WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
labia cyst?
by needshelp, Nov 21, 2006
After my shower a few days ago i noticed a "bump" on my right labia, it is slowly getting larger and it is not an external bump like a pimple, it is under the skin. Any ladies have any advice or should i try to get an appointment ASAP with my GYN? It is sore to the touch  and red. No drainage or anything.
Member Comments (102)
by kenziesmom, Nov 21, 2006
I've been wondering how you have been.  I haven't seen any of your posts in awhile. Is there a possibility that you used something that irritated you down below?  If not, sounds like you probably should visit the doctor.  Let us know how you make out.
by justlittleolme, Nov 22, 2006
I had a cyst (a bartholin gland cyst) on my outer labia. It was under the skin and a little red but no "head" or anything. When you lightly squeezed it you could feel that it was solid and the size of a small bean under there. The gyn said it might get bigger with wearing underwear and sex but to be honest when my partner and I started getting more sexually active it started to shrink and now I cant feel it. I know its not "gone" since they have to surgically remove them and it could pop up again, but for now it is.

You should definatly have it looked at
by JJety, Nov 22, 2006
It could be something as simple as an ingrown hair, or it could possibly be a herpes outbreak.  Is it possible that you have contracted an STD?  Whenever in doubt, see your doctor, but it might be nothing.
by needshelp, Nov 22, 2006
I know it's not an STD as i haven't been intimate with anyone in a few yrs and when i had my hyster in August they checked me for everything.
by shygirl1981, Nov 22, 2006
I had one of those recently too, and yes it sounds like a bartholin's gland cyst.  Mine shrunk and went away on it's own in few days. If yours doesnt go down, and continues to rise, you will need to see a doc. I know they certainly aren't fun, hope you feel better soon!
by needshelp, Nov 22, 2006
I have been having some computer issues. My internet browser updated and i lost all my bookmarks and such. Thats why i haven't been posting much.
by edelweiss, Nov 23, 2006
I am so baffled by my condition, which started a couple months ago.  Was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis first.  Then a yeast infection which was treated with Diflucan. My nurse practictioner told me to not have intercourse for about 10 days to allow the yeast to clear up.  So, I waited the 10 days.  Then, after intercourse, I would feel so uncomfortable - itchy, burny, just not right, but the most alarming thing was that my labia minora (especically one side) would turn bright red and swell up like a balloon.  Very hard, and swollen and would take several hours for the swelling to subside.  This only happens during sex - other than that, no symptoms.  I went back to a different doctor thinking maybe the yeast infection hadn't cleared up - got another dose of Diflucan, lab results showed NO YEAST, and waited another 2 weeks before trying sex again.  

Same thing.  Swelled up literally like a balloon - bright red, hard  labia, uncomforable feeling at the base of vaginal opening.  I have no visible sores, only feel this after/during sex and chlamydia/gonorrhea test are negative.    I have not changed partners, have not changed soaps, lubricants, sheets anything different.  

Any ideas?  I am going for a second opinion with an MD in a couple weeks - but in the meantime, I am freaking out.
by hypenray, Mar 31, 2008
What did the balloon thing end up being?
by dayauburn, Mar 31, 2008
Have you tried sticking a needle directly into it. If so puss should come out and it could be a boil (ingrown hair). Also there is no way to test for herpes. The test that they do is to tell you whether or not you have been exposed and carry it.