missed period but lower abdominal pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

missed period but lower abdominal pain

my period is 5 days late and im usually very regular,but I feel pain and pressure in my lower abdomen and have been having quit a lot of unusual vaginal discharge. I have taken a pregnancy test because I have recently stopped taken the pill (because of side effects) but the test came out negative! I am quit worried... what could it be? is it normal??
Hi there

Yes this is all very normal  unfortunately

When you are on the pill your periods are regular because the pill makes them regular!!!!

When you come off the pill you have "normal " or "real" periods which can be a lot heavier and far more painful and  not so regular. Sorry but thats just how it is.

What were your periods like before you went on the pill can you remember your cycle in days then/?
my periods were always super regular, even when I wasnt on the the pill.. so thats why I am worried. and im having really heavy vaginal discharge, which didnt happen before. since i've been off the pill I have only had sex while using a condom, and I took 2 pregnancy tests and both came out negative.. so I am worried it might be something else.. but i have no idea what.
Hi there

Does the discharge smell??  An excess discharge (more than usual) can be a sign of chlymidia  .  

If the discharge was very thick and white like cottage cheese it would be something like thrush.  

This still wouldn't explain the late period though . That may just be your hormones settling down after coming off the pill it may take a couple of cycles to get back to normal so to speak.  

If you are worried about the discharge your doctor can take a swab for testing .  

Try not to get stressed about it though as that will only delay your period more.

Have you been under a lot of stress recently or lost a lot of weight ?  
the discharge does not smell, it looks like normal discharge but just a lot and thick, though it is transparent.. it might be due to stress because I have been under a lot of stress lately due to the university.
and what about the pain and pressure in my lower abdomen? i've been with it for almost a week(I thought it was normal t first because it was supposed to get my period) and its really uncomfortable because its constantly there.
Hi there

Is there any way this could be a normal discharge as it doesn't smell you say>??/

Normal Vaginal Discharge: May be clear or white, thin or thick. It is not odorous and there is no itching.
Abnormal Vaginal Discharge
Yellow or green vaginal discharge is usually from an infection.
A foul-smelling discharge is usually from an infection.
A thick, white, itchy, cottage cheese-like non-odorous discharge is often caused by a yeast infection.

The pain and pressure could be a sign of an infection but the discharge you describe doesn't fit with that.

It is very strange  maybe coming off the pill is causing your hormones to throw a complete wobbly and you may have grown an ovarian cyst which would cause pressure in your abdomen.

You really will have to go to the doctor I am afraid, sorry

Don't wait for the pain to get so bad you can't cope

good luck xx
thanks a lot for the advice! I really appreciate it! I will call the doctor tomorrow ;)