nipple discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

nipple discharge

hi,recently i noticed a greenish discharge from one of my nipple when i press it.i had done my ultrasound and culture. ultrasound shows dialtion of duct and the culture results show normal flora. may i know what does it indicate for??i m worried very much......kindly answer as soon as possible.
The first possibility that is coming to my mind is mammary duct ectasia.It causes one or more of the ducts beneath your nipple to become inflamed and clogged with a thick, sticky substance that's green or black. You can feel relieved by applying warm compresses to your breast. Taking aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, may help relieve some symptoms. If there is any sign of infection like tenderness, redness or warmth over the breast or any associated fever, then antibiotics have to be prescribed. In very severe cases, surgery of the duct may be required.

However, this diagnosis depends upon whether the discharge is coming from one duct or more than one duct. When you express discharge from the nipple, you can see if it comes from just one point (duct) on the nipple or whether there are multiple droplets from several ducts or more. If the discharge is from one duct then it can be due to mammary duct ectasia or breast cancer.Mammogram or ductogram may be required to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.