muscle spasms under breast in ribs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

muscle spasms under breast in ribs

I have muscle spasm in or around the ribs on both sides (in the front under the breast and sometimes in the back at the same horizontal position), it feels like a ball rolling, in that it switches sides. It occurs even at night during sleep, painful enough to wake me.  I only know that when I relax and stretch (the side where the knot is) using several positions I have to wait till it goes away, in many cases to have it return in other places described above. What does it mean, how do I treat it.  I have high blood pressure and the meds deplete my potassium so I take a prescription supplement for that.  What should I be asking my doctor.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Did you ever find out what this was.  I have been having similar pain for about 5 months now.  Docs don't know what the problem is.  Please let me know if you found anything out.
Aloha Ms. Judy I know exactly the pain you speak of, as well as the positions you need to get in to simply make it subside. However, Ive mentioned it to my doctor as well and she knows nothing of what I speak of. Although, Im still trying to find out myself what is the cause of such symptoms. Im just here to share and am elated to know Im not the only one who shares such pain. But am looking into who might be able to point me into the direction of relief. Take Care and God Bless =0)
i too have started getting this, it feelks like a tightened  muscle...it is very un nerving....if you have any more information on what this could be   please let me know....take care   xxx
Greetings from Maine,
I also have had these symptoms on my left side...it begins with a tingling sensation front lower rib cage and tightens with crawling sensations.  It's like a leg cramp.  I have curvature of the spine (scoliosis) and my theroy is that later in the day as my muscles tire on the left in back near the spine, it creates a fatigued muscle group and the ones in the front simply cramp up.  I have even grabbed the area, squeezing it, massaging it to release.  It is very annoying and unpleasant. It has been a few months now and happens several times an hour.  It happens outside the ribs where there aren't many thick muscles but it's enough to stop me in the middle of what I am doing.  

Any news out there?

Kim
It's amazing how many of us there are who share these symptoms.  Your post caught my eye because you likened this to a leg cramp and I had just been thinking that perhaps the treatment for a charley horse might be helpful to use.
When I searched charley horse I was surprised to find that doctors have "a slew of tips to keep the spasms at bay: drinking plenty of water, eating enough potassium, and stretching before and after exercise is supposed to help avoid cramps."
"When you get a charley horse, massages, stretching, warm baths, and ice are all generally recommended (although none are scientifically proven to work). Those who want relief in pill form can try vitamin B12 supplements."
I've had this under the left breast pain for 10 days now and although the intensity of the pain varies it hasn't totally gone away at any time.  I'll be trying the suggested muscle cramp remedies to see if they can provide some lasting relief.  
Take care and good luck to you.
Sherrie54

I've been having the under-breast-rib charley horses for a long time; just bending over will cause them.  I never thought of it in connection with the leg/hip cramps I've had for the last 4 months, but maybe...  I've been tested for everything spinal/nerve, etc. because the the leg/hip cramps are severe and constant and worse than any long-term pain I've ever had.  I wonder if it's as simple as a deficiency?  It's been very debilitating and I've even lost weight just because it's too much trouble to go get something to eat.  I work and I limit my "upright" time to what I have to do, which is when the pain returns.  Recently, the charley horses have been waking me up, and if I stretch in bed, I could get one anyplace, from foot/leg/hip to under the breast.  .It's incredibly painful!  I sure hope I find that it's a potassium-or-something deficiency.
hmm ... how about asking ur docs for a contrast medium abdominal cat scan ? or even a colonoscopy (the hepatic flexure is right where u describe the pain)
i have some huge ovarian cysts and my first symptom was indigestion for 2 years
and high blood pressure then pain under my right rib ... i urge u to ask because without looking at the whole area u may not get a diagnosis ... i feel empathy for all those with
"unexplained symptoms" my sister had OVCA for three years before she finally got a diagnosis and treatment and now she has it for the third time and numerous post op complications her best advice was to be persistent as u know ur bodies and know its not right good luck ya'll
sharon
I have the charlie horses in various places around my body, legs, feet, hands, under the ribs, under the breasts, etc.  The pain can be excruciating.  It can literally bend me over, make me cry, and scream out in pain.  It happens in the shower, walking, using the bathroom, sitting in a chair, sleeping, etc.  There is no particular time that this occurs.  I can be doing nothing at all but laying on the sofa watching TV.  If I get them in my legs, I have to walk them out.  There's been times where I could hardly finish my shower or using the toilet because the pain was so bad that everytime I tried to finish doing what I needed to do, the pain would come back.  Try sitting on the toilet for half an hour so you can finally clean yourself.  The doctors are useless.  I've had every test there is and they cannot find any issues.  However, I can tell you that if I take calcium supplements 2,000 mg daily - two 500 mg pills once in the evening and once in the morning per day that they are greatly reduced.  I can always tell if I didn't take my calcium because I will start getting the charlie horses worse.  I'm also on high blood pressure medication.  There is one more thing I want to mention.  After I started taking high blood pressure mediation, the charlie horses got worse.  They started when I was a teenager.  Up until I started taking blood pressure medication, Yoga seemed to help me a great deal.  Unfortunately, Yoga doesn't seem to help me now.  
If I bend or twist slightly, my whole side and under my breast tighten so much, I am rigid, cant move for at least 20-30 seconds, I find it hard to take a breath and it is very frightening.  I am scared to twist incase it starts up.  I have to hold my breath until the pain starts to subside.  I am on blood pressure medication. I am a bit nervous to go to the doctor incase its something serious.
This is all very interesting.  I have had the same pains under my right breast for quie some time now.  I first noticed when I was working out trying to do abdominal crunches. It is very painful and the only way I can get it to go away is to rub it out.  It almost feels like a charlie horse.  I too take blood pressue medications, maybe it is a connection.  You tell your doctor and he just looks at you like it is all in your head.  
i feel much better reading all your entries !  i have all the same symptoms, and "leg cramp" type pains under my left breast all the time.  wakes me up in the middle of the night also.  and, the next day, if feels achy.   i TOO am on high blood pressure medicine.  had all the tests done, nothing shows up, dr thinks i have head issues.  
OMG...any time I bend over....the pain under my right breast is unreal.  I can't breathe...yes, feels like a charley horse and happens sometimes at night when I turn over in bed.  I don't take high blood pressure meds, and actually I have low blood pressure.  I also take tons of potassium citrate for my kidneys.   Thanks for posting all this info.  It was very helpful.  Since no one has had any results seeing a physician, I guess I won't be seeking a Dr.'s help any time soon.  Please, please if anyone has taken anything that has helped, please post it.
How true I've read all the recent comments and agree with all.  For the past several weeks I've worked with a physcial therapist to strengthen the muscles from my mid-back to under my breast it's been slow but it appears to be working. He gave me a couple of simple exercises.  You may want to consult a licensed physical therapist in your area.  
There just has to be something to this.  For a year now I too have been having the same problem.   It is under my left breast bone mostly happens in the bathroom or turning around seated in the passenger seat to get my purse on the floor board.  It is VERY scary it starts under my armpit, then under my rib (breastbone) radiates to my left shoulder blade. I used capsation and it helps .I also put it under my breast.  Be careful it is like hot pepper but better than scary pain. I also walk around rubbing it at home but out some where it looks strange. Also I have pain constantly in my left shoulder blade especially upon waking I have to work it out any ideas what it could be or what to do? It is like sharp pain that last for hours after I awake.
I have those pains too.  They are muscle cramps.  A massage by a professional masseuse will help.  To get your cramps to go away within 30 minutes, take a quinine sulfate tablet. (260mg tablet).  Works every time.  They use to be over the counter but now you need to get a prescription.  I don't think they interfer with other meds.  Ask your doctor.
I too have this problem. At first I could feel it when I would try to shave my legs. The other day I was shoveling the snow and had what I call an attack. It feels like a charlie horse under my left breast. It almost feels like it is going to burst. I shoveled the next day and again it happened. Now I feel a sensation in that spot. The cramp will happen when I move a certain way. I also have high blood pressure.
My mum has the same sort of thing, that has been going on for 4 years. But when the spasm comes the only thing to stop it is to stand up. It occurs whenever she sits funny or moves to fast, bends or Stretches. But not like excersise stretches, just when she yawns etc. Her stomach turns into a rock when it happens, and it is rather scary. Sometimes it happens, stops, happens again and continues for 10 mins. Doctors keep saying pulled muscle, but when she eats it also occurs so that couldn't be right. Any suggestions would really help me?! Couldn't be anything horrid like cancer etc, could it?
Greeting from Ms. I am having muscle spams in both sides under my ribs. It hurts so bad. What ever you find out please let me know.
Oh my goshen's.... I am so glad (not really, because this stuff is not fun for anyone who experiences it)... I have been having these cramp/spasms under my breast for several years now... they come, usually when I bend over...first time was in the shower to pick up the soap...thought I would keel over... feels like a big snake rolling under my ribcage, leaving a large knot...it subsides when I stretch upward, basically giving it some room... (I am very shortwaisted so there's not too much room there, as it is)  when it leaves I am left with the soreness...I have learned to be really careful how I bend and/or stretch..also,  I have high blood pressure...was diagnosed with 3 herniated and 1 ruptured disc in 2004...which leaves me with really weak back so it may have something to do with this...I just started going to a new Dr., whom I really like and I am going to ask him if he can tell me more... besides medications for HBP, I take a "natural" supplement from "The Vitamin Shoppe" called Boron+ Bone support, it has helped tremendously to eliminate the bad, bad, cramps & charley horses in my legs, which I have had for years and years... they are almost gone...and the chest pain is limited...maybe you'll should try it, it is inexpensive...worth taking a chance
I have had this same problem with muscle cramps/rigid muscles under my ribs/breasts for almost a year now.  It can occur at any time.  Nothing seems to trigger it to my knowledge.  It hurts like hell.  I screamed so loud once a neighbor came to check on me.  I've searched and searched and talked to doctors and found nothing.  What the heck is going on?  Look how many of us have this problem and found this site.  How many can't find it?  I've been searching online for over six months and this is the first time this came up in my search.  In the past I have found nothing of any value to help me.  It is so frustrating.  If males were having this problem it would probably be resolved by now.  Surely there is a medical professional who can take up our cause.
I get the same thing. But i noticed I usual get this after I've done something strenuous . Like I just got done scraping wall paper and the next day it started.  I just panic!! It is so horrible . I talked to my doc. about it and got no where. I am not on any blood pressure meds. You never no when it will strike. I walk around like a stiff robot because one false move and thats it. So now I will go to bed with a heating pad and hope I survive the night.  Thanks to all of you for letting me know that I am not alone. Lets keep talking in case someone out there can help us.
One more thing . All of u who posted these comments . What are your ages ? because a few people I know who gets these spasms are middle aged. I thinking it has something to do with that. I'm 48 and tthey started about 3 yrs. ago.
Im 35 and have had these spasms in my ribs, shoulders, and neck for about a year. I cant make any connections to why. I already take 1000 mg of calcium faithfully every day and B12. Im going to add potassium and see what happens. I already drink plenty of water. When I typed in "spasms in ribs" on google I found this site. I couldnt believe anything came up and then to find all of you going through the same thing. Wow! Maybe we can help each other.
I have been getting the same muscle cramp for almost 14 years.  The pain is under my right rib cage.  It comes at any time of the day.  I get it maybe once or twice a month.  I just had an episode in work and I am still in pain.  I thought it might be my gall bladder, but am not sure.
I'm 35 and mostly healthy (a few extra pounds that I could stand to lose).  I googled this because when I bend (excessively) at the waist - ie. to look at my toes - my stomach muscle (?) rolls over the bottom of my rib cage.  Can't breathe and have to massage the hard "knot" down off my bone.  I just started experiencing this in the last year.  

I had a twins about 3 1/2 years ago and gained 90 lbs during the pregnancy - not sure if that has anything to do with it.  The pregnancy wrecked havoc on the rest of my body!  :)

It only happens occassionaly when I bend over at an extreme angle.  If anyone has any updates, I would love to know what is happening on the inside.  

Thanks!
I am currently attending school to be a registered massage therapist at the highest educational requirements in North America and I'm almost done so there's not a whole lot more I need to know.  If you have a chance go to see a well established Registered Massage Therapist, one who is educated in the body's anatomy and physiology.  There is something called Myofascial Trigger Points.  You can google it and probably get some good information on it.  Basically the idea is that there are taut bands of muscle fibers within your muscle and it can refer pain elsewhere in the body.  It is usually a deep achey (achy) pain but there is no cookie cutter explanation.  A good massage therapist will be able to treat these trigger points if that's what it is.  Cold drafts and fatiguing the muscles can cause flare ups.  So try taking 2 or 3 hot/warm baths or showers and stretching the muscles out. I think you will have good results with this.   Hope it helps :)
Thank goodess i thought they might lock me up in a mental ward! I've been getting spams under each breast and it is so unreal at times my doctor has did everything and i really think she thinks im losing my mind!! this has been going on for about 8 months now and all she can do for me is give me muscle relaxers and they dont even help I also take med's for high blood pressure as well as something for postassium among other med's Im 48 and I've learned to put a ice pack on it when I lay down and massage them quite often does anyone have any more clues what to do for them please anything if it works I'll try it
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem, but upset no one really has an answer.

My pain is excruciating. I have a very high tolerance, but when these spasms hit I can't stand, sit, walk... I pain goes around my whole rib cage, concentrated under my breast and around. I'm 33 years old and in good health (blood pressure normal) although I am a bit overweight. (I saw someone mentioned cysts on the ovaries; I do have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, but I can't really see how it would be connected.)Over the past year and a half I've had 4 episodes--the last one being this morning.

The first time I was woken up out of my sleep by the pain and I thought I was having a heart attack. I couldn't get a deep enough breath. I called an ambulance and was taken to ER. They said that maybe it was heartburn. It happened again 6 months later and I was watching TV. It came and went fairly quickly. The 3rd time was the next day and I was at work. I went to my primary care doctor who said he didn't think it was heartburn but said maybe I needed a breast reduction because my breast could be putting too much strain on my chest muscles. (Yeah, whatever, my breast are large but not that large!!) Today, I was raking my backyard and it started that was at 11 am and I'm just now up and about at 5pm. My doctor prescribed me a mild muscle relaxer last time and I'm glad I had some left. I took one of those and also some Pepto Bismol just in case it is heartburn.

Although I can probably say the raking movement probably did flare up these spasms this time, I have no idea what cause them in the past.

I hope at least one of us can get a diagnosis. Good luck to all.
im sorry its just a bit funny to me. i 2 had these crazy horrid cramps under my left breast last night. scared the **** plum out of me, i thought i was having a heart attach. i am only 26 and not on any meds. but i do have a severe panic disorder. this can cause a lot of seriouse symptoms that are absolutly nothing. i to have had every test ran on me cause of my panic issues and i am 100% healthy. so reading this i feel better again that im not alone with the cramps under my breast. i do have anxiety and also pulled muscles in my back as well as a pinched nerve directly in my back where the pain is under my breast actually. so maybe its a pulled muscle, piched nerve, or just some anxiety from stress(in arew heads as the dr's been telling everyone)
I am 53 and had my first bout with this when I had a pain in the upper left back about six months ago.  It started to spread to other areas and I went to a massage therapist, she did trigger points and it got better within a week.  But I had a similar attack on the right side about nine days ago, and I let it go for a few days.  I could feel the muscle spasms going under my right arm, under and into the breast.  Went to a different massage therapist who really presssed too hard and the pain got worse. I had breast cancer seven years ago, so immediately called my oncologist, had a cat scan of the chest.  Nothing.  Went to my family doctor, who noted my back under she shoulder blade, under the arm and breast area was all sore to the touch. He gave me muscle relexants and said to take ibuprofen.  That has helped, but the pain flared again today.

I also take Fosamax (or the generic equivalent) for bone density, and found the comments about calcium helpful.  I often forget to take the right amount of calcium, and I do knw the doctor has warned me about it.  He said the Fosamax will take the calcium from my bloodstream and make sure the bones get enough, but that other ares of the body will be lacking and there will be problems. I am going to add B12 and potassium, too, to see if that works.  Incredible that so many women have the same thing and no one knows what it is.  Please keep us posted if anyone learns anything.

I am elated to hear I am not alone!  I have had this for about a year and when I feel the muscle tighten at the ribcage, end up taking some pretty interesting poses to stretch it out!  The part that bothers me the most though, when these cramps started they were limited to the ribcage under the breast but now it seems to encompass the entire upper chest area (breast included).  First impulse is to grab the sucker and squeeze, but alas, not such a good idea in public.  I teach accounting software to companies all over the states and have learned to just work through the pain.  I cannot believe doctors don't have an answer!
I also have the same problems that you have under the left breast. This has been going on now for about 9 years. I have been to my family dr, surgical dr and to a specialist. The specialist runs the light down my throat. When he was done--you know what he said----THAT IT WAS PHANTOM PAINS---Don't think so. My husband knows that its not phantom pains because you can feel the knot that forms on the surface. I have to rub it down which takes about 20 sec. then i have this soreness for some time. You really feel like something is about to bust in there. I haven't had the nerve to go to another dr. yet, but its getting close. I'm so tried of this swelling pain. I can't do anything that requires using your muscles. If anyone knows what's causing this PLEASE! let me know.
I too have this pain, only under my left rib cage, just at the bottom edge of the ribs "a snake rolling around" is the best explanation. It doesn't hurt per say, it's just uncomfortable like heck.

I thought I had a tapeworm till I read all these!

I'm 15 months post-partum, and this never happened before the baby.

I also belly dance and quite honestly am in the tightest, best shape of my life.

I'm 35.

Thanks for at least letting me hear all these comments.
I am having the same problem under my right breast and sometime under my right armpit, the pain especialy obvious at night, when i stand up, pick up somthing from the floor, coughing, sneezing, movement during lay down.

Anyone consult a doctor and get cure?

Please share.. God blesses You All

angela
I am exactly the same .I too have high blood pressure.My pain has just happened after I bent over to wash my feet in the shower.The spasm is always under my right ribs and you can actually see the rippling till it calms.It happened at he gym recently too.I have had a scan wich shows my liver is fatty and slightly swollen and wonederd if it maybe hasn't room in my body when I bend and so causes it to spasm. I also had my gall bladder removed 6 years ago and it seems to be in this area and wondered about the connection.My tummy often seems swollen from under boobs downwards after it. I swear I look about 7 months pregnant. Its just all so annoying and unpredicatable when it happens.I am just surprised to find it so common.
I want to share my experience and testimony to those who suffer from pain under armpit and under breast.

When i had the pain for about one month, one morning when i was driving, the pain just started again when i tried to pick up some paper from the floor mat.

Nobody was around to help me, and i started to call for help from heavenly father Jesus Christ, Father father Jesus, please help me, take away my pain and heal me whatever is happen within my body.

I just keep praying say praises and driving  at the same time. Without noticed, when i reached my office, the pain just gone away.

Till today, about one week, everything is back to normal. No more pain after that morning.

I share this with all of you, GOD listen to my prayer, he listen to yours also, have faith with him.

GOD LOVE YOU.

gbyau  
I to have had this movement like a worm/snake traveling through a fatty tube under by left breast...it will swell up and move...strangest thing....on high blood pressure medicine for 40 years, have gained weight over the last 10 years wondering if that has anything - but then read above that some of you are in great shape.  I have had my gall bladder out and have a fatty liver....also on synthyroid for my thyroid and my tummy pill of prilosec...that is all I take...have read recently that taking potassium is dangerous .....I am low on this so eating is the best way....I will try the calcium and B vitamens to see if this helps.  My spasms go up and down and around the rib cage causing me to lose my breath.  I have learned instead of holding your breath take that leap which will hurt and breathe and it will help it disappear faster.  I get charlie horses all the time in toes and legs...pull your toes towards your chest this will help release the pain and then stand up quickly and forcefully step on that foot (painfull but will go away in a second).. I will keep checking back to see if anyone has a cure...keeping all in prayers for this painful condition....
When I read this forum I recognize some of the sympotoms like knots, spasm, muscles, ribs  .. very!! painfull. My mother has this (in her back just below the bra) for ten years and the doctors don't have a clue and say it might be stress related. When she gets it she jumps up and down. She used painkiller paracetamol with codeine which helpt but gives her a rash all over the body. When she lies down on bed the pain goes away. When she does not have it she can do everything. Lets find what it is !!
I too have been getting this pain on the left side for about 10 years. Mine comes mainly when I bend over or sometimes if I "push" during a bowel movement. I dont have high blood pressure or other muscle cramps. After investigating this for all these years I have come to the conclussion that it is splenic flexture syndrome ( on the right it would be hepatic flexture syndrome ) a form of IBS. My doctor has not been helpful at all. I have found if I eat high fiber foods or take Miralax on a regular basis, I do not have this problem, but let me get constipated or diarhea (diarrhea) and its going to be bad.
I have been getting this pain on my right side under my bra for a couple of years now and can be quite frightening.  It can happen when I am crouching over, or even exercising (closing the chest).  I have to stretch out to release the pain.  It feels like knots in a muscle pulling itself back into position.  I am worried about it.  We need to find out what this is!!!  I have had 2 children and did not have this pre-children!
I have also had this problem and am searching for answers today which is what lead me here. Went to see my MD and she gave me no concrete answers except that its "muscle spasms" and that I should use ben gay on it. whatever. I have my own theory. I believe that it is the underwire in my bra. I believe that the underwire is pinching some nerv ethere and when the nerve cant take it anymore it starts to spasm. I started having these about 3 years ago after having my son. My breast size grew and I gained over 40 pounds but I never changed my bras. I was still squeezing them into the same smaller sized bras. Ive stopped wearing bras with under wire so much and go bra less at home and this has almost completely eliminated the pain. I only get them now when I attempt crunches in a bra and i think that i may be coupling bad form with bras that are still to snug to work out in. So I recommend looking into ensuring that you are wearing the correct bra size and if possible wearing only/mostly the ones without underwire. Hope that this helps.
I too have had this pain since the birth of my last child, I too am over weight! I get the spasms everywhere...under my rib cage, under my breast, my back, feet and legs even my neck! It is starting to scare me and it is driving me crazy, it is very painful, seems like it takes forever to make the pain to go away!!! I would love to know what causes this!!
i too have this problem and it is excrutiating. its is good to ,know that i am not alone.  having read all the threads we are in the same situation.  however while there is some good hints to alleviate the problem, i would like to hear from the doctors reading this and ask them if they can shed any light and help solve our problems.  I am a 33 year old female and am slightly over weight however i am dieting and excersing to improve my health.
I can relate to all of you. I am 40 with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, I have had a sugary for that, low blood pressure (as far as I know), and only take medication for high cholesterol. What are we going to do? I didn't know what to think until I found this site.

Good luck in finding an answer. I will be sure to come back here, if I find out anything new to help us.
I am 52 and started having this 'cramping' under my right breast/rib about 8-10 years ago, but it has become more pronounced.  Healthy, with no blood pressure issues.  I work out regularly but am about 10 pounds overweight (and was 15-20 pounds lighter when the cramping started 8-10 years ago).  Have never had kids.

Has anyone considered body type?  I'm an apple shape.

The underwire bra comment was interesting, because I was thinking that might be the cause for me as well, before reading the comment.  Or perhaps the underwire just happens to jab at the spot that spasms.  Mine is a cramping that tends to come on when I bend or lean slightly.  I can do a full aerobic workout, with crunches and have no problem. Stand up to put weights or a step away, and whamb - cramp.  I stretch backwards with arms overhead to release the cramping.

For me it is very locallized, but always feels like it could cramp at any moment (even as I type this). Very frustrating and concerning.
I am a member of this club.  I am wondering if anyone else is very short like me.  I'm under 5' and overweight (although I seem to remember that I got this when I was thinner).  It happens rarely, but is scary when it does.
Started with shooting pain under right breast through rib cage about a year & a half ago - most pronounced while showering, turning during sleep.  Had x-rays, mammograms & no abnormalities.  Herniated a cervical disc a year ago & recovered. Otherwise healthy, active, 47 yrs old.  Now experiencing worsening electric shock type pain & muscle spasms under right breast, brief episodes of numbness in armpit & down right arm.  Able to remain active, play lots of golf without pain interfering, but having trouble with reaching, pulling & smaller, repetitive tasks using right arm.  Have stopped upper body workouts without improvement in symptoms. Going to ditch the underwire bra for a few weeks and see what happens.
I am 33 years old with one teenage daughter.  I am on the blood pressure med Benicar.  I have been having these pains under my right breast close to the armpit for a while.  It feels like a rolling boulder that is trying to get through a too small spot.  Am currently taking skelaxin 800mg, flexeril 10mg and advil.  Sad to say none of this really takes the pain away.  I also use a heating pad.

The only thing that really helps is constant rubbing--but I can't very well be sitting in a public or professional setting rubbing my breast!  I need relief. I cant keep missing days of work because my breast hurt.  I also occassionally have spasms in the left side as well.  

I really am starting to believe that the blood pressure med may be tied into this pain.  Many mention that you were on meds but not the name.  I have an appt with my OB/GYN this week to see what he says but I will be upset if he gives me another diagnosis of muscle spasms!  I want to know why this is happening.
The pain you have sounds like something both of my sisters experienced.  It went away when they eliminated caffeine.  One of them loves chocolate (which has caffeine).  She still eats chocolate occasionally, but knows she will probably have some pain as a result.  
I am so glad (and not glad at the same time) that I'm am not alone with this annoying problem. I am 26, do not have children, take karate 2-3x a week, very rarely ill, no current health problems, am not on any prescriptions, take pain medications at most 2x a week (preventative for swelling from karate) and I am about 80lb overweight (although I have recently lost 25lbs and am still going, I am taking no supplements to loose the weight). I have had this spasm almost directly under my right breast for about a year. It happens when I move and when I don't move, laying down or standing up. I have found nothing to cure it, I just have to let it run its course. It does not move, it stays in a 2 inch x 2 inch spot, every time. I can't breath or move. I thought maybe it was the constrictiveness of my bra, but it occurs with or without a bra on. Sometimes all it takes to trigger it is a deep breath. Hopefully some doctor or scientist will get off his/her butt and actually figure out what this problem is and the severity it has on the health of our bodies and lives. I am concerned it will have long term effects. I, for one, prefer not to live the rest of my life with this most annoying problem.
How amazing to find others with this same problem.  I am 63 yrs old.  These charley horses (only way to explain it) occur under my ribs (I can feel and SEE them) and move like they are alive sometimes.  Excrutiating pain for a few minuts.  In the car, I have to grab the roof and stretch like crazy while holding my breath (thankfully, I wasn't driving or I'd HAVE to pull off the road).  Happens also in church, wakes me up sometimes and happens sporadically for no reason.  

It happens more often if I am tired or lose sleep (I have problems sleeping).  It began when I started taking meds for high cholesterol, and I've been on several (even reduced mgs.).  Still  having them periodically.  I told my Dr. about it, and she looks at me as if I just got off the turnip truck!  It even happened during an examination in her office and she had to stop til the cramp (this one in my hip) subsided.  

I, like others have mentioned, find holding my breath and massage helps some.  I just have to wait til they pass.  Then, I am very careful how I move for a good while.  Slightest movement brings them back (even wakes me during sleep at night sometimes).  Those muscles are sore for days after these cramps.  Any help or suggestions are appreciated since Drs don't seem to have a clue what is going on.
Hello All,

I too have had this problem. However, I discovered that it may have been due to the amount of coffee I drank. Once I cut back on the black stuff the pain went away and became a distant memory...
I went to my OB/GYN and here is the diagnosis he gave me:  

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). It causes sharp pain in the costosternal joint — where your ribs and breastbone are joined by rubbery cartilage. Pain caused by costochondritis may mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions. Costochondritis is the most common cause of chest pain originating in the chest wall. It occurs most often in women and people over age 40. However, costochondritis can affect anyone, including infants and children.
Here is what he states the cause of it is:
 Infection. Infection can develop in the costosternal joint, causing pain. He states the infection can be caused by the same virus that causes the common cold.
 Fibromyalgia. Recurring costochondritis could be a symptom of fibromyalgia. People with fibromyalgia often have several tender spots. The upper part of the breastbone is a common tender spot.

He advised me to apply moist heat and take ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours.  Also states I can take muscle relaxants.
I had the same cramping that you folks are having, the pain got worse and I finally went in for an emergency appointment.  My regular doctor wasn't in, but I was very fortunate, another doctor took me who plans on furthering her career helping future doctors. Being up on the latest, she had lab test done.  I had a High Calcium level; she then had me do a PT or Parathyroid Test done and sure enough my PT was high.  This all signaled 98% of the time it means you have a tumor on one/two of your Parathyroid Glands (we have 4). I'm in the process of seeing an Endocrinologist.  After all of this attention to my levels, the pain was still there.  I have tried numerous pain meds. At present, Percocet 2 350 mg tabs every 6 hours.  This was causing side effects, Bad headaches in the morning, plus chills like the flu.  Otherwise I might have been able to stand it.  The pain was there, just lessened it.  Tonight, I tried a Banana and glass of Orange Juice like the Ultra Sound Radiologist told me Pregnant women use when experiencing leg cramps and no percocet tonight and just 2 tylenol and if helps a lot. If it is a Parathyroid needing to be removed.  I hear it it can be a wonderful thing once your levels of calcium are back to normal.  You may be able to get off your antidepressant because of the CNS or Central Nervous System Involvement (your brain), You may be able to get off your acid reflux med because Calcium is very corrosive.  Please see the online site Parathyroid.com  This is a very positive site and in most 98% of the cases the Parathyroid removed is benign.  So I hope I have been of some help.  For now, there is an electrolyte imbalance.  Because I have high calcium, the potassium from the banana and the orange juice is helping.  Also taking in Magnesium can help.  I also found a site that sells homemade rememdies that will help with the Electrolyte imbalance.  See the site  StopsLegCramps.com  It isn't that expensive and the cramps are gone within a minute.  I plan on getting a couple of bottles.  Gatorade has a lot of sugar, so that really isn't recommended.  So check that site out.  I will let you know what I find out.  I feel so sorry for you guys.  When the percocet didn't really help, I cried to think of the Cancer patience that take that knowing what we experience may be painful, but they have it even worse and perhaps nothing for their pain.  I hope that this post can be of help and encouragement to anyone I can help  :-)     Denise
i still dont know what this sort of pain is caused by but to me it happened twice. the first time it happened about 2 years ago. its a really disabling pain, both times happened around the ribcage. the second time it happened yesterday. i went to the gym (maybe strained myself, but it was a reg. workout for me), then the pain came in the evening. its so bad, i couldnt move at all, couldnt even breath properly. its a sharp pain like you're being stabbed. it kinda started in lower ribs and moved higher, the worst being under my right breast. i went to the doc today (or shall i say was taken bc i could hardly walk) and she said it could be muscle spasms, suggesting i buy muscles relaxation pills. which i did and they actually helped, the pain seems to be subsiding slowly.
i also have some colon issue IBS like symptoms, havent been diagnosed yet but after a few tests that came negative im thinking i have something like IBS. the pain seems to come at around the time when im going through some digestive issue like constipation. the pain might be related. but i dont know... would hate to have the pain again
  i read all the posts and i wanted to say that i am a man and i am having these same issues ,if i bend or turn wrong ,i will start to spasm right below my ribcage and a knot the size of a babies fist sometimes will move back and forth ,i am 6'3" and 350lb and i scream like a 2 yr old throwing a fit. Worse pain ive ever had , ive told friends that i think i know what labor pains must be like .
Hi everyone! I'm 28 and I've been experiencing this pain under both of my breasts for about five weeks. I still don't know if it starts with any particular position, but if I touch the area it's sore and stays like that for a while. I don't know if it's really a spasm...
I saw my doctor right away because my mom just recovered from breast cancer and any symptom really scares me. He found nothing (like lumps) but still sent me to a breast specialist, and I was expecting to get some answers, but it seems like we're all in the same boat and this is unknown. Please keep writing, this is so helpful!
I am also one of the amazed ones here.  I have been having this "charley horse" under the ribs for some time.  I just had one so finally decided to google it and found this site pretty quickly.  I can't believe that some medical professional has not taken this issue up and this thread has been going for over a year.  I am 39, 5', overweight, low blood pressure, get my potassium, take daily vitamins, pretty active person, only meds i take are premarin, and celexa, wear a wired bra (which I must say I have not always worn), get the paid randomly, sharp, stabbing, with a knot ball to it and very sore afterwards.  This is crazy!  I appreciate all the remedy suggestions but not to be ugly, but it just makes feel as confused as I was before.  Seriously, the bra issue makes the most sense for me.   I'll keep watching to see if anymore ideas come up... . .  Thanks for making me feel as though I am NOT crazy!
I too have had this pain for 9 years.  I know how long it's been because my son is 9 years old.  I never experienced this pain before having my son, however during the pregnancy I did develop Pre-eclampsia (High blood pressure).  After I had my son, my blood-pressure and everything else went back to normal.  I'm pretty healthy and not on any regular meds.  My doctor also told me it was a muscle spasm.  The muscle will start tensing up and even though you try to massage it to keep it from getting worse, it does not help.  You can actually see the knot forming through your clothing.  The underwire bra was an interesting thought, so I have to think more about that one.  I must say that this should be researched by the medical world, because it could make someone think that they are having a stroke and it can be very scary when it occurs.  My suggestion is when it occurs, attempt to stay as calm as possible.  Massage the area that is spasming and a warm cloth on the sore area afterward may be helpful.  I too would like to find the cause as well as a cure so that we all can have a little more peace of mind.

GOD Bless you all.
I've had this pain for a few years now *not sure how long exactly*. I have not went to the dr yet. Going soon though. I get it almost EVERYDAY! It's 6am now and I've been up for 24 hours lol and its probably happened at least 5 times. I am 23 not on HBP meds, over weight, had my first child 22 months ago. It can't be anything to do with the gallbladder, I just had it removed 2 1/2 weeks ago. I can barely shave my legs, use the bathroom, turn over in my bed, or drive. I know there's more I can't do also. Please let me know if any of you find out anything! God bless!
I too have suffered with this pain for two years or more. I was soo bad that it was constant all the way around my ribs and constant. I was finally diagnosed as hypothyroid and it has taken two nealry two years to get my meds correct. The crmaps are better tha they were however I still have them but now have pain up the back of my neck to the base of my skull and numbness and tinglung in my little fingers. My Dr. like most of yours has not clue. She has mentioned muscle relaxers which I may resort to but haven't yet. She also has sent me to PT. It seems to help somewhat if I get the correctperson doing the correct treatment. I fianlly got all of my upcoming appointments set up with the therapist who hashelped me the most. I have spoken with a registered massage therapist as well and will be seeing him soon. I am astonished to see the connection of so many who have ovary issues as I lost an ovary to a cyst many years ago. I have high blood pressure that my Dr. will likely begin treating with meds at my next appointment, my annual next month. I am also peri-menopause..oh joy! I do think this is directly stress related at least for me. In PT they can oin point a nerve under my right shoulder blade and nearly set my hair on fire. If the ytreat it properly I may go a few day without the tigjtness and cramps.
I also feel like my Doc thinks I'm either a littel crazy or a real whiner. But I know when I'm in pain and it seems to be most of the time. I will resort to the muscle relaxers soon if I don't get some real and lasting relief. I don't really want to take them, but I sure will give them a whirl. :)
Let's commit to helping each other throug hthis forum!
Blessing to you all,
Mrs G
I too suffer from these horrible charlie horse cramps just under my right breast along the rib and I do what I always do when i get a charlie horse in my calf.  I jump up immediately and stretch it out by lifting my arms and massaging the area.  That seems to work but it happens more often sometimes than others.  I don't work out and don't take very good care of myself. I have had three kids, I'm 30 years old, and I don't exercise at all(except for running around after 3 young kiddos).  I notice it happens more when I'm straining those muscles like during excersise or sex.  I have the same problem with my hip muscles.  My foot has gotten terrible lately with the charlie horses and I have to stretch it out and it keeps coming back and tensing up for several minutes at a time and it's excruciating.  I have lately had a really bad twitch in my left eye and that is so annoying.  I think they may all be related.  I have been diagnosed many years ago with fibromyalgia.  I have never had the pains in my rib muscles till after I had children but I'm not sure if that just weakened my muscles or if it is just the fibromyalgia getting worse.  The bottom line is, I have read a million and one things that it could be and ways to treat it but the only thing that works for me is stretching through it. I might try cutting back my caffiene and drinking more milk.  I have been drinking a lot more soda lately to save the milk for my daughter(never seem to have enough milk on hand) but I typically drink tons of milk.  They seem to be better when my diet consists of lots of calcium(from cheese and milk) & less caffiene(mostly cuz I get burnt out on dr. pepper. :)) but there really is no rhyme or reason to it from what I can tell.  I do feel like my fibromyalgia has gotten worse with age and i think it must be related to this.  I will keep reading your posts and want to thank all of you for all the information!
All I can say is, "Me too!"  I'm 57, female, diabetic, fibromyalgia and a slew of other dx's.  When I am driving and have to turn my head and neck and twist my body, to back up...that's when it hits me like a ton of bricks, right side mostly, just under my ribs!  Charley Horse is how I describe it too...also happens in my feet and toes...planning to speak to my Rheumy about it next visit.  What I have found to help is this...Whichever way you turned to make it "charley horse,"  immediately and slowly turn your body in the opposite direction and  stretch gently and stay for a few seconds, repeat as necessary until it subsides.  So far this is the only thing that has worked for me.  When I get some info from the doc, I'll come back and let you know!
It's nice to know that I am not crazy and that there are others with the charley horses from he!!  Hang in there and keep this thread going so we can help each other... ;)
I have been looking up information for about 3 hours now and stumbled on the site.  I mentioned it to my doctor about a year ago, and for the life of me cannot remember what he called it.  I explained that the pain I got was when I was sitting in the shower shaving my legs and depending on which way I twisted my body, I felt if I scrunched my abdomen to much, it felt like I an organ popped out between two ribs, under my right breast, and was being squeezed.  It would be so painful, if I moved the pain only intensified.  I would need to hold my breath, massage the area, and slowly lean back, as if to open my rib cage up so whatever it was that felt like it popped out, rib cage muscle, liver, ???, would subside and I would feel better.  After I could move and breathe, that area would be tender.  I have been searching and typing in so many descriptions, and it seems with everyones comments, I think I've found quite a few women with similar symptoms.  Has anyone every experienced this crazy description I just described, where it feels like an organ, a small, soft ball....something slipping out between your ribs and being squeezed.  
Wow, this is crazy ridiculous. I've been getting this on the right side for a few months now. The first time it happened I was leaning over to pick something up and I literally fell over onto the floor because of the pain.

I can feel the knot when it happens, and the spot looks slightly swollen even after the knot has subsided. My doctor also found no cause of the pain, and told me to apply heat and take tylenol or advil when it happens. Well, I was already doing that, thanks for taking my 80 dollars to tell me to do what I'm already doing.

I switched to wireless bras because of it knots up and I have a wire bra on, omg the extra pain.

I also noticed it happens more often when bending, leaning, turning, or twisting and it does happen in the middle of the night if I were to roll over and twist ... I too compared it to a leg cramp in my head when that happened.

My doctor did bloodwork and didn't mention any deficiencies, so I'm not sure what to think here, but I'd really like this to stop happening. I'd say it's happening once or twice a week no matter what I try to change or do to improve it.

I just turned 31 yrs old, I have four kids, and with the exception of my allergies and asthma I'm in pretty good health, even if I'm slightly overweight.
has anyone tried bengay and or icy hot and if so has it helped... I have been having these attacks for over a year now and they occur on one side at a time thankfully not both sides at once..please let me know asap.. no doctor has any idea what it is.. other than these charlie horse attacks i am completly healthy
I've been having this cramping spasm under my left rib cage for a couple of months. Just my guess it could be related to this nagging cough I've had for 4 months (and should go to the doctor). I'm extremely healthy and eat healthy. Just turned 59 and I'm an award winner triathlete and compete in dancing. I'm always doing something with one days rest. Stretching is very important to me and now that I'm on the "off season" my workouts aren't very intense. Just my guess maybe it could be caffeine. My son moved back home 2 months ago and occasionally I have a small cup of his coffee. I do drink too much diet soda which I'm trying hard to break. Maybe it could be stress related since I lost my job in Sept and my son & I are living on my unemployment. As someone up above says "Prayer heals"  I'm believing God will keep me healthy in tip top shape and I'm learning to relax.  Christine
I have been suffering from this since my last child was born 2 years ago.  It happens when I twist or bend certain ways.  I have often wondered if it was from wearing the wrong bras.  I have been wearing underwire for about 18 years now.  I have indents in my shoulders and the bras tend to dig in everywhere.

I have also had 4 shingles since 2001, I am 32 years old.  I drink about 4 big cups of coffee a week.

After reading the above diagnosis, I am going to make an appt with my OBGYN as well.  It's the Dr. I feel most comfortable with.

One other thing, when I was pregnant both time, both of my kids constantly kicked my ribs in that area, I wonder if that may have contributed as well.

Thanks guys for letting me now I am not alone!
I also experience the charley horse below the rib cage only when I bend over or twist in certain ways.  It began for me 13 yrs ago after birth of my daughter.  I know it's somehow related to pregnancy for me.  
It scared me at first.  But now I just take deep breaths.  
Glad to find this thread. I just felt this for the first time when I was on an airline flight. I am overweight, 47. When I tried to bend down in those tiny seats to reach the bag under the seat, I felt the pain under the right side. And there were spasms which scared me. It was definitely a Charley Horse type of feeling. It happened twice, then went away. I don't wear an underwire bra, so don't think that's the issue.
I have suffered with these cramps ( toe to chest) since 1990.
Not one doctor has an answer. My Vascular dr. recommended that I
drink a large glass off diet tonic water (for the quinine). I drank cases of it. Hot showers and microwave heat packs seem to help.
My son-in-law, age 39, has had these chest cramps and leg cramps for several years. They get so bad, he has to let my daughter drive and he
walks until they go away. He's in good shape , but these things just put us to the ground. I have seven drs. and all of them are stumped. One thing we have both noticed...when the weather fronts come in the
cramps start. One good thing...they're very good for my prayer life!
Good luck, everyone. I'll keep you in my prayers.
My cramps only started a few weeks ago.

Yes, I have medical problems such as severe hypothyroidism and hbp.

However, my cramps didn't start until after I bough a new bra. It was super cute, and rare for someone large breasts to find, it cut down very low in the front, with a thicker back band to supposedly offset the lack of frontal support. I was stoked and began wearing it immediately.

Ever since, I have had these cramps, in the front rib area, and in the back. It didn't occur to me it could be the bra until a few days ago. So instead of stopping the wearing of the bra, I have continued to wear it, despite the pain, to analyze how my muscles felt throughout the day. I have been taking muscle relaxants and pain pills from a car accident, but stopped taking them so I would know what I was really feeling without the medicines minimizing the severity.

I now believe, that the bra is the main culprit in many of our cases. I get my income tax refund next week and will be purchasing new bras that are more supportive. I'll update you as the experiment progresses!
I'm 33 years old and have had cramps in legs and feet for most of my life.  Doctors have always told me it was due to potassium deficiency, being deydrated, or part of growing up.  However, 4 years ago while I was pregnant, I started getting this horrible "stitch" on my right side.  My OB/GYN did an ultrasound, ruled out the liver being a problem and said that the pain would go away after childbirth.  He also said that the pain was likely from the weight of my uterus pulling down on the muscles.  Oh yeah, the only problem with this theory was that it felt like a pushing up and not a pulling down.  Nevertheless, I too thought that it would go away after childbirth.

It's been 4 years, and no relief.  Of course, I gained 40 pounds over the course of the last 4 years too.  I'm about 60 pounds overweight.  Recently, my doctor ordered a whole bunch of tests to rule out the liver, pancreas, and gallbladder.  All my tests have indicated that my organs are functioning well.  In fact, I'm very healthy; no high blood pressure, no thyroid disorders, no high cholesterol, and I'm not diabetic.  My only other issue is that I now have plantar fascitis in both feet (along with intense cramping) and this awful pain under my right breast.

Another person posted how her pain felt like an organ was popping out.  I too feel the same.  It can come on with me just reaching for something.  It pinches, I rub the area, and about 5 - 10 minutes later is subsides.  The whole area in general, however, feels sore.  I do experience some tingling and numbness.  I've lost 10 pounds in the last 3 months and have noticed that the cramping doesn't come on quite as often.  I wonder if all of this is weight related and there has been a tearing of a muscle or ligament?  If even a little weight loss helps, I wonder what 40 more pounds would do?  I'll keep everyone posted since I plan on losing more weight.
First, I'd like to thank the person who posted that she stretches in the opposite direction for relief.  In hindsight, it seems so obvious and it really helps.  I'm wondering if everyone else is short.  I am under 5 feet and it seems that the space between my ribs and hips is very small.  I am fortunate that I don't get this very often.  It hurts like crazy when I do.  It usually goes away pretty quickly, but once recently, it stuck around for a couple of days as a dull ache.
You may want to see a Neurologist and a Cardiologist. For women, heart issues show up so differently than with men. So dont ignore this.

I also had been experiencing these spasms and pain for years and has now graduated to unbearable chest pain similar to a heart attack and ended up in the hospital for five days. I had several abnormal EKG's and Stress tests, but an Angio of arteries was normal. These cardiac episodes were not major but exist and are painful.

Constant blood work showed I was low in calcium and sodium.  I am now taking supplements for the calcium as well as magnesium and potassium.  I am also taking nitroglycerin, muscle relaxers, and low mg Klonopin. It helps especially the nitro.  

Out of curiosity, do any of you also suffer from insomnia or snoring?

Will come back to let you know from time to time what I find out.
I forgot to mention I also take acid blockers.  As explained by doc, acid can irratate esophagus which can cause muscles to spasm in that entire region.  Sometimes, you dont feel the acid riszing up so this is something they have given me to see if it also helps.

The neurolist BTW also took me off caffiene too... said it affects muscles.
I'm a 50 year old caucasian female good health, no meds, boring health history. I recently found this web page regarding the pain under the breast...i.e. AM I HAVING A HEART ATTACK? I went to the doctor with sharp pain under and behind my left breast in the rib area. It was the kind of pain that really gets your attention. The pain was intermittent from severe to mildly annoying. EKG was normal, labs were normal and I didn't have any of the classic symptoms of a heart attack. I was sent home and right back where I started...not knowing what the pain is so close to my heart in my chest. All I new was, there was a pain signal firing off and the pain would become really intense under and behind the left breast wall. I am unable to palpate the exact spot because of the breast tissue. I've read about costochondritis and the rib and cartilage junction looks to be in the vicinity of my pain approximately the 4th-5th rib . Started taking Advil 400 mg every 6-8 hours, but still not much relief until a few days ago I began wrapping my rib cage. Like any injured soft tissue or joint trauma, immobilization is key to the healing process allowing the tissues to rest. I no longer take Advil as my pain relief is achieved purely through wrapping and immobilization of the rib cage. I sleep with the ribs wrapped and sometime during the night take the wrap off. Wrapping has brought me HUGE relief. Also added a heating pad. Give wrapping and a heating pad a try. I hope this helps and Thank You to everyone that has posted, you have all helped me greatly !
I am 42, 5'3", a little overweight, I take no meds, semi-active. I get the, what I call, 'rolling spasm' under my right breast. Its not really painful, but it is VERY uncomfortable, and very sore afterwards. I dont like to wear a bra and one of the first things I do when I get home from work is to take it off but I still get them, whether I have 1 on or not! It does help to strech out in the opposite direction and to GENTLY massage the area. I was getting them just every few months, but have now been getting them more frequently, a few times a day! If I look in the mirrow when its happening I can see the muscle'rolling' around so to speak!! I have been using the pain patches with the ben gay type medicine in them that you can buy over the counter, they do seem to eleviate some of the soreness but doesnt actually make the rolling stop!! My doctor thinks Im NUTS!!!! Not sure what/where to go from here!!
I'm 47 years old and have had these for years.
I had lost 60 pounds and they did not seem to happen as often.
I have gained back the weight, now have 3 a day sometimes.
In the early days of having these I would just need to stand up to get it to go away, but now most days i have to lay down on my side that's not hurting and rub the one that has the rock in it!
I have high blood pressure and drink lots of diet pop. :-(
I've had these before just from bending to get back in the car sit. I have had to pull over and stand outside the car and wait for it to go away. If I tried to rush it and get back in to soon the pain comes back full force again...
Very sad you can't do a lot of the normal things anymore in the fear you will get one of these, also I have had them on both sides at different times. Some times Left and others Right.  
I GET THE SAME PAINS AND AFTER 4 YEARS OF SUFFERING I FINALLY GOT THE ANSWER TO MY PROBLEM.....MY NEPHROLOGIST RAN SOME BLOOD TEST AND FOUND MY VITAMIN D LEVELS EXTREMELY LOW.......I HAVE VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY AND NOW TAKE A STRONG DOSE OF VITAMIN D ONCE A MONTH........
I have also suffered from this charlie horse-type cramps that occur just about anywhere (breasts, abdomen, feet, shoulders) and have just been diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency.  Now, the doc said it was for my bones, but he also wanted me on a statin for my cholesterol and I told him I started getting these when I was on Lipitor years ago and they haven't gone away.  I'm now on Pravastatin, which he claims will cause no cramping, and then he immediately put me on 2000 mg of Vitamin D daily.  I think there might be something to the deficiency theory.  Have any of you taken statins in your past?  Could that be when it started?  If so, does cholesterol level factor into the cramping?  Just wondering.
calcium robs from the magnessum.. Magnessum is to relax muscles .Your heart is the largest muscle so if you need magnessium your heart is also suffering..    there are other signs of needing this beside cramping, ..not being able to sleep,eye twitching, bleeding disorders (periods) hicups,headaches,moody..constipation,,,,, you dont need to have all ot them this is a few.. look up Peter Gilham   Calm  Magnessium it is wonderful.. also for back aches ... wishing everyone  relief of pain  . god Bless    
I have exactly the same painful spasms.  They started about 18 months after giving birth to my twins.  I was in a pilates class and suddenly couldn't get up from the mat because the pain was so sharp and severe.  I had no idea what was happening but felt embarrassed so I did not cry out but stayed on the floor until the pain passed.  It has been happening ever since and my twins are now nearly 4.  It feels like an organ has popped out from between my ribs and as other readers have said, if I massage it and try not to panic it seems to pop back in again.  I haven't seen a doctor but will probably mention it at my next visit.
has anyone ruled out hernia?  i ask because one doctor told me that's what i have, which is not good because the only 2 ways to get rid of it is to operate or lose weight.  i DO NOT want an operation and the very exercises i need to do i can't cause they cause the pain.  i am around 20-30 lbs overweight, so hernia coud be possible.  But...a different doctor told me that it is muscle spasms, which i find hard to believe.

but finding ths site is amazing to me because seeing so many women have the same symptoms as i do is relieving and frightening at the same time.

i would love to hear from anyone.  please respond.
I have found that mine is caused by my blood pressure medicine and it also happened a lot when I was pregnant.   I get a lot of leg cramps also.  I try to eat a banana everyday because mine seem to be caused by a dip in potassium.
Here's what you need to do: my left rib pain and spasms started after my second pregnancy, pain tightness difficulty breathing, and they got better after i did some yoga. but after y third pregnancy i got them again all the time constant pain, but here's what i found out:

I am a doctor of pharmacy so even though i work with drugs all the time i do not believe that they are the answer for everything!
i have seen a spine specialist, done a CT  scan bunch of x-rays but nothing  is showing up.
the spine specalist agreed that it is definetly a mechanical problem caused by injury such as pregnancy (big babies kicking on the rib bones) or others, he recommended Physical therapy and manipulation but he was going to charge my insurance so much to do the same job as a chiropractor and here's what i have been doing:

1- a chiropractor that uses a pressure gun to work on the bone part

2- a physical therapist that is a cranio sarco specialst that is working on strengthenning the muscle and the diaphragm so the ribs and the muscle will go back to function properly

3- i have been told to wait and not do yoga with the both treatment because it would be to much for the body

so far i can start seeing the light, i know something is getting better but i cannot explain it, and since i am in the world of pharmacology and medicine it is hard to understand how can something work with no explanation, but it has. most insurances cover at least 25 visits for chiropractry and 25 visits for physical therapy. you should look into it.

but when i feel stronger i forget about my condition and i go about lifting my kids and playing wuth them and it can set me back big time!! so be areful allow the body to heal!
i hope i have been helpful with the information! and good luck!
I'm adding myself to this list.  After a week of this I've decided to call a health specialist for an appointment.  I'm 35 in good health.  My charley horse spasm feels like something is moving under my right breast, though no painful or very little pain if I'm down or bent over.  I'm experiencing a bit of scoliosis though I haven't been diagnosed, just sensing it.  Like one side of my back is straighter than the other.  I wonder if vacuuming with the hose bent down all the time have lead me to having this? I haven't seen a doctor for a physical for 2 years.  I feel like my right leg is shorter than my left.  As for blood pressure or medication or supplements.  I don't take any.  My eating habit is pretty good, though I should include calcium since I don't drink milk.  After this coming appointment, and seeing that neither of you folks found any concrete answers from your docs, I'm just going to try all you've suggested and see.  Even with insurance health care cost is still not affordable.  It seems that the more you go to see them, the more they want to see you, but we all know why...money!  
Glad to find this, also get charley horse in the rib cage, one side at a time, comes from ??? I dont knows. Right now , both ribs are staying like , a tight rubber band  tied around my ribs, this only as I sit, helps to stand or lay down, this  has been going on  for three weeks.  Sometimes the bones of the ribs, hurts to touch.  Its nice to know, am not going out of .my mind.
I am a man my nipples are erect at different times. And at times I get shivers followed by rapid contractions of my pelvic muscles. Then a sudden release of these muscles. Although the sensation is not I would say unpleasant.I have tried to get answers in male forums but nothing concrete.In the form of a proper answer. Is this normal. Also a half a minute later it will do it again. Please don't laugh at me. This is serious.
My Mother says I was born special but they had to change me.But she never told me why. And my father refuses to talk about.
The hospital records are old but say my release was delayed due a special procedure. There is old scars under my arm pits. and a scar in my genital area that matches the scar in my pits
I have the same cramping during abdominal exercise or anything that strains the muscle.   A knot of muscle comes out to the surface.  This started after my daughter was born and it is in the exact spot where whe used to push her foot into me.  I am certain the muscle was weakened and now is the problem area.  I have always been in good shape, and now I cant exercise my abs hardly at all!  I want this solved!
There is a muscle called the Serratus Anterior that starts in your ribs under your breast and attaches underneath your scapula. This often causes the symptoms you describe. I am a massage therapist and have had a lot of success in treating similar symptoms thru bodywork.
I am only 18 and have this same problem. I am glad to have found this forum as I though I was the only one with this problem. I experience the charley horse type of muscle spasm under my right breast. It is extremely painful and takes my breath away for 15-20 seconds. I find that the only thing I can do is try to relax and let it go away on its own. It occurs at random times mostly when I am lying in bed. I hope that a solution is found as this is very uncomfortable.
I thought the first time I was having a heart attack. It is def scary!!!!!!...and my body's reaction is to stretch it out the completely opposite directions. (mainly by arching my back to the right ) giving "it" room to flutter. It makes my anxiety kick in and I hold my breath until it goes then start yo exhale slowly. I had a EKG and nothing..I know my cholesterol was a  little high last year..and I am very over weight. however it is also coincidental that I have never experienced this until after my 3rd baby was born ( he is now 19 months)..so maybe it is from cholesterol...maybe it is from being overweight...or maybe its from the baby kicking my ribs (although I don't remember feeling that)....I get so scared sometimes. I recently started feeling it again. It went away for quite sometime....(I also notice I sometimes forget to breath)....the realllly scary part is out of all the "maybe's " I listed...we will never know cause 99% of all the doctors you all said you went to ...none of them know what it is...can anyone suggest besides stretching it out while its happening....what else we can do to make it subside??? help me please..I get so nervous.
I'm in tears reading everyone's replies on here because I too have had these 'charlie horses' under breast/lower rib cage going on 4 years now (almost every day or night) and trying to explain this to my doctor has only made me feel like i'm going out of my mind.
Out of these past few years, this past week has probably been the worst. I have been fighting cellulitis in my lower abdominal area and these 'cramps' in my ribcage have hurt so incredibly bad this past week in particular.
I'm constantly sore on my right side and then get these incredibly painful
charlie horses under my right breast lower rib cage area. I also get this bursting sensation that is also very painful but thankfully only last a few seconds at a time.
At night I will get these cramps on either side of my rib cage and I'm paralyzed with pain until the cramp subsides.

For the past 4 years now my health has taken a nose dive and I have been having many problems with cellulitis and lung infections such a pnemonia (pneumonia).
These cramps started around the same time as these other conditions but in the past 4 years, I have found no explanation for it and there have been many times that doctors have told me that perhaps it's 'all in my head'........

I know it's not something I am imagining and finding this message board and seeing others with the exact same 'charlie horse' symptoms gives me a little hope that I'm not going crazy and that these are not 'fantom' pains.
There is no rhyme or reason behind these cramps, I have had them sitting in a chair, laying down in bed, bending over and even during exercise. It don't matter what I have eaten that day or not eaten...there's just no connection...as of yet.
What ever is going on, hopefully we will ALL be able to find a remedy for this problem (if we don't lose our sanity before hand)
i get these pains undernieth my rib underneith my breast at times like every body exsplains its horriffying pain with no exsplination, HAh but i have the answer Ur Muscles are jammmed! go to the Masage Theripist , i have rib problems after having my son and bam all these spasms started Gooo they will fix it
Wow.  I should have found this community earlier.  I was recently diagnosed with adult onset asthma and I don't know if it is related, but I too had the horrible ball/charlie horse feeling under my left rib but close to the middle. It felt exactly like I imagine a heart attack feels. I too am overweight. I am 5 ft 7 inches and wear a 14 comfortably, but I should weigh 30 lbs less at least. I weigh 190.  I too have thought that it was due to underwire bra, but alas, I have switched to non underwire and still have the "charlie horse".  I am 47. I started having the "initial feeling" but not the actual horrible heart attack feeling about 5 years after my son was born. He was a 10 lb baby. My organs feel very cramped.  I had the first "charlie horse heart attack under the left rib"  when I got in my car about a year ago leaving the office. I think reaching back to put on my seat belt triggered it.  I instinctively somehow remained calm and sat very still. I really felt that if I had panicked more I would have gone into a heart attack.  I thought it might have been related to the asthma inhaler???? I had just recently started using it as I was just diagnosed with adult onset ashtma.   However for several years I have had a related symptom that would occur when I would do toe touches. It would feel like a big softball was squishing between two organs and it would take my breat away and felt kind of heart attack like too.  Hard to explain.  It made me stop doing toe touches!  I have now had the charlie horse when at bank drive thru and twisting to hand over deposit bag t teller. I have had it during yoga class when doing extreme twists on that side or when attempting the "head to the floor pose" while standing with hands on hips and bending deep at waist with legs stretched wide apart.  It is the most horrible panicky feeling I have ever had ..   I had it yesterday at yoga. I even had to stop the pose and explain that I had had a charlie horse.  I seriously think that it is related to weight gain/overweight.  I am going to make sure that I lose weight. I do not have insurance and I cannot afford the tests that I need as we live check to check. I believe that if I lose the weight the feeling will not happen to me any more.  It seems too much fat in belly area is crowding organs. I do think there could be something to the coffee theory, too. I have an afternoon coffee a lot and seem to have more episode on these days.  I will pray for us all.  God Bless. Hamaste or Namaste or whatever they say after yoga class, too : )
I have these spasms too.  Mine occur when I bend certain ways and sometimes when I am just sitting and leaning slightly forward.  Occasionally, a mild attack will occur when I am driving, and that really frightens me.  There are certain simple activities that I cannot do because those activities cause the spasms to happen.  With some simple movements, I have to be very careful to prevent an attack.  My attacks have always been fairly short-lived, and usually sitting up straight (maybe leaning back a little) or standing alleviates the spasms, but then I will have pain like a bruise for several days after an attack.  Every night, I sleep with a heating pad, which I think helps.  

I have had all kinds of tests (abdominal ultrasound, upper and lower endoscopies, blood tests, CT scans) and nothing has been found except a hiatal hernia.  I think the hernia is at least part of the problem, but my doctors don't think so.  I am also overweight and am on blood pressure medicine, but these spasms started for me over fifteen years ago when I was still fairly thin and when my BP was not high enough to be on medication.  Other abdominal problems preceded these attacks and coincided with a raise in my BP when I was about thirty years old and was thin.  I really think that whatever caused the abdominal problems and the abdominal spasms is what led to my high blood pressure.

The spasms started after I had my first and only child when I was 36 years old.  Now, I am 53.  I think pregnancy somehow contributed to these spasms.  During my pregnancy, I developed pregnancy induced hypertension when I was only 30 weeks along, and my son was delivered ten weeks early.  Two years after my pregnancy, I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my superior mesenteric vein (in the abdomen), and I can't help but think it is all related.  The blood clot went undiagnosed for over six months as I went back and forth to the doctor and kept being told I had irritable bowel syndrome.  I knew it wasn't irritable bowel syndrome.  After the clot was discovered, one doctor told me that I may have had the blood clot for a lot longer than six months and that it could have even been congenital, which would have explained a lot of problems I'd had since I was a child.  I have found websites that link abdominal blood clots and pregnancy induced hypertension, but none of my doctors have ever made a connection.  When the clot was diagnosed, the vein was completely occluded, and I think maybe it caused some permanent damage.  

Like some of the other people who have posted here, sometimes I only get spasms with little or no pain.  Other times, it hurts terribly.  I am afraid that something is going to burst inside of me.  The last time I saw my doctor (about a month ago), she suggested that maybe it was histamines in the abdomen that can cause pain for some people and she put me on an antihistamine called Hydroxyzine HCL.  It makes me very sleepy, but seemed to be working until today when I had a painful spasm at work.  So, for the umpteenth time, I got out on the Internet to see if I could find someone who had my problems and had gotten a proper diagnosis.  

This forum is the closest I have ever come to finding an answer, and as anyone can see who is reading this forum, there are no answers, but there are lots of people who are having this problem who aren't getting any help.  I am crying right now because I am so sick of this and sick of doctors who don't know anything and never seem to have heard of anyone having this problem.  Yet, here we all are, and if there are this many of us who have found this community, just think of all those like us who haven't found it.

When I had looked for answers before, I really didn't know what to put in the search engine and kept calling my attacks "spasms" but today it occurred to me to call them cramps because it does remind of of a charlie horse.  However, when I get a charlie horse, the muscle remains taut for a few days.  I'll touch my calf where the charlie horse occurred and it will feel like a rock.  I don't feel any muscle tautness in my abdomen after one of these abdominal spasms, although I do feel the bruised sensation that I mentioned.

It is good to know for the sake of my sanity that I am not the only one who has had these spasms.  I was beginning to think that I was all alone.  But I don't find much comfort in the fact that it remains an undiagnosed condition and that doctors don't seem to have any answers for this and that most doctors seem oblivious to it.
Wow, I really can't believe NO doctor knows how to stop this... ?? My mother just got one while sweeping and says the pain started under her right breast, and it felt like she couldn't breathe... Is there ANYTHING you can take/do? She is on high blood pressure medication, and she is taking potassium suplements... Very scary, what to do?
Me too! No high BP or meds [read up on side effects of BP medication.
However, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diatetes 2 years ago. It's hell! Affects every organ in your body. Take 500 mg. of Metformin. Mild case.
BUT, it took 4 years to diagnose. Means, I have peripheral neuropathy, etc.
Last summer I was taken to the hospital with Heatstroke. Before that I had HORRIBLE charlie horse spasms, all over, including my rib-to-back spasms. At the hospital, I HAD ZERO POTASSIUM and very little sodium in my blood. Critical Condition!... Heat here in LA was over 100 + hi humidity. I sweated out totally. Not much peeing either.
Now, I have to force myself to hydrate all day. But I lived;  it was close.
See if you can get an electrolyte panel done. Ask about side-effects of your meds. Lots of BP meds mentioned in THIS forum.
LOW SALT, LOW SUGAR.
Soap bar in bed,  pressing upper lip work sometimes.
Any additional info will be appreciated.
Mefh
I too have experienced these painful spasms.  I have a Naturopathic Physician who ran some test and found out that I was very low in Magnesium.   Have you Doctor run a test for Magnesium, it is not included in a Complete Metabolic Panel test.  Good Luck to all of you
I have not had this spasm in a while but today I experienced and for no rhyme or reason. I did not twist my body nor laugh nor do anything extra ordinary. The excruciating pain was once in the rib area below my left breast and then another attack on the right side. I had to inhale deeply and release my breath slowly to get rid of the spasm. Luckily the spasms did not last more than a minute, but boy was it painful!
I am a healthy 47-year-old with no blood pressure problems, no diabetes and by the grace of God no disease. I don't drink alcohol nor smoke nor drink caffeinated drinks. My only caffeine beverage is 2 cups of tea a day (one in the morning and one in the afternoon). I am a bit overweight for my height and weight and have started on a balanced diet effective today. I don't know what is causing these spasms and I was surprised to note so many others like me are suffering out there. I hope someone finds a solution and soon.
Add another one to the club....I thought it was because I am top heavy, by nature not bought, and gravity was causing this.  I also have High blood pressure.....
I to have had this problem for a few years. I am 45 years old and 5'9" . When I was pregnant with my first child her foot was wedged in between 2 ribs causing severe pain. (pressure) in my ribs. At first this is what the pain was very similar to. I went to my doctor fearing that it may possibly be stomach cancer as my brother in law just went through this. The ultrasound came back fine and the pain slowly subsided for a time. I went fishing last week and while casting it feels like I pulled something there yet again. The pain is so bad and has only gotten worse over the past week. It goes around to my back at the same height as well. Just below the right breast in the rib cage. I can push my hand there on my rib and feel a ball in there moving around. Im hoping its just a pulled muscle but am going back to the doctor again tomorrow to see what he has to say.
Thank you, thank you!  My doc looked at me as if I was nuts when I mentioned this.  When you mentioned the rolling ball, the snake, and oh my gosh how you can see it moving etc.  I am thankful I'm not alone, although a cure would be nice.  I am not overweight but I do have high calcium and a vitamin D deficiency for which I do take supplements.  It's just very interesting how many of us have this problem and no doctor can pinpoint the problem.  The first time it happened I thought my body was being taken over by alien beings or something.  The worst part too is not knowing when these will happen and you've all hit it on the head when you describe them as excrutiating and debilitating.  They hurt like hell.  Had one two days ago and my chest is still sore.  I've been drinking alot of water and trying to add more electrolytes but they still happen even as of today.  Good luck to us all and maybe one day we will find out.
This was posted before but the forum is so long it's worth repeating.

Someone else posted this and it helps for me.  It's so obvious now, but I didn't think of it.

Stretch in the opposite direction of the cramp.  For me that's raising my right arm above my head and stretching it back arching over my head.

I'm so glad I'm not alone -- makes it not so scary.
i have been having this pain for 2 years now.. at first they started in my legs, then when i sing in the chior it feels like something is taking over my body. I have to stop in the middle of my song and stop singing. It's sad cause i love to sing! i to have high blood preasure, i thought it was from being over weight but my Dr can't tell me what it is?? he said to put heat on it and take a pill.. well it happenes everyday and sometimes i am in a place where there is no place to get a heating pad. I was wondering if maybe i drink to much pepsi or coffee if that could be causing it? I could really use some help if anyone knows ..thanks so much
Christine~
i to have had this pain under the right breast. iam glad iam not crazy.sorry to fined so many with the some thing.
i started thinking it was cuz i drive truck. and maybe a different life,and job, was the calse of this.
iam 43 and not on meds i pray every time it happens. i realy dont like sitting in restrooms thinking if i wipe will i die.lol sorry to say thats how it makes me feel.
i hope some one goes to the docs. and fines out that we all are not crazy.
wow, I guess I am relieved I am not the only one. I have had these for YEARS and just like all of you, they mostly occur when I just twist slightly or reach down for something and they ESP. happen in the car! The only relief I get is to press very hard on the spasming area and do lamaze type breathing. I know for sure that mine are worse when I am slightly dehydrated, such as after exercising or after a long day on the very hot softball fields when we are watching our girl play. I am going to try the calcium tabs someone recommended!
Am up late having these rolling aching cramps the past couple hours again. They have been going on and off for the past couple of days. I read everyone's post as I occasionally get these over the past couple years: if I think back each time lately I find i can pinpoint that 2 things usually happen before i get them: 1) I am prone to bronchitis and if i have a bad cold and cough a lot, i get them  2) I am a teacher and if i have my teacher little 'rolling cart' heavily loaded with books or other heavy things and hoist it up to get it in my car i get them. These episodes last for days. Laying awake at 1 am this morning for the 5 th day i realize that last week i lifted my cart full of books. This time it is the worst - have been up hours. i drink plenty of fluids, no caffeine, eat fairly healthy usually, am 5'5" 133 lbs and altho i don't exercise i am very active with my job, etc. i take no meds. i believe that it is related to my middle age and lack of muscular fitness personally (As evidence, this summer i was doing a lot of yard work and while i didn't get the rolling sensation i ached so badly which i never did when younger.) So, after reading these posts i am going to see if i can get a Physical Therapist to get my muscles in shape as some people have suggested here. In the meantime, Bengay helps a tiny bit, but what helps the most is i have a left over Ibuprofen prescription strength from something else) that gets rid of the pain completely after about 45 min. I am up at 3 am right now and tried regular Bayer Aspirin (2) at 1 am for the pain and it didn't get rid of it - but took the edge off. I am sitting here aching and so grateful for the people who have posted here. Also, about the underwire bra: i too thought it was the bra at one point, but have not been wearing it for a couple days and still am having the pain. i think the bra may just press on the area or aggravate it or may it more noticeable. But, i do think that not wearing it helps a little as the rolling muscle sensation is a little less. Stretching exercise and heating pad only help a little.
I am a 25 yr old over weight female. I get these cramps everywhere feet,under breast on top of my feet on the front of my legs. I have noticed it being worse when I dont drink a lot of water or drink alcohol. I also take  blood pressure medicines. I always cramp up more often when I dont take my iorn and calcium pills for a few days.
I  too have a muscle spasm under the bottom right rib. It goes into a knot at the slightest movement and I have to stand straight or lie down and manipulate it back. The area is then tender and tingles for a couple of days, the pain also radiates at the same level into my back.

I don't have high BP, I do think on reflection though that it has been happening since the birth of my last child 10 years ago, and I had pain in this area during the pregnancy. I used to have to raise my right arm to relive the pain.

I have had my gall bladder removed, so thought it was scar tissue, then when the spasm started I thought it was a hernia, but I have had a scan and it is not a hernia either.

The doctors do look at you like you are imagining it because they can't palapate it like a hernia. I even had one Dr asking me to get my musle to pop out so he could feel it!! unfortunately it does not happen on demand!

I am going back this week to the doctors, so I discover anything I will add a further post.
I recently started this condition as you have all stated, a tightening around the ribcage, so far mine only goes under breasts and around to armpit region but still on rib line. Just another idea I have been researching is my Symbicort inhaler I take for COPD. Symbicort  (or possibly any other inhaler) known for muscle spasms. Just another avenue to explore. I am glad I found this site and now am going to try a heating pad to see if it will help or not. God bless everyone and if we keep searching maybe we will find 2 doctors that can agree on what is causing this horrible event to occur.  
I am 60 years old.  I too have these awful spasms just under the rib cage in the front, sometimes on both sides.  This seems to be set off by leaning forward and reaching for something.  I can feel the muscle move around and then it tightens up so tight I can hardly breathe.  It feels just like a charlie horse.  I found that lying flat on my back and stretching out seems to alleviate the spams.  This is difficult to do when you are in public and many times I have had to just lean back in a chair or standing to stretch it out.  I had several spasms in a row yesterday as a matter of fact.  Just as one would go another would follow.  This went on for about 10 minutes, but felt like hours due to the pain.  Next time I see my doctor I will be sure to ask him his opinion.  I, too, am on blood pressure medication.  May be depletion of potassium is an issue.  Hang in there all.   Sooner or later we will find a solution.
Hi, I have looked this symptom up so many times!! i had to have colon surgery about 1 1/2 years ago, my surgeon knew of my severe under rib pain, tightening, you can't move, even reaching for something can trigger one, he said while inside he saw i had some of the tightest adhesions he has ever seen and "cut them loose" he said thy snapped like a rubber band.... thank god!!! someone found something!!! great news, almost instant relief!! bad news, after a few months and a recheck on my surgery, i told him i can start to feel them again, he said oh yes, they will grow back. bummer!! i asked him to fix it for good!! he said it would mean going back in over and over and cutting them..... which causes more of them to form!! look it up, one doctor in Germany has come up with a permeant cure, he using a mesh and wraps the area like new tissue.  I don' have the $ or means to go to Germany for an operation  :(
I have had these pains for some time now-if I move suddenly,whether reaching or just stretching and now i have a constant sensation under my left breast,feels like a fist rolling back and forth.I am not hypertensive- I tak e meds for Depression and Gerds.I know I need to see my Dr.this may be serious.I am 56.the pain is so great at times ,it makes me nauseaous .someone help!

I read about these symptoms and I can relate to the "charley horse" type pain in the rib cage area. Mine is mainly on the right side front and seems to worsen when I twist or bend. The one thing that I notice is that the forum sems to be mostly women. I am a male of age 53 and I take meds for blood pressure and cholestoral. I have an appontment with a gastroenterologist this week. We'll see what he has to say.
I have the same pain as you all, under the right rib cage, I do not even know how long it has been going on.  I have been to the GI dr. had several test and they cannot find anything wrong.  My family Dr. looks at me like I am stupid and he said if I still have concerns, go back to the GI Dr. and have more test.  I am not rich and my deductable is $850 next year.  But I also take blood pressure medication.
I have had the same muscle spams in my ribs to the point that I actually think it broke a rib once. My Dr did blood work and found I was very low on VIt D. and had me take 20,000 IU once a week for eight weeks and then 1000IU daily, I am supposed to have blood work rechecked this month. I have also added 400 mg magnesium daily.I guess I should also say I take a number of BP meds and diuretics. I take prescription levels of Potassium.
Since adding the Vit D and magnesium daily I think there has been a reduction of the cramps, which can be brought on from a sneeze or cough or bending over, Or for no reason at all. Maybe Vit D might be something to give some relief,
I noticed as I was reading, that most of you listed,

High/Low Blood preasure,

Stretching,

Or low levels of an important suplement missing from your Diet, and I have to ask,

Could you name the medicine you use for your blood preasure?

I am curious if it is the smae medicine causing it or not,

I also have another possibility for you all,

It is called Fibromyalgia, And has a good amount of the same symptoms.

Please take a look!

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Fibromyalgia
I also suffer from this.. one thing that my not be the same is that when it hits me, I  have the pain for two or three days, each time I move. (left arm,  It will not hurt if I lay down and be still.,
Also I get a feeling of having a steel plate under the ribs, and a numbing feeling. I never have felt a "round knot" also its like a Charlie Horse that doesn't go away in a few minuets but, mine last for 2-3 days.. a week to fully get over all if it.
This has hit me twice after I cracked 3 ribs a few months back and jarred my rib cage.
It seem's to come on doing the most simple task, last week, it was rolling over in bed,  that happened to me on Wednesday, and by Monday I was sore, but getting over that one.. Monday night. I got hit again. this time really nasty.. by this reaching into the car to turn off the inside lights.
more to the point the paid last for days, before I just have the soreness left.

I take Potassium, Vit E ,Vit A, Vit D, evening Primrose oil, and ester-c, calcium,.zyrtec and a water pill daily.  (i just stated DHA) long time user of Corticosteroids to treat my asthma and my skin condition.Prednisone summer I have to take 20 mg and winter I am on 10 mg per day.
I have a
I am asthmatic so I am also on a nib, and taking 3 types of meds for the asthma. Corticosteroids

Ok so what the heck is this?
I'm 62 and have suffered from this pain off and on for around 6 years.  I mentioned it to my dr. and he said it felt soft in that area.  It sure doesn't feel that way during a cramp.  He didn't seem concerned.  The pain is excruciating and I'm thankful it only last a few seconds or I would have to go to the emergency room.  My pain occurs on both the left and the right sides in the rib cage area. I just feel like rubbing it until the pain goes away.  It can happen anytime I move, twist, turn or bend over.  I believe when I eat bananas and take magnesium on a regular bases, it doesn't happen as frequently.  At one time I had a high level of Calcium so I went off my Calcium supplements and the levels returned to a normal reading.  I would like to find a cure for this and I'm working on trying different things to see what works.  I'm looking forward to reading more on this issue.  Something needs to be done.  Good luck everyone!
I have spasms starting on the right side rib just under breast then radiates under left same rib under breast. When I get these spasms there is a painful swelling on the left side just off of my sternum under bottom rib. I have been seeing a physical therapist and a massage therapist who specializes in viseral manipulation. She cradled my liver to release the myofacial layers and to help release the tension at the liver tendons that attach to the interior portion of the ribcage. The liver attaches at 2 areas in the front on the back side of the ribs under the breast area. It (liver) also crosses at the stomach(mesenteric vein runs between the liver and stomach) below ribs/left near the sternum. There is another area the liver attaches on the right side just as it starts to curve to the back. That area is tender all the time for me. When the liver is shocky it sits under the diaphram which pumps the ribcage. The heart sits on top of the diaphram and when I have a spasm it does feel like a heart attack with higher pulse rate....When I have the spasms that I can only describe as 'Charlie Horses' typically 3-4 hours mainly at night and I have nausea that comes with the spasms. The viseral manipulation and myofacial massage on my thorastic area is helping, but it is going to take some time. I am going to take the advise of drinking more water and Cal/Mag/D3. I have had these spasms for 2 years/weekly and have seen General Phycians, Ortho, Physiatrists with no answers. The Physiatrist sent me to a very knowledgeable group of bodyworkers. If you can find someone who is knowledgeable go. Hope this helps.
my doctor told me women who are between the ages of 45-55 who are pre-menopause are proned to having muscle spasms in the chest and are also proned to anxiety attackes like your heart in going to jump out of your chest
Thank you for your comments. I been having these for over 2 years. I'm going to try some of the things you have recommined. At least now I have some hope that maybe with help,I may not always have them. Thank you all for writing. May God bless you.
I have been having severe muscle cramping/spasms under both sides of my chest for the last year.  I also get cramps in the top of my stomach just under my rib cage and in my back if I twist around to look behind me.  This all started about four years ago with an initial bout of sciatica which left me bedridden for weeks.  I've had about one bout of sciatica per year since that leaves me unable to even walk without assistance for weeks at a time.

In the last two years the muscle cramping has been in my back, legs, feet, hands, jaw, and under both breasts - alternating left to right.

Last year when I had my first spasm beneath my left breast my husband rushed me to the ER fearing I was having a heart attack - it was terribly painful and crazy scary!

My physician ran every test he could think of and eventually diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia.  He seems pretty confident that it is what's wrong with me and wrote me a prescription for muscle relaxers.  I am not sure about the Fibromyalgia but the muscle relaxers were working so long as I took them 3 x's per day and didn't forget.  Lately I have been getting the spasms again even while taking the muscle relaxers so I am going back in to see what comes next.  I foresee him giving me pain medication at this point to take with the muscle relaxers.  

I have three kids I need to take care of so I don't look forward to starting strong pain medications which can be addictive - but I cannot live with this pain - it is horrible.
its not a hernia i have  had  3  of them  repaired   believe me this  pain is  10 times worse  then a  hernia i have   been getting them for  the last 6 years  and  even switch  family dr cause frist one  couldn't help  this one is  the  same i think  she  thinks  iam crazy i still have  no answers for what is going on but get these pains on  the right and  left side of my rib Gage  and  my hips , feet and  now  my hands  will cramp up too  i hope  some one  finds  out what this  is soon  for all of us
Well ladies I have had this problem for a few years now, the under the right breast rolling cramp.  This happens when I bend over to tie my shoe or pick up something. Let me just say that I'm not sure if it's my breast size or what, but it hurts and I too have to rub it out. Now as of less than a year I've been getting rolling cramps in lower right side of my stomach whenever I'm stretching and somethimes my legs if I don't have my feet upward. I do know that my blood pressure is normal though. Reading all the comments gives me an insight of perhaps I may need more potassium and drink more water. Wow this is amazing that so many women have this very same problem. I am 52.  I wish you all the best this annoying pain we all share.  God bless
I don't believe this condition descriminates according to gender - male, 41, relatively good health, (I do smoke and love coffee, which I have not ruled out might be a contributing factor) bp normal, cholest norm, no meds, no birthing of children, no bras, no breasts to speak of ;). I have been battling this 'condition' for over 10 yrs now. Get them on both sides of lower rib cage, not usually at same time, varying from twinges to Omg calgon take me away! I am all too familiar with the weird body posture stretches and the deep breath while trying to rub it out scenarios spoken of by many previous posters. I will say that at least in my experience, they do feel like muscle spasms and end up leaving me sore for days or weeks depending on frequency and intensity. I have also not ruled out a possible vitamin deficiency, I have typically taken a 'one-a-day' type vitamin supplement which would not necessarily help in the case of a severe deficiency... Stocky build, 5'8", aprox 200lbs, most charts put me around 165, but I would have to start donating bone to get there =/   Have been physically active most of my life, sports, work and hobbies, but still suffered from these "stitches/spasms". I've had 1 cramp / spasm in all that time that wasn't under my rib cage - I would think a nutrient deficiency would have a broader impact and not be so localized. Just wanted to offer my story from a male perspective; think I saw one other post from a man. Either this is more prevelant in females, or most males are just reluctant to step forward. Here's wishing all of us the best of luck with this and God Bless.
Well, since my last visit I've been to a new DR.  She ran all kinds of tests looking for vitamin deficiencies.  She took away the muscle relaxers and referred me on to a rhumatologist who straight away ruled out the fibromyalgia.  All of my blood work was back at that visit and was in the "System" for her to see ... Vitamin D deficiency (normal between 30-70, mine under 10) - my calcium was a bit low but she suspects me to be deficient and my body is leeching what calcium it has from my bones.  She suspects that there may be something wrong with my parathyroid, because I eat well and take supplements... anyhow, they took lots more blood and she referred me on to an endocrinologist.  She prescribed 50000 IU vitamin D once a week for 16 weeks, 1200+ mg of calcium per day, plus she prescribed Soma to help control the muscle cramps until my calcium levels rise enough to stop the spasms.  It's just been a little over a week but I am having fewer and fewer cramps.  Will check in again when I get some new info  - but hopefully this will help another with similar symptoms find what is wrong with them.
Hello all i am so glad to see i am not alone here, i am a 24 year old female who is pretty healthy, i had my son 3 years ago and also had pre-eclempsia so he was delivered at 30 weeks by c-section. I get this horrible cramp under the right side of my rib cage and i usually notice it after doing something strenuous like pull ups, but sometimes even bending over to shave my legs will cause it. It feels like a muscle is flipping around in my chest, as tho its turning over to the opposite side and i massage it lightly to get it to flip back to normal. It is very painful and the first time it happened to me i thought it was a heart attack as well. I also have many symptoms on hyperthyroidism but my Dr couldn't seem to find any problems with me. I do have scoliosis as well.. I have very low blood pressure and do not take any meds, so im not sure what this is but i hope we find out soon!
Ill keeep you all in my prayers!
thank god someone else has this: I am so sick of my doctors all thinking it has something to do with my digestive system just because I had my gallbladder out a while ago: hello, I've been complaining about this for 25 years...it first started when I was doing situps: it feels like my intestine is rolling up under my rib cage and I have to immediately lay down and push. I can feel a release in a minute or two and then the area is sore for a while.  but now it happens just when I bend over or get into a car and have to support my weight and it takes longer for the release and the residual pain doesn't subside anymore. so far I've had an ultra sound but they didn't see anything. blood work not back yet: ct scan scheduled...but I still consider this muscular...they want to do a colonoscopy but I'd like to pass on that one...what test should I take to see muscles and tendons?
hey everyone,

im baffled by all of this too! im 18 yrs old and in the last year ive had this twice, not so much a spasm, although for the last 3 days ive had a constant, non painful spasm behind my left rib cage thats driving me insane. but i was going to the bathroom one day and all of a sudden i had to lay on the floor and i couldnt bring my self to stand up by self let alone sit up on the floor. my bf put me on the bed and i laid still and straight like a pencil for 5 mins and the pain subsided. but i thought i was having a heart attack, i couldnt barely breath!
the second time was bout 3 months ago. sometimes i get small cramps in my left rib cage at work and it prevents me from lifting or standing straight up. im 5'3, 120 lbs, no health issues, ive never had kids and i take a daily multi vitamin everyday.

im verrry curious as well as all of you, !

Good luck in your searches

-Jo
I have the same think, but it has got better.  Still little, but not as much at all.  I hac blood work done and found out I was seriously defidient in iron.  I was so low they had to give me 9 infusion.  I had to go 2 x a week.  I do feel better now.  So just a thought that you may have that problem.  Get your iron checked.
It seems to me this is another one of those problems that doctors have to figure out.  I remember when pms was consider just minor pain that just needed to be dealt with.  Later they found that some had serious health issues that needed to be dealt with.  To many women are dealing with this and it needs to be nailed down.  I'm having the same problem and was given the muscle relaxers, however I continue to ask my doctor whats going on.  I appreciate the relief but what's causing the problem... to many times we take meds that will relieve symptoms but forgot that we need to find the cause and take care of that problem if possible
So ladies please continue to pester your doctors.. it's the only way that they are going to take this seriously.
I do urge everyone to double check with your doctor.  My mom currently has the muscle cramps that run beneath her breast and initial the doctor found a tumor in her pancreas, but it appears to be benign and she already had a ultra sound and ct scan and biopsy.  Now they are going to confirm it is benign by doing an esophagus gastric tissue biopsy.  

I also am a suffer of severe muscle cramps mostly in my feet, legs, hands and have had them in my stomach.  I have helped that by going to an acupuncture and taking herbs.  I used to wake up at night 2-5 times with cramps. Now I wake up a couple times a month if that.  I also am a massage therapist and I have noticed most of my clients who are in their 40's and over suffer from leg cramps.  I was shocked to hear how many once I started taking my own poll of clients and friends.  I hope this helps.
Here I thought I was the only one... the doctors that have seen me think I'm nuts... All of these symptoms.. under the left breast.. they've done scans and have not  seen anything. I'm 30 yrs old, mother of two and it's been going on for a little more than a year now. I always think of the worst when something doesn't seem right. But the whole tingling spasms fluttering rolling crawling and sharp pains... I have it all. It's more tender somedays that others to the touch. I feel it more often after eating.. it's even tender to lay on that side, sometimes. Feels like I'm laying on a rock.. There isn't any masses that I can feel to make any sense of that. It's no different than my right side. Seriously not this many women are experiencing this and it's just -nothing-. I've been in the medical field for 10 yrs now... None of this adds up comfortably.
Im a 48 yr old female slightly over weight and I have been getting this sharp stabbing pain under breast but at bottom of right rib. Sometimes its like a spasm or like today a sharp pain that last a second then its gone, and then its there. Sometimes twisting a certain way will cause a spasm.
I too get these painful craps I want to know what to do ! Sometimes just moving I can get a charlie horse any were on my body it drives me nuts I came her to find info and iam just reading storys of my own ! So I will check back !  
Ouch....I have this too.  Every couple of years it flairs up.  This is my third day of it - pain and twitching under left breast - movement - like getting up out of chair, rolling over in bed, heel strike when walking - these things start the pain - it's severe in the way of a very sharp searing or stabbing knife-like pain - it stabs - then weird nerve 'twinges' I guess - and then little twitches of a rhythmic sensation - tapping me under the skin...  Sometimes like a ball is being pinched inside somewhere - so if you squish it by moving your body - this huge wave of sharp pain goes from the left rib up into the heart area.  I take 3 b/p meds, nexium for reflux, vit d for deficiency, pain meds for chronic pain, thyroid supplement too.  

Once a GI doc said, "it's not GI and if you've had it before and you are alive talking about it now - forget about it - it hasn't killed you yet" (jerk)... Tonight went to Mayo Clinic ER - got told "I dunno - maybe costochondritis".... I told him costochondritis does not "spasm and twitch" - So he thinks I'm crazy....

And I'm probably out about 5000 dollars or some stupid amount for going.... But I told myself if it's not gone in 3 days I'll call the doctor's nurse - she tells me to go to rule out a heart problem - so I do as she says and all tests were 100% normal (or so he said - I always get the reports later to check - often they are not normal as they say).....  I was there 4 hours for nothing I guess.  The nurse said, "oh my is your blood pressure always this high? 160/117 - And I had to bite my tongue from saying - no only when severe pain has no diagnosis and I'm charged out the wazoo for such wisdom gems!  

You are caught between a rock and a hard place - I know it's not my heart - yet with high blood pressure do you ignore pain like that?  The goofy ER doc didn't even listen for bowel sounds!  I was like, "oky if it's not my heart - might you check for bowel sounds to see if they are normal or  hyper or tympanic?"  I hate having to tell a doc how to do his job for dog's sake!

So yes I'm grateful it's not my heart - now it's painful twitches bad as I type beneath left breast - finally I just decided to pour a glass of wine - not something I normally do - but I am so so tired of this - I'm whining in more than one way I guess.  I just ate 6 mini chocolate chip cookies too - I am NEVER going to waste money in an ER again.  Even the Mayo Clinic ER - they care about blood and guts and heart attacks - if you have none of the above - you are unimportant - bottom of the heap - even though in bad pain - that *****.

The nurse said, "well you sure seem to be happy and have a good attitude about it all!" ---????  Yes when you live with chronic pain - and then have severe episodic pain on top of that - you live your life laughing to stop from crying - literally.  Yes I'm pleasant - yes I'm smiling - for their sake ---- you don't even want to tempt me to share what I really think....  Makes me want to talk to medical students - yes develop an actual course on fruitful beneficial exacting tips of how to handle the "zebras" of the patient population.  Just because they are taught if they hear what seems to be the clammoring of horse hooves - that in essence it must be a horse they are dealing with --- NOT so - rare cases are RARE - but they do exist -- Hello!  We wouldn't even know about them at all if they didn't exist .... Sometimes the hooves are ZEBRA's!  But you have to think outside the box - you have to give the patient credit - they know their bodies WAY better than the doctor ...  You as a doc,  have to look into the patient's eyes as if they are the only patient they ever had or will have and that they live their lives to seek the betterment of that one person's disposition - emotionally, physically, psychologically - medically -  yes in every way.  It's a habit worth forming - It's appreciating the absolute joy and wonder of the human being.............  I never ever wish hard life and health issues on health care personnel - but it seems sometimes that's what it takes to have them come down to real human terms..........This, "I don't know - what's wrong - and I've just been made dept. head - so I'll blame the patient - yeah - that's it!  "maam - this needs you to see a therapist" - !!! ???

I think to date the Mayo Clinic system is the country's best for fostering that environment - but in some sense - I guess ER's are ER's and you for the most part aren't going to get Marcus Welby.....on a busy night.  However - that does not excuse a doctor from connecting with his patient in a real way .....EVEN if it's to say, "I'm so sorry...this must be frustrating and cause you grief and anxiety .... this pain.... it cannot be easy..... but sincerely - I just don't have an answer for you.... I do care though - so I'll set you up with an appt. - with whom I think might be able to help you.........and remember - I believe you .... and I'm with you - on the same page - and will work to get you feeling better in whatever way I can"

Dream on eh?
ive had this same issue for over six years docs say im fine cant find the reason for it.tests r normal except my liver very abnormal they werent concerned about this either. so when it starts twisting up  i imeditly lay down on the bad side thats cramping and put a lil pressure and wait it leaves after a bit if i try to talk  it gets tighter i also have high blood pressure  i take atavan for it .if u look on a digrahm of the human body it appears to be ur liver right there could this be a liver problem? my doc thinks im crazy too. mine buldges so bad it turns purple in this area sometimes like a bruise? i hope someone helps us soon i am 5/4 and 200 pounds . im 31yrs old .thx guys u helped  me feel not alone my husband thinks its in my head also im glad i found u all now i have proof im not crazy.lol soo plse keep these posts updated so we can all get help thank u
I was so shocked to find this community!  I've had these spasms off and on for several years, but I've had it for the last 4 days non-stop  and it's driving me crazy.  I'm 60 years old, 5'6" and weigh 148 pounds.  I don't have high blood pressure, but I do have fibromyalgia.  My spasms seem to be mostly on the right side under my ribs.  I take a muscle relaxant daily for the fibromyalgia (Norflex) but that doesn't seem to help this.  I hope someone gets a diagnosis soon !  I'll be looking forward to any new posts!
Wow i am so happy i found this site! i have been searching the internet for awhile to find out what in the world was happening to me! I get sharp pains  underneath my breast whenever i sleep and i constantly wake up in the middle of the night b/c i cant move around. I'm 22 years old, 5'1,  and i have been having these sharp pains for about 2 to 3 years! i don't have high or low blood pressure. At first, i thought it was because i was overweight (i used to be 150 pounds) so i started to eat a lot healthier and lost a lot of weight and now i'm at 112 but i'm still having the same pain over and over...i workout 6 to 7 days a week for about an hour to two hours and i stretch before and after working out so i have no idea what to do....help?
I was reading another website of  similar symptoms, where nobody knew exactly what it was, but the majority of people seemed to think it was conected with Fibomyalgia. But I noticed that many experienced ongoing pain and not brief spasms like a "Charliehorse", actually a binding muscle or cramp. The symptoms shown here more accurately describe what I experience, a bound up muscle that you can feel, like a horizontal lump that sticks out, right below the ribs, either one side or both. I've always thought it was because of lack of exercise, and being overweight. It happens to me when I'm sitting on the couch, trying to sit up from a lying position, or twisting to reach something on the back seat of the car.
I have to stand up and try to relax to get rid of it, and take in lots of air with deep breaths. After a minute or so with my hand on the "lump" I can feel the muscle relax and go flat in just a few seconds. Now I have to tell you that I do take several meds, for blood pressure, triglyceride and LDL control. As a result my blood levels,  A1C , and all the important things look great. Even though I am 225lb's at 5'9" about (50lb's over recommended weight) I am a fairly active 68year old, who shares these same symtoms (symptoms) as you, and I am a male. So it obviously isn't limited to female suffers!!!  When I get leg cramps, my wife always says I'm dehydrated, which is probably true, I don't drink enough plain water. My mother who is the amazing age of 98 also gets the leg cramps, but not the muscle binding up below the ribs, we both get relief with quinine water (actually soda water with quinine) it doesn'e take much, it makes muscle cramps go away in minutes (for the legs anyway).All grocery stores carry it, and it's very cheap.  I will keep watching for solutions, my doctor also blew it off when I explained it. It does appear that the solution is probably not the same for everybody. Maybe we are all suffering from "couch potatoe syndrome", although I do not watch much TV.  Maybe the right exercise would keep those muscles from binding up!!??
I am glad to have found this forum. I've had a problem with cramping under my left breast for maybe 6 months. Over the past two years, I've gained a good amount of weight and my bra size has gone from a B to a D. I thought my new size-D underwire bras were causing the problem, so I've gone to non-underwire, and for a while, the cramps seemed to go away, but over the past week they've come back. It doesn't surprise me that doctors don't find anything because I really do believe it's just a cramp. But it's hugely annoying. I notice it most when I've leaning over while sitting to pick something up off the floor. I'm curious if everyone above (I suspect most folks don't check back on this list) is female and what  your cup size is. I think my larger boobs are causing the problem. If I could get the weight off, I think they would go away, but that's never easy. I may try the Quinine drink or pills (you can get them at Walmart, called Leg Cramp or something like that). But thanks everyone for sharing.
Add me to the list of "under the breast cramping".  I been experiencing this for 5 years or more.  It is very scary when it first happens as you do think you may be having a heart attack.  Mine can sometimes cut my breath off and as several people have said you don't hardly dare to move for fear that it will start again.The "feeling like a snake is in there" description is perfect! As with others I find the best way to stop/ease the cramp is to put my arms straight up and stretch upward.  I also take blood pressure med and furosemide as a diuretic.  The comments about mineral/vitamin deficiencies being a possible cause make sense to me.  With so many of us exhibiting this symptom, one would think the doctors would give it some real attention, particularly the ones who specialize in women's health.
Cheryl
hi everyone im a 28 yr old woman, and i too have been suffering with what call cramping pain by my right rib under my right breast for 3 years now. I have seen many doctors and had many tests done and all they can find is scoliosis. Im very scared and worried at the mo as im 14 weeks pregnant and the cramping attacks (as i calk them) are getting more frequent as my stomach is getting bigger. It mostly happens at night time when im sleeping and the pain is so bad it wakes me up. Im so scared about how much pain i might be in when im bigger and when the babys going to be up by my ribs, is there anybody who has been pregnant and had this and can you give me some advice please. Thankyou.
I am 57 years old, am in great shape and am NOT overweight or on any kind of High Blood pressure meds, nor do I have High Blood pressure. In fact I have always had slightly Low blood pressure.  I seem to get the pain when I have exerted my stomach muscles.  First time was about a year ago,  it came from bending for something. Second time I noticed it was when I was stretching, and another time lying down taking photos of something up high and was straining my stomach muscles.  Lots of times since usually with little strain of some kind.  I explained to my Dr. that it felt like a snake of some kind that takes over the area right below my left breast in the upper rib cage area. It tightens up and feels like the muscle hardens with intensity and is moving around on its own.  It lasts for about 30 seconds and is really scary when its happening and is excrutiatingly   painful. After it is tender in the area but does seem to go away till the next time.  You never know when it is going to happen but for me usually when there is some kind of strain on the abdomen area.  I do have arthritis problems in lower back and hip area and take lots of vitamins including Calcium supplements.  I also do yoga and play tennis.  I used to run but have replaced that with walking so as to not make the lower back area worse.  I really wish that with all of us that seem to have this incredibly scary muscle spasm problem under the left breast upper rib area, that some doctors would be able to help us out here and let us know your diagnosis since it seems to be a phenomena that is BIG and worthy of help.  Thankyou
It's also amazing to me that so many of us see our doctors about this problem and they can't figure it out.

the docs need to get together and find out what we all have in common!
I am a 29 year old female, I have three children, the youngest is 7. About 2 years ago I began having these "ribcage cramps". I was getting them about once a month, and they are excruciating! My doctor had me keep a journal of what I was doing before each "episode" but we have found no triggers. The cramps can occur out of nowhere. However, my cramps are like a band. Rather than just being on one side, it is like a tight band right under my breasts that wraps around to my back and radiates upwards a bit. It hurts to breathe, and the pain gradually abates, but for me it normally takes an hour or two for them to go away completely. There is no position that eases it, and it often also makes me nauseous.

I have tried muscle relaxers, supplements, anti-inflammatory meds, etc..I am in good health, but these cramps are so very painful that I cannot do anything while in the grips of one. Often a cramp will wake me up in the middle of the night and reduce me to tears. During the day, I sometimes notice a dull ache begin in that area, and if I catch it early and stretch and take the motrin 800 my doctor prescribed, I can ward it off. But more often, it comes on so quickly that I can't prevent it. :(

Most recently my doctor diagnosed me with Dysmenorrhea, however, I have another appt because I looked that up and it has to do with menstrual cramping.....this pain is way too high up in my chest to be menstrual cramps, it feels WAY worse, and at the moment I am on continuous birth control, so I am not having a period and the pain is still continuing.

I will continue to come back and post any updates as my doctor and I try new treatments and let you know if anything helps! Right now, I find that nothing alleviates the pain entirely, but for me it is more bearable if I drink some water, and sit on the couch with a towel rolled up putting pressure on my back in the ribcage area, and breathe in and out deeply and slowly. It takes an hour or two..but gradually eases up.

Hugs to everyone who is experiencing this problem. It has been so frustrating that no one I know has this issue, and that my doctor has no idea what is wrong! Thankfully he doesn't think I am crazy yet, and is working through possibilities to help me try and pinpoint the cause so I can be treated. Thank you all for sharing your stories, as it does help to know I am not alone!
Wow--I'm amazed at all the comments!  I decided to Google about this and found all of you!  I'm turning 51 soon and started having these muscle spasms, as described by all of you.  Some of the time they happen when I go to bend or put a seat belt on, etc., or even just sitting at the computer (like just now--which made me start searching for an answer!).  Mine happen right under my breasts/ribs.  Very painful--and I have a high pain tolerance.
I also suffer from these cramps under my rib cages but like many of you it can happen at anytime all I have to do is move or stretch and they do hurt like charlie horses and leave my rib cages sore. I too also take Blood Pressure medicine and I am 42 yrs. old. I do sympathize with everyone of you who are suffering from this. I just want to say that I recently found out about Cramp 911 and it works very well! One can pick it up at Walgreens and it's located in the vitamin aisle. If anyone finds out exactly whats going on with all of us, Please let me know. Thank you & Good luck!
My husband went to GNC yesterday to see about getting something all natural for my blood pressure since I read so many with this problem takes BP medicine and the man at GNC told my husband that BP medicine takes water out of our bodies so it is possible this is a dehydration problem. I've been drinking a lot of water and since I have not had any bad cramps. I also think this could be true in my case because normally I don't drink very much water, but I am going to now. I hope this will help all of you too.
I too have developed the symptoms all of you have described above. I have had one child, and when I was pregnant, my rib cage expanded to the point that two of my ribs protuded out & caused a lot of pain. My cramp occurs near this painful point. A friend of mine who's a nurse thought perhaps I have a hernia (I guess they can occur as some odd points in the body). I'm hoping to get this checked out soon. I'm not overweight & exercise, stretch, but it feels like a tiny fist develops, a bad cramp that lasts a couple of minutes. When it happens, I can't move or do anything but wince until it 'crawls away.' This has only happened since I have birth to my child.
I have this same pain I also describe it as a charley horse pain and a knot appears under my right breast - I to have found out if you move just the right way it will go away.  Started happening after I had my 2nd child went to dr and he said it was heartburn & started me on meds for that.  Continued to have pain after 3rd child went to different dr he said might be gallbladder did all the tests no it wasn't that.  It has really been getting worse the last few months.  All my babies have been big over 10 lbs - I'm 34 about 20 pounds over weight I drink a lot of water & diet drinks.  I have IBS .  After reading all the comments I think next time I'm at dr I will get a work up to see if I'm low for anything - that seems to be a link throughout most of these posts.
I'm 67, no children, and I don't wear a bra. I just started getting a cramp under right breast after touching toes. It seems to protrude between the top 2 ribs and subsides quickly when I stand. I've felt bruised on the bone under my right breast for a few years. I eat 1/2 banana daily and will return to tonic water which my doc suggested in lieu of quinine pills. How strange there is no answer so I contribute it to shrinking pains that start when the growing pains stop.
I am 52. I am not on B/P tablets I could loose a few kilos but I have no ovaries or internal woman parts left, I do exercise in a gym 3 times a week.I have been on HRT for a few years.I have had these spasms for about 3 years now and they are getting more regular and now the muscle is so knotted it has stayed there like a mass under my left breast on top of my ribs.I work in front of a computer at least 3 hours a day. I take fish oil, evening primrose, calcium vitamin d, eat bananas at least twice a week, mega b and drink heaps of water.
I would love to find out how to get rid of it like everyone else..If anyone has a friend who is a doctor that could read this groups symptoms and try to come up with a solution that would be not only a relief for us but challenging for them.
Good luck everyone.
I have two little updates.  First, I've lost 35 pounds and do not get this as often.  I also do Pilates twice a week and that may help.  Just thinking about it is scary and makes me feel tentative about moving.  The second thing is that I just realized every post here that I've seen is from a woman!  

Because this has been pretty uncommon for me, I've never asked my doctor about it.  But, I have a great caring doctor, so I will see if she can provide any insight.  

I also, want to remind you of a simple thing that someone posted that I can't believe I never thought of that helps me so very much.  That is to stretch in the opposite direction of the cramp.  I get it on the right so for me that means lifting my right arm above my head and stretching over to the left.  

Thank you all for your posts.  It helps so much to know there are others.
I also have this cramping. Rolfing  cured this for me!!!  Find a long time rolfer, not someone just out of school.
I have been sitting and reading all your comments.  I am also relieved to know I'm not alone.  The only thing I have to add is that the Quinine pills I took (probably ten yrs. ago) are now off the market.  I would take one pill and poof, gone within a few minutes.  Wouldn't come back for a long time, so I did not overtake.  Then you had to have a prescription, now you can't get them unless you have malaria.  I know they're available in Canada, but have read a few articles about them not being approved by the FDA and that they're unsafe if used for our problem.  I'm with many of you.  I just don't understand why our great medical professionals cannot come up with a cure for this horrible situation.  I am 69, a little overweight and must admit that I'm not a lover of exercise.  I'm on BP meds as well.  I have to admit that I would give anything for Quinine.  Maybe if I search long enough, I could find a dealer.   Do you think I could advertise for one on Facebook?  My best to everyone.  If I find one I'll let ya'all know.  Regards, Karen
I am 26, have no children, and am on Natazia birth control (which, after trying 7 other kinds, I seem to like this one).  I have this same problem under my left breast - it feels like a persistent charley horse, and I sometimes can't tell if it is under my breast, in my ribcage, or in my back in that same spot.  It happens mostly at night, when I am laying down, but has been happening during the day on occasion.  I just take Motrin to deal with it, but I am dumbfounded as to what caused it.  I eat very healthy and exercise regularly.   Could it be from doing sit-ups?
I have had this type of pain ever since I gained weight. I have it on either side and it usually happens in the shower when I'm twisting around. It is very painful and the first few times it happened, very frightening. The way I deal with it is the same way I deal with a charlie horse. I stretch as far as I can the other way to try and stretch to pull that side of my torso the other way. It usually works to stretch the knot out. I have actually seen the muscle "roll" while the spasm was happening.
I'm a 40 yr old male suffering from the same fate as all u ladies...this is the only site i have found that describes the symptoms to a T...family doctor is of no use...waiting for my work benefits to start so i can go see a physiotheripist...this muscle is below my right breast and is visibly swollen...when the burning gets severe.... i try to push blood thru it usuing the palm of my left hand...it gives relief sometimes...but not for long...will keep you all updated when i see a physio...but i fear...from all these posts...if there was a solution...we'd have read it by now..
-chris
I had bronchitis 4 weeks ago. But bout3 days ago, I started having this pain under my right breast but also along the side to the back. I cannot cough or it would go into a spasm. Then all of a sudden, it would feel like when u stretch ur back or fingers to knack. Its excruciating. I c most if not all, r woman with high bp? Me too. The dr thought it might b I torn the muscle with all the coughing but none of the meds work or relieve the pain? I am also very gassy, Do any one of u figured out what and how? Please let me know, I've bn crying myself 2 sleep the past 2 days... I don't know if I can take it anymore!
I get these cramps in my upper abdomen too when i bend over to shave my legs in the shower.  It's because I've gotten out of shape and FAT!  Come on people.  No CAT scan needed.  Just lose weight and get in shape.
I am 57 as of Thursday.  I have been having these cramp type things under my left breast.....I thought maybe it was angina or something.....Its is nice to see that it is not, however, it doesnt seem as if anyone knows what it is!!!
That is scary.  But, I do see that people have been suffering for years with this and have had no ill effects, other than the uncomfortableness of the cramp.  
Hope all is well with everyone....stay healthy!
Deb
I have ask my Doctor and he suggested Magnesium Tablets.I had an ultra sound on mine as it now has a thickening there and it didn't show up. So no one is concerned about it but it is not as bad since taking the tablets in fact only once in nearly a month.
I've had the same charley-horse type cramps in my ribs on and off for years.  Many years ago, I asked my doctor and he told me it was likely a calcium deficiency.  I started taking calcium and they went away for a long time.  I've recently started getting them again, and I'm about to re-start on the Calcium.  It could be other things, like potassium, depending on the person, but thought I'd share this at least.
OKay....  add me to the ever growing list.  :(  Not only do I get this under my left breast, but in my left shoulder, my left calf, and get this one.... in my left cheek on occassion while eating!!!  You should see my cheek swell up and move around on its own like a hard snake is running around!  Talk about pain...  it's horrible!!!  ai've had it in all those mentioned places for years; prolly @ least 5 or 6.  The last time my cheek swelled I was in the hospital so I called my nurse.  She could barely believe her own eyes.  She got in touch with my Internist and he ordered a CT Scan STAT!  The nurse thought it was my Parotid (Spelling) Gland.  But of course the CT Scan didn't show a thing!!!  I couldn't have an MRI as I had just had my 5th Cardiac Stent implanted.  At times these 'charley-horse, snake crawling' things are more prevelant than others...  but it never goes away totally :(  The pain is and can be relentless, and I am in Pain Management due to 4 herniated discs which I can't have operated on until I'm off Plavix (blood thinner for Cardiac Stents) least I could 'bleed out.'  My first back surgery was in 2006 and very sccessful! :)  I can't wait to have the remainder of my back fixed.  I take some pretty heavy duty meds due to my back pain... MS Contin 30mg (Time released Morphine) every 12 hours, Percoset 10/325 for breakthrough pain every 4-5 hours, Soma (muscle relaxer) 3 times a day, Gabapentin for nerve pain (Sciatica) 900mg @ night, and 300mg 4-5 times a day.  Even given all my pain meds when I get the swelling no matter what location the pain is relentless until the swelling subsides.  I have tried everything with no relief.  Hard to believe so many of us share this malady yet no Dr. has a clue as to what we are experiencing.  Makes me wonder about our Health Care Professionals!  If all of us experience this just stop and think how many more women and men also have experienced it....  yet no one can find a Dr. who has a clue to what this really is.  My Pain Mgt. Dr. thought I may have Fibro, but I am not really showing the 'classic' trigger points or other symptoms.  Very frustrating!!!

I'm 50 yrs. young ;) I weigh 122 soaking wet...lol  I had a heart attack in 2007 and subsquently 5 Cardiac Stents.  I do have high cholesterol, NO bloodpressure issues.  I take Simvastatin 40mg for my cholesterol which I do understand can cause muscle spasms (cramps) which I need to do a bit more research on after this posting....  anyone else take a statin who gets these strange symptoms?  

Keep posting....  we may get to the bottom of this yet ;)  First one to accurately diagnosis us gets to name the malady after them ;)  We gotta keep our sense of humor in all this now don't we ;)  
wat is happening to u is also happening
to me wat was used to cure u

Wow well this putts my mind at ease, I woke up in the middle of the nite last night with intense breast pain only in my left breast, it was note under the breast plate it was the breast fat and muscles, it felt like they were being squesed really really hard,

I was so scared because well I have a host of so many symptems, I am afrade I have cancer or Lupus and I dont want my breast which are very sensitivve to be involved, but breast cramp akes so much sense I have been proned to get emense cafe cramps my whole life so yes it fits,
ok here's another, I just found this forum. I have had these cramp
s under both rib's for month's! also in toe's believe it or not! And yes Dr. has no idea of cause, and I think he thought I was nut's. It is scary when it happen's when im driving.I do have back prob's, but no high bp. This is so crazy that so many have it!!!
Its crazy that noone knows what this is. and for thoes of you saying its that were not in shape,  Im now in need of loseing weight but just not many years ago when the cramps started i was in great shape never had a car always walked and ate right. so how do you explain that. im 21 now and was 18 when I fell backwards into a horseshoe pitt and the bar in the pit hit me on the right side of the back knocking air out of me to where i couldnt yell for help(thought i was done for).  just imagine falling backwards straight into a horseshoe pitt and falling into the peg that sticks up out of the ground outch!!!.I was in bed for a week but never went to a doctor. Im pretty sure The spot it hit could have cracked my rib. is there anyone who thinks that maby a cracked rib could cause this.  im 21 now was 18 then and it seems the cramp in my rib gets worse as the years go.
Its crazy that noone knows what this is. and for thoes of you saying its that were not in shape, Im now in need of loseing weight but just not many years ago when the cramps started i was in great shape never had a car always walked and ate right. so how do you explain that. im 21 now and was 18 when I fell backwards into a horseshoe pitt and the bar in the ...
Three days ago I began to have a sharp pain under my right breast. It feels as if muscle or skin is stuck between my ribs. It is even more painful when I take deep breaths or yawn. I was considering going to the ER in the morning and feel relieved I am not the only person with this pain. I googled "feels like muscle pinched between ribs" and found this forum.
i also get this uncomfortable pain and would love some answers , mentioned it to my doctor and was sent for scans and nothing was found.

sandra
Hi:

I just turned 50 and have had the same problem for over a year now.  I'm retired from the U.S. military and living in Germany.  However, my muscle tightness, knots or spasms NEVER go away & are w/me 24-hours a day ...every day!  I do not have an answer for all of you but I can share the courses of action I have exhausted with my German Ortho doctor.  

My issue started when I was undergoing 5 months of PT to strengthen my lower core muscles for chronic lower back pain.  A few weeks into my PT I noticed I was getting muscle knots in between my shoulder blades which eventually expanded to my rib cages (predominantly on my left side).  I immediately informed my PT and the PT assistant who was working with me in the gym.  For anyone who has undergone extensive PT ...therapists prefer to isolate (1) problem before moving onto new ones.

In the interim I started seeing a licensed massage therapist weekly for (1) hour sessions.  I would get temporary relief ...but as my activity level increased the pain became unbearable ex: grocery shopping, cooking dinner, house cleaning, standing on my feet for longer periods.  

Once I completed my 5 months of PT for my lower back issues (beginners core training, aqua therapy, intermediate & advanced core training) I was enrolled in a 4 month PT program to strengthen my upper back and shoulders.  I still had no improvement & sought assistance from my German Ortho doctor.

With a visit to my German ortho doctor I explained to the best of my ability what would take place ..."When I encounter an "episode" it normally would start in my left or right shoulder blade, meet in the middle of my back/spine sending a burning sensation down my back & then wrapping itself around my ribs".  My ortho doctor said that the burning sensation that is wrapping around the ribs tells him it pertains to the "Thoracic Muscle & Spine"

Here is a list of things we have exhausted that didn't work for me ...but may for you

Wkly Epidural Steroid Injections to the Thoracic back (w/o x-ray machine) for (2) months
Wkly Flouroscopy Epidural Steroid Injections to the Thoracic back (w/x-ray machine) for (1) month
(4) months of PT to strengthen upper back/body (I never had upper body strength)
Worked on my back posture
Wkly Professional Massage Therapy
Home T.E.N.S unit (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)
High quality "moisture" heating pad by Body Med
Back KnobberII
Back Belt for pain ...which helps cut down on the burning sensation I experience throughout my ribcage.  

I just underwent an MRI of the thoracic spine & I do have significant disc degeneration in my L5/L6 (lumbar) and T11/T12 (thoracic) regions.  Unfortunately, not enuf to warrant back surgery.  

My Ortho doctor just prescribed me "Aponal" & it is currently too early to notice if it is working or not.

I have never been in an accident or had any kind of back trauma, I have always been physically active my entire life.  Before my lower back problems I ran 5x's/wk @ 3 miles, hiked, bicycled.  Now I'm lucky if I can walk 30 mins w/o encountering an episode of my back & ribs seizing up.  I do force myself to walk 4-5x's a week for 45 mins. & try to be mindful of my posture.

My quality of life ***** ...but I try to remain optimistic.  This has really impacted my what was "active life style" ...not to mention my overall family life.  We have cancelled vacations ...because it isn't enjoyable to be out sightseeing & your back seizing up on you every 30 minutes, I have trouble sleeping thru the night (I am on a prescribed sleeping pill, Zolpidem) ...but even w/that I don't experience a sound, restful sleep.

Even though my above journey hasn't helped me (long-term) I hope it may give some of you answers, avenues to exhaust & maybe even some relief!!

Wow! I am so blessed to have found this forum because like many of the people here mentioned, I thought I was going crazy.

I am a 49 year old female. I'm 5'3 and I am overweight. I have never had children and I don't wear, and have never worn, underwire bras. I don't have high blood pressure and I don't take any medications other than an occasional multi-vitamin. I don't drink alot of soda, I don't smoke, but I do drink about one cup of coffee a day.

These pains started for me about a year ago and I've been attributing them to an motorcycle accident I had two years ago which resulted in 7 broken ribs. I thought these spasms might have been related to that accident but in reading this forum, I don't think so now. I went to the doctor and she ran all the gall bladder tests which came back negative and so she gave me some Prilosec but I knew that the pains weren't related to that at all.

Like most of you, these "spasms" or "cramps" start when I bend down to pick something up or twist to get something over my shoulder. Like many of you, I also have the sensation of a dull ache and the sense that if I move a certain way, it will trigger the spasm. When I read someone describe this as a type of "charly-horse", I thought to myself, "YES"! That's exactly what it feels like.

I might try taking the Vitamin D and magnesium to see it if helps but mostly I am just happy to have found other people experiencing the same symptoms I've been experiencing. It makes me feel better.
I've probably been suffering the same symptoms for YEARS.  My 19 year old daughter tells me she has this as well.  Add me to the long list that I see here.  Glad to see that I'm not alone!
hiya ladies,  I am 49 yrs old, smoke ,drink.6 ft, and have one child 6 yrs old.
I am not overweight , I am active yet I do not follow any exercise program or diet , slender all my life (however I did have a form of induced hypertension  due to weight gain during my pregnancy) ...I have had these exact symptoms since adolescence ie; bending over at a certain point I experience a fierce gripping around chest area, resulting knot like spasm that prevents me from straightening back ,then continuing to breathe shallow until I  can rub it out. While it is frightening I can somewhat feel it coming on and most times prevent the full clutch by slowly returning into upright position.  I also have had battery of tests x-rays through the years and no one seems to be able to diagnose  anything concrete.
thanks for all of your imput.
jess
Glad i found this site ...ok so ive had these so called muscle spasms under my left rib cage for awhile now to me it feels like trapped air gas and a pulled muscle all in one, and when it happens i feel as if its gonna seize right up and if it  doesnt stop real soon then someone call an ambulance . i cant even laugh deep or hard and then it happens. and the leg cramps also recently the stomach omg it feels like a hernia and goes real tight and i have to jump up and walk it out and that happens sometimes just from lying in bed and stretching. i don't know whats going on, im currently under the care of a oncologist as i have Breast cancer and have had a left mastectomy,and 17 months of chemo herceptin and radiation i also had cervical cancer 10 yrs ago and also chemo radiation brackeytherapy ive heard some say they snore and yes i snore big time and believe i have sleep apenia as i stop breathing in my sleep..i have not heard any of you mention if you are smokers or not and don't stone me for this but yes i am a long time smoker ..i do eat right lots of vegtables and drink plenty of water i take many pills arimidex causes alot of side effects and have a stubburn cough for a few weeks i take calcium and flax seed oil and eat one clove of garlic daily.. im prolly about 20 pounds over weight and excersize moderatly walking ect. i take a advil extra strengh and lorazapam 1mg befor bed to help me get through the night . i hope this pain goes away its very unnerving even too a 2 time cancer survivor ...ive had every mri ct and blood test known nothing ever showed up to explain this tho..im 48 yrs old could just be the Joys of getting older and our parents forgot to tell us ?? .god bless and good luck
So nice to know I am not alone with this pain ! I have just got out of the bath, bent down to dry my lower legs and it started... now I am sat on the edge of my seat typing this. I darent move my body at the moment. I thought I was having a heart attack !
I am 52, I smoke, I am in the overweight catagory (but dont really look it).
I do not have HBP and do not take any medication.

Hope everyone has a pain free day.
I too have these same symptoms but, throughout my entire body they, kind of take turns. I have been to family, ortho, neurology, Rheumotlogy doctors...I think you get the picture. It seems that my back or spine is causing the cramping problem. You may want to try a CT scan or MRI to find out if there is some kind of problem going on.
Good Luck!
It's good to know I'm not crazy...which is what I was starting to believe.   This is an excruciating pain, I have had these "charley horses" in my hands, feet, legs, rib cage (under the breast), that just felt like it would squeeze the life out of me.  I have not gone to the Dr about this as I was not sure if this was a realy issue.  
The pain has brought me to tears, I'm so happy you ladies are here and that I'm not alone with this pain.  Thanks for this post.
Hello Ladies,
I have been getting these for a few years and my sister recently told me that she is experiencing them as well.  I had them while in a doctor's visit the other day and when she looked on that side it went to the other but still no diagnosis.  I have been reading all the postings to see what we had in common and the only unwavering fact is that we are women.  I get them laying down, sitting or bathing. I immediately stretch in the opposite direction from the pull of the spasm (eventhough it hurts) and do heavy deep breathing (as if about to give birth) and massage it if it is in an area I can reach.  

I did some research and hope this helps:There are a variety of causes of muscle spasms, and each cause depends on certain predisposing factors and anatomic areas of involvement.

Spasms may occur when a muscle is overused and tired, particularly if it is overstretched or if it has been held in the same position for a prolonged period of time. In effect, the muscle cell runs out of energy and fluid and becomes hyperexcitable and then develops a forceful contraction. This spasm may involve part of a muscle, the whole muscle, or even adjacent muscles.
I will continue the quest for relief and I am determined to figure this out.
I have a pain below my right rib that feels like a tight muscle. I feel like I have been doing sit ups all night long. It seems to hurt more when I work (I am a casino floor runner and walk probably 4 miles a day). It also seems to tighten up when I am driving in my car. I have deep pains in my lower back as well.I have had several people tell me its a hernia or a kidney infection. I don't have any other symptoms of a kidney infection though, and its not a painful hurt. Just a very uncomfortable one.
Hi I am a mother of 4, over weight, and have been suffer with countless number of undiagnosed symptoms for over 4 years now. They think that I have MS but getting a clear diagnosis has found to be extremely difficult. I too feel relieved that I am not the only one suffering with this unexplained "charlie horse" under my right rib. It renders me unable to speak until it stops. It also hits me without any know reason for the onset.  
i have the same pain had it for a couple of years now the Dr just keep puttin it down to panic attacks but its drivin me nuts i get the pain every day every hour and its startin to make me so stress'd and starting to keep me from everyday life i have been to the hospital thinking its my heart left work left from trips away i have had every test on my heart chest xray's everything please help :(
Hi there... Just read your tweet to Judy.  I too have a spasm under my rib/s on the left side..... especially if I have a hearty laugh or if i am in a certain position, always sitting up..... I have had a mastectomy on that side and my sister said that maybe the silocone is leaking?  I have been experincing this for the past two years..... gosh its worrying me....

I too have this pain under my breast, rib cage, right side. I am very top heavy and have gained 25 lbs in the past year. I have been to several doctors, it is not liver, gallbladder or kidney stones. I have had x rays and CT scams and ultrasounds. It hurts more with a bra on but hurts all the time and it does seem to roll around. This has gotten worse over the past few months but has been going on for 2 years. I am scheduled for an MRI although I am doubtful they will find the cause.
I also have occasional charley horses in my calfs and I do have shoulder pain from degenerative disc disease in my neck. I have seen a chiropractor regularly and massage therapy. NOTHING HELPS. I am not taking any meds or supplements. I do not have a colon. It is not GI related in any way.
It is frustrating to see so many with this issue and not one doctor who can resolve it. I am tired and irritable from this. I do not work , relatively stress free and 58 years old not overweight. I eat very little and only drink one cup of coffee a day. No sugar or alcohol or smoking. I am boring.
I too have been experiencing the same pain spasms in my right rib cage, under my breast. I have been feeling this pain for the last 5 months.  I'm 25, at normal weight for my height and have never been pregnant (though I noticed some of you have started to feel this pain after pregnancy). In the last 2 months I've started to feel unexplained dizziness/feeling faint at all hours of the day. It doesn't matter if I'm actively working or being sedentary at home, I get these "dizzy" attacks. Has anyone felt this? I don't believe I have high blood pressure (though I need to check with my doctor). Usually I don't eat many foods with added salt, or many animal or dairy although this past month I have been eating a lot more fast food and have noticed the pain increase. Has anyone else made changes in their diet and seen any improvement or negative effects?
well i have had muscle spasms in the same place but not painful, i have noticed  eating certain things will cause it. when i ate popcorn chicken it happens almost immediately. not sure if this helps but i would suggest monitoring what u eat and drink and see if there is a connection good luck to everyone
Wow I thought I was the only one that this was going on with. I had my right kidney removed due to cancer in Feb and they also found a spot on my liver so I thought that was the problem because it started on the right side. I ended up in the ER because the pain was excrutiating. Now it is also on the left side. My Doc said that I might have pulled the rib muscles picking up my grandchildren, but the pain goes up and down my back with little tingles. NO IDEA, just wish that I was back to normal because I cant pick anything up, it aggravates the condition. I am not a pill taker and cannot take anti inflammatories because of having only one kidney. I guess I have to suffer. I am 54 and on blood pressure and cholesterol meds.
Wow!!! I am so excited to find this website!!! I have been having this same thing happen for a couple years and my doctor is at a loss. I have always described it as a loose rib with a cramp like leg cramps.. I have had the cramps wake me up in the middle of the nite and have found if I drink a glass of milk or eat spinach that it helps them go away more quickly which seems to me a lack of Potassium. I too have high blood pressure and was taking triglyceride meds but had to come off of them as it made these spasisms go crazy!
Out of all to post I have read so far I have not seen any posts that say that someone knows what is causing this.  Any ideas?
Thanks!
Try these home remedies for cramps, maybe one of them will work for you.
      A teaspoon of mustard works like a charm for me.
     Tonic Water works for some people(because of the quinine)
     A teaspoon of baking soda in a small glass of water is another.
    Pedeolite (like for babies might help you.
    Drink a little pickle juice, it may give you some relief.    

I hope these help some of you!
Do any of you have bladder issues? I looked at the female anatomy because I too have this and where it looks like it is coming from on me is right up under the rib cage on both sides where the bladder hangs from two different things. I can't remember what they are called. I am going to get my bladder checked and will ask my dr. Would make sense that since it's dropped it would be pulling on those two thingies.. hmmmm  .. I will post later after my findings.
Im 25 experiencing some of the same problems...it is a pain that started happening all of a sudden...I was out drinking and when I awoke that next morning there was this piercing pain behind my left rib cage...when I'm motionless I feel 100 percent but when I twist turn  or bend my core I feel this pain behind my left rib cage...it seemed to have been a smaller area when I first received the pain and now it feels as if it is stretching through the side of my rib cage and mildly towards my back area.
Hello everyone,
  Like all of you, I do experience these pain on both ribs and wraps around my mid back. The pain is strong enough that I stop breathing for some seconds until it ease out. I'd have it for up to 4 hours and it'll go away. I've been dealing with this pain for about 2 months and then it was gone for 2 months until yesterday. I went to see my doctor and didn't see anything wrong. I do notice the pain coming back when I stress or anticipate something nervously. I had my co worker who is a massage therapist as well to see what is going on and she found knots under my rib cage and tightness on my intercostalis muscles up to the insertion of the rectus abdominis muscle. She worked on it and released the tightness and gave me a couple of stretches and I was fine for a week. I only had an hour session so unfortunately my back muscles weren't released. I plan on getting a 90 or 120 just to focus on releasing my core muscles. And I know now that I hold my stress in Hara/core/stomach.
Viewing 1-200 comments: