my vagina smells like bad garbage! HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

OMG! I'm 28 years old and have recently been put on iron pills since I've started taking these pills I've noticed that my vagina has become itchy and has a garbage like smell to it! I take a shower every night but the odor is still there! Can anyone help me? I'm going to the doctor's today but I am FREAKING out!
What type of iron did they put you on, there are different supplements of iron and our bodies can absorb them differently.
Have the doctor swab you for BV and check for lost tampons.
Thank u for ur suggestions I went for my pap smear and my doctor didn't see anything alarming! She is having my urine tested for different things however she feels that if the odor came after being put on the iron it could be my body reacting to the medication!
My doctor put me on ferrious furmurate (sp)
I am super sensitive to iron myself, the best vitamin I have had luck with is Rainbow Light.  I do see that they have an iron supplement called Complete Iron™ Mini-Tabs.  I can only take iron for so long until it jacks with my digestive system.  Another thing that has worked for me is adding Yellow Dock tincture to my tea.  Don't forget too to eat healthy foods that naturally contain iron.  

lean red meats, including beef, pork, lamb
seafood, such as oysters, clams, tuna, salmon, and shrimp, etc.
beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils
iron fortified whole grains, including cereals, breads, rice, and pasta
greens, including collard greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach, and turnip greens
tofu
vegetables, including broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, watercress, brussel sprouts
chicken and turkey
blackstrap molasses
nuts
egg yolks
dried fruits, such as raisins, prunes, dates and apricots

Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron too, so make sure you are getting enough of that too :D  Let us know how it works out for you, keep us updated.
I am 27 years and even I am facing the same issue.I am on Pre-Natal Vitamins for nearly 2 months now.Could this be the reason it is better I consult my OBGYN to find out if anything alarming.
I went to my doctor and she said she didn't see anything alarming but I still notice the odor... Could it be psychological? I also noticed the odor went away after I had sex with my boyfriend! The odor went away for about two days! What do u think could be the problem?
Well my doctor didn't notice anything alarming she did notice the odor and said it wasn't as extreme of a smell as I was making it out to be... My fiance hasn't said anything either and he is the type of man who would call me on it if he smelled anything, regardless of if it hurt my feelings or not... I'm going to buy a feminine spray after work today and hopefully the odor gets better!
If you buy a feminine spray then you are likely to disrupt the normal flora and end up with thrush or something else that may smell even worse.

There is a genetic disorder than can cause a fishy smell from the vagina called Trimethylaminuria (or TMAU or Fish Odour Syndrome).  This may be a consideration if your doctor has ruled out other causes.  You may want your doctor to test for this.  Certain foods foods will create more of a smell than others.
I definitely agree with the diet causing some issues too.  If I eat processed fish or too many processed foods it reflects on my scent.  Glad you got confirmation it wasn't anything serious by your doctor.