labia cyst?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

labia cyst?

After my shower a few days ago i noticed a "bump" on my right labia, it is slowly getting larger and it is not an external bump like a pimple, it is under the skin. Any ladies have any advice or should i try to get an appointment ASAP with my GYN? It is sore to the touch  and red. No drainage or anything.
I've been wondering how you have been.  I haven't seen any of your posts in awhile. Is there a possibility that you used something that irritated you down below?  If not, sounds like you probably should visit the doctor.  Let us know how you make out.
It could be something as simple as an ingrown hair, or it could possibly be a herpes outbreak.  Is it possible that you have contracted an STD?  Whenever in doubt, see your doctor, but it might be nothing.
I had a cyst (a bartholin gland cyst) on my outer labia. It was under the skin and a little red but no "head" or anything. When you lightly squeezed it you could feel that it was solid and the size of a small bean under there. The gyn said it might get bigger with wearing underwear and sex but to be honest when my partner and I started getting more sexually active it started to shrink and now I cant feel it. I know its not "gone" since they have to surgically remove them and it could pop up again, but for now it is.

You should definatly have it looked at
I know it's not an STD as i haven't been intimate with anyone in a few yrs and when i had my hyster in August they checked me for everything.
I have been having some computer issues. My internet browser updated and i lost all my bookmarks and such. Thats why i haven't been posting much.
I had one of those recently too, and yes it sounds like a bartholin's gland cyst.  Mine shrunk and went away on it's own in few days. If yours doesnt go down, and continues to rise, you will need to see a doc. I know they certainly aren't fun, hope you feel better soon!
I am so baffled by my condition, which started a couple months ago.  Was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis first.  Then a yeast infection which was treated with Diflucan. My nurse practictioner told me to not have intercourse for about 10 days to allow the yeast to clear up.  So, I waited the 10 days.  Then, after intercourse, I would feel so uncomfortable - itchy, burny, just not right, but the most alarming thing was that my labia minora (especically one side) would turn bright red and swell up like a balloon.  Very hard, and swollen and would take several hours for the swelling to subside.  This only happens during sex - other than that, no symptoms.  I went back to a different doctor thinking maybe the yeast infection hadn't cleared up - got another dose of Diflucan, lab results showed NO YEAST, and waited another 2 weeks before trying sex again.  

Same thing.  Swelled up literally like a balloon - bright red, hard  labia, uncomforable feeling at the base of vaginal opening.  I have no visible sores, only feel this after/during sex and chlamydia/gonorrhea test are negative.    I have not changed partners, have not changed soaps, lubricants, sheets anything different.  

Any ideas?  I am going for a second opinion with an MD in a couple weeks - but in the meantime, I am freaking out.
What did the balloon thing end up being?
Have you tried sticking a needle directly into it. If so puss should come out and it could be a boil (ingrown hair). Also there is no way to test for herpes. The test that they do is to tell you whether or not you have been exposed and carry it.
i have them quite often. they are almost like boils down there.  what i do is set in a hot tub of water for about 30 minutes. the heat will bring the infection to a head and when it does that you will be able to squeeze it.
An autoimmune disease called Behcet's Syndrome's initial symptoms closely resemble the herpes virus, causing inflammation, then later, vaginal sores, cuts, fissures, bumps, boils, or folliculitis (in grown hairs). If you have repeat episodes of any of these things and your tersts for all STD's ae negative you may then have Behcet's Disease. Other symptoms develop weeks to years later, so it is very important that you find out just what it is that is causing your symptoms. Don't be too quick to brush it off as nothing, Behcet's disease affects people of every age and every race. It is important you see a doctor who know's enough to help you. Ask them about Behcet's Syndrome, if they don't know enough to tell you what it is, they won't be able to tell you if you have it or not. You can also contact the free American Behcet's Disease Website for much more information. Behcet's is not contagious and it doesn't run in families. It is commonely triggered by strep throat, food poisoing or other infections or for unknown reasons that have permenitally damaged the immune system. Stress, injury, common illnesses, and genital to gential (genital) contact are common causes for later flares. People with this illness need to rest more often and take better care of themselves. Even then, they will need medicine and a good doctor to stay well. Some common symptoms are chronic yeast infections, bowel, or bladder inflammaton, later arthritis, chronic fatique, muscle pain, and eventually eye inflammation and central nervous system symptoms.It is different for everyone who has it.  I'm not sure what the problem is for you, but I recommend you ask for a herpes blood test if you have this problem repeatedly. Behcet's syndrome is treated by a Rheumotologist in coordination with your GYN and possibly other doctors.
i suffer from abscess down there for yrs. at the moment i have one on my outer labia lip. its extremly painful. ive been to dr and am on antibiotics and painkillers. it has burst after 4 days of soaking in savlon baths. today ive found and burst 2 more that came up on the join of my leg/thigh area. ive had loads of tests but nothing has ever shown up. they are a pain in the butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no test that can prove whether you have BD or not, it is diagnosed only by the symptoms, some of which may not show up for years. The problem with that is you'd be sick without treatment until it's so bad that a doctor finally feels they have enough visually proof to be comfortable making the diagnosis. I waited 15 years and saw over one hundred doctors, that is about the average right now. Doctors like things to be proven with tests. The first part of treatment is antibotics, to make sure you don't have a lingering infection. You will notice though, this won't stop the symptoms. Bechet's is a reaction your body continues having because the immune system was damaged by something. If you continue to have problems you'll need some prednisolone atleast during flarers and possibly other immune suppressants. Without treatment there is a chance you could have problems like blood clots, stroke, and brain inflammation because Behcet's disease attacks the vascular system and cannot be detected by tests. Most vasculitis has only been studied during autopsies, not from imaging like CT"S and MRI's. Patients often have these tests repeatedly with no luck. Also doctors fail to mention how much radiation you are being exposed to by these tests.  It can get very painful all over, and it can get serious very fast so it's important to fight now, while you have the strength to do it. This sooner you are treated the better you will be doing ten years from now.
Hi all, about 5 weeks ago i found a small lump on my outer labia and since then its been growing and growing in size! I've had ingrowing hairs before, but it doesn't feel the same, this lump is hard and is rather deep. I went to the doctors today and got given a doctor who didnt seem to have a clue what she was doing, she said it felt like a cyst and to just go away leave it and see what happens! I thought after seeing a doctor it would make me feel better but it really hasnt, the lump is the size of about 2peas and is really uncomfy... can anyone help me?

Please read my messages above. Soaking in a hot bath will help bring the infection to a head, then you will be able to drain it. It will not start to heal until you can drain it. Do not try to sqeeze it before it comes to a head or it could rupture under the skin surf and spread the infection around.
An autoimmune disease called Behcet's Syndrome's initial symptoms closely resemble the herpes virus, causing vaginal sores, cuts, fissures, folliculitis and or inflammation in the genital area. Other symptoms develop many years later. It is different in everyone who has it. . Your immune system is in over drive. It is an autoimmune disorder caused by enviromental damage to your immune system.  It could get better or worse, depending on how well you take care of yourselves and how well you are treated.

. My symptoms started at age fifteen with itching, inflammation, then folliculitis (ingrown hairs), then cuts all over the vagina from time to time. It is different for everyone who has it. Some people just have inflammation where others may get cuts, or sores aswell. Folliculitis is a type of acne and is very common in Behcet's and occurs during or before a "flare" and can be on the face or anywhere. Chronic yeast infections and BV come hand and hand with Behcet's because it is a immune system disorder that weakens the immune system because the immune system is working in over drive. You are now allergic to more things. It is not contagious and it doesn't run in families. Researchers around the world think it is triggered by strep throat or from other enviromental causes. It has been proven to not be genetic. Gential (genital) to Gential (genital) contact will cause a reaction "flare" in these people, so will a common illness, injury, or stress. It is very important for people who have this to rest often, use condoms, and take good care of themselves to avoid flares. They will also need medication like steriods and or immune suppressants, depending on their case.  Someone who needs a lot of medication to start, might not need that much with a little time. Common symptoms later in the disease, if it goes untreated, are digestive symptoms, bowel inflammation, possible bladder inflammation that feels like a bladder infection, arthritis, fibromyalga (fibromyalgia), and very late in the disease serious eye inflammation and possibly central nervous system involvement. People rarely die from this illness, the main thing a person has to be worried about is quality of life. That why you want to be proactive, not scared. This disease can be managed if properly treated.

For about ten years I had the gential (genital) symptoms and was sure it was herpes. My doctors said there was nothing else it could be wvwn though all my cultures came back negative and never mentioned it again. None of the medication for herpes had ever helped me and I also noticed my husband never got sick from me. The inflammation was the worst and I was using hydrocortisone on my own by then for some relief.

I started having other symptoms like irritable bowel syndrome and fatigue. Then after I had two children my symptoms got a lot worse. FIbromyalga (fibromyalgia), Interstitial Cystitis, Epi-scleritis (inflammation of the small blood vessels in my eyes), and things like that. My immune system was attacking my body. It took years before I had enough symptoms and saw enough doctors to start getting it treated. They are still not totally sure what is wrong with me. There is a lot of misconceptions about these things because they are thought to be rare. The truth is that they are just highly under treated in the United States. They think I have something called Behcet's Syndrome, the world's oldest known disease. It is an autoimmune disease that can be very mild or more severe. It is hard to tell what it is unless you are able to get enough of the symptoms well documented and you have just the right symptoms even though your symptoms might be totally different than everyone else's symptoms. The stress in your life plays a big role in how bad your flares will be.

There are no tests that can tell if you have Behcet's. It is based on symptoms only. Vaginal symptoms that look like herpes (herpes causes inflammation, cuts, or sores), canker sores in the mouth at least three times per year, and inflammation in the blood vessels in the eyes. It can take years for enough of the symptoms to show up and they usually don't show up at the same time. You really need to fight for answers. Go to the American Behcet's Association for more information, but remember when you are there, those are the worst cases, most people with Behcet's don't have it that severe and do well with treatment.

I don't have an offical Behcet's Syndrome diagnosis yet is because I have yet to have any serious organ damage documented, which can actually be really hard to do. Not everyone has to wait as long as I have been waiting. A lot of the time small damage from tissue and blood vessel inflammation can not be seen by any tests. Often, surgery is required for them to find vasculitis. That is how they found vasculitis in me during surgery looking for endometriosis. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't still be waiting to start treatment. I am lucky because my symptoms have not been as serious as some, but it has also been a big problem because I have been suffering greatly and not gotten the help I needed many times. Most of my symptoms cannot be seen and it's been very hard to prove that something is wrong.  I have had to fight back against people thinking this was all in my mind. I have had to find a medical cause for my symptoms on my own and a lot of time was wasted because it came on over a long period of time. Only one of the hundreds of doctors I've seen had ever even heard of Behcet's Syndrome, he was a GI doctor. They do not look for it. One doctor, my Rheumatologist, told me he didn't even believe it existed. This disease is very real. It's treated all over the world, but most American doctors no nothing about it. They do not know the symptoms or how to treat it. They rely on old information and still think it only happens to people in the middle east even though research has shown it happens because something has damaged the immune system and not because of your genes. It does not run in families and it is not always a text book case. You would think it would show up on MRI's, but often with Behcet't it's the very smallest blood vessels involved, and those don't show up most of the time. It takes a big incident for them to see it and prove that you have it . American doctors don't want to be liable for treating anything until they have enough medical proof to be sure that you require the treatment. It is not easy to get that far. For us, it is more important to get the treatment before something bad happens, not afterwards. I have all the symptoms and I am being treated with immune suppressants and I have had several doctors diagnosis my symptoms as Behcet's Syndrome, but with this disease the ultimate decision is up to the Rheumatologist. My rheumatologist says it shouldn't matter if I have an official diagnosis as long as it is being treated. He says he is more concerned right now that I will lose my ability to qualify for insurance once I have a diagnosis. One thing to look for as far as tests are concern would be a a slighly high white blood cell count...your nerophils mainly, but others white cells also. It could mean just that you aren't feeling well at the time to have it be a little high, but if you can gather your records and show that you have an on going problem with a high white blood cell count, that would be a first step in showing your doctors something is not normal.

One more thing....I've seen over twenty GYN's as well as other doctors and I did my own research on the possible causes for the inflammation and for the cuts some people with Behcet's Syndrome get. I can tell you from what I have learned  that these symptoms are not caused by any type of HPV. They also would not be caused by Herpes 1 in people with no other apparent serious health problems like HIV. Bacterial Vaginosis and Yeast Infections may cause inflammation and small cracks in the folds of the skin, they do not cause cuts in center areas of the skin, and they heal without reoccurance once the infection is treated. An anal fissure can sometimes occur in the center area of the pernium (between the front and back) because of straining or constipation. Unless you have developed more than one cut at a time at some point, or have developed cuts in different areas of the genitals other than the pernium, a pernium cut may just be a fissure. An anal fissure would be a single cut that keeps happening in the same place over and over again on in the center of the pernium. An anal fissure is caused by repeatedly tearing open the thin skin in that area from straining. Not like the small cuts that just happen for no reason the way they happen with the Herpes Simplex Virus and Behcet's Syndrome. I have one cut the comes back over and over again on my pernium area, but I also get cuts in other areas from time to time aswell along with severe inflammation. All of my hormone levels are normal. Those are the only things I've found that could be the possible causes for these symptoms. Just having the inflammation is a symptom, not everyone get's the little cuts. Not everyone get's full blown Behcet's either. If you take good care of yourself, you can do really well.

I wanted to add I have herpes 1. Just about everyone has it. It should not be causing your symptoms unless something is wrong with your immune system. I had the new herpes blood test that showed I have herpes 1 but not herpes 2. We started doing culture after culture of my cuts trying to see if it was herpes 1. I have never had a culture come back positive for anything. It took a long time to prove it, but we have finally established my cuts are not caused by herpes 1. Herpes 1 is much milder than herpes 2 and should not be causing ongoing vaginal symptoms. If it is, it still says something is wrong with your immune system. The white blood cells were the only thing they could find abnormal with my tests. They found them in my blood and in my cultures every time I wasn't feeling good. For years they would say, well that's because you're not feeling well today. Until I gathered 15 years of records showing that I am not feeling well on a regular basis, that was the first clue.

The real reason no one is getting treated for this is all about money. It would cost a lot to treat us, and they also are worried about liability and that having us around makes their jobs a lot more difficult. We force them to go beyond their routine,  beyond what has ever been expected of them. There are nasty little secrets the medical community has ignored, mainly when it comes to enviromental toxins, for many many years. So they only end up treating the one's who are pretty much dying and they have no choice and they tell us how very rare it is and that was why it took them so long to figure it out.
Folliculitis that is a sign of an untreated skin infection, an ingrown hair, or it could be caused by an auto immune disorder. Just keep an eye out for other symptoms.
Thanks for your posts... I have tried quite a few hot baths and it hasnt done anything, this lump isn't near the surface and because of this it really doesnt feel as though it will ever pop! Do you think i'd be over exagerating to go back to my doctors and see someone else? I've had no other problems in the past but this lump has really concerned me.. the doctor i went to see seemed to brush it off and didnt really have a proper examination of the area at all, i think she expects me to live with this cyst forever! has anyone had a cyst removed before?

thanks in advance for your help... :)
should i pop my cyst?
I'm just shy of 20 and I've had this cyst for a few years. I went to a gyno and she brushed me off and said I was clear of any std's. The syst seems to have started and slowly spread, I'm a little concerned and feel really self-conscious about it with my partner.

It's close enough to the surface that I've been able to pop it with a pin, but it doesn't go down. It just seems to stay full of pus and it gets hard. Will it become a callous? I'm scared to let it go because it might develop into something else.

Should I try another doctor?
Try Green Tea bags. I have a bump on my labia also. I figured when I get swelling anywhere else I put Green Tea bags on them and they go away. So far it seems to be working with this.

Put the tea bag in a little bit of water and put it in the microwave. Make sure it's as warm as you can stand to have it. It should help take the swelling down. Like I said, it seems to be working with me. Just make sure you do it every few hours or when it starts hurting.
I myself have been dealing with these "cysts" for several years. I only noticed them when I gained alot of weight in a short span of time. The first one I got I remember thinking I had herpes for sure, it was traumatizing and I wouldn't see a doctor for fear of what the result would be. Then finally after a month it just "popped" and went away. I did full STD screening after that and everything was negative. I have probably had about 20 or so episodes of these cysts. One time it was so bad and painful just under the left labia majora (where it rubs against your jeans) and I was also on my period which seemed to intesify the pain, swelling, and inflammation. I booked it to the ER as I couldnt bear the pain any longer, I hadn't slept in 3 days. They did a simple procedure, I&D (incision and drainage) and that was that. I still have a crater like scar in the area. It seems I get 1-2 every few months, sometimes in the vaginal area, mostly on the inner thighs now, and when they do pop, they leave this ugly black patch of skin or skin tag. I personally believe this has alot to do with your weight, diet, and the amount you exercise. These cysts really are harmless, and they do have to form a head in order to squeeze the liquid out. From personal experience...DO NOT FORCE IT. Warm compresses on and off every 30 minutes, warm baths/showers, teabags also work as a compress. If you force the cyst it WILL become larger, as well as more painful. Be patient, wait for the head to appear. Usually you can tell when a small crater like opening shows in the center. Gently massaging the out areas after warm compresses can ease it into a head. But be patient as this can take several days, sometimes a week depending on how deep it is. The cyst is usually very hard at the base, the goal is to loosen this up and enable it to release completely, not half way. I hope this short story helped someone. If you are seriously concerned with anything at all though, self diagnosis is not the way to go. Many...many...many diagnosis carry the same symptoms of hundreds of diseases and syndromes. Always consult your doctor if you are unsure.
Thanks so much I went to the doctor today and found I had a small cyst on the right labia and I thought I was just gonna die! I just knew it was something worse but its just the most uncomfortable thing ever! I really just want it to go away! But I am grateful I found this site for simple remedies
its probably a pimple
It's just a swollen glad.  Don't worry about it being herpes.  Herpes is purely on the surface, like little blisters, not a hard lump.  I've had two of those lumps, and eventually they go away on their own, they are just a little sore for a while.  
You'll probably laugh at me, but I have a pes-sized labia cyst which I noticed within the last 48 hours. I assumed it was cancer, so I looked up anti-cancer homeopathy to see what could be done until I can have it checked out. I found Turmeric listed as a anti-inflamatory, anti-cancer herb, so I'm sitting here wearing a homemade poltice of turmeric and I've been swallowing mouth fulls of the turmeric powder...

Now I see on this discussion and others that labia cysts are perfectly normal for many women and will likely clear up on their own... So thanks to all of you who took the time to post, share your experiance and set my mind at ease!
Sorry, pea-sized, not pes-sized.... I should proof read before I post. I appoligize for that.
I just wanted to give an update on my labia cyst. I am happy to report that it has shrunk from larger to a pea to barely detectable in less than a week. As mentioned before, I treated it with a homeopatic remedy, one part petroleum jelly to one part turmeric, and alternated that topical ointment with Neosporin. I don't really know if it would have gone away on it's own or if my treatment helped, but I thought I should write back and give an update either way.
Could this be from a night of dancing in tight jeans?  That's what I'm thinking and hopefully it will go away in a few days... glad this site is here to put me at ease a bit!
OMg I have this nasty cyst that started small so I tried to pop it, but that was the worst mistake I could have made because I felt it internally like pop and I literally felt it travel inside my labia wall. I thought it was ok until today I woke up in more pain and I could see it was significantly larger about the size of a gobster candy = between a pea and a small gumball. Then out of no were about 7 hours ago i was getting this terrible pain and i went to the bath room and almost fainted. My left Labia was/ is 3 times the size of my right one =( and it hurts, and i have like was seems to be about 4 more cyst traveling up to my pelvis area, and its red and the whole labia is hard like a rock. I just finished 2 rounds of boiling water towel, and the hardening has softened a little bit and so has the swelling but it hurts alot and I just got my period, and on top of that from strelling and my period my ovarian cyst is killing me ... and the worst is im only 22 yrs old and a virgin and im terrified to go to see a Dr.
i had a small bump/lump/cyst on my labia and i seriously thought i had herpes because it was the day after i had unprotected sex.  

today, i went to the gyno and she told me that it was Folliculitis, due to possible excessive shaving or wearing tight underwear.  i got tested for a full panel of stds anyway, but she said it was nothing to worry about and that i resembled NOTHING of an std or herpes or wart

a week until i get my results back ! AYE, wish me luck

I have had several labia cysts and had to have them removed as they got to the size of a large egg, after surgery I had to have it packed every day so it could heal from the inside and it really does hurt having this done. So sore, one cyst I had removed had about 4feet of packing in. I was told about beating an egg white and putting this on as a drawing agent and believe me it works. Fantastic.........after 24 to 36 hours of putting on every few hours they burst, so please when you feel one coming on don't squeeze it put egg white on and let it burst on its own. I f you have ever had a large one removed and gone thru the agonising routine of unpacking and packing you will never need to go thru it again. best thing I have ever heard for them and works.
My grandmother, mother, aunt, cousins, myself and now, sadly, my two daughters have all suffered from these cysts.  Some of us have been told it's from being overweight, not drinking enough water, wearing tight clothes.  Some of us overweight; some of us healthy weights.  I am a healthy weight, eat a low-fat diet full of lean proteins, fruits & veggies and get lots of exercise and still develop a cyst several times each year; just dealt with a small one this morning.  I believe we have a genetic tendency toward this skin condition.  

Mine have ranged from pea-size to golf ball size.  In researching this condition I continually see information on Bartholin's Cysts.  I do not believe mine are Bartholin's, but sebaceous; extremely painful and life disrupting.  I work at a dairy farm and it's hard to walk, bend, lift, etc. with a swollen and painful growth down there!  I agree that most doctors are quite dismissive of this condition.  They obviously have never experienced it!

The best treatment we have found is warm baths or warm compresses, followed by gentle squeezing to express the abscess with a dab of antibiotic ointment or petroleum jelly to keep it clean while healing.  One doctor prescribed a daily low dose antibiotic for my mom but it didn't really seem to make much difference.

Glad we have this forum to share our experiences!    
I am in the medical field in the OB/GYN area and the best information I can get on these are on the internet.  My wife has several of these each year.  Most will go away on their own but others just get larger and a little painful.  I have learned the best thing to do is to leave them alone until they get about the color of a pearl.  This probably means they are closer to the surface.   At that point I use a cotton swab to remove some layers of skin tissue.  I then puncture with a sterile needle and sqeeze gently with tweezsers.  Usually I will get very hard puss that will slowly drain.  Sometimes this puss is so thick that I pull it out with tweezers and squeeze gently again.  

Other times I remove enough layers of skin that I see it as a puss pocket with a duct on one side.  In that case I simply lift it out.  I use peroxide and dab it on the area until bleeding stops (normally little bleeding).  The key is to leave it alone until it gets that pearl look.

I didn't know they would break on their own.  I had always wonder how a woman handled this problem who didn't have a parter willing to help.  This is NOT an STD and if you have them, you have done nothing wrong.
I had this problem. Veryveryvery painful and enlarged and it never really went away. I went to my primary care who didn't know what it was exactly but it wasn't a bartholin gland cyst since it was too close to the clitoral area.

They got me into a new GYN the next day who said without a partial labiectomy it would only cause me more problems in the future. It was so painful that I set up surgery for the next week. He had me do warm soaks three times a day and apply bactroban ointment to it after each soak. It got soooo much better but there was still something there. So this morning I went into surgery. It took 10 minutes and 3 stitches. The put me in twilight sleep. It's more than I was expecting to have removed because it was actually 3 cysts from sweat glands (although we are waiting on the final pathology report). It sore and he gave me nothing for the pain so I'm on motrin and warm soaks.

Hoping I'll be alright to start work again on monday (it's Friday today). Stitches out in a week. I'm glad to be rid of that unwanted family member on my labia though!!! I just wanted to give a final report to everyone who deals with them. I saw a lot of me toos but not much on what actually was done.
two days ago I found this red painful bump on my labia and it grew in size doubled in two days time now it looks like two of them side by side I have also had what I thought to be pink eye for 3 weeks went to doc for eyes and it was weird almost like he wasn't sure to treat me for pink eye but he gave me drops it is not working though my eyes seem to be getting worse they are very blurred and red and I can't stand light right now! any suggestions????
I also had a cyst on the right side of my libia.  It wasnt painful or anything but it was the size of a quarter and I refused to keep that on me.  I went to the doctor and they did confirm that it was a cyst so, i went in for surgery the next day and had it removed.  They put me to sleep and when I woke up the doctor showed it to me.  It was a thick hard white globI got three stictches, a persription of  pain pills and some bacteria ointment and  they sent me home. Needless to say,  it was worth going to the doctor and having it checked out and removed.
i have multiple labia cyst i get them all the time i get a least one every month i also get cyst on my ovaries but they just said to put hot compresses on them and to take anti inflammatory meds and that there is no cure or preventing them it could be a cause of multiple things i have had them since i was 16 and im 22 now
I have had a small lump growing for about two months on right labia.  Called for a ob-gyn appointment and the nurse told me I needed to go to the hospital for them to pop/cut out the cyst, which is what she said it is.  Then she said they'll pack it.  She told me to soak in hot water 3-4 times a day till then to bring it to a head.  I did this - actually squeezed gently (it hurts!) and small bit of pus came out.  Don't want to go to hospital -- seems extreme!  Going to try to get rest of it out.  Oddly, I have several cysts on my back, too, so wondering if getting a series of cysts means something?
I started getting inflamed cysts in my underarms, and I now have one (I'm assuming, since it feels exactly the same) on my labia. I heard theories that caffeine can be a common factor in breast/underarm cysts, and I was wondering if the new one I have is caused by the same thing. It feels like someone has been poking me in the same spot for a long time, and there's a bean-sized hard lump that is red and irritated-looking. This one is different than the others, not only because of its location, but the size of it. Since I noticed it two days ago, my labia has grown about twice as big as the other one.

I'm glad other people experience this as well...I got really scared when the first few cysts appeared. This one is a little more disconcerting, since it's not in the same spot the others have been, but I'm going to try cutting out caffeine to see if it diminishes like the others did. Definitely going to try soaking it as well. I can't go to the doctor until my work health insurance starts up, but I am definitely going to speak with one about potential causes (besides caffeine, since a doctor DID tell me that can cause them) and remedies.
I'm so thankful there is a sight for this kind of thing where we can share our experiences.  A few months ago I had what looked like a zit on my outside labia and was freaked out about it. It even seemed like it moved around a bit.  The labia swelled on the same side an got significantly more red than the other side and was quite annoying. I made an appointment the next day - couldn't get in for a few days after that.  By the time I had the appointment it had gone away, the swelling had gone down and I felt kinda silly for going in to have something checked out that wasn't there anymore.  However, she did tell me that it was not unusual to get vaginal zits after quitting birthcontrol (I had quit the month before) due to testosterone levels and lower estrogen. She also said to watch my sugar intake.  I hope this helps!
I have suffered with these cysts for about 20 years now.  When it does break, it is blood, bright red, not puss.  Typically it gets pea-sized, but I've had some smaller/some bigger.  They are very, very painful as they get bigger.  This isn't Bartolin as it is definitely under the skin.  I've been reading this whole post and will be looking for more info on Behcet's Syndrome/Disease.  I have osteo-arthritis, fibromyalgia, asthma - immune disorders.  I have a lot of pain all the time and am tired most of the time.  I am on oxygen at night and try to keep my iron up.  Once in a while, I do have a good day, but very rarely.  I used to sit in a warm tub of water, but with bad knees, I shower now.  

I had so many of these over the years on the left side that the labia majora is very shrunken and misshapen. Now they've started on the right side.  I see my GYN in a couple weeks and plan to talk with him about Behcet's.
I have one, or possibly two, of these cysts right now, too, and it hurts so bad it woke me up at night.  It is painful, getting bigger, and I was planning to call my doctor's nurse practitioner on Monday (it's Saturday).  I'm going to try the hot soaks and quit trying to pop it until it's ready.  I just found this forum doing a Yahoo! search and I feel very relieved that most likely this is something that will self resolve.  I was absolutely dreading telling my boyfriend because I didn't know what it was and didn't want to have "that" talk about a sore down there.  I have an Rx for Keflex I never got filled, and was wondering if anyone had any success with antibiotics heloing treat these cysts?  I'm hesitant because I don't want to get a yeast infection after taking antibiotics while I have this cyst since I don't want to be any more uncomfortable than I already am.
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned soaking in Epsom Salts.  I found a cyst last weekend and went into total panic-mode.  I was sure it was herpes or warts.  Fortunately, the doctor told me it was a cyst and would probably come to a head.  She told me to soak three to four times per night in a hot bath with 2 cups of Epsom Salts.  It's been three days and the cyst is now half of its original size and no longer red or painful. I've also had a few great nights of sleep, thanks to the 'relaxation' benefits of Epsom Salts.  This is the best way to rid your body of toxins. It beats antibiotics any day.  Try it for a few weeks and I can guarantee your cysts will disappear.
hi there, i think i have a cyst on my left labia. im not quite sure but, i have had it for a few years now, and its getting bigger, consequently my left labia is 2-3 times the size of my right, and gets bigger after sex. you cant see anything on the surface, its just red, but other than that its just looks like my labia is inflamed.. i went to the doctor, and she didnt even examine me just refered me onto the gyno, but i cant afford to go at the moment, so should i see another doctor, and is this even a cyst?? really worried....  
Hi Everyone. After some intense sex last night I noticed I had a bean-sized painless colorless cyst-like hard bump inside my right labia. This morning it looked slightly bigger but remained painless and colorless. After reading the posts here and on other sites I self-diagnosed as Bartholin gland cyst. So I took a hot shower and then took a sterile syringe needle and punctured it. Surprisingly it was not very painful at all. Clear liquid and mixed with blood started draining immediately and within 15 minutes the thing was gone. I don’t know if I did the right thing and if there are any dangers associated with it and whether it will come back later but at this point it seems to have done the trick so I decided to share the experience. Will keep you all posted.  
Update on the above… Had more sex over the weekend and the cyst did not reappear. Woohoo!
Hi everyone. Here is another update on the above. Last Saturday, May 28th, exactly one month later, the cyst came back in the same place under the same scenario and I punctured it just like I did the first time it happened and it drained nicely just like it did before. The only difference was that after it drained it filled right back up within a few hours. I repeated the process a couple more times since then with the same results until this morning I concluded that it’s probably only a matter of time until the repeated puncturing will infect the thing and create a bigger problem. So I turned myself in to the doctor. The doctor said, quote, “oh, it is just a cyst, nothing to worry about” and drained it the exact same way I did: disinfected the area, took a sterile syringe needle and punctured it draining the liquid. She said it wasn’t a Bartholin gland cyst which I was starting to realize because my cyst was pretty far from the 4 or 8 o’clock  positions where Bartholin glands are but more at like 11, 11:30  o’clock, right near the clitoris. She didn’t say which gland or whatever else it was, just said it was a cyst and recommended soaking in a hot tub every evening to help it drain and that it will go away on its own. Oh and yeah, she said I shouldn’t puncture it on my own and that if it gets uncomfortably big I should come in and they will drain it in the office. So we’ll see what happens next…
I'm 52 and somewhat underweight, so I don't think that has much to do with it, as I have read in previous posts.  I have been suffering for the first time with labial cysts for the past two weeks. I went to my ob this week and she drained the one that was present while I was in her office.  She also told me to use Dial soap as it has an antibacterial property to prevent future outbreaks.  Of course my labia was still extremely swollen when I left her office and when the swelling receded, I had another cyst present in a different location.  I have been using hot compresses to see if that resolves the issue.  I just want to say how sorry I am for anyone who has been suffering with this for years!!  I have a job where it's necessary to sit then get up and move around and sit again continuously during the day and it's really quite painful.  
I am 37 year old woman suffering with HS hidradenitis sup for 20 years or more.  It is hereditary, my mother had it my sister and brother has it.  Good news is i know what it is bad news is NO cure.  We get boil like bumps filled with pus and blood usually in groin, on labia and armpits.  They hurt like hell and leave nasty looking scars.  They are deeply rooted and seem to occur when its hot out and when im stressed out.  Im not overweight and have little caffeine.  I recomend searching hidradenitis online, your will be amazed.  
Im 18 and have just found a bump on my labia majora at the back on the left hand side. it is the size of a very small pea but not a ball, its flat. It is normal skin colour and has not really changed in size, colour or shape. I sometimes get a slight sting when i pea but i think it is due to a small rip in the skin on it and stings only when i pinch it but again this could be from the rip. Im not sexually active and have no clue what caused this. im freaking out thinking its a bartholin gland cyst, but from what iv read and googled they are larger.

Please can someone describe what a pimple or ingrown hair looks like as iv never had one and google images is not helpful, and im hoping it is what i have.

any other suggestions on what it is would be so helpful as im freaking out
I have had the same flat type of lump on the outside of labia come up in the past 2 weeks.  This morning a new one is on the other side of the labia.  I am seeing the doctor tomorrow.  I've had the cysts that come to a head and burst several times and even had one lanced and drained by the doctor.   I have been seeing the comments about Behcet's Syndrome and will mention this to the doctor.  I am a NH Lymphoma (in remission) patient and this concerns me.  I have had a blood test in the past 2 months that indicated a mildly high autoimmune and this may be the cause.  My recommendation is to see a doctor.  I'm just not into the self diagnosis and treatment. . . too risky.
Hi, I have the same dilemma? I have seen my physicians assistant and she said it was nothing to worry about. Done! I went away feeling uncomfortable as well, so I went to Planned Parenthood. The doctor there said it also was nothing to worry about and discounted my desire to have it removed, saying it would probably only come back. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper. I do not understand why this is so difficult to take care of and remove. In both cases, I paid cash as I do not have insurance.I certainly hope that is not the reason. Not sure what to do from here, have you had any luck with your condition?
I've had a bartholin gland/cyst forever now and the other day when I was having sex I felt a pinch and had to stop...here I think my gland moved or the fluids went somewhere else?!? Now instead of closer to butt at posterior its now near clitoris in my upper labia minor...it hurts from top of clitoris to vaginal opening is soft and feels full of fluid I can feel it move around in there...the gland I had is gone no marble sized ball anymore...is it possible it moved popped under my skin?!? Has anyone had this happen before? Thanks
I noticed something on my clitoral are getting larger than normal, this was after my last child. I showed the Dr on my 6 week appt. and he didnt know what it was, and he said since it didnt hurt just to leave it alone. Well 6 years later and its big enough to hang out of between my lips and its a hassle to put up with and it freaks my husband out. It doesnt hurt stil but I want rid of it. Its not hard it looks like the color its supposed to except that its big and round. Its soft and feels like its thin liquid inside of it. Does anyone know anything about this? It looks like its the skin directly covering the clitoris. Im uninsured and am praying for a home remedy but will go to dr if I have to. I just dont want to mess with my Orgasms because theyre good and I don't wanna screw with that.Thanks for reading and offering your advise!
Hi, I'm rachael, I'm only 17 and i have encounted several cysts...
I have never went to the doctor..
This time its really very worse...It Big,hard,reddish and extremely painful...
My mum asked me to use a needle to squeeze it out...but i'm very scared as its painful already.my grandma ask me to w8 until i see a opening like a eye in the centre then to squeeze it out.....It really hurts when i walk and do things.....:(
I had a cyst on my left labia majora for a good couple of years. Was the size of a pea, perfectly round and hard and you could see it as a white shape under the skin.  I did try to pop it once with a pin but nothing came out. My GP said it was a retentive cyst and said to leave it alone.  Well a few months ago it changed shape and got softer so the other day I used one of those big old needles for taking blood and jabbed it. As soon as I removed the needle this long sausage of dirty yellow foul smelling stuff shot out of the hole. Each time I squeezed yet more came out, until eventually it would yield no more.  Since then it has filled with what looks like liquid pus on a daily basis but smells truly foul.  Also, where I squeezed it so hard the surface skin came away the next day so it looks like a sore now!  Lesson learnt I think, leave them alone! I am off to the Polyclinic tonight to see what help they can give me. Am off on holiday in 10 days and do NOT want to take that with me!
I have this problem too. I dont know what it is.  Any other suggestions?
I have this problem too. Idk what it is.
I am 21 (almost 22) years old. I am sexually active, but have only ever had one sexual partner and we have been together for several years. About a year ago I noticed this little bump on the right outer side of my vagina (near the bottom). When I had my next doctors app. I talked to her about it, but because it wasn't there for her to see it was hard to diagnose. She suggested to leave it be, as it was gone. A few months later it came back. It was not very big (maybe pea sized), and it only hurt when i would touch it (with some pressure). Again I left it, and it went away. This re-occured a total of 3 times. Just this past weekend it came back! But this time, it is not going away and it continues to grow. It is now 5 days later and it gets bigger and more soar each day. I went to my doctors yesterday (an on-call doctor as my regular is on maternity leave) and she said it is a cyst/boil. She said there is not too much to diferentiate the two, except one is 1 large pocket of puss, and the other is several pockets or compartments of puss. She poked and dug around (super uncomfortable!) but she could not find a head. She gave me a perscription for some numbing cream (which helps a bit) and suggested alternating between warm/hot and cold compresses. Warm to reduce pain, and cold to reduce swelling. She told me to watch it (or because it is in a quite difficult place to see, to ask my partner..which i am greatful he is so helpful and not at all sickened by this, which I think I would be if I were a guy), and to wait until a head appears. She suggested that it would appear on the most tender spot, and would appear whitish in colour. At this time I am to immediatly to make an appointment and she will make an incision to drain the puss. She explained that the reason she did not want to do this at my first appointment is because if the incision is not made into the head, then it will not drain the puss from all the pockets/compartments, and it will eventually come back again.
The pain is almost unbearable, I have still been going to work (which ***** because I work with kids and am constantly up and down and moving), but I am trying to limit my moving. At this point it generally hurts regardless of wether im moving or not, sitting and walking are very painfull. I have been taking advil (and tonight a tylonal 3), and applying the numbing cream (over the counter $14.99CAN) which seems to help. After reading these threads I got the idea to take a hot bath (which is where I am now) and it seems to be extremely helpful with dulling the pain. Before I got in the bath I used a mirror and was looking and where the head appears to be forming is quite bruised (a purple-black colour). I am hoping to make my appointment for tomorrow or Thursday at the lastest!! I just thought I would share my experience.
SUMED UP:
- DO NOT TRY TO SQUEEZE OR DRAIN YOURSELF! - you are likely not to get it all, and this will cause it to come back and often become more and more painful each time.
- DON'T BE EMBARASSED! - talk to you mom/parent/partner and go see the doctor!! let them know you have done your research and would like to have it surgically removed (small incision and stitches, few days bed rest)
- PAIN MEDICATION AND HOT BATHS! - these are the two things I have found to be most helpful. up until tonight i was taking extra strength advil as a pain killer. mind you it does not take the pain away competly, it will reduce it, and in my case make it barable.
- TAKE IT EASY!! - I have been careful to take it slow when going in a sitting position, or coming to a stand, bending over and walking (also walking with a little bit of a limp). mine is also right at the fold of my vagina and leg (right where my underwear line is!!!) so I avoid wearing underwear when possible. as soon as i get home, off they come.

I hope this helped somebody, don't fret as it is nothing life threatening or STD's, but it is discomforting to say the least and don't brush it off (like i did), because in my experience it will come back, and it will come back worse!!
Hi, I've been getting bartholins cyst since I was 16 years old. And now I'm 20. At this current moment I'm exsperiencing the cyst. I'm in so much pain. I went to th gyn yesterday and they we're going to lance it but I'm terrified of
needles. Anyway. You can either go to a gyn to get it lanced exspecilly to see If its infected. Or yu can juss wait for it to come to a head and pop on its own. But once that pops you will be pain free
I have a lump on the right side of my lady parts and its getting bigger, there is no head and no puss..just wondered if anyone has experienced this.
a few days ago i cut myself shaving down there and I've had a pain on my right lip as if it were still cut but today i saw a hard small bump on my labia, its hard and a little bit white, i've never had something like this i'm wondering if this could be a possible cyst? i tried poping it but nothing came out and it just caused more pain then anything, help!
I've just read your comment since I haven't researched this before. I have had this growth on my labia for about 4 years. Finally got nerve to see the doctor about it. The guess was a Bartholin cyst, but it doesn't seem to agree with what I have. It is 3" long and round with a radius of about 1". Surgery is being done to remove it. None of those involved seem to know much about it. Now, since I'm going into the hospital, I have shared it with family & have found that my daughters & gr-daughters all have this problem. Sizes are varied. Must be genetic.
im very upsetted and annoyed, there is a hard boil, or a lump or something i dont know what it is it feels like a pore on my left labia and i cant get to it to squeeze it or whatever i dont even have a needle to get rid of it. its annoying me really bad and im worried i have to go to the doctor for it. i dont have anything to get rid of it. its small and in the size of a small pimple but its annoying as heck and it made my left labial area sore and tender and burning almost not burning to where i cant sit on a toilet though its just aggravating. i had a partial hysterectomy a few years ago and i have this occasional spotting bleeding (like in a sense of a period but its not a period) last time i had it was last month but its january now and i dont know if that is a annoying side effect of the bleeding spotting thing that i have to encounter like once every 7 months. do i have to go to the doctor for this and what ointments or whatever do i need to get to get rid of this thing since i cant pop it its situated in a lil spot to where i cant pop it.
I had them for a few years and they got real big I soaked in apple cider vinegar and popped it blood and stuff came out and it flattened out and went away it came back in a year and I did the same thing .  Doctor said I had to go to a plastic surgeon to get them out or a dermatologist.  But this works soak in acv and pop it.
Doctor asked if I shaved and I do so I have stopped shaving.  She said these were glands that become infected and become cysts.  So maybe if we stop shaving and soak them because they do go away.
I have had this type of lump/bump several times....I am not a doctor and I am not sure about this but I think it is glandular and results from an injury to that part or another part of one's body.  Even bruising on an upper limb or torso can bring on this lump.  Also, I have had lumps under my armpit that, I believe, are also glandular (or gland-related) and appear as reactions to bumps, cuts, bruises or some type of injury to a part of one's body.  The injury can be very minor.  I'm not sure, but from my experience, the lump disappears within a few days or so, possibly because the injury heals.
but it hurts so much i dont think i can even sqeeze it with a head on it its so sore i cant even touch it? what sould i do its is very very painful even after a bath
I had something similar but I think it came about because my panties were too tight and at night caused an irritation on my right labia that over the day became a painful cyst that filled with a clear liquid.
I applied a drawing salve on it and covered with a light pad. Although irritating for the day it finally broke. In the next two days the cyst area healed. This happened once before about ten years ago so don't think it was anything more than perhaps an ingrown hair or possibly an infection because of the irritation.  
I'm not sure if what I was getting is what the rest of you are describing, but, I found a "cure" to my very, very painful, occasional bumps, cysts, whatever you want to call them.  I found that I would get them after sex, or even after manual stimulation.  I hit the health food store, and got some oil of clove and mixed just a couple of drops in  with some olive oil.  I spread it on, even before a bump showed up.  Spread it on after a night of sex or manual stimulation, I haven't had one of those dreaded bumps in several months.  (thank goodness!).

Use the eseential oils VERY sparingly.  Just a couple of drops in some olive oil, otherwise, it will BURN like heck.  Another oil I tried was "purification" oil.  It's a combination of Citronella, rosemary, lavandin, and lemongrass.

So, my story is....get to the bump before it gets to you.  LOL.  Hope this helps.
A Bartholin gland duct can get blocked by infection, swelling, or thick mucus.1 When a duct gets blocked, fluid builds up and creates a cyst. The cyst can get bigger after sex, because the glands make more fluid during sex.
I have a ball on my left labia. It was small n little by little its gettin bigger. This mornin i woke up n omg it hurts like never before the ball is bigger n tender to the touch! N e ideas as to wat it is n wat i should do??
Hi, thanks for your comment.  I have had luck doing that with lavender oil but it didn't seem to prevent it, just shrink it.  Clove oil is pretty strong, you are very brave! :)

For all the above posts, I found that these developed in the later half of my cycle, after ovulation and when I take wild yam, which is basically a natural progesterone, they went away.  I get my stuff online from an herbal company called Terra Firma Botanicals, she makes a wild yam combo that really seems to help.

I never asked her specifically about the cysts, I was actually taking the wild yam for some perimenopause type symptoms.  But within a month the cysts went away.  This past month I ran out and sure enough, I had a cyst again right before my period.

Does anyone else notice this pattern?
Thanks!
I agree. Epsom Salt baths (in the hottest water that you can stand) and hot compresses are the key.  It took 6 days for mine to come to a head but it did and it did it on it's own (started out like a pimple on the left outer labia lip and swelled to ten times the size that it started out as before it came to a head).  I did the salt baths 3-4 times a day for no less than 20 minutes and when I couldn't walk, I sat with a hot handtowel on it for as long as I could stand it for as hot as I could stand it.  

For the times that I had to walk, I put a piece of gauze over it and taped it the best I could.  I found that a pad rubbed it and moved against me but the gauze stayed with me because it was taped.  That is how I managed to get through the night and get some sleep.  

Once it popped, ironically I was in a salt bath when it popped, it was a yellow liquid like puss followed by a clear/bloody/pinkish colored puss.  I then put hydrogen peroxide on it with a Q-tip, put a bandaid on it, and followed that with underwear and a pantyliner and I feel sooo much better.  I can walk again today.  

I will continue to do the salt baths because it feels like there is still more in there but don't rush the process because you run the risk of a bigger infection.  

Also, for those of you that did get an antibiotic and are afraid of the yeast infection that may follow, AZO Yeast pills can be found at any pharmacy or store with a pharmacy section, like WalMart or Target.  Follow the directions (I believe it's 3 times a day while taking an antibiotic and once a day as a normal regimine to avoid them all together).  You can also load up on plain yogurt to help avoid or tackle a yeast infecton.

Please note, I recently moved out of state and have not found a new doctor yet so my old doctor in my old state did perscribe an antibiotic for me and had it called into my pharmacy in my new state.  He knows I don't run to him every other week for something so I think he knew if I was calling, I really had a problem. I really think that is why he called in the antibiotic for me. I tell you all of this so that you will know why I didn't actually see a doctor but did get an antibiotic.  These are all the things my doctor told me to do without actually seeing me.

(I have since scheduled a new patient appt. with a doctor in my new city.)
I know this sounds crazy but I just had a lump in the same spot a couple of days ago. i have gotten them before and had to wait until it came to a head which took forever and was very uncomfortable. I would sit in a hot tub for hours...lol. When I finally was able to pop it it was not pleasant. Hurt like heck. This time I decided to put some Neutrogena spot treatment for a couple of days. I could believe how much better it felt the next day. I put a dab on each night after a shower. Then one night I noticed a little spotting. the cyst had opened and was leaking. No squeezing or pain necesarry. dont know if this will work for everyone. but it saved me a ton of pain
Thank-you Trac777 for all of your helpful information regarding Behcet's Disease. It is an immense help to me to know about this Disease, as I have been experiencing many symptoms that are similar to this and am starting to feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall, just going round and round in circles visiting doctors and the hospital with the same abcess (abscess)/ cyst problems. These started when I had my son by an emergency c-section and then developed an infection in hospital afterwards. I then developed mastitis which led to multiple breast abcesses, and now I have been having labial cyst/ abcesses and folliculitis, bacterial vaginosis and other issues, including flare ups when I am tired or stressed. I was also diagnosed with IBS as a teenager, and have had surgeries for Endometriosis and Anal fissures in the past. I will now finally feel like I have a new suggestion to offer the doctors here in New Zealand, although I don't feel confident that they will listen unfortunately :( Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you from the bottom of my heart for your posts though, It was great to feel a sense that other people may just understand what I am going through. Be strong, Kia kaha everyone who is suffering
i first got a 'cyst' on my right labia about 6 months ago, it went away and didn't give me much grief but there was always a tiny lump under the skin left there. Then last week the lump started to flare up again and this time it has been about the size of a peanut and extremely painful.

My mother is a nurse and i asked her about it and she said the whole hot soak and compression thing. I did that and then took to it with a needle. I didn't get anything out of it with the needle because it was so painful and i was too chicken to stick the needle in very far.

But the next day (today) i found it had popped overnight and there was a lot of blood in mine, not much pus but i think it is draining on its own. I'm wearing a pad for the leakage.

It still feels like there is a hard lump of pus under the skin but my mum said this is probably just inflamed tissue and will go down after a few days. The pain has reduced a lot and i am so relieved, I didn't go to the doctor but if it comes up again i most probably will to get it cut out.
Hello, first and foremost ladies see a GYN ASAP.  

I'm 30 years old, little complicated age, and it happened to me twice.

Im super sensitive in my area and i learned that i cant shave with the same shaver more than once. about 4 years ago I developed a abscess in my right upper labia minora. Its not bartholin cyst because of the area . It's like the whole right side of my clitoris was swollen, first I felt a lump within the clitoris, a little painful when i squeezed into it. Then slowly it started increasing in size. My doctor recommended lots a hot sitz baths as hot as you can take it two to three times a day. He diagnosed it as folicutis. Where i shaved and as the hairs grew back maybe with some type of bacteria. The hairs irritated my clitoris and maybe even punctured it. This caused my clitoris irritation and formed an infection/absess. So the infection has no where to go, in the meantime it blows up into the size of a golf ball almost. The sitz baths stimulates the abscess to mature. I did for three to four days. The doctor said it would be better to let the infection find its way out by itself, cause if he cuts into it, it may bleed to much if it's not mature and ready to pop.  When I couldn't take the pain no more, could nt walk without my legs wide open and couldn't sit. I took of in my car to the ER, on thevway there the abscess popped, found its own way out. Boy was I relieved I knew this was the road to recovery! The doctor finished squeezing the remainder of it, took some antibiotics and a one pill to prevent yeast infection from the antibiotic. I continued some sitz baths and rinsed with a little iodine and boiled fresh water I mixed in a hygienic bottle every time I used the toilet. And changed mini gauzes I used for the drainage. The doctor did mention that it may or may not reoccur.

Well four years later after not having any problems and shaving normally. It reoccurred same area starting with a bump last week, I started hot sitz baths, boiled water and let it cool off a bit. A little cortisone to relieve the discomfort a little. But it just got bigger and bigger. Again same doctor as four years ago he didnt want to cut into it yet it wasnt infected just inflamed. But it so uncomfortable, barely sit or walk taking of work SMH .i needed to speed this process up a bit. Home remedies of mine were hot sitz bath with a cup of Epsom salt three times a day. At night I rubbed a little Vicks vapor rub around the area mainly outer lips the cooling helps it mature Faster and surface. Yesterday one week later it got purple and huge like a balloon no sign of a head or infection coming to the surface. Very painful, I rushed back to the ER my doctor came he examined it, said it was ready . I told him to go ahead and drain it. OMg it was so painfull I had to hold on tight. The doc did local anesthesia right in the abscess which was the worst, cut it open in an area that would heal fast and not cause too much dismority of tissue when it heals. He drained and drained shot some antibiotics and numbing medicine for the pain in there. Was sent home with Tylenol cod 3. Yesterday it burned it stinged and it was extremely painful. pain medicine didn't work . Ibuprofen 600 helped with pain and inflammation and I was able to sleep. I took 1 1/2 ibprofens =900 .

Today I woke up brand new on the road to heeling again lots of sitz baths with a little iodine in the water not too hot just warm, changing gauze numerous times and keeping area clean, the swelling went down a whole lot and hopefully this never comes back ever again.  

Take good care ladies! Your not alone, hope this helps.

Ladies I know how horrible this problem can be! I get them probably at least once a month mostly due to wearing pants and/or sex. I have been to the OBGYN about it & she told me its only an abscess and unfortunatley theres not much you can do other than wait for it to go away or pop it. Ive done the popping which is extremely painful but i have also found (from reading other blogs) a topical treatment called TendSkin! Tend Skin works, I only use it once I get them. I can't afford to use it daily at the time but I imagine it would be twice as effective if used daily. if you plan to only use it once you get the abscess it will take about 3 days to clear up.

Also, my doctor advised not wearing tight pants and/or even using baby powder as they likely develop from lack of air circulation and sweat.

Tend Skin for anyone who needs an alternative to popping!

I wish there was a better preventative treatment!!!!
I had a lump in my left labia, went to an OBGYN and told that it was a labial cyst. The following week i had it excised. It took about an hour for the surgery but the recovery was hell! I stayed in bed for a week. I can't sit properly! It took about three-four weeks for me to do my normal daily routine. Now i'm six weeks post-operation but there are times that it swells when i feel aroused or after self stimulation. It takes about a day or two for the swelling to go away. I'm a virgin and i worry about having a normal sex life because of this. Have you guys experienced this? Im freaking out! I dont want another surgery!!! Help please!!
I think I have a Bartholin cyst on my labia, and it starting to get a little painful/sore. I'd really like to see a gyno, just to be sure, but I just recently turned 16 a few days ago and I'm too embarrassed to ask my mother to take me to one. If there are any home remedies that really work, please help!
My daughter had a problem with getting multiple cysts at a time.  The gyn didn't really know how to treat them.  When she went to the dermatologist she mentioned the problem.  It was recommended that she buy a over-the-counter skin wash called HIBICLENS to use on the pubic area.  It is a antiseptic/antimicrobial skin cleanser.  She has bought it at all major drug stores.  It is a preventitive and has worked MIRACLES for her.  Thought I'd pass that info on so maybe it will help someone, like it did my daughter.  She sometimes gets a little flare-up, but nothing like when she was getting 4 or 5 cycts at a time.  
Years ago i have 4 skin infections come up in the area of my panty line and one on my vulva.  The GYN doc stated they were boils and treated me with antibiotic and went away. Then 10 yrs passed and one area on my vulva would absess (abscess) and drain with puss and the GYN stated it was a boil again.  Treated with antibiotics, cleaned with alcohol and antibiotic oitment but it would go away and in 30 days be back with same issues.  very painful.  I requested the doctor is there a way to get rid of it and he said it would have to be surgically removed so I did, upon further evaluation they thought it was a tumor because it was very deep but upon results back it was a cycst.  It initially was a hard lump under the skin that would fester and drain, bleed and very painful.  So far that area has not reappeared with another cyst and the GYN stated most likely will never, but now I have a lump under my skin near my inner thigh close to the panty line and i cannot wear any panties with a thick band otherwise it rubs and irritates this growth which is different from the one I had surgically removed because it has never festered up to drain.  Going to GYN to check this.
That is definitely Bacteria Vaginosis.  I hope it's subsided (considering your post was like 6 years ago lol)  I have/had it myself and suffered like a dog for years.  Almost every time I had sex my genitals, labia and everything would swell and be extremely itchy and painful.  There's not much of anything you can do because BV is usually caused by natural high Ph levels.  

Buy yourself some Acidophalis (it's a natural bacterial culture) it counteracts the Ph levels and battles the bad bacterias found in women and replaces with good, a lot like yogurt but more so!  It's a LIFE SAVER!!
i have a red hard lump on my labia  is sore n made my gland swell to , i thought it was a ingrowing hair so tried to pop it n squeeze it but since that been feelin out of sorts n feelin ill like ive got a infection am really worried x
Ask a vulvar specialist to check for vulvadynia (also goes by other names). It's easy to check for.  Treatment is usually atarax or some other antihistamine with skin effects, diet moderation, and possibly switching to skirts instead of pants.  It's not known whether this is triggered by yeast infections or by the treatment for those infections.  
Diet means low oxalates: tea, coffee, etc. Check on line for low-oxalate diet.
its been cold outside so one day i decided to wear my leggings under my skinny jeans laundry day of course i was wearing my church underwear (holes), and lik 2 days later i noticed a difference..i ladies do have herpes and knw the difference between a sore and a lump ive never had this before and dont knw wat to think of it im alittle shocked actually coming from me. its about the size of a pea it dont have a head and its only painful when pressure is applied or when i wipe idk wat this is im praying its something that goes away really scared i only have 1 partner and was tested back in december 3rd everything was negative of course i also take medicine for my outbreaks and havnt had one sence ive been on the meds so to see this lump scared me at first because i do have unprotected sex SOMETIMES my partner does knw and is okay with it but we recently had unprotected sex during this lump situation and im alittle scared is it a cyst or something i dont have good insurance so idk if the health department can determine wat exactly wat it is but i dont want to wait around if it GROWS BIGGER!!! plzzzz someone reasure me its something that goes away?
This one made me feel better...I almost have this for 1 week :(
Have your partner treated too for any yeast and bacterial infections. The best treatment for him is a diluted apple cider vinegar wash after he showers. Are you using probiotics after you cleanse? You can take them orally ad as a vaginal suppository. Make sure your putting good stuff back to keep the bad stuff at bay. My first question to women who are expierencing pain with intercorse is: are you really aroused before he penetrates you? make sure your practically begging for him to enter you first. Does he happen to thrust to one side or manybethe position during intercorse is constricing best movement. Also you can try Kegals to encurage blood flow and strengthen your muscls. These and lying with your legs up or pelvis up may help reduce swelling, as well as ice, if that seems comfortable to you.
If your system is out of balance you are more likely to get infections. If this problem is continual, go get your hormone, mineral, and nutrient levels checked out. Don't be afraid to tell your doctor if whatever they give you doesn't work.
Best of luck.
There is also a chronic cyst like condition known as Hidradenitis Suppurativa. It is also known as Verneuil’s disease or acne inversa. Hidradenitis manifests most commonly as tender, nodular lesions in the axillae, although other parts of the body also may be affected. All tthis is taken from this web site.  See: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/1015/p1547.html  for more details.  I get this quite often. I don't know for sure , but really think I have this.  No cure, but sometimes Antibiotics are given and help to a degree.
I have had these a few times but they went away. My last one I had for months so started doing research. Had a round of antibiotics but it came back right after. What worked for me was Colostrum. You can get it from any vitamin shop or health store. You break open the capsule and use the powder on the area. It is not completely gone yet I have been only using it for a little more then a week but it is way better then when I was on antibiotics.
I am 62 and have had cysts off and on for years.  I am glad I found this website.  My doc also brushed it off as not serious, but then again, he wasn't sitting on them.  I've only had one partner so I knew it wasn't an STD.  I trust him.  Women my age don't always talk about these things, so many times I thought I was the only person that suffered with it.  
Ive been reading your posts because I too recently got a pea sized cyst type thing on my right labia. I will try the bath theory. I am not too worried about it. I think its just a passing thing. However, this behcets disease some of you are talking about intrigued me. I know a doctor who is a homeopath and westernized in marin county CA. She is amazing, she cured my endometriosis and vairous other ailments withint days of seeing her and getting a constitution. Her name is Ifeoma Ikenze, MD and I haven't seen her in years, and she isn't cheap but she is truely amazing. She does except insurances and I believe she does phone consultations. I hardly ever recommend service providers to people but I thought I would share her with you all.
I have noticed I get something like this whenever I get a yeast infection and never really thought of it as herpes....So I was just wondering if y'all got them around yeast infections...I have not had any in a while, but I am still concerned. I see a doc on Monday!
Wow...I have been trying to figure out what this problem has been for years! Started when I was 20..now im 34...when ever i drink too much or eat gluten or too much dairy i get a cyst either above my eye brows, on my chin or "down there";) It only ever lasts a day or 2 then vanishes.  Im also a holistic nutritionist so in general i eat very very well...avoid flammatory foods and i became a nutritionist because of my cystic acne, digestive discomfort- IBS, and feeling tired and depressed.  Im much much better now but when ever i want to eat something "off the menu" I pay for it....I have always felt like i have some  kind of immune disorder...in elementary school i had my tonsils removed- always had strep and tonsilitis...high school they though ti had mono but tests came back negative...in my early twenties got tested for lupus...came back negative...so I am very curious if i have this Behcet's Syndrome's.  
I bought some today...how is your cyst?
I bought some today...how is your cyst?
I have had this unwelcomed visitor know for about 8 months, and the dr. told me it would go away and just in last few weeks it has gotten larger, I have read all the comments, my last resort is popping it...I unfortinitly do not have insurance and found out today that it was gunna cost about $700.00 to have it removed...I took a ladies advice and bought some vitamin and I am currently using it and sitting on a HOT towel...I pray this goes away cuz I am so sick of dealing with it!!