nausea during ovulation/menstruation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

nausea during ovulation/menstruation

I have been experiencing very mild, but noticible nausea around the time I ovulate and again right before, during and after my period. It is not all the time during the day, but feels very strange and unusual and has consistently come and gone during these times. I would think I were pregnant if it had not been going on for a few months and if I had not had regular, heavy periods. We are trying to get pregnant and I wonder if something is out of balance with hormones? Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks
I know where u r comming from. I do the same thing. I bloat really bad too. My stomach feels like its full. I don't ever throw up or anything I just feel sick. I asked my doctor about it and he said I was fine. It's normal. Of course he is a man and has no idea what it feels like. I feel like I have one "good " week without feeling sick. I take pepto or eat tums. it seems to help for a little bit.good luck. I will also say when I was pg with both of my girls I got a sick feeling at night. I never threw up I just felt icky.
Could be your reaction to progesterone or the lack of progesterone, (as you were thinking, your reaction to hormones).  Hope this doesn't mean you will be really sick when you get pregs.  Good luck on that!
I just found this blog when I googled "nausea during menstruation" today because I have been so sick since I started this period and it's only the second day! I have thrown up though, because I get more and more nauseous when I eat or especially drink, but I feel thirsty. I wish I had a cure!
Sabina, which can be found at a local specialty foods store, is a natural homeopathic remedy that can help reduce the loss of blood that is making you nauseous.
Ginger root works great to combat the nauseous feeling. You can make a tea out of it or buy it in pill form. If you take the pills, take one every 4 hours. Its the only thing that helped me with my nausea.
I feel exactly like you.  Ever since I had my daughter 2 years ago I get nausea throughout the month and feel like I can't get a break except for maybe a couple days out of the month!!  I want to get blood work done to see whats wrong.
I have the same problem.  Day 12, 13 & 14 I usually feel nausea.  It's the hormone stimulation for ovulation.  I was on the pill for years and it really help.  Now I had to go off the Pill and it was so bad that I have been throwing up in the middle of the night.  It's always worse at 2:00am!  I am on the patch, but it doesn't seem to work. Of couse, the doctor totally doesn't understand!
If the nausea is persistent throughout the month, then you might have food allergies/food intolerances.  I have several, and most recently discovered I'm intolerant to gluten/wheat, as well as chocolate.  Ironically, the nausea and bloating I felt throughout the month went away after eliminating these foods, but now I feel more nauseous before my period.  This month, it's bad enough that I'm worried about being pregnant, even though it's still a few days before my period.  After my period starts, though, the nausea goes away within a day or two and the rest of the month is nausea-free.  I should note that my periods are more "normal" now that I've eliminated the food I'm intolerant to...and I've lost a lot of weight, as well.  Lastly, I drink peppermint tea with a pinch of powdered ginger, and sweetened naturally with a few drops of stevia extract (you can also buy it in powder form - but don't use much!  It takes half a BB sized scoop to equal a couple teaspoons of sugar in sweetness -- if you use too much, it tastes bitter).  This tea is excellent at eliminating nausea.  Good luck!
Hi! I've been a lot in the Web finding an answer during my ovolation and either before, duirng or after of my menstral period. Twice a month i am experiencing headaches, nausea, irritations and easy to get mad. I often fight with my husband without no reason at all. I also have 3 kids and I often scolded them even it is not their fault. What I am trying to say is I am totally a different person during my period and even ovolation period. I can easily got sick too.

Imagine every other week you feel sick, I felt so bad I am hurting my husband and kids often. I can be very mean and I do not want to continue being this way. I need help or advice.
Yes. I get that, too. My doctor sent me to a hospital specialist-(at the time, I was working in a laboratory with lots of nasty chemicals, so they wanted to eliminate some kind of poisoning) they think the most likely cause is not the levels of hormones themselves but the rate at which they change (rapid changes in the levels of progesterone and or oestrogen- aka "estrogen" causing nausea).

If your doctor eliminates other- more serious causes- he/she can give you an anti nausea drug, like "domperidone" or you can use ginger extracts- both medical doctors and herbalists endorse ginger for nausea. I usually make tea from powdered ginger or from fresh ginger root cut into tiny pieces.
Hi all,

I also found this website when I googled "nauseousness during period". I have never felt like throwing up or felt sick, I get mild to extreme period pains before and during my menstrual cycle, however the cycle I'm going through now is completely different. I have been eating a lot a week prior to my cycle, and the first two days I have only been feeling sick. I am not on the pill and I'm definitely not pregnant.My flow is a lot heavier than usual, but I think that is compensating for my last cycle for I didnt get anything and only lasted 2-3 days.( That could be due to the stress from my studies.)   I really dont know how to get rid of this feeling! :( Ahhh.. the things women have to put up with!
I am so grateful I came across this site. Thank god for google. I'm home sick from work... AGAIN due to how terribly nauseous I feel during ovulation and prior to my period. Its ruining my life. I thought I was alone but seeing that some of you experience the same thing has comforted me some what. I need to get a handle on it. I'm going to try ginger and hope it works. My doctors do not understand!!!
I came across this thread while searching for "nausea during ovulation". I am sick every single month, during ovulation along with a few days before and after my period. I have never experienced anything like this, as I have always had normal PMS and periods. The sickness started about 6 months after my baby was born. I am 33 years old, and was thinking maybe my hormones changed after this last pregnancy. To say I am miserable is an understatement. I am BEYOND over feeling green every single month. I suffer from a tremendous amount of anxiety too, I'm sure than doesn't help. It's at least nice to know that I am not alone. My gyn thought maybe I should go on a low dose of birth control, but I was like to try for another baby after the new year. I have had a zillion tests done, even had a tube down my throat with a camera on the end, just to find out I don't even have acid reflux. Sigh.I hope everyone finds the help they need.
i just found this site cuz i have been suffering from the same problem for so many years. it started some time back and it stopped when i started taking birth control pills. i laid off some years back and it has started again. this time worse than ever. i throw up at the slightest smell of food, perfume or even food in my mouth.
I was reading the comments about "nausea during period" and i wanted to ask. Does anyone feel nausea like when they are on their period? I mean not just the first day or before period? Its just that for like three months I felt sick before my period. I would feel nausea, dizzy but this month for some reason I feel sick during my period and its my fourth day! This makes me wonder if its my period that is causing nausea or not. Does anyone ever get this?? or is it just me?
Oh ladies, I cannot tell you what a relief it is to find this site!
I sure hope each of you finds temporary relief that lasts a good chunk of time so you can rest, when you take the teas and natural/conventional anti-nauseants, anti-inflammatories etc.
When I was 11 years old in the month of May, I began my first menses. The third time the period cycle came around that Summer, I did not stop bleeding for 43 days. I didn't want to worry anyone, and none of my friends had got their periods yet, but finally I was becoming anemic and told my parents and they took me to our family MD (back before we learned the hard way we have to be our own advocates, research, and hopefully always choose natural alternatives above medically pharmaceutical options) and he immediately put me on the pill to stop the bleeding. A nice band-aid to cover up what could have been potentially wrong!! Anyways, the past 22 years since my first period have taken me through 7 ruptured ovarian cysts, severe endometriosis which was operated on successfully, and lots of research that led me to discovering I was ESTROGEN-DOMINANT (which in my readings and discussions with nurses, doctors, specialists, OBGYN, etc. most agree this is the cause for miscarriage, post-pardom depression, infertility, cramping, heavy menses and clotting, ovarian cancer and cysts etc. ANYWAYS, I read in Dr. Michael E. Platt's: "The Miracle of Bio-Identical Hormones" about EVERYTHING you beautiful gals are mentioning, and sort of self-diagnosed myself from his research, studies, and case work. And the past 3 years have been amazing since I began rubbing on progesterone cream daily except during menses! No endo, no hellish cramps, no nausea, no heavy clots, no ruptured cysts (I used to get them like clockwork!!!)
But I am home alone right now feeling so nauseated. I'm trying to be brave and hide it, but nausea can be so debilitating. Teas and "organic outrageous ginger ale" really do help temporarily. The other night as soon as we got home from washing our truck I JUST made it to the toilet to vomit. I have forgotten the progesterone a couple times... But this seems extreme? I'm not pregnant.
Any tips or suggestions?
I was also sick with positively tested: Lyme Disease for 4.5 years, and have been symptom free with NEGATIVE tests since last June thanks to years of IV and oral ABX and natural alternative treatments :) But now maybe I'm noticing the more "normal" things/patterns that women experience who are HEALTHY? I mean, now that I'm not having seizures etc, I can listen to my body talk much more clearly.But this nausea is soooo awful! Mostly during ovulation for me, not so much during menses.  
Thanks for reading my LENGTHY post!
My e-mail: ***@****
God bless you!
Hi darling. I don't experience this, but I know some of my girl friends of all ages do! So you're not alone! Hope you can get to a Naturopathic Physician and get a full hormone panel--super expensive but WORTH knowing where your levels are at :)
Take good care and don't give up seeking answers so you can be even less hindered by the nausea etc.
HUGS~
I'm 33yrs old and I have been having this nauseous feeling before and during my cycle only after my 30th birthday. I have no kids, my cycle is regular but I can't take this feeling.. I'm having pre-menstrual symptoms for the past two weeks and my periods are not due in another two..help!!!!!!
I also am experiencing nausea when I ovulate, I also have ovulation cramps.  It's not the nausea to make me throw up but enough to make me feel ill.  My stomach will then get girgly and the hungrier I am the more nauseous I seem to become.  I am also 33..no children, it's been happening for a few months now.  I also get headaches at well.  Between regular oms, cramps with my period and ovulation sickness, I feel crappy most of the time lately...ugh.  I also suffer from anxiety as well which doesn't help with the issue.
I'm sooo glad i found this. I got sick(like throwing up sick) on my vacation! And i think it was something to do with my period. but im not sure. i've been nauseous ever since i started and even before..and im not really sure how to handle it. Any Suggestions? I'm Also Very Young But I Dont Think that would have anything to do with it
as many have said I am glad I read this blog, I stopped BC pills about 7 months ago to try and conceive and my running joke is I can't wait to get pregnant, have the baby, and get back on the pill so I can feel normal again! Twice a month its like I get hit by a train, with ovulation and before my period, sore muscles, headaches, nausea, fatigue, and now diarrhea (oh that's the best). The worst is all my friends who know we're trying keep saying "your pregnant" to which I have to respond "yeah 3 days pregnant and already I feel great I think not". My only fear is, if this is how I feel ovulating how the heck will I feel when I actually am pregnant...ick
I have the same issue. Every since I got my tubes tied 8 years ago I cant eat certain foods and I am sick 3 weeks out of the month. My dr..a female.. told me to put in an IUD I told her I didnt want to add anymore issues to it.She said thats my only choice.I told her to take out my uterus!! I am sick n tired of this! HELP!!!!
My period returned a couple weeks ago (16 months PP), after 2 cycles of fake-outs (1 or 2 days of spotting).  Though I've been charting my BBT, I'm not getting a clear indication of whether or not I've ovulated.  Today is CD17, and for the past 3 days I've been terribly nauseous.  The symptoms are very similar to morning sickness (Perhaps it's worth nothing that my pre-baby cycles were never like this).  I suppose my body is reacquainting itself with changing hormones??
My daughter is 15 and has been having problems with nausea and throwing up for about a week every month since she was about 10 years old.  Every time she would eat, regardless of what it was or what time of day, she would throw up within 5 minutes of finishing.  She would stay hungry and not really have any symptoms other than not being able to keep her food down. Within a week to week and a half she was better.  We went to stomach specialists, had ultra sounds, gallbladder tests, tried acid reflux medicines and she continued to have problems.  She had her 1st cycle at 12 years old and that was when we realized that each time she would start throwing up and become unable to hold anything on her stomach that her period would come with the next 2 weeks and as soon as she started the vomiting would stop.  The problem is that I’ve had her to different doctors and to an OB but they think I’m nuts.  They finally put her on the pill after I pressed the issue but the side effects she had with the pill were worse than the vomiting.  It seems to really bother the doctor to try different pills, having taken the pill myself in the past I know that not every pill works the same for every woman.  I also wonder if the doctor knows something that I don’t, like maybe the vomiting is healthier for her than the pill.  Another issue we have is that she sometimes forgets the pill and if she misses one day then she’s likely to miss a 2nd day and then we have the same problems all over again.  She has recently become frustrated with taking the pills so she decided to stop taking them altogether and she hasn’t had a cycle in about 2 months and she has been vomiting off and on since about 2 days after her last pill.  Surely there has to be something that can be done.  Would the birth control shot help with this issue?  I am willing to try anything for her to fill better (she has missed the last 2 days of school because she is so weak) but she does not want to continue to take the pill.  Hopefully someone here can help us because evidently the OB can’t and they aren’t aware that there are so many people affected with this problem.
My advice would be to find a new Gynae Dr.
I started on the pill when I was 14 and it didn't work for me after numerous types so at the age of 17.5 I started on the injectable birth control, and whilst I did gain weight within the 1st year of starting it (then stabilised) I experienced irregular periods for approx. the 1st year and then they stopped all together and I remainder on that birth control until I stopped at the age of 27 to TTC. My mum was horrifed to think her 14yr old daughter was on birth control pills but I was experiencing symptoms similar to menopause and when I started the pill and then the injectable contraceptive it really wasn't about having it for birth control, it was to control the symptoms I experienced. After having my daughter nearly 4yrs ago I returned to the injectable contraceptive and my period ceased within 10months and I stopped it approx. 1yr ago to TTC child no.2, but whilst I have not been on birth control all the symptoms I had before starting them returned so I have resigned myself to the fact that my body just doesn't handle my hormones very well and unless I am TTC (or Pregnant) I will be on birth control until menopause.
I hope this helps and your daughter gets some better medical assistance and feels better soon.
Omg...i finally have energy today!!! For nearly 3 months it's all I can do to shower & get to work!!! It is horrible!!! So feeling energized today, I got my monthly nausea bout, the day I started ovulating.  Putting 2 & 2 together, it must be hormone related that I have no energy!!! I'm peri menopausal, I've concluded without dr. diagnosis, but I CAN NOT GO ON LIVING LIKE THIS!!! I need energy & happiness, I've promised never to take hormones , everyone I know who has, has gotten cancer, but I need a remedy!!! Any one please help with suggestions of relief...PLEASE, I HAVE TO START LIVING AGAIN...SO TIRED
Gigi I am 39 and have been trying to have baby number 5 for 9 months. I am giving it one more cycle and I am done. BUT the last few months I have had nausea and dizziness right before O and right before AF with sometimes during O. I take meclinzine when it gets bad, because I have 4 other kids to take care of. I have thought for a while that I was peri-menopausal , but my doctor is not worried. I have suffered from estrogen-dominance in the past and removed xenoestrogens from my life and I felt better, BUT I am soooo freaking exhausted during O and a few days after AF that I drag *** everywhere...cannot even function. My doc put me on clomid last month but I could not take more than 3 due to dizziness and nausea...then this month she wanted me to try again and I only lasted 1 day...I do have to say that I did not have these problems, that I remember when I was on the minipill..so I will be going back on it next cycle if not pregnant this month. Thought I would add to the stories.
Marisabel2...Two months ago I started doing the same thing.  I have never had any major pain or discomfort with periods, eat well, and exercise.  The past two months though, I am nauseated throughout my entire period, fatigued, and cold.  I also take thyroid medication and recently had it changed, so I wonder if that is messing with me.  I am sitting here right now feeling nauseated and I am on day 4.  One of my friends at work suggested I take "Nausine".  It is an over-the-counter drug and is a pink tablet.  Looks kind of like Pepto, but it is something entirely different.  Hope you start feeling better.  This just isn't like me and I'm sure you feel the same.
When I was 13-14 my periods started. Due to the extreme nausea and terrible cramping (I gained 40 lbs all at once too) they gave me birth control.

First off they failed to diagnose an auto-immune thyroid disease that complicates menses or takes them away entirely. No period. Please have a simple thyroid test if you are missing periods as this is often the number one cause in adolescents. Other symptoms are brittle fine hair, patches of dryness on skin where it is not usual, and you can google the rest.

That said I suffer EXTREME nausea (complete with vomiting) due to my hormones. They are not irregular hormones. Like some of you I went through millions of dollars of medical testing. They learned I was sometimes suffering gastroparesis when closer to menses but claimed this could be normal. Second evaluation of the issue said my stomach was fine maybe what they saw in my PMS stage was a fluke. The mystery continued.

I never got a good answer for why I am nauseous all but 1 week of the month. If I do take birth control the symptoms dramatically lessen but only depo - and only because it stops my period entirely. 100% gone. I do not use depo because of weight-gain issues. I am already 200 lbs from asthmatic steroids and getting so sick from this exact issue (reducing my desire to be active or exist) that I could not MOVE.

This condition put me into a state of actual clinical malnutrition despite my weight. For 3 years my doctors were PUZZLED. Malnutrition became anemia. From there I suffered a few ulcers.

--------------------

THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED MY SANITY IS CANNABIS. I know... people think it is bad for you, or your kids, but it saved me from this problem. My diet was able to regulate into small meals 2 times a day (sometimes more often on good days) and it reduced the vomiting.

Yes I heard of estrogen dominance, I have had cysts but they are too tiny for the doctors to care about surgically, but there came a point my doctor said, "I hate to say this but sometimes we have to treat the SYMPTOMS without ever knowing for certain the cause. You are a young adult but as your life continues this might become an issue you hear often from doctors; we are not sure but try this in case it helps."

While I appreciated his candor this is when I went to see my first natruropathy doctor and it was the best thing I ever did. If you want a cannabis licence please see a naturopath doctor with some credentials. Dig around. The cannabis is only PART of the treatment for me. I also take L-theanine and during a kidney infection D-mannose. I was introduced to ginger but also juve-cal and vinegar water. All these things are part of a lifestyle change - and in combination when I do it faithfully every single day I HAVE FOUND RELIEF all days except the 3 days before and during ovulation. The remedy rarely works with any single part of it alone - but in combination they are godsend.

I know your child is only 14 but PLEASE CONSIDER medical cannabis (legal in virtually every state) and a thyroid test not once, but at two different times at least 6 weeks apart. (They missed my thyroid condition due to only one test which was normal and my disease swings back and forth from normal to abnormal often, so you need to be tested at least 2 times during symptomatic weeks preferably).

YOU CAN EAT CANNABIS. You do NOT have to smoke it. If you eat a small amount it can eradicate nausea, promote hunger, and it will not make you dizzy or have other terrible side effects. You do not feel "high" when you eat cannabis UNLESS you are taking a dose measured high enough to specifically feel that effect. You can get cannabutter and cook with it. They make oils with it, tinctures!

Minors can receive a licence if their parent does the shopping for them. I never comment online about things but I want this in the thread because it is a VIABLE option for you people who suffer... especially if it takes you into a state like mine.

It started at 14. For 15 years people told me there was nothing which could be done. At 20 it started to CRIPPLE me after my first child with hyperemesis gravidarum. The anemia struck hard many times. Ulcers developed from lack of eating due to nausea and (in laymens terms for a complicated problem) too much stomach acid. They even thought I had stomach CANCER for a while - they were so positive they did 5 scopes looking for it around my pancreas or stomach. They could never find it, and that was now 3 years ago so I am rather sure if it was cancer it would have presented itself with more complication by now and doctors agree. Pancreatic cancer patients rarely survive 6 months from onset.

So... you might never know WHY you hurt but please consider medical cannabis. Please please please. Love and light, namaste, and good luck my friends.
Mine must be due to perimenopause, but knowing why doesn't help a whole lot!

Something that does help when I can predict where I am in my cycle is deglycyrrhizinated licorice (I take 375mg a day) when estrogen will be too high or low, or when I have signs of it like the awful nausea, breast tenderness and menstrual migraines.

My period came early, so I'm miserable until it kicks in, but it does help. I take it a few days around mid-cycle and then a few days before my period and a few days into it.  

Or take LOTS of soy when estrogen is too high. Don't take non-DGL licorice, though, and make sure to research your meds and other health conditions with any licorice.

I try my best to avoid hormones because my mom died of breast cancer, and the DGL licorice is not bad for her type of hormone-related cancer. So it's a fine necessary evil. I'd rather not take anything!

Vitex may help a lot of folks, too, but it affected my serotonin in a bad way, so I can't take it. If you aren't on an antidepressant, you might give it a shot (daily, all month and it takes a few weeks to work). It does have effects on serotonin and not just hormones, so watch for any added depression. It's often combined with serotonin-enhancing herbs, but I decided to go the licorice route instead.

I hope this helps! I did a ton of research to check it out. I could have missed something, so be careful. I wish more research were done for those of us who can't take hormones like the pill who need relief from hideous menstrual symptoms.
Hi its definatly ovulation, its hormornes ive been going through this for four years ,  doctors waste of time, I now pay private to see a dietician and holistic therapist and she is helping me soooo much, trust me its your hormones! The nausea is when your ovulate, ive been going to docs for 4 years and been fobbed off every time trying to pump me with pills ect,within  15 mins of this lady seeing my food diary and symtoms (symptoms) she told me what it was, since, she told me to get mirena coil out asap which I did and told me to give up smoking which I did (hard but do anything to feel better)and has been advising me on eating anti inflamatory foods !!! I could never work out what caused my nausea an other symtoms (symptoms) but I was just as you are .Daila at the Therapy room, cambridge uk, this women is my savyour.hope you get sorted total sympathy to you ,please go down this route you'll have better luck than doctors lots of love steph x
This is a comment to all the ladies suffering from these types of symptoms- please find an experienced traditional chinese medicine doctor to get better and actually CURE your body of these symptoms without taking anything synthetic or hormones that have negative side effects.  TCM has a long long history of helping women's cycle issues for thousands of years, and it works.  If you live in a place that does not have a lot of experienced tcm doctors, try looking at tcm schools and read up on doctors with a lot of experience in treating women's health issues.  THEY CAN DO MIRACLES AND WILL NOT ONLY HELP BUT CURE YOU AND IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH AND SPIRIT! no kidding, i had psoriasis for decades and it's 95% gone along with a lot of menstrual issues and Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) that i was having.  
Its been 6 months since the birth of my baby and this month has been the first time I've experienced this feeling. I wanted to know if you drank soy milk before this started. If so how long?
I am the same way! Did you find out what causes it?
Hi I have been feeling nausea for several months during ovulation and premenstration. I don't use any form of birth control, where I feel that would be the cause of the symptoms.  I'm even thinking that getting on some kind of hormonal birth control the symptoms would lessen.  I see some women who have also commented are experiencing nausea despite the fact that try are on contraceptives.  We are on the same boat, trying home remedies, adding exercise and healthy diet to help the situation.  I have noticed that exercise is one of the few things that help.  I have also asked my doctor and she said it was all hormonal.