morning after pill and spotting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

morning after pill and spotting

On Sunday, July 18, I had sex with my boyfriend. At the very beginning, we didn't use a condom, but then for the rest of it we did. An hour later (at the most) I took the morning after pill (single dose).

At the moment, I was off monthly BC, and am planning on going back on it regularly after this period.

I had it last month around June 25, so it should be coming soon, except that I keep reading that the MAP delays your period by a few days. I also started spotting yesterday and today, which is apparently also quite normal.

I read that the sooner you take the MAP pill, effectiveness is between 95-98%. However, this is the first time I let this happen without already being on regular BC, and though I'm technically not late yet or anything, I'm worried.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any reassurance?? I'd greatly appreciate any input. Thank you :)
Hi there,

Don't worry I am sure everything would be ok. Ummm, I took the morning after pill  on Friday so I am still waiting. The pharmacist however told me that the cycle may be a little off. If you want to make sure though. Take a pregnancy test. Thats the best bet.
technically my period was set to start between today and tomorrow. This morning I had another spotting, now feeling kinda bloated. Waiting is hard...

Other than the spotting and a slight dizziness the day after, I haven't had any of the other side effects (like nausea, cramping, etc).

Nonetheless, I just want the wait to be over with...
Conclusion:

last night I had really intense cramping. At about midnight I got up and went to the bathroom and finally started bleeding. Since then it has been a REALLY heavy day 1 and quite painful too, but other than that, it was only one day late.

So everything is fine :)

giant sigh of relief
I am so happy to hear that. Now your mind is at ease. I am freaking out. Lol.
When is your period due? From what I read, it is still normal if it takes up to a week after it's due. Just keep an eye on it.

On a side note, a different side effect that I got from the hormone change and the stress was a yeast infection (which is also apparently really common). Taking treatment for it and both the period and the infection are going away, but if anything, I definitely learned my lesson and hope this helps others too!
I am having the exact same experience that you had after taking the morning after pill.  Did it take a while for your yeast infection to clear up?  I have been taking medication for two weeks and I still have symptoms of yeast.  I took oral diflucan first and now I am using a suppository medication.  Also, Did you have any long term side effects?  since I see this has been a few years back?  thank you