iud surgical removal
I have had a mirena IUD for about 4 yrs and4 months. I found out about a year ago during my annual visit that the iud was not visible and had an ultrasound to verify placement. I was told that it was in place but the strings had retreated up into the os. Today I went to have it removed because of abdominal pain, constant spotting and discomfort. The doctor  dilalted me and tried to retrieve it with this metal hook like device. After fishing into my uterus twice and causing me extreme discomfort and cramping I was told that it would not be possible to remove it. He believes that it has implanted it's self into my uterus and I would need surgery to have it removed. I am completed freaked out by this and don't ever remember be told of this complication. Has anyone else experienced this.
I have that problem now. I see that u asked this 09. Can tell how was it? What do I need to expect? I'm very nervous...
I had this a few weeks ago. It's not too bad having it taken out. My IUD had slipped during placement and perforated my lower uterus. Basically I just went into the hospital, they knock you out and then you wake up a few hours later. I had an extra incision though about 3 inches long because it perforated right by my bladder and they had to take out tissue and whatnot.They had also went in through my belly button to make sure there was no major damage anywhere else. In most cases it looks like they just go in vaginally and remove it without cutting into you. Your doctor will be able to explain in better detail what they want to do since each case is different.