longer period and blood clots

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

longer period and blood clots

i am 19 years old, and lately i have been experiencing very clotty and longer periods. i think i have been on my period for about a month. and before this i used to get my period every 2-3 months. so i always had a weird period. my doctor said it could be because of my weight. so i lost weight and it still didnt make a difference. so then i was on birth control but i had to get off of it because of a bad reaction. so now im on day 33 of my period. and its extremely clotty and heavy and disgusting. should i go to a doctor??
I would say anything to do with bleeding that is not normal for you to go and see a doctor and you say you have been bleeding for a month thats not good !! try not to worry but in the meantime book an appointment with your doctor !!
I had the same problem.  2 yrs ago I started to bleed & clot very heavy for a long time...about 25 days at a time.  After an MRI & ultrasound came back neg, my gyn sent me to hemotologist (blood specialist) & found out I had a thyroid disorder.  I am on medication now & for the first time in 2 years I had a normal period (5 days)  Maybe, you can ask your dr if she/he could check your thyroid, ya never know.  Good Luck