lower Left Pelvic PAin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

lower Left Pelvic PAin

I have pain my lower left pelvic area..It is like a sharp pain ...almost like a knot that never goes away. it is constant.
Here's a bit of history and hopefully i will get some answers:
Had an IUD for 3.5years; had it taken out july2007 so as to have another addition to our family (have a 6 year old already) Since which I have been unable to get pregnant and had been having pressure in my pelvic area. I've had an hsg/hysteroscopy and D&C and i was told that my left fallopian tube was blocked and that polyps where found..(don't know what that all means). Periods are irregular (differing in length of mense days in between each menstrual period. Sometime appears as spotting for one period while other times full bleeding ,with heavy clotting and at times very painful.-no one has said miscarriage;could at one time it came twice in one month)
Had ultrasounds (regular and transvag) done previous and always have been told the my endometrial lining was thicker than normal (don't know what that means either.) and that there is a possibility that I have ovarian cyst. It appears that I am ovulating-according to fertility monitor) have had IUI to get preg.-no pregnancy. Referred to a Infertility Dr. did transvag ultrasound and saw thickening of lining on right side ; did an SHG and saw an unusual mass; further investigated with Hysteroscopy and nothing was found-but Sharp stabbing pain still persist in lower left pelvic area. Very painful. Just yesterday (Jan5,2009) went to DR. for the pain; menstrual period is 3 days late and had pain .Had pelvic exam and very tender on left ovary.DR.said my left ovary felt slightly big so had a transvag ultrasound - but thought it was nothing gynocological causing the problem-didn't see anything. Had a beta HCG done (don't know results yet). Early morning felt a little burts on lower left pelvic area and i'm now bleeding and cramping ...not sure if its period,ovarian cyst ruptured,or ectopic preg (BTW home preg test both came back neg). Called Dr. and no one has responded. SOMEONE HELP ME UNDERSTAND ALL THIS! (Sorry it is so long ) WHAT should I do? ↑

Follow-up( Jan 8 2009 6:30a.m.)-Yesterday-Jan 7, was in pain all night but was so exhausted that I still got moderate sleep.  Woke up and I was in fetal  position and husband suggested taking Voltaren.  That helped tremendously..could still feel the pressure but pain subsided. Only discomfort in my lower back.  Later in the evening the pain was beginning to come back in my pelvic area (cramping across the pelvic area but more concentrated pain/discomfort one the left and on my left hip. My upper left leg is achy too( groin and thigh area)  Ended up going to emergency and the BHCG was Neg…Dr. felt the area and said she felt something and wondered if I had bowel prob.  I said seemed to be ok to me   A little discomfort urinating (might be do to period).  Anyway,  she seems to think that it might be an ovarian cyst-( could not do an ultrasound because of period) that had ruptured and also that I might consider to get checked for endometriosis . What’s interesting about the period is that it is almost none existent in comparison to yesterday. Meaning the pain is there but there is minimal bleeding on the pad…only changed once and tha’s because I got a shower ..Didn’t need to change otherwise.(?)  Lower back pain and lower left pelvic discomfort , cramping across my pelvic area is still there. I don’t know what to make of it but at least she was able to give me some answers.  She put me on some more Voltaren.  .MY  husband noticed that the pain seem to be more intense closer to and f during my period.  This time though the pain was really bad!