large mons pubis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

large mons pubis?

I am 16 and i've noticed that the layer of fat on my mon pubis is alot larger than i'd like. It lowers my self esteem even though i don't have sex. i know that liposuction can get rid of excess fat down there, but i don't think thats really for me. are there any exercises or anything else that can reduce the size of my mons pubis? i'm not overweight or anything by the way
hi there
i'm 20 and im a normal weight. i also have more fat than usual on my mons pubis.. but it is also probably a more prominent bone that you have (i have that also).

i went to the doctors abt it and you can't exercise it off as it's genetic most of the time, not because u have gained weight and it has stored there. besides since it is just a little pouch ontop of ur bone, u cant actually "work out" that part of ur body.

let me share some valuable life lessons... i ended up have liposuction on that area.. and girlll let me tell you it was more hassle/money/pain than it was worth AND hardly made a difference... it is simply genetic.

when u look in magazines or whatever and the other girls dont have it, i am SURE it has been airbrushed out coz it doesnt fit the image of what women are "supposed to look like".. it is far more common than u think, trust me on that.

and finally, i have had 2 serious relationships and am still with second boyfriend, and when it comes to having sex, what your vagina looks like DOESNT MATTER because we all look more similiar than we might think (even tho we are all unique in that part of the body lol)... its called a mound for a reason.

i hope me sharing what i know and having gone through the same thing helps. goodluck.

nikki
hi im 15 and i think this mons is a gift from god making us not so different but unique in a way i know tht it affects relationships but if he wants u he will accept u i havent lst my v cuz of tht but i think i will when im ready
I can't take this large mons pubis thing anymore. It lowers my self confidence to the point where I don't wanna be naked in front of my boyfriend. And we've been together for 2 years! He says it doesn't bother him much but he will still poke at it and make fun. No harm intended tho. I seriously need to get rid of this nasty misfortune NOW! I came into about 40grand and I wanna get it taken care of asap. I want to be myself! I am not fat nor have I ever been pregnant. I'm a nomal 18 year old girl that wants this gone! Can someone please help me??!?? I heard lipo or "vag tuck" works but the post above me says it didn't help. I need advice. Please help me!!
I just had my Mons Pubis reduction October 30, 2009 down in Atlanta performed by Dr. Moore. Him and his staff were wonderful. Surgery went very well. Once swelling goes down, I'm quite sure I will be very pleased.

http://www.lvratlanta.com/
I read your post about having Mons Pubis reduction in OCtober.  I would love to know how the results were post surgery.  I am very interested in having this procedure done but have never connected with anyone who had it done. Thanks...
        General information following: If a guy makes fun with and at something about a girl, it's not necisarily because of any problem or fault of the girl. In fact it is something the guy finds different about the girl, something that makes her, her. A guy tries to find a way to get past any akwardness or to make a girl feel better about something by making lite of the situation. Take it as a compliment rather than an insult. The best idea is to play back, or do the same to them in a playful matter. This is for any part not just the mons.
         As for the size of the mons it is genetic as posted above. It is meant for protection of the pelvic bones and for help during any intercourse. There is no exercise for this part of the body, and some speculate that this actually is because it is also tied into the emotial area of the brain. An example is how certain area's arrouse you, others make you shiver, and many other mental and physcial reactions. From many previous things and others opinions it seems that the reduction makes little to no difference. The size reduces, but it can cause actual pain on the bones of the girl, and any thing that comes in contact, such as in intercourse. It also does not effect how far anything can be placed inside.
            Remember, like any surgery this is always a risk, and not just to your physical well being. Emotional, physical, and mental problems can occur. Everyone is different so the degree of anything, including the chances of problems change all the time. Anything that effects how you feel, if changed, can and likely will effect you in many ways, not all being good. I recommend before doing anything, consider your options and head all advice given. Good luck.

Sincerly, the Wanderer
Reading these comments on 'large' or 'fat' pubis mons is a little painful. As a male, I think it might be useful to pass on that there are no norms re physical appearances and differences are to be celebrated. I know you want to be perfect for your lover/boyfriend/husband etc, but if you're confident about your appearance, they probably won't question it. Large pubis mons are a feature of female anatomy I, for one, find attractive and sexy. I'm a painter and I find the curves on women amazing to describe and models with large pubis mons are always appreciated. If your mons protrudes more than most, try shaving your pubic hair if it'll make you feel better, but better still, learn to love it.
Just like there are many different looking breasts there are many different looking vaginas.  And honestly, to all of you younger ladies who are worried about being intimate, once you are naked, any guy will think you are the hottest thing ever regardless of your little imperfections.

Check this out: http://www.vroma.org/images/mcmanus_images/aphrodite1.jpg

It is a picture of a statue of Aphrodite that men in the ancient world went crazy over.  She seems to have the same 'problem' and yet there are hilarious stories about men sneaking into temples to 'visit' similar statues in the night because they thought they were so sexy.

So hopefully that will give you a laugh and a little more confidence.
hey, i just wanted to share a story with you. like you i have a large mound of venus. had it since i was 12. ithe only person who ever bothered me about it was my best friend (purely innocent. she thought it was just cause i didn't shave). i've never had the missfortune of a partner bringing it up or even being surprised by it but i was always self consious about it. a couple years ago i started dancing and thats when my loathing began to melt away. guys don't care. if anything i've had a lot of sincere compliments about it and have been tipped extra because of it. (not cause i did anything with them. not all dancers are prostitutes)  what really made me stop hating it was one of the girls caught me pulling my belly upwards. "my nani looks flatter when i stretch the skin," i explained. her eyes lit up and she brushed her hand over it and said,"you have a mound!" her best friend in high school had one too apperantly and she thout it was the most beautiful thing ever. of coarse i still wonder how to reduce it or i wouldn't be here. but i was saddened to see how many women loathe thier mounds so much. ladies, i work in a field where guys are @ thier most disrespectful and i compete with fake **** on sticks and my mound has never stopped me from making money ever. if these jerks who i see every night love my body ( and i don't think much of them) then no one should worry about what some boy (my worst insult towards a male) thinks about your mound.  i hope this helped somewhat
I have always had an unusually thick layer of fat on my mons pubis bone or whatever, since I can remember. I have always been self concious over it and it's the first thing I think about when ever I'm about to fool around or have sex... No man I've been with has ever said anything about it and my boyfriend now thinks it's great, but I always feel like when I'm getting touched there the first time that the guy is always hesitant when he realizes the shape. I think it goes without saying that I too, am not overweight by any means and that's why I am so confused about it. There's nothing I can do short of plastic surgery?
Im 22 yrs old, and its still hard for me to accept my own body, especially in front of my bf of almost a year and a half, I love him so much but he has never touch me or seen me fully naked down there and I want him to see me fully naked but this mound that i have always stops me.  And in a way I know that my fluffiness down there can be some sort of a reason why I cant be fully happy in our relationship..I know its dumb to say this but thats how i feel..I want to feel sexy and I cant...so im truly thinking about getting the surgery, so if anyone has done it before, some advice would help :/
all these forums are starting to make me feel really bad about myself. i have the same thing and i have never thought anything was wrong with it. i wear bikinis sexy panties tight pants shorts all that stuff and never cared what it looked like cuz everyone has flaws and its never bothered my husband...but now readin how everyone thinks its bad im starting to feel ashamed and like its a huge problem.....
I am 47 years old and have LOVED my fat mound my whole adult life! I have had lovers who have worshiped me for my fat mound. If you look at the posts from men on this forum they all ADORE it! I've noticed the women that hate it are the young girls and I was ashamed of it back in high school too only because my girlfriends brought it to my attention. Once I became sexually active and getting positive response from my boyfriends I quickly realized what an asset it is. Please don't go under the knife to change this blessing and be proud of it. My husband of 18 years is so turned on by it and he still can't get enough of me. Good luck to all!
I'm a 25 year old woman who has suffered from a excessively large mons pubis since 15 years old. Although I haven't had a problem with sexual encounters, I still want to reduce it...I really want my clitoris to show when I'm standing in the mirror.

Some of you are saying that parts of our bodies that are different from others is a gift, I beg to defer. It's very uncomfortable, you can't wear certain things and you just feel self-conciensce about yourself. When a woman like me and many other women and young girls who want to reduce this part of our bodies, some if not most don't do it only because of what other's think of it, but it's something we want to do for ourselves to make ourselves feel better about ourselves. Be able to look in the mirror and admire your own vagina, I can't do that because this stupid mons pubis covers my *****, so it just looks like a vagina of a barbie and it hides the clitoris.

My best advice for anyone who wants to reduce their mons pubis, do it for yourself, not to please other people's eyes or perseption of how they want you to look.

Now I would love to reduce this stupid thing, so if anyone has any recommendations on where I can get this procedure done, please let me know.

Thanks,
J.
I have the same problem and it really gets me down. I know you shouldnt compare yourself to others but sometimes you just cant help it. Ive considered surgery to fix it cos i absolutely hate it and my body..im not exactly slim, so it makes me feel worse that i have this problem too. None of my partners in the past have mentioned it to me, but it still makes me womder what they think about it. Also, im in a relationship with a girl now, so it makes me worry even more about it..cos mine is ALOT bigger. Just dont know what to do about it, haha
what kind of surgery did you have done?
I'm 16 and I've been so upset about mine for yearrrs! i thought it was normal until my sister pointed it out. i never payed much mind to it until i started to lose a lot of weight and it was still "fat". I've been so insecure about it but up until recently I've decided to research it & now that I know its completely normal & that its actually beneficial for when I do decide to be intimate in the far future, i honestly have no problem with it. I can actually look at it now ! Girls own it, cause its a gift! I'm 16, and I'm sick of listening to what society thinks is perfect, I love my body the way it is, and all of you should too because god blessed us with healthy beautiful ones, I'd rather have this then something worse like cancer! But anyways, embrace it !!!
From a guy's perspective, a large mound is EXTREMELY sexy.  Please all of you, don't fret, don't get surgery.  Some (many) men out there live for that sight so rare and beautiful.  Most women are not so lucky.
i have this mound ever since i can remember. every time i think about it i always thought that there is something wrong with me. it is embarrassing to wear any tight clothes or even jeans for that matter. thanks to this site now i know that there nothing wrong with having this mound. it will still bother me and it will take time for me to fully accept it but i know i will. :)
I had not been so aware of it until this woman mentioned it, but then my sister whom I had not seen for a while was visiting and mentioned it to me.  I forgive her, but it was not in a very nice way.  In fact, it came across as if I was doing something I should not have been doing.  I am 42 and not as sexually active, just wanting to find someone who will be committed.  So, I don't like the idea of having casual sex.  I thought that must be the reason.  I thought, maybe I am not getting enough exercise down there.  After all, my sisters don't have that problem and I think it is because they are married and sometimes have sex very often.  

So, having read all of the previous entries, I realize that I am among a few who have this issue.  I don't want to call it a problem as someone else rightfully stated there are worse flaws to be concerned with.  So all I can do is hope that my future husband will appreciate it.  What else can I say?  God, please help us to appreciate ourselves and forgive those who make us feel bad about it.
I know you say this is normal and also like you I have had a "mound" since I was twelve and my friend once pointed it out to me and I have been ashamed ever since I am at the age of 16 now and still suffer from the problem and I am starting to get more intimate with my boyfriend but I am scared to even let him touch my vagina because I am scared to what he will say
I also have this condition. I am 22, have a nice curvy body, but I do get insecure when i wear my yoga pants or tight skirts cuz you can see the bump.

I have never had a lover or even known a man that said they prefer a "skinny" vag. In fact I had a great reaction from my most attractive lover. He said that he loved a "juicy" vag. So I guess it really is a thing that men like.

When having sex they prefer more cushion rather than rubbing against bone.

I know it is discouraging because we see all the little models in their bikinis but it actually is not as big of a deal as we think.

If you still have insecurities you can try control top undies, they are tighter so they will decrease it some.

Hi, I can't believe im hearing all these forums.  I thought it was just me!  I feel you guys pain.  I told my boyfriend I dont like it and that when I have enuff $$ i'm goin to get it surgical off a bit.  He says no, he loves it!  He calls it his plumpy couchiee. LOL.  He says when he goes south he wants to be able to hold sumthing instead of hitting bone with lip. lmao!  *****, for fashion statement on me.  When i wear legging and look down i see my puffyness.  Ughhh.  So, irritating.  But my man loves it!!  
hey, i just wanna say thanks, ive been really self concious (btw, im only 12, but we r still self concious u no!!!) anyways, it helps me a lot to know that im not the only one out there :D thank you so much!!
Well I'm 15 and first discover it when I was 14 I saw how weird it looked sticking outwards when I laid down at bed watching tv and quickly folded my legs so it wouldn't show. Later I forgot about it on and off until now......... Like 3 months ago I did research and found out it was a Mons Pubis and excercising wouldn't reduce it in anyway I felt really insecure still do at this point feel like a guy because it sticks out and saw how other vaginas are simply flat. Recently my friends invited me to go to the beach and one of my crush is going to be there and I can't simply go since I have a mon I don't look good in a bikini and I just soo wish I could go but it's so embarrassing and feel like I'm missing out. Any advice to boost my self esteem.      
Ladies, let me reiterate the comments some other guys have made. I too find a large mons very attractive. In fact, most men do (however, most of us are ignorate of the anatomical name)  and therefore can't communicate our attraction. If I may be so bold, most women desire a healthy bust line because it is generally known men appreciate a healthy bust line. I believe if men could communicate their appreciation for a large mons pubis as "effectively" as they have for larger breast then you ladies wouldn't be so selfconcious of this beautiful part of the female anatomy. In fact I suspect some would be seeking "mons implants!".
I am 54 andhave had this problem for 30 yrs. I absoltuely hate it. I have had only 1 partner who felt he had to say "hey you have a fat *****, I have been devastaed ever since and have not had sex for 7 yrs. because of this. It makes me very sad.I feel my sexual life is over and I am very devastated by this. I am in therapy also. Just wanted to say I am so glad to have found other women like myself, it makes me feel alittle better about it. Thanks.
i have YET to meet any guy who was turned on by it! idk where there "men" are at.
I think it's all about confidence. I'm 23, had this little patch of heaven since I could remember, I began to be sexually active around 15 and at first I was very insecure and afraid people thought something was wrong with me. Once in high school when I wore small shorts someone thought I had a really big bush lol!!! Of course it was my mound but when ever I had sexual partners it didn't change anything at all! To have great sex you need confidence in yourself ;)
Having a mound is normal and those who are embaressed or ashamed, don't be<3 you're not alone :] Don't let the media fool you about what is "normal" and what is not. There is obviously a lot of us out there than you think, this forum kinda proves that  ^.^
One guy's opinion: There are certain aspects of your body you can control, and certain aspects you just can't. The size and shape of your bones or general body parts, along with how your body distributes fat, are both things that fall in the second category. Not trying to be crude at all, but the first thing that comes to my mind in finding a comparison is penis size: a lot of guys have spent a ridiculous amount of time worrying over something that just isn't fundamentally changeable. All that time and worry is essentially wasted effort, and preventing them from moving on to more fulfilling aspects of their life. I've seen liposuction mentioned on this forum (which my girlfriend pointed me to, by the way), but that doesn't really solve the underlying problem which is either bone structure or how your body distributes fat. Even if the liposuction works temporarily, the fat will just reaccumulate eventually, not to mention the pain of post-op.  

I would argue for two things: one, if you're overweight (you can calculate your BMI here: http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/) try exercise and dieting. Commonsense, and no pain or money involved.

Secondly, come to terms with your body for what it is. If I meet a girl who thinks my penis is too big or too small, and that's a dealbreaker for her, then we won't date. Simple as that. It's not something I can change and it's not a preference I can change in her, so it's fine---we just both move on. If you meet a guy who feels the same way about your mons (although I have NEVER heard a guy talk about some girl's mons...ever), then you won't date him. Simple as that. Could he possibly be a jerk about the way he expresses that? Sure! But that just makes him a jerk, it doesn't have anything to do with you. Generally speaking, the people who are ONLY interested in your physical attributes aren't ones you want to be dating anyway, but hey if it just happens to be a real turnoff for someone you were interested in, then oh well. It's something that's out of your control.

TL/DR: The sooner you can come to terms with your body for what it is, and accept the things you can and can't change, the happier you'll be. Easier said than done, I know, but there's no time like the present!
im a 22 yr old woman whos had a large mons for.....as long as i can remember. iv been in a serious relationship for abt 2.5 years now and to be honest im still slightly embarassed by it. i try to hide it as much as possible. long tshirts, not so tight pants, etc. im a little pudgy so i get that to worry about as well however my boyfriend LOVES that i have a large mons. he says its gorgeous and he also says its better for sex. "it doesnt hurt like small ones." he claims its more cushion for the pushin lol even tho im self concious about it sonetimes he makes me feel normal and not embarassed to be naked infront if him. so ladies if u encounter someone who doesnt appreciate it or YOU for being you.....then thats not the guy u need in ur life. (and might i add none of my boyfriends have ever had a problem with it) i hope my story helps a little and gives you sime reassurance that there are people out there that love and appreciate you for you.
I have always had this.

Its rather annoying!  It can cause alot of insecurity.

Many are right/ when they say/a man isnt going to
find you repulsive due to it. I would know.

Not once have I been degraded /judged/broken up w for it.

As u gain weight more weight/ (being it is already a more than extra padded area than normal) it will accumulate more fat.

I'm a dancer. Since I have not been dancing

I have gained more weight. This area was already larger thAn normL.

I would use a panty liner to keep it from notice. Somehow that workd great.

Yes u can decrease it the size. I would go walking here on the riverwalk. It will not get rid of it fully.

Surgery may be painful. I am debating on getting this done. Only because it causes an issue wearing fitting jeans

. I am 135 5'7 and only 19.

I know that if it is going to be a cost issue for others.

Remind yourself: this is a small unique flaw. It will not keep you from finding Mr.Right. Excercise does help. Walking and inner crunches.

I am
i have the same problem as tash515 apart from mine isnt fleshy its boney. i am scared to get intimate incase for some reason it hurts i have done a lot of research and found nothing really. do you know anything about this? or does anyone else?
ow and im 16 too, this is the legal age so im not worried and i think im ready, but there are some doubts mainly the one i mentioned before. help me :) haha if you can.