painful swollen lump on labia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

painful swollen lump on labia

I have a very painful swollen lump on the left side of the vaginal are right in the crease of my thigh.  I had one within the last 2 weeks on the right side, but it wasn't as big.  I kept mashing it, thinking it would drain and be ok, although I couldn't see that it had a head. Nothing came out.  I started taking some antibiotics that I had hoping to clear it up. I can't say what happened, but it finally went away.

Now I have one on the left side, that is bigger and more painful.  This is the 3rd day.  I am taking antibiotics again.  I have been putting neosporin on it.  I've also taken tylenol hoping to help with the pain.  So far, nothing helps. It hurts to sit, and walk.

Can anyone tell me what this is and what to do for the pain?

I didn't want to have to go to the Dr.  Of course, that's embarrassing, but if it doesn't go away soon, I feel I must see a Dr. to see what's going on.

I appreciate any help and/or home remedy any one may have.
My grandmother used to wrap fat meat around a sore to draw out infection.  She is not here anymore and I don't know if it is safe to try this or not.
Honey, do go to the doctor.  What if it's something that really needs to be nipped in the bud before it becomes a full blown pelvic infection that harms your future fertility?  Depending on what it is, it's quite possible that the treatment is not the pills you took, or you didn't take them long enough, etc.  As far as the fat meat goes, when it is in such a complicated place and could be anything from an infection to an STD to a hernia, you should see the doctor before trying any more home care.  Good luck!
dont be embarassed !
your body is your temple and going to the doctor means that you are caring for your temple and seeking help.

good luck
Hi, I had the same problem about 2 weeks ago, its call a bartholins cyst, placing a warm cloth on it will help along with sitting or soaking in warm bath.  It had swollen on my right side its was really painful for me couldn't walk, lay down, or sit. after 2 days it burst a day later i saw my Dr. and she said it still needs drainage on Wed. i am going to a ob gyn.  Since it burst I haven't felt any pain and I don't even feel it on my labia anymore.  So try the warm cloth and warm bath, but i would still go to see your family Dr. b/c you u can never know.  Good Luck!!!
The lump could be a sebaceous cyst, OR, if it's down further, near the vagina, it could be a Bartholin's gland cyst.  From what I've read online, Bartholin's cysts should be excised instead of lanced, as an incision and drainage does not remove the actual cavity/sac that the cyst is in.

Since you describe yours as being large, your doctor should have little trouble finding it (unline my tiny, 4 mm sebaceous one.  LOL)

Good luck!  I would advise taking yourself to the doc to get proper treatment.  Then, you can get on with other things.

I know how you feel (as do many other ladies who've experienced these same troubles).

Hoosier
I had the same problem a few days ago. it started on thursday and got bigger on friday, but still no pain. by saturday it had swollen and it was uncomfortable to walk and sit and lay down. i didn't wanna tell my boyfriend, and when he wanted to have sex i told him i was on my period. embarrassment was one of my issues. after it swelled so much that i couldn't sleep and i couldn't move and every step i took was a hell of pain, i went ahead and told him, but not before looking for answers online. what i found and suspected came true. he took me to the ER and the doctor there told me it was a bartolin's cyst. he went ahead and explained a little more of what it was and why it was there, and was very nice, then went ahead and drained it and stuff. gave me some pain killers. he put a little tube there so it keeps draining and i'm supposed to have it removed within the next few days. the pain is pretty much gone, just a little discomfort because of the tube, but that should be gone shortly, and i can finally sleep and walk around and my life is pretty much back to normal. believe me. it's embarrasing, and things like that, but once you have it treated you feel sooooo much better that you just don't care about that any more. it's completely normal, happens to a lot of women, and it's easily treated, so if anything like this happens, just go to the doc right away, it'll save you time, pain, and give you peace of mind :)
I know this sounds gross, but I didn't have the money for a doctor and my friend (not knowing where the infection was exactly) suggested garlic, so I placed slices of garlic on a bandage and placed it against the infected area.  It worked!  Over the last couple of days the garlic drew the infection out, and I went from having a huge lump and a slight fever on Thursday to having a normal temperature yesterday.  This morning I took off the bandage and the infection was not only at a head, but was 1/3 it's original size!  I was able to drain quite a bit of it as well as finding the ingrown hair that started the whole thing... but if you can afford it, the doctor's visit takes a lot less time and hastle.