missed depo now extremely heavy vaginal bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

i have been taking the depo provera shot for about 10-12 yrs, the last few yrs. i've been giving them to myself. i have been late taking it before and not had any prob.. i about 2 wks. late and i have had extremely heavy bleeding and passing clots and tissue. i have not had a period since i've been taking depo.
i have slight cramps. i've only had this kind of thing happen once before when i had a miscarriage. i'm sure i gave the shot properly in my upper arm muscle. what would cause this sudden change? could it be build up from over the years? i called my dr. and requested a refill, but he is a new dr. and has not prescribed depo for me before;let me rephrase, he was my dr. years ago and i've recently started going to him again. it was just thursday before christmas holidays that i spoke to his nurse and it was not called into the pharm. i started the bleeding friday night. can you help me?
I'm sorry that I don't have very specific advice for you.  I do know that there are many women that have had MANY problems with Depo messing up their cycles in major ways.  You should look in the archives b/c I'm certain there have been many threads on this topic.  You could probably also google risks or side affects of Depo and get a lot of information.  I hope whatever is going on is quickly remedied for you.
I do know that it can't be a build up.  The depo shot causes you to not have the build up.  Have you every gotten information on the depo shot as far as the length of time you are to get it?  I was on the depo for 6 years and the doctors office said that they do not reccomend it for longer than 2 years now because of the done density loss problems.  You should check it out!
i went to my fam. dr. and got the depo shot they said hopefully it would cause it to slack off. since getting the shot i've been having more cramps in my back and lower abdomen, the bleeding seems to be a little less at times but not alot.
i got the shot tues. also, during this time my blood pressure was really high 160/108 one night & 160/89 the next night i took diovan hct both nights, but it seems like my bp would have been low due to the blood loss, shouldn't it?
i appreciate your input very much.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
I AM STILL SPOTTING WHENEVER I EXERT MYSELF (STRAIN) I HAD A DEPO SHOT ON 12/27/05.DR. DOESN'T SEEM TO HAVE ANY CLUE.
ANY IDEAS?