odour/vagina

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

odour/vagina

I have a ammonia kind of smell in my underwear, my discahrge can sometimes be thick and sometimes it's also very watery which makes my underwear wet/damp and it's really embarresing.. I also don't think my vagina smells normal! if that makes any sense? Sometimes there is a strong unusual smell & sometimes it smells like fish. what is wrong with me? I have a shower every other day and have a clean everyday, please help me ive been to the gu clinic and they could never find anything although i never did a urine sample.
Discharge is normal, and changes at various times during a woman's cycle. Sometimes it;s dry or watery and sometimes it's thick and creamy.
Every woman also has a scent to her vagina - that's normal. It just shouldn't smell really bad or horrible. You describe a 'fishy' smell, that would maybe suggest you have an upset of the bacteria in your vagina. This could be a bacterial infection, or it could just be the bacteria are out of whack. A bacterial infection would need antibiotics.

What do you use to clean yourself down there? Douching is bad, and so is using any soaps or shower gels. You're only meant to wash (maybe with a cloth) with water and nothing else. The vagina is self cleaning so all it needs is a wipe, rinse with water.
You might have a yeast or some other infection.
its probably bacteria vaginosis, a very common vaginal infection, just go see your dr to be tested and treated
Kitkat1306 i wash everyother day with dove soap buh its a non fragrance soap, and wash every day with a cloth & water, i dont kno what a normal smell would be an im very scared all the time that people can smell it, i havr been to the gu clinic & then cudnt find anything, the only thing they didnt test was my urine, its been going on nearly a year i have been to the doctors and they said because i know the smell is there it makrs me more paranoid & try to forget buh i cant cause it smells all the time
Even if the dove soap doesn't have any fragrance you should still not use it. You should just use water. Because you're using that kind of soap, that could be upsetting the regular ph balace of bacteria in your vagina and causing the smell. Everyone has their own scent, like I said, but it shouldn't be extremely strong smelling or be able to be smelled by other people.

I would stop using the soap and stick to just water and see if that makes a difference.
Where you do you live? I know in the UK, where I am from, there is a product called 'Balance activ' which can help with this sort of thing and is available to be bought from pharmacies so could be worth looking into something like that. This is the link to their website:
(remove the space between the dot and the com)
http://www.balanceactiv. com/

If nothing works, then see your doctor again and make sure you're tested for everything. Maybe it is just you being paranoid and that makes you smell it more -  but if you're tested for more things then that might help ease your mind that you're normal.
I have also noticed today that there is a strong kind of fish smell and i think its coming from my bum?:/ as in my underwear its more damp near the back of my pants if that make sense ive tried getting in at doctors today out of hours as i work till 5 but no look!:( i just want it to go away
You need to see a doctor. Strong/offensive smelling 'wetness' coming from your vagina or anus is sign that something is not right.
What I do is wash with dove soap and eat a lot of yogurt. You can also insert PLAIN yogurt into your vagina at night for 7 days and that will keep your ph balance good. GOOD LUCK
Wow, my response is very late, but someone like myself may stumble upon this and could use the advice...with that being said, you may also have LBL (light bladder leak)in addition to an excessively moist vagina. Urine can be the culprit for the ammonia-like smell. This is my issue and so I wear odor neutralizing panty liners everyday and I don't even notice it. Hope this helps, but always consult your Dr. if its really bad and others notice it as well.