"off" vaginal scent always after my period and sometimes before
Every month after my period I get a noticeable and unwelcome scent from my vagina; it usually lasts about a week. I wear cotton panties, I ride my bike 18 miles a day, I eat fruits/vegetables daily in addition to a healthy diet. I eat yogurt with active/live cultures in addition to a lactobacilis supplement daily. I still get this awful smell every month. Now, I'm getting it a week before my period. My boyfriend definitely notices but he understands. I just saw my gyn-o and my pap is normal and she didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I told her about this and all she said was to continue eating the yogurt and recommended the extra bacterial supplements to see if that helps. Well, it hasn't and I really want this smell to stop! I don't know what to do. Do you have any suggestions besides asking my doctor? (she's not the easiest to get a hold of). Any help is welcome :)
you might have bacterial vaginosis. sometimes you can get a not so fresh smelly, kinda like a fishy smell, especially after sex. my dr. took a swab and it has to be looked at under microscope. she gives you antibiotics and off you go. its embaressing i know, but very common. hope i was some help
I too have had the same problem.  It all started when I started taking birth control pills.  I kept having spotting in between periods & at time a brownish (old blood) looking discharge.  I'm no longer on the pill & have undergone surgery to have the Essure implants inserted in my tubes.  I still experience the fishy smell & it is beginning to have an affect on me, especially during intercourse.  A couple of months ago I was treated for bacterial vaginitis & the smell went away.  Right after my next period, the smell returned.  I plan on going back to my doctor because of the smell & because my boyfriend claims that he feels a bit irritated after intercourse.  Once he washes up, the irritation goes away.  Although we've been together 8 years, I feel very embarrassed.
My guess would be since you eat well and getting plenty of exercise that you also take vitimins. Many vitimans can cause you to have a strong smell. It it keeps up I would see my doctor again.
you can use as part of your hygiene a vaginal gel that balance out the ph level of your vagina...try rephresh, available over the counter. it will help with the odor and also with itch.