mood swings after hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

mood swings after hysterectomy

I HAD A HYSTERECTOMY 7 WEEKS AGO,I STILL HAVE 1 OVARY LEFT. I HAVE BEEN HAVING TERRIBLE MOOD SWINGS AND ANXIETY SINCE THE SURGERY.ONE MINUTE IM AS HAPPY AS CAN BE AND THEN THE NEXT I FEEL LIKE THROWING THINGS AT THE WALL AND THE NEXT IM BALLING MY EYES OUT. I'VE NEVER HAD A PANIC ATTACK BEFORE BUT NOW I DO, I THINK. SOMETIMES WHEN IM DRIVING I GET AN OVERWEALMING FEAR OF CRASHING OR HAVING SOME KIND OF FREAK ACCIDENT, LIKE AN OVERPASS CRASHING ON TO MY CAR.I ALSO HAVE FEELINGS OF SOMETHING HAPPENING TO MY CHILDREN.IM SURE IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH MY HORMONE LEVELS, AND HRT IS NOT AN OPTION BECAUSE OF HI RISK FOR CANCER. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT WILL HELP ME THAT I CAN MENTION TO MY OB? ANY ANSWERS WILL HELP THANKS LADIES
HI TROID THERE ARE SOME OVER THE COUNTER MEDICINES YOU CAN TAKE,TO HELP.BUT WITH YOU STILL HAVING ONE OVARY LEFT YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T BE FEELING THIS WAY,BECAUSE THAT OVARY IS STILL GIVING OUT ENOUGH HORMONES FOR YOUR BODY TO ADJUST.STILL TALKING TO YOUR OB WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA.YOU REALLY DON'T NEED HORMONE REPLACEMENT WITH ONE OVARY STILL INTACT!!!BUT THE OVER THE COUNTER MEDICINES ARE NOT EXACTLY HORMONE REPLACEMENTS THEY JUST YOU WITH MOOD SWINGS AND OTHER UNORDINARY THINGS THAT ARE HAPPENING THAT YOU FEEL ARE REFLECTING FROM THE HYSTERECTOMY.YOU NEED TO TALK TO YOUR OB BEFORE STARTING ANY KIND OF MEDICINES,ALL THOUGH THIS IS OVER THE COUNTER IT IS STILL WISE TO CONSULT WITH YOUR DOC.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF.AND STOP BEING SO PARANOID!TNT406
PARANOID????WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?
REREAD YOUR POST:OVER PASS FALLING ON MY CAR.THAT IS BEING PARANOID.IT NEVER USE TO BOTHER YOU SO WHY LET IT NOW.AFAID OF CRASHING,YOU HAVE NEVER CRASHED I PRESUME,SO WHY WORRY ABOUT IT.YOUR CHILDREN ARE SAFE,KNOW ONE IS GOING TO HURT THEM.YOU KNOW WHERE THEY ARE THEY ARE AT 24 HOURS A DAY.THAT IS BEING PARANOID.WORRYING OVER LITTLE THINGS,CALM DOWN YOU ARE FINE.YOU STILL HAVE ONE OVARY AND IT IS WORKING JUST FINE.YOU MIGHT HAVE DEPRESSION GOING ON RIGHT NOW,MAYBE YOU ARE HAVING A HARD TIME DEALING WITH THE LOSS OF YOUR UTERUS AND ONE OF YOUR OVARIES.YOU NEED TO TALK TO A SPECIALIST ABOUT THIS IN STEAD OF A REGULAR DOCTOR.THEY WILL BE ABLE TO HELP YOU MORE.I AM NOT SAYING YOU ARE CRAZY,SOME WOMEN DO HAVE A MORE DIFFICULT TIME ACCEPTING THE LOSS OF THERE UTERUS AND OVARIES.TALK TO YOUR OB AND GET A RECOMMENDATION TO A GOOD SPECIALIST THAT CAN HELP YOU.TNT406
I had my hysterectomy in 2002 and I went through something just like this. I didn't want anyone around me and then I wondered why no one was there. Just relax and take it easy. They body just needs time to adjust to the new insides. (fyi: I still have one ovary and it is still working just fine) If it bothers you too much go ahead and talk to your dr. and see if they have any ideas to help with the adjustment. Good luck! Hang in there it will get better.
I have had the same surgery back in "98 odr "99.I too went through some of the same fellings of happy one minute and depressed the next.It does go away after time or at least gets better I should say.I was wondering if anyone on here that has had this surgery has had any problems as far as losing their sex drive?It seems like one minute I can be in the mood and then the next I don't even want to be touched to the point I get irratated.
I've been looking on Internet and it seems mood swings and panick attacks are due to rapid variation of estrogen. Some say uterus stores the hormones produced over night, others say after a hysterectomy some of the vessels that feed the ovaries and cut. Rapid decrease causes anger or fear, rapid increase causes joy. There is a degree of estrogen the brain considers normal.
I guess ERT can't be prescribed too soon after surgery as the body did not decide yet what is the normal level it'll stabilise to.
If it is true uterus is a storage for hormones then a nap at noon makes you feel better.
I have a friend who had bad problems with estrogen at menopause - osteoporosis. She started eating all sorts of grains, anything as natural as possible - the kind of soy that boils in 4 hours. No more problems at all. In Japan very few women have sympthoms at menopause (caused by low estrogen) cos their culture uses soy a lot. It is true any kind of estrogen exageration can lead to cancer if there is a predisposition. But in your case I think your normal level is much higher then it is now.
Try to avoid stress. Easy exercising, like walking, makes our ovary strong
I just had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and I have both my ovaries.  

In the middle of the night I wake up warm, not sweaty, but I feel like I can't get air that well and I am having some panick issues too.  

My family will be going to Yosemite next week on our yearly vacation and I am going to stay with my sis.  I did not want my family to miss out on the trip, yet, because I have been leaning and counting on them so heavily, I feel I might be lost with out them. My sis wants to take care of me, so no worries there.  

In the middle of the night when I wake up I am overwhelmed with the dark, being alone and not sleeping.  I have been praying over this and researching the situation.  I have cut back on the progesterone I was taking before the surgery for 8 yrs (600mg of natural compounded progesterone for cycle control) so I am pretty sure this is hormonal, but I want to keep my progesterone intake low.  I have been using a cream at 100mg.  So last night I took a 200mg pill and went right to sleep.

This blog has helped encourage me that my hunch about the hormones is correct and I appreciate all your comments.

Does anyone have input about the progesterone.  One doctor says no, it could be a cancer receptor, and my other doctor says it will help calm me and help with sleep.  I don't have any cancer scare going on, but I want to be wise and b alanced!!  (And as soon as I can I plan to get back to the gym, but right now I can only pace!!  HAHA
I had a hysterectomy the 22 August I am 51 Had gone through menopause. All was removed but one ovary.  Since Friday I been having bad mood swings.  Crying over everything  All of sudden I have to have a male white kitten have 2 fixed females that are almost 2 years old.  I am sensitve person but the last few days I am super sensitive  Just not sure what is going on!
Don't let anyone tell you that what you are feeling isn't "right" or that you are just being "paranoid."  What you are going through is real and should be recognized and treated as such.  There are people out there who are first to criticize and perhaps they had no major set backs, so f'n what!!!
I am 45, just had a hysterectomy with one ovar left and all was smooth sailing up to about 3 weeks ago ( my surgery was about 4 wks ago).  I am way too happy to have had it done compared to all the pain and discomfort.  The problem now: I'm a raving lunatic and newly married! I cry over anything, my reality is so far from everyone else's.  My mood swings are over the top!  I was absolutely NOT PREPARED for this!For anyone to say oh hell you have one ovary left and there is no reason to be this way is way out of their f'n gourd!!!  This is what is happeing to me and to my new husband and family.  My marriage is almost on the rocks because I am so out of contol emotionally.  HELP!!!!  I know something is not right with me, I sure wasn't like this before surgery.  How do you decide what to take when you know you need a fix ASAP and don't have all the time in the world to research it?????
I remember a few days after I had my hysterectomy, just standing in the kitchen crying.  I had no reason to cry.........I just felt so sad. My husband and kids were like, "What's wrong?"  I was like, "I don't know".   I couldn't explain it!!   Also, take into consideration that you can't do anything major for 6 weeks.  That was hard for me!!  Having a hysterectomy is hard on your hormones.  But, this will pass and you will feel GREAT!!  I went through the same thing, your body will adjust!  It has been over two years for me and I feel great!  GOOD LUCK!!
I have never been in this kind of room before but do not know what else to do.  I am 7 weeks post partial hysterectomy.  My recovery was a bit bumpy and of course I am still pushing myself.   I still get horrible shooking pains where my uterus "used to be" now it is in a lab in CA so they tell me.  My reason for the post is I have two young children 4 and 3.  Since the surgury I am yelling at them and my husband something horrible.  Don't get me wrong I yelled prior but lately I have no patience at all.  I am emotional too.  I am starting to yell, feel like a horrible parent and then you would think i would stop yelling but no.  I do not really understand what is going on with me. I thought I was not suppose to experience this if I had one ovary still in.  Any suggestions?  Any over the counter "chill mom out pills"?  

Thanks,

I had a hysterectomy in Sept of 2006.  I am now experiencing some of the things the other ladies on here are experiencing only it seems everyone else experienced them a lot sooner than I did.  I cry over the littlest things.  My finacee thinks something is wrong with us and thinks that he is doing something wrong.  I can't explain the feelings I am having so it is hard for him to understand.  I wake up numerous times throughout the night sometimes I am sweating so bad I have to change clothes.  I have called the doctor and set up an appointment to talk with her about these problems.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am only 30 years old, isn't that too soon to be going through menopause?
I just want to thank everyone for their comments and support. I had my hysterectomy about one month ago now. At first I experienced all of the pain you experience when you have your body messed with. I too still have one ovary and was told that because of that I would have no hormonal problems. Hmmmm, seems like that is wrong!!! I feel like I'm crawling out of my skin, I feel anxious and crazy. I have had panick attacks in the past and I take xanax for that, but xanax is not working right now at all. Usually one xanax will knock me out cold for at least 8 hours. I took one about 4 hours ago now and I'm still not asleep. I am also an emotional person normally so it's not unlike me to cry....but this is ridiculous, I'm depressed and even t.v. makes me cry....happy or sad. I am moody and I feel like a crazy woman. I have an appointment with my surgeon this week for a check up and I didn't want to tell him what was going on, he assured me that one ovary would take care of all hormonal issues. Obviously not. I don't know that I have menopause, I'm not sweating or having hot flashes but this anxiety, crying, depression and moodiness is something that needs to be handled and he needs to know. Anyways, I want to thank everyone again for at least letting me know that it's not just me. Good luck to everyone and I hope that one day Doctor's will know enough to predict these things happening and give us some hope........maybe we should start a one ovary support group lol
I must say that this has helped me... I am 38 and a mother of 4 boys, and my youngest is 6 mo I am still nursing I had my hysterectomey 4weeks ago  I do have both of my overies but it just now that I am feeling like a raging mad women... Don't get me wrong I know that people think that because I am a mom of 4 boys that is normal.  But I know myself and I have never in mylife felt the rage of anger that pops up! and sometimes for no reason.... I am forgetful, sleepless and just not myself I have called my doctor and will be seeing her today.  I am thankful for everyones in put and seeing that we are not alone.  
I am a 33 year old mother of 3 girls my youngest being 2 my oldest 17, I too had a hysterectomy almost 9 months ago and my feelings of depression are only getting worse,I am experiencing much of the same symptoms as everyone else not sleeping loss of patience and feelings of wanting to come out of my own skin, I too have one ovary left,my dr. never discussed me have any of these feelings or offered me any meds after my surgery if there is anyone who can give me any advice on treatments I would greatly appreciate it.
I am 30 years old , i have no children i had a total hysterectomy on 13/11/2008 since having the operation i have suffered with terrible depression, panick attacks. I am currently on antidepression tablets but dont seem to be doing much, i am constantly paronoid, my anger level is through the roof. I can cry at the drop of an hat, this is causesing major problems between me and my partner as he is being driven up the wall by my constant nature of accusing him of finding other women attractive as my self worth has hit the ground..... Is this normal?????
Sorry this is going to sound like a comerical but I swear by it. Look into bioidentical hormone therapy.  It will change your life.  They saved my sanity after my complete hysterectomy 6 years ago.
Hooray!! So I'm not going insane! (Once again)  2 years Prior to my hysto I had a severe breakdown, no one knew what was going on.... after the 2 year span and 5 weeks before having to have the op my Doc discovered through  blood tests that I was Pre menopausal!
So the past two years were due to my hormones being out of whack but it just wasn't showing ( I seriously thought I was losing the plot)
Now 4 weeks after my op I am feeling pretty much the same as all you other women out there and as horrible as this may sound I am so happy to see we are all going through the same bloody thing!!! There obviously is light at the end of the tunnel!! I can't wait....
I don't under stand. I had a Hysterectomy about 10 weeks ago, they left both overies but had to take alot off of both. I am 29 years old, my 4 kids are my life but I can't stand them at times. I have always has alot of patents but anymore I wonder whats wrong with me. My husban is the love of a life time and I can't stand him either. I just get so angry over nothing really. Will this go away?
                                                   Sherry
I have been on antidepressants for about nine years and a very low dose of zanax once a day when needed. No problem, but since I had a full hysterectomy including cervix (very large tumor) in March I am losing it. I read the first letter and it's as if I wrote it. I knew I would have some mood swings and crying fits but now the paranoia is setting in and I'm getting worse. I thought my meds stopped working until my son pointed out that I was thrown into instant menopause like a cannonball. He said this person he sees is not the same as the one before the surgery. I actually thought I would have to put myself in a psych ward. I am seeing my ob tonite. HRT is not an option for me due to the risks and I don't want to adjust my other meds since it took a while for me to find the right combo. It's a relief to find I am not the ony one, not that I'm glad we are going through this. I will try the soy and yams but if the Dr. has a better solution than we have I will surely pass it on. Hang in there everyone. I am 53.
wow. so glad to know im not alone. I had a partial hysterectomy in Oct 2009. I still have both ovaries so like everyone else my dr says it not hormonal. I have been extremely angry and moody since. I have 3 children and a wonderful husband and I truly feel sorry for them. I can totally blow up over the slightest thing and lose it. After pitching my fit, i feel horrible for the way i spoke to them so i break down and cry for hours. Ive always had patience and now i dont have any. I know im being difficult and i am impossible to get along with but i dont know what to do. Its not like i can stop the way i feel. Im going to my reg dr next wk to see if maybe he can do something for me,  Anyone know of anything over the counter i can take til then?  Dawn
I am a raging fool.  Had my uterus removed and keep both ovaries 6 weeks ago and I have had major mood swings, yelling and anger issues.  I don't know what to do. My poor family has taken the brunt of all of this.  My husband finally got up the nerve to ask me if I thought the surgery had anything to do with my mood swings.  Never really thought about it becasue I still have my ovaries and didn't think hormones would be a problem, but now I think it very well could be.  If anyone gets advice from their dr on what to do, please share!!
I am 34 and had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, over the last 4 or 5 days, I too have been having major mood swings....sometimes I feel as if I am going crazy.  But now that I have read all these posts, I know that I am not alone, and I know that I am not going crazy,  I will definitly talk to my GYN ASAP !   Thanks everybody !

Deanne
Oh and BTW, I have one ovary left also !
I had a Hysterectomy 4 days ago, and I feel like I am going crazy!
My boyfriend is starting fights with me left and right, because the words are just not coming out right.
I have tryed talking to him about how I feel inside but it gets me no where. all I do now is cry, and feel lost and alone. has anyone felt this way after a Hys?

thanks meggie
It has almost been a month after my total hysterectomy.  I look as though nothing has ever happened to me, but I am having major mood swings.  When I get like this I noticed my family is wondering what is going on and I take a deep breath and stop, realizing I need to slow down.  Now, I am waiting for the day this will all be behind me because the women I know who has gone through this have stated it has been the best thing. I am taking Climara and fortunately have not had any experience with sleeplessness and heat flushes. About an 2 hours after surgery I was given the patch.  Trying to learn more about bioidentical hormones since synthetic hormones seems very risky to me.
Omg, I was just at the ob dr. today getting my hormones checked. I thought i was going crazy. Emotional basket case before the surgery, lived like that for a year. Got the hysterectomy, kept one ovary become insane but seems to be getting a little better. Only flipp out ever once in a while. My husband made the appointment.LOL Waiting on the results. I always thought this hormone thing was a crock. Huh, crock my butt. This is some serious crapp. You hear about all these women killing there husbands and kidds and you sit back a think omg how could they do such a thing. I have not been that bad but i could see now how it could happen. It's very scarey to not be able to control your emotions.
after reading allthese posts/replies etc.... I had just my left ovary removed and Im 47.  upon reflection at 6 weeks post op--- i am gald to report that i did not have to commit myself, but did manage to loose a few freinds durung the past weeks.  ie: just blurting out mean things..... being aware that my fluctuation in hormones contributed to my dimeanor was helpful but did not solve it.    it sounds like removal of the  uterous obviously plays part into JUST AS MUCH of  a fluctuation in hormones as any of the ovaries.  The most disturbing part in reading this is- the lack of information given and possible issues one may experience concerning this surgery.  Not being told about being knocked out of your senses (even as a possibility) is inexcusable!  remeber ladies, it feels horrible now, but is onlky temporary.  and there is some great advise on here already posted that sounds greatly helpful (diet, natural options, counsel, etc)
dont avoid the storm- learn to dance in the rain....=)
I had a hysterectomy 7 weeks ago, still have both ovaries.  I have been majorly moody and severly depressed to the point I have considered taking my life.  I have never felt this worthless.  I have 3 boys, so it is not the fact of never being able to have kids again, I am fine with that.  Is this normal?  My ob checked my hormone levels and says I am not going through menopause.  I don't know what to do anymore.  I don't know where to turn.  
Tinktink10 sounds to me like you need to seek some professional health.  Being depressed to the point you seem to be is a serious risk.  I hope you're getting help from someone qualified to help you.  We all seem to be having mood swings but yours do sound pretty extreme!

To everyone else:  I'm glad to know i'm not going crazy as far as my mood swings go.  BUT, my question is.... in 2 days I will be 1 year post hysterectomy.  Are heavy mood swings still part of the norm this far out?  Also, I noticed today that I'm craving chocolate like CRAZY!  I didn't use to really crave chocolate.  Anyone else experience this?  I'm not much of a chocolate eater... at least I wasn't.  Today?  Eek!
Personality change is completely predictable and the doctors who amputate women's life-sustaining organs know it. They just don't tell the women whose lives they are destroying; the women whose futures they are deciding. It makes me physically ill to read all of the above comments. Hysterectomy is a surgery that should rarely ever be performed. It is estimated to be life-saving only 1% of the time. The life-longe devastating effects are too horrific to live with. Think about it... in 1985, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that it contituted 'cruel and unusual' punishment to surgically castrate child molesters and rapists yet American GYN's surgically castrate over half a million women a year; women who have committed no crime. What does that tell you? It tells me a great deal about why I suffer beyond words since being hysterectomized and castrated over three years ago. The doctors who are amputating women's female sex organs know the damage they are doing. The damage has been well documented throughout history. If you are reading this and have already allowed a doctor to talk you into amputating your female sex organs; there is not much that can be done to help you ever regain all that was lost and will continue to be lost. The only help or hope you have is in God and in restoration spiritually. Unfortunately, the doctors who amputate our organs have no clue what to do afterward ro you medically and don't really care. So.. they do nothing. They tell you that they have never heard of any woman experiencing the problems you are or that it must be an emotional problem and that you should see a psychiatrist, etc. If you have not allowed a doctor to amputate your female sex organs; please don't. Either way, please visit my web site at www.************************.com and read just how sane you are. It is your doctor who is 'crazy'; 'crazy for money that is'. Many of the doctors who spend their career amputating women's organs are criminals and have issues with women. Just because a person makes it through medical school does not by any means make them moral, 'normal', caring, honest, etc., etc. We can no longer look to doctors as being some type of God-figure. They are human beings just like us. They have their demons just like most of us. Don't allow a doctor to amputate your God-given organs so he/she can continue to live in a lavish life-style. Believe me, your life-style will become a nightmare....
I had my hysterectomy on 22nd of Feb 2011 and a out a week after I have been totally feeling like I have lost my mind. Not to be happy that other people feel this way but I'm really glad to know I'm not crazy I really thought I was losing it thanks
I had my hysterectomy in January 2011 and have one ovary left.  I am so glad to know that I'm not the only one who is experiencing the crying, moods swings, irritability!   My kids and husband have suffered from this as I'm  more irritable than I have ever been.  I'm going to see someone today and I sure hope they have answers.  
I had an ectopic pregnancy years ago and had a tube removed as a result...jst a month ago i had a salpingo oophorectomy and the other tube removed and my left ovary...  now  am moody,sad, aand i need help!!! My GYN does not listen to me.
Omg I am so relieved to see others are experiencing the same emotions I am. I had my complete hysterectomy on 8/2. After about 4 weeks anger came from nowhere. I was also still experiencing quite a bit of pain. My gyn started me on low dose hrt, which needed to be increased. Even with the hrt I still have a lot of anger & depression. Along with that severe abdominal pain. I do not want to appear to be whiny or crazy, which is how I feel most of the time. Have recently found out I have ibs or crohns. I have been released by my gyn. I recently went to my primary care doc who will not right a rx for xanex or pain meeds due to our new state laws! Prior to this I have not asked for pain meeds or xanex, so I feel I am being prosecuted due to the abuse by others who in the past have abused these drugs. Any ideas for me out there? Let me please add I quite smoking after 20 years the day of my surgery & recently lost a pet. Any one out there have any ideas for me? Thanks to everyone out there for letting me vent.

Physcolady
U r right I had everything removed except for one ovary and that was 3 months ago.My husband tells me I need to get a grip but he doesn't know what to do either.I feel happy,sad,mad,and depressed all within a few moments of each other every day.what gets me is how people can say oh u have one ovary u shouldn't be feeling this way...bull!!!! And to tell someone they don't need to be on something because they think it's unordinary
Sorry I didn't finish ...to tell someone they don't need to be on anything because it's unordinary to feel this way with one ovary is out of their gourd!!! I have been an emotional wreck since around week 4of my hysterectomy.if u r out there and feel this way it's NOT unordinary!!!I am relieved to know I am not a whack job and others r feeling like I am.My doctor suggested black cohosh...so I'm gonna try...thanks guys for helping me through this by posting how u all r feeling too
I feel them same way. I am 39 and single and have 2 children, one 18 and one 15. Neither one of them help me do anything around the house. I had my uterus and one ovary removed a week ago and I am not supposed to be doing anything, but with no help I have to. On top of that I am an emotional wreck! I can't sleep. I have panic attacks. I take xanax and ambien and still don't sleep. I am at my wits end..... I am glad to be rid of the periods and pain from that but the hormone adjustment is killing me.
Wow....this is crazy.  I had a complete Hysterectomy (cervix & uterus) a week ago today.  But three days ago (4 days post) my boyfriend sat me down at the kitchen table and using some harsh words explained to me that in no uncertain terms I was being a complete jerk to all my my friends and family.  At that point I had felt like I was being nasty to people but I also felt justified in all of my reactions; almost like I was seeing people for who they really are.  My boyfriend even thought that maybe my pain meds were to blame for my emotional outbursts.  It wasn't until I read all of these posts did I realize that it may be a side effect.  Although I do feel like I was being nasty and that I had a right to be to some people; I think maybe I wouldn't have done/said anything "out of sorts" if my hormones were in check.  
It was great to read all your comments.  I only had one ovary and then had a partial hysterectomy 6 days ago.  In the hospital a rush of uncontrollable emotions hit me and I cried like a baby.  Maybe I was emotional because they put me in the maternity ward and everyone was asking if I had a boy or girl.  I am 43 so I guess the hysterectomy made me feel old.  I think I took my husband by surprise.   I must admit that I still feel sad and a little grumpy.  It helps to hear what others have gone through so I know it is normal if it hits harder.  By the way, I have started to move around more, but then get cramps.  Am I pushing it or are cramps normal at this stage? Thank you ladies!!!!  I hope all works well with you all too!
I am 5 weeks post op and on an emotional roller coaster.  I have anxiety, panic, I cry, laugh, feel agitated, I don't know what's going on I know I just want to feel better.  I am glad to see everyone's posts so I know I am not going crazy. When will this pass?
Hi. im 32 and had a sub total hysterectomy 6 weeks ago. i,e had my womb removed but my ovaries and cervix left .
I to am currently experiencing mood swings and irritability. one minute im happy then i feel terribly irritable all of a sudden. My gyney said this is completely normal due to a change of hormones and also my body needing time to get used to a part of me thats now missing. He said it will settle when my body gets used to the change. I have three kids, 9, 6 and 2 and had a hysterectomy due to severe endometriosis. I have to say its the best thing i did, no more pain. its brilliant. I think we all seem to forget that a hysterectomy is a massive thing to have, and our body goes into shock for a while, this can defo make woman tearful and moody. All we need is time to adjust. I have just started a fitness program of 30 mins every morning. this defo helps, makes me feel more happy and sets me up for the day. Also helps me feel less tired and more energetic, so mabi its a good idea to try, its defo helps. Good luck to u all and lots of love

Lisa x
I'm 21 and just had a hysterectomy and I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Everything you have said I have been dealing with and going thru. It has completely changed me. I'm on hormone suppressers.
Thank God for this website because I was going crazy!  I recently had a hysterectomy 2 months ago and the mood swings are already in full effect- I'm irritable one minute- ready to burst into tears the next- then ready to rip my husbands clothes off and have sex all night the next minute.  I was told that I would experience minor mood swings but there is absolutely nothing minor about what I'm going through- I've been to the ER for bad anxiety attacks- headed to see a therapist in 3 weeks- I felt like I was going crazy but after finding this site, I find comfort in knowing that this is "normal" after the procedure, so thank you ladies for sharing your stories- God bless
Hello.... I just had my hysterectomy exactly 7days ago. The day before my surgery my ex husband broke into my apartment and stole me and my daughter dog. Her name is "Charpay".  I figured he would bring her back because of my daughter. But I was incorrect. I have a protective order in place that we will hear on this month. His actions are over the top.  Since then I've experienced my first panic attack along with an outburst of tears in reference to missing our dog. Some say go to the police... Others say wait it out... I'm a emotional wreck because I see this as my fault. I need to get out of this apartment for one. I go for my 1st check up 2morrow. Maybe I will mention my mood swings to my doctor. Thank you all for your post they have enlightened me dearly.
Signed prayup2
Signed prayup2
Wow, Troid, my husband read what you wrote and asked if I had. It's the same time frame for me since my surgery and I am experiencing the exact same symptoms. I have an appointment with my general doctor to see if I can get some answers. I hope we all can find the support and help we need. And to Flour, everyone experiences things differently. I have suddenly become more fearful when riding in a car too. It's a true feeling and has nothing to do with paranoia.

I married the love of my life and we were so happy for a few months before I noticed severe mood swings and severe emotional reactions to what I considered relatively insignificant things. It's killing our relationship.

She had the hysterectomy years ago but still gets "hot flashes" but doesn't take ANY hormone therapy or anything.

What to do?

David
I am so glad I am not alone. I had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and they left my ovaries. I have been ridiculously moody and if I weren't me I probably wouldn't want to be around myself. One minute I'm happy and the next minute I'm fighting mad and I feel like I just want to scream. I am considering asking my doctor for meds to help me but moreso the people around me cope cause this is outrageous. Thank you guys for sharing.