my girlfriend has some odd menstual symptoms
About her:  She is 38 years old, and has two children (9 and 11). She is active (cycles 5 days a week) and eats relatively well. She is 5', 7" and weighs about 120 lbs. She is not, nor has she ever been on birth control (she has a tubal ligation).

She has always had a tough time with menstruation (lots of bleeding, cramping and PMS), sometimes accompanied by diarrhea. Lately she's had a pain in her ovary for about a month, and she had two periods that were two weeks apart. Finally her period arrived on time, but this time she has had diarrhea for over a week, accompanied by the following symptoms:  She has felt very cold for several days, she looks pale and she just feels lousy. She also has a weird sort of burp and hiccup combination happening, where she inhales a gulp of air very quickly with a loud sound (although that seems to be subsiding).

It is really an odd bunch of symptoms, but I thought I'd list them all.

The main thing that concerns me is the diarrhea and the severity of her period. I became really concerned when she was cold and pale (anemia?), but that has passed. I guess I'm wondering if this is normal, or if it's possible that she is a candidate for early menopause (her grandmother had a hysterectomy at age 38). I'd also know if there is anything that people can recommend for cramps and PMS. We prefer natural solutions to our health problems, but she does have an appointment with a physician on December 11th.