morning after pill and spotting

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

morning after pill and spotting

On Sunday, July 18, I had sex with my boyfriend. At the very beginning, we didn't use a condom, but then for the rest of it we did. An hour later (at the most) I took the morning after pill (single dose).

At the moment, I was off monthly BC, and am planning on going back on it regularly after this period.

I had it last month around June 25, so it should be coming soon, except that I keep reading that the MAP delays your period by a few days. I also started spotting yesterday and today, which is apparently also quite normal.

I read that the sooner you take the MAP pill, effectiveness is between 95-98%. However, this is the first time I let this happen without already being on regular BC, and though I'm technically not late yet or anything, I'm worried.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any reassurance?? I'd greatly appreciate any input. Thank you :)
Avatar n tn
Hi there,

Don't worry I am sure everything would be ok. Ummm, I took the morning after pill  on Friday so I am still waiting. The pharmacist however told me that the cycle may be a little off. If you want to make sure though. Take a pregnancy test. Thats the best bet.
technically my period was set to start between today and tomorrow. This morning I had another spotting, now feeling kinda bloated. Waiting is hard...

Other than the spotting and a slight dizziness the day after, I haven't had any of the other side effects (like nausea, cramping, etc).

Nonetheless, I just want the wait to be over with...
Conclusion:

last night I had really intense cramping. At about midnight I got up and went to the bathroom and finally started bleeding. Since then it has been a REALLY heavy day 1 and quite painful too, but other than that, it was only one day late.

So everything is fine :)

giant sigh of relief
Avatar n tn
I am so happy to hear that. Now your mind is at ease. I am freaking out. Lol.
When is your period due? From what I read, it is still normal if it takes up to a week after it's due. Just keep an eye on it.

On a side note, a different side effect that I got from the hormone change and the stress was a yeast infection (which is also apparently really common). Taking treatment for it and both the period and the infection are going away, but if anything, I definitely learned my lesson and hope this helps others too!
I am having the exact same experience that you had after taking the morning after pill.  Did it take a while for your yeast infection to clear up?  I have been taking medication for two weeks and I still have symptoms of yeast.  I took oral diflucan first and now I am using a suppository medication.  Also, Did you have any long term side effects?  since I see this has been a few years back?  thank you
KTowne commented on renae176's status
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Hollus commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals