painful sore on inside of labia majora- not herpes!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I am  19 and have been with the same guy for 3 and a half- almost 4 years. He has never done anything sexual before me and it's the same for me. A few days ago I noticed a pea sized sore that resembled a canker sore on the inside of my labia majora. It is red and crater-like with a white center. It is itchy and sore and I was wondering what I could do to get rid of it and what it could be. I am fighting a sinus infection as well, i'm not sure if there is any relevance. I hurts a lot and is annoying when I am trying to sleep. Please help!
Sounds like an ingrown hair...this forum gets bump questions here all the time, and most of the time that is culprit. You can get these from shaving, or not. I'm pretty sure they clear themsleves up, but Some of the women on here have stated a lack of patience and have pick them..Ouch! if you do that you could risk infection..
the only thing I'm worried about is it's in a spot where no hair grows and I've had ingrown hairs before and they weren't like this. I put antibacterial gel on it. and it doesn't seem to hurt as much. I hope that was a good thing to do.
Why do you feel its not herpes?  Oral herpes can be present on the genitalia.

And sadly, read the STD forum.  Many, many men are not quite as faithful as what they proclaim to be.

A crater-like sore sounds very suspicious for herpes.  You should show it to a doctor before it clears up, which it will in a few days if it's herpes.  Remember that HSV1, the oral type, can be present on the genitals and it doesn't mean he cheated.  

But again, you need to see a doctor to be sure what it is.  Could be something completely different.  But herpes would have to be high on the list.

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_symptoms.cfm
I trust my guy to the fullest. and i've looked at the pictures for herpes and it doesn't look like it.  i'm going to the doctor on friday. hopefully it hasn't  gone away by then. any more information would be nice though. thanks for everything!
Does your boyfriend perform oral sex on you? Herpes one can be transmitted to the genitals if you aren't already infected orally hun.  You must look at all possibilities here.  This is your body & your health.  You should have it looked at within 24 - 48 hours of it's appearance for an accurate diagnosis.  Sadly, by Friday, the Doctor may not be able to give you a clear answer.  If it goes away & comes back, have it looked at it promptly.
i was just wondering. is there any possibilities besides herpes one? I was just wondering if theres anything else i can ask the doctor to test it for. she's just a nurse at my college. and she doesnt seem to have a clue sometimes.
I gave you a link. Read it.  Symptoms aren't always the same, and they are not always obvious.  
Yes herpes 1 can be transmitted to the genitals.  And during an initial outbreak, fever & chills can can be some of the symptoms.  Your boyfriend may not have cheated at all. You just need to go in to this with your eyes open.  It may be herpes from his herpes 1 virus.  People are usually infected with that as children, i.e., not sexually transmitted if it appears on the mouth.
I'm going to see if i can get it checked out earlier now. Thank you for all of your help. I really hope its not as serious as you say it is but i guess being prepared for the worst is the best way to go. oh I have one more question- can taking amoxicilin cause something like this. I just started taking it around the same time that the sore appeared for my sinus infection.
Amoxicillin can cause a yeast infection, but not a "sore" per se such as you described.  However, if you've been scratching down there from a yeast infection and injured some tissue, I suppose that can be confusing.  

It would be best to see a doctor while the sore is fresh.  Usually, if you call your gyn and say you think you might have herpes and need to be seen while there is still a lesion to culture, they can get you in right away.  Otherwise, by Friday there may not be anything there, and you won't know what it was unless and until it recurs.

There is a blood test that can distinguish between the 2 types of Herpes viruses, and it is called the HerpeSelect test.  Unfortunately, you may have to wait 12 weeks for the test to show antibodies developing.  
well he has before. but it's been a while. so if he had a cold/canker sore it could transfer over? I've gotten canker sores before in my mouth, could it be the same thing? or a fever blister maybe. I have had a fever the last couple of days. friday is the earliest i can get an appointment. my boyfriend swears he has never cheated on me and i believe him. it's only one sore too, not a bunch like i've seen. is herpes I sexually transmitted, and what are the symptoms? I'm so confused.
Ask the doctor do look at it.  Test for herpes 1 & 2, make sure they type it.  (If you have herpes 1, you need to be able to distinguish if you have it orally or genitally, that's why you should also have the sore cultured.)  I agree with Peek & also have them test for yeast.  Amoxicillan can cause a yeast infection.
I know it's been over 2 years since you posted, but I just wanted to let you know that I've been through the same thing. I'm 27 now, but I was 17, and had no prior sexual contact, when I had my first outbreak of lesions. I was told I had herpes by many doctors, but they did both cultures and blood tests and they all came back negative. I was out of school and completely debilitated or almost 5 weeks. It really caught my attention that when you said you had taken amoxicillin before this happening. I had bronchitis before it happened to me 10 years ago, but I don't remember what antibiotic I was given. I have had a second outbreak this past week, 10 years later, after having bronchitis again and being prescribed amoxicillin. By the way, I have been retested through cultures and blood tests for all STD's and all herpes. Still, nothing. I'm starting to find some information about rare sores and diseases people have, but none have matched what I have. The scabs have cleared up (fallen off) and now they are 'healthier looking' almost craters. They look like they should not hurt, but it is UNBEARABLE! I have to pee in the bathtub with the shower head mist setting on me, while protecting the sores with my fingers. The intense pain can start at any time I move my legs the wrong way, accidently rest something on my lap, or just start to feel like I need to go to the bathroom. Anyone who's had something the same, knows how to relieve the pain, or can give a diagnosis that seems to be alluding all of my doctors, please let me know!!!
I have the same problem kinda. I have One painful sore that keeps coming back around my period. An I don't have a period often. I lookd at the picture for herpes an it doent look the same. Its painful to pee, wear panties, an to have intercourse.. please help
You should research Behcet's disease.  It is not an STD, but it causes painful, canker-sore like lesions on the vagina matching the description you posted.  It is a serious auto-immune disease that should be treated.
I am thirty years old and just a week ago developed what I thought was a yeast infection. It began as incredible itchiness in and around the vagina. I attributed the "yeast infection" to my using many hygiene products just prior and douching. My family doctor called in a prescription called diflucan for the yeast infection and it seemed to make it worse. I used every over-the-counter cream imaginable and nothing helped. Then the symptoms worsened. I started to have burning when I urinated and on my labia, around my vagina, and on my clitoris. So my doctor called in bactrim for a UTI. Still the burning was not subsiding. Then, I began noticing raised, extremely painful sores on my left labia majora. I finally got in to my gynecologist and upon examining me she told me it's herpes 2. I am devastated. She wrote me a prescription for Valtrex and I was humiliated to have it filled. She did a culture and I have to go back to the doctor in 4 days to find out the results, but I suppose what I'm asking is,"is there any hope at all that it could be something else, could she be wrong???"
About 2 days ago I got a sore on my labia majora.  I shave so I'm used to getting the occasional ingrown hair bump but this is not the usual type bump.  It is round and about the size of a chick pea.  It isn't turning white or breaking the skin but it hurts sooooo much.  Anyone have any ideas?  I can't seem to find anything on the net about this.
Hi, I was just wondering what the outcome from your doctor appt was.  I know its been almost 3 years since your post but I'm hoping you check back here once & awhile.  I seem to be going through the same thing & am hoping that you might have some insight.   thanks :)
last week i had sex with my new partner for the first time, he was kinda rough with me and left me sore, i also shaved that day, but since then iv been extreamly sore all around my labia and lower, iv got painfull spot like bumps where i shave but they dont look like ingrown hairs, i also have 2 very sore lumps either side of my groin they feel like glands, and im starting to not feel well like im getting a head cold, its realy sore to pass urine and im itchy and sore down below all the time, its a week since the symtoms (symptoms) started and they aren't getting better seem 2 be getting worse. could this be a sti? i know i was clean before sex with new man as i get tested, would a sti show up symtoms (symptoms) so quickly after catching it?
Behcet's disease can cause sores on the labia.  My 17 yr old daughter has had this twice.  Very painful and seems to happen when she gets a bad viral infection e.g. sore throat, swollen glands, etc.  She is not sexually active. (Yes, we know that for sure, and no it isn't herpes.)
last week i noticed a few bumps surrounding my anus hole. they are small bumps that are grouped together. i started doing some research and believe they are gential (genital) warts. i made an appointment with my doctor for the next week but then started my period and had to reschedule for the next week. this morning i woke up with a very painful sore on the vulva. its just one and it looks like a cold sore. it only hurts to touch it or if i am walking. any answers?
I am a 33 year old woman married for the past 14 years in a monogamous relationship. A week and a half ago I woke up with a sore neck and swollen lymph nodes on left side. A few days later I had pre-menstrual bleeding after intercourse with my husband. Three days later I started a fever but no other symptoms and then my menstrual cycle started. Following that I became swollen on right side of my vagina and it became painful to urinate. That is when nearly a week later I found a chancrous sore on my labia minora. I have tested negative for all herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia  and hiv. It started to go away but now the sore is increasing with size. I have been on viral meds and antibiotics. Now my doctor is referred to infectious disease doctor.  I have no idea what to think but my neck is still slightly swollen. CT shows no masses but a viral infection. Anyone?!?!
i have little cranker sores around the vaginal area and this is the first time this has happen and i was using the nuvaring. i went to the doctor and she just looked at it a said oh its herpes.  but im not to sure because it doesnt fit the description and the signs isnt the same. painful intercourse, vaginal swelling, and it hurts if i wipe down there. Basically what im asking is there something else it could be or whats going on with my body. i had blood work done two months ago and everything came back fine than out of the blue this happens
if the doctor says its herpes but your tests are negative look into Human Parvovirus B19 Infection.. I found alot of blogs with women having the same symptoms posted above and finally another women posted saying she had the "fifth disease" or B19 Infection. A blood work up is how you find out if you got it, pretty much whats posted below:

The detection of antibodies is specifically the detection of two types of antibodies. One is called the IgM and the other is called IgG. The presence of IgM implies a current or recent infection. The IgM will stay in the body for two to three months after infection. About 85% of immuno-competent patients produce the IgM antibodies.

The IgG antibody is produced by almost all patients of human parvo virus infection. It is produced by the immune system two weeks after the infection has started. The IgG will stay in the human body for the rest of a person’s life. This provides the life-long immunity against the human parvo virus.

You posted over a year ago but if you still check this site I'd like to hear more about your experience with Bahcet's disease.  I've recently developed three ulcer like sores on my left labia that are incredibly painful and am trying to figure out what they could be.  Reading several different message board I've seen Bahcet's come up a couple times.  I have had a horrible problem with frequent outbreaks of canker sores in my mouth since I was a kid and read that that is the #1 symptom of Bahcet's and even had one dentist say it's possible I have an immune problem.  Is this something gynecologist could diagnose?  Would I need to go to a primary care?  Was the doctor familiar with it?  I've read it's very rare.  Of course, I'll get tested for Herpes but I just don't think that will be it and want to know what else to ask about.
I too am having a sort of similar problem. I woke up to a bump like thing on the top/right side of my clitoris, its been a few days.. and its gotten completely white, and not even bump-like anymore. Its more like a cankersore you would see in your mouth. It only hurts if i move in a weird way or wipe/tamper with it. I now have another bump thats starting like a pimple on my right labia majora. It could be an ingrown hair, but i find it very odd that it showed up at the same time as the other one and i have never gotten one before this.
I have one small canker type sore smaller than a pencil eraser on my left labia.  I was worried about herpes but it is only one and only hurts if it is touched.  I have just recently started taking birth control and my period is about to start.  Could it be herpes?  I haven't noticed any puss or drainage.  
I had something similar but went and got it checked out and it turned out to be bacterial vaginosis-believe it or not, our skin has an immune system and when our immune system is down, guess where the chances are of it reacting on-our skin-ANYWHERE!  So turns out that's what it was-no fragrances down there and use cotton underwear. Try not to use tampons during this period of time.
I have suspected that I have bacterial vaginosis for awhile but this is the first time I have has the canker sore looking thing on my vulva. Is that what yours looked like? Can you give me any more information on what your doctor told you about it?
if it feels like alot of pressure or it's more on the inside of the skin, not right at the surface, it could be just a clogged pore. they either go away or pop and drain like pimples. i had a really big one and freaked out and went to get checked out within an hour of finding it. it was just on the inside of the labia majora where all of the regular "healthy" glands are (along the edge of the inside of the labia majora). one of those glands had gotten clogged and infected. i just left it alone and it resolved itself by the next morning. you could also put some polysporene type thing on it.. or if it doesn't go away, it might be a cyst, which is somewhat normal as well.
that sounds alot like herpes : ( swollen glands and feeling crappy.
you can catch it even if he doesn't have any visible signs, and it's even possible that he's never EVER had any visible signs and has no idea he has it, but just passes on the disease invisibly. it's more common in guys to pass it on without ever having a breakout.
you have to get the bumps tested by swab (i know you posted this a while ago, but if it ever happens again.) and you can get a blood test after 6 months, but lots of cities/ states/ provinces refuse to do blood tests because they can come out positive for antibodies, but that could just be cause some kid with a cold sore touched your face when you were 5. or for the more serious reason.
yea, sometimes, herpes decides to emerge when someone's hormones change, or right before your period. if looks like a blister/ cold sore/ canker sore, i'm afraid that might be it. it is common to just have one sore as well. if you ever had one again, i hope you got a swab. or you can get a blood test, but they're not very accurate.
If I become aroused (wet)  and continue about my day without taking time to "clean up" then I get sores that are painful to the touch. They're flat, and red, and I was just wondering if that's normal?
I have a swollen left labia majora with little bumps like 4, I don't go to the doctors til the end of the week can someone tell what that sounds like I am scared to death.  I haven't felt sick or nothing my labia majora is just sore when I walk and it rubs on my leg on when I have on tight pants that rub.  It happened before when I shaved like literally every 2 days and I was seeing this boy too and he would go down on me but he had no signs of anything and said he had nothing which really doesn't make it true.
Im experiencing chancre sores on the lower lip of my labia, barely close to the anus and I also have swollen inguinal node. I have a monogamous relationship with my boyfriend for more than a month now. I am thinking of syphilis or chancroid. I havent seen the doctor yet.  any experience about this guys?
My daughter is 18 & is a virgin. She has a cancer looking sore inside & outside of her labia. She's in excruciating pain. She's been sick a lot lately. One thing after another. What is this? How can she ease the pain?
*canker
The exact same thing is happening to me! I've been with this guy six months, but the last time we had sex, the very next day it was sore and itchy down there, and the day after these sores opened up, three at first, but now a week later, it's five. They hurt extremely bad all the time, any movement- walking, sitting, anything- all hurt- urinating is unbearable. I also developed two marble-sized swellings under the skin on either side of my groin, and they're painful to the touch. I also just got over a UTI, and for about two weeks I was having unexplainable, severe stomach and chest cramps. I don't have health insurance right now because I can't afford it, the appointment and medicine for the UTI cost me $130, so I didn't go in for the stomach cramps, and I'm hesitant about going in for these sores, but I'm afraid I won't be able to go to work pretty soon, because they're getting worse. If anyone has any idea what this is and how to deal with it, please help!
Have any of you researched Chancroids before?  For some of you ,this sounds like it could be just that.
I have the same problem I've never had sex and nothing has touched down there except tampons haha but I'm really scared I haven't told my mom about it but it does look like a canker sore and it hurt bad to urinate and sit down I wish I knew what it was
The same thing happened to me when I was about 15 years old. I was sick with a bad case of the flu and took a Z-pack. The day after I started taking the drug, I noticed a penny-sized canker sore right inside my vagina. At the time, I wasn't at all sexually active and I had never had fever blisters or canker sores anywhere else in my body (i.e. on my mouth). I hadn't even kissed anyone before.  I was horribly embarrassed (not to mention in pain), and I didn't tell my parents or visit a doctor about it. It did clear up in a couple of weeks and I haven't had an episode like that since. To this day, I still don't know what it was, or what caused it -- my high fever, the Z-pack, or something totally unrelated.
Hi, I have the same sounding thing. What did the doctor say if you don't mind me asking?
what you have in your groin which you feel is a lump is a lymph nodes. this nodes are normally seen in our body and it cant be palpated but when infection is present you will be able to palpate this nodes......
Hello Everyone!!

Ok what most of you are describing is something called Behcet's Disease.
Now Behcet's Disease is not an STD, but it does cause painful sores in the Eye, Mouth, Skin, Lungs, Joints, Brain, Gastrointestinal. and ladies the Genitals. Genital sores affect more than half of all people with Behcet's Disease!!! In a Female Behcet's Disease are — painful genital ulcers that develop on the vulva. These sores are very painful and it will sometimes hurt to pee, wear underwear and somethimes walk or sleep. I know this because I have Behcet's Disease! After being tested for every STD out there I began to do some research and I found what I had all along. With my new information I went to my doctor and she confirmed it. I was so happy to have a name to my problem. I always new it was never an std, do to the fact that I had them while I was a virgin. But it never hurts to get tested for std's ladies no matter if your partner says they have never cheated on you. It's good to rule out all possibilities and to make sure You Are Healthy!

So with that being said I wish all of you ladies the best and a Safe and Healthy Sex Life!
i recently starting dating a new guy. we have had sex twice. the first time i was a little sore after but fine and then the second time, 4 days ago, it was a little on the rougher side and i was very sore after. Now i have several of these crater looking bumps that are very painful when i walk, clothing rubs against or when i urinate. Ive started using vagisil which has helped with the pain but its been a few days and it seems to be getting worse not better. I cant get into my doctor for as few days so im just wondering if anyone has any ideas what this could be or if there is any thing else i can do for the pain.
I thought I'd shed some light on this matter. A few people have suggested Bechet's but there is another disease which is more likely if there is no evidence of canker sores in the mouth simultaneous to a genital outbreak. I have been diagnosed with Lipschutz Disease, a rare disorder that causes deep ulcerations in the vagina with occasional evidence of pus, bleeding and severe pain when urinating, especially in people with no sexual contact. Unfortunately the only pain relief is topical anaesthetic and corticosteroids which must be prescribed by a doctor.

Perhaps some people may want to consider this. There's no known cause but it does get better within weeks. As for pain relief, I suggest going to the toilet in the bath/shower using cold water and to use the cold setting on the hairdryer in order to keep the area dry for faster healing.
I have just recently had a single sore as you have described but I am 52 years old and I'm reading its mostly in younger women.  I'm curious if anyone else my age is experiencing this late in life.  Also, does it come often?  Is it usually around your cycle time and could it stop after menopause?
I have had a debilitating sore on my urethra for over 10 years.  I have been to multiple docs including Mayo.  It is a mystery to all docs what the sores are. For the past 2 weeks the sore has gotten twice as big and I am in so much pain I can barely move. I do not know what to do.  I am in so much pain.  Please will someone let me know if they have the same thing and what to do about this.  I cannot go on like this.  It is taking over my well being.  My life.  Please respond with help!!!!!
7 months ago I had a giant canker sore (or should I say chancre) on my right labia majora. It was basically perfectly round and maybe a little smaller than a quarter. There was also I similar one further up in the vagina. Got cultured for herpes & tested negative. Tested for syphilis too, but we were all pretty sure syphilis was already ruled out because the syphilis chancre normally does not hurt, while mine very much did. Still have no idea what happened. Still am super paranoid it was herpes...looked nothing like it though. Had the flu-like symptoms beforehand though. I always have just hoped I may have Lipshutz Disease (as talked about above). Any progress anyone?
someone should really show this page to a doctor and maybe we will start getting answers :(