ovarian problems

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

ovarian problems

After having tremendous abdominal pain for a few months, had an ultrasound to find large ovarian cyst (7cm) on left ovary.  Dr. wanted to wait a week, and have another ultrasound.  After 2nd ultraound the cyst went down to 4cm, and another was found on right ovary (2cm).  Dr. now wants to wait a full mentsral cycle before doing another ultrasound to see if things look better.  Next option is surgery.  I still have pain and don't feel like cysts are "going away."  Being that I am done having children, Dr. has suggested  if cysts keep reoccuring I should consider having ovaries removed (cysts have been a problem for me for about 16 years). The birth control pills don't seem to be shrinking the cysts.  I am only 36 years old and am reluctant on having my ovaries removed.  Any suggestions?
Avatar n tn
I feel as if the Dr is on the right track.  It they do not shrink then they need to be removed.  Best of Luck!
Avatar n tn
Can they not remove just the cysts off the ovaries but leave the ovaries and everything in tact?
Avatar n tn
That is what I am wondering.  Don't you think I should get a second opinion?  My doctor is suggesting the hysterectomy due to the fact that this cyst problem has been an ongoing thing since I have been 20 years old.  They reoccur and reoccur.  And due to the fact that I am now blessed with four children and don't plan on having more, my doctor suggested considering having ovaries taken out.  I am tossed with the options.  Tired of the pain and discomfort for so many years.  But, not quite ready for "menopause" either.  Life as a woman, NEVER BORING!!!!  Thanks for your help.
Avatar n tn
At one time, I was having problems with my right side. Constant severe pain. I had an ultrasound and it showed that I had a 2 inch cyst on my right ovary. My Dr automatically had surgery done amd had the cyst removed. They had it tested for cancer number one becuase it was so big. Came out normal. What I am saying is I know what you are going though. Hang in there. My cysts was alot bigger and did not have my ovaries removed. I always give this advice on this site, have a second opinion with another Dr before you do something drastic. Another Dr can give you better news. Do not have surgery to remove something of yours without having a second opinion to confirm the first opinion. If the second Dr does not confirm it then don't do the procedure.
Avatar n tn
Hello ladies!  I was in the ER the night before Thanksgiving with all the classic signs of ovarian cysts, however, the ER concentrated on my appendix.  When they finally got around to doing the CT scan, my appendix looked "questionable" to them.  The said there was "free air" and what looked like a "mass" but they weren't sure so they admitted me and waited to see what the surgeon thought.  They never did an US or anything to rule out any other problem.  My WBC's where pretty much normal, but I was soooo sick!  So, the surgeon decided to do the appendectomy on Friday morning and low and behold he told me my appendix was ok (not great, but ok) but the pain was an ovarian cyst that ruptured and my abdomen was filled with blood along with a blood clot!  Needless to say, I'm glad I had surgery and I now have to report to my OBGYN to find out about these cysts.  I'm scared because I'm only 27 years old and have 2 small children, but I know I NEVER want to feel the way I felt that Wed. night again!  Keep strong ladies and remember, we are WOMEN and we can live through ANYTHING!  Bless you all!
KTowne, and Des_a_rae commented on Des_a_rae's status
TTC2006 commented on photo
Des_a_rae Just coasting along here. ... Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals