"off" vaginal scent always after my period and sometimes befo...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

"off" vaginal scent always after my period and sometimes before

Every month after my period I get a noticeable and unwelcome scent from my vagina; it usually lasts about a week. I wear cotton panties, I ride my bike 18 miles a day, I eat fruits/vegetables daily in addition to a healthy diet. I eat yogurt with active/live cultures in addition to a lactobacilis supplement daily. I still get this awful smell every month. Now, I'm getting it a week before my period. My boyfriend definitely notices but he understands. I just saw my gyn-o and my pap is normal and she didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I told her about this and all she said was to continue eating the yogurt and recommended the extra bacterial supplements to see if that helps. Well, it hasn't and I really want this smell to stop! I don't know what to do. Do you have any suggestions besides asking my doctor? (she's not the easiest to get a hold of). Any help is welcome :)
you might have bacterial vaginosis. sometimes you can get a not so fresh smelly, kinda like a fishy smell, especially after sex. my dr. took a swab and it has to be looked at under microscope. she gives you antibiotics and off you go. its embaressing i know, but very common. hope i was some help
I too have had the same problem.  It all started when I started taking birth control pills.  I kept having spotting in between periods & at time a brownish (old blood) looking discharge.  I'm no longer on the pill & have undergone surgery to have the Essure implants inserted in my tubes.  I still experience the fishy smell & it is beginning to have an affect on me, especially during intercourse.  A couple of months ago I was treated for bacterial vaginitis & the smell went away.  Right after my next period, the smell returned.  I plan on going back to my doctor because of the smell & because my boyfriend claims that he feels a bit irritated after intercourse.  Once he washes up, the irritation goes away.  Although we've been together 8 years, I feel very embarrassed.
My guess would be since you eat well and getting plenty of exercise that you also take vitimins. Many vitimans can cause you to have a strong smell. It it keeps up I would see my doctor again.
you can use as part of your hygiene a vaginal gel that balance out the ph level of your vagina...try rephresh, available over the counter. it will help with the odor and also with itch.