Women's Health Community
massage while pregnant
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

massage while pregnant

Hi! I was woundering is it ok to get a massage while pregnant? I've never had one before and my back muscles have been realy sore, I thought a massage might help. I had back and neck problems before I got pregnant but now it seems to be more frequent and bothersome. thanks
Related Discussions
13 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
You can get a massage during pregnancy, in fact, it's highly recommended.  Just be sure to find a qualified masseuse who knows how to perform massage on pregnant women, let them know you're pregnant if you're not showing yet.  Most of the time, they'll make you lie on your side unless that have a special table for pregnant women.  I've been meaning to get one done too, I hear they really help.  Good luck and HTH!
Blank
Oh yes, definitely. I checked with my Dr. first and then went with a massage therapist who had training and experience with pregnancy massage. enjoy!
Blank
MASSAGE WHILE PREGNANT IS SAFE BUT BE CAREFUL AS YOU CAN NOT USE CERTAIN OILS
Blank
I went to my chiropractor while I was pregnant.  His table
could be adjusted for pregnant tummies.  It helped me tremendously.
Blank
i also heard massaging around your ankle region can cause contractions ive heard of people using this as a way to bring labour on in the late stages of prewgnancy and it works so just stick to other areas i love massages when im pregnant they totally relax you i get my dh to give me one most nights.
Blank
Yes absolutely, just make sure he knows your pregnant..well if your showing he will know..Nothing like a good massage!
Blank
Well, I've got a healthy little boy and I had massages every other week in the first trimester. But I would caution you to ask your doctor. Best to have their approval.
Blank
Its just fine to get a massage. Most places should have a doughnut for you to lay on so you wouldnt be on your belly. Some places offer maternity massages too where they put you on your sides and massage head to toe and concentrate on the lower back and leg area.
Blank
Thanks, but I have another question someone just told me it's not safe to get a massage in your first trimester is that true??
Blank
what do you mean about CERTAIN OILS? i dont understand it..,
Blank
There are some essential oils that are beneficial during pregnancy. Many can help relieve anxiety and tension while still others are useful for relieving bloating and headaches. Here is a list of essential oils that may be helpful during pregnancy:

Tangerine
Lemon
Tea Tree
Ylang-ylang
Mandarin
Other essential oils including the following should be avoided during pregnancy for their contraction stimulating properties:

Arnica
Clary sage
Fennel
Jasmine
Juniper
Blank
There are some essential oils that are beneficial during pregnancy. Many can help relieve anxiety and tension while still others are useful for relieving bloating and headaches. Here is a list of essential oils that may be helpful during pregnancy:

Tangerine
Lemon
Tea Tree
Ylang-ylang
Mandarin
Other essential oils including the following should be avoided during pregnancy for their contraction stimulating properties:

Arnica
Clary sage
Fennel
Jasmine
Juniper
Blank
i was just reading your column...helpfull suggestions - Thanks!  I'm expecting twins & i'm having terrible headaches - ouch!!!  I know this massage practitioner that my mom just enjoys his massage.  He is very talented masseure and performs wonderful & relaxing reflexology.  If not a massage, is it ok to receive reflexology on my hands???
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Women's Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eaters: How to Silence Yo...