navel rings and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

navel rings and pregnancy

I have had my navel pierced for 10 years now. I am between 4 and 5 weeks pregnant. I am trying to figure out when to take out my piercing. I am wondering if anyone has taken theirs out early in pregnancy and had complications such as infection caused by stretching from the open hole.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am not particularly attached to the idea of the piercing, I just want to do what is healthiest.
Personally I would take it out as soon as you can. I wouldnt want to risk infection from (as you said) the stretching and pulling from the open hole. Take it out now and give it a chance to heal. I know a couple of people that have had no problems and a few that have had it get ripped so bad they cant get another piercing anyway. Its all up to you.
I also had my belly button pierced when I became pregnant. I wore it all the through my pregnancy. I never took it and had no problems.The while did not stretch all.
They sell pregant belly rings, they are longer. Personally, I'd take it out and just re-pierce if you want afterwards. If you end up with a C-section, it will need to come out. The amount of pulling and stretching they doctors do on the abdomen may end up ripping it.
I had my belly button pierced when I became pregnant. I bought one of the pregnancy rings and it worked fantastic. It was a clean sort of plastic ring and it conforms to your stomach to keep your piercing from stretching or closing. I wore it all through my pregnancy and labor. After I had my son I switched back to a regular ring but I have a lot of praise for the one I had during my pregnancy it never bothered me once. I was kind of indifferent like you but it was only I think $7 so I figured why not.