not using scented ANYTHING in the way of feminine hygiene products. Cotton panties are pretty good as-is for aborbancy, breathability, and the ability to wash... er, sort of. I have tried using a small paste of baking soda, and / or borax to remove stains, but I haven't really found anything that worked that great on my underwear, nor on my husband's white tee's with the ubiquitous armpit yellows. That "oxy-you-know-what" stuff is pretty good, but be careful not to get your nice colours in contact with the stuff. I don't care what they say, I am suspicious of several "bleached out" spots I still blame on it! Sorry, this is not a laundry blog!

I concur with her main point as well. That is, pH is important in regulating your body chemistry. A woman's normal (typical vaginal) pH is slightly on the acidic side (~ 5.5), which is not coincidentally about the same as a DILUTE vinegar / water solution as AnnieBrooke reccommends. Neutral is 7. Above that you become alkaline, creating an environment in which many "harmful" micro-organisms thrive. Her sitz bath idea is a good one, but I personally would refrain from douching. Hope you get back to your comfort zone. Keep learning, and if you find something that works, I encourage you to share it with others. That has been a God-send for me!