pelvic bone protruding?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

pelvic bone protruding?

when i started discovering my body as a young girl, i realized something different from everyone elses. my vagina looks really bony. when i lay down flat, my pelvic bone is protruding out. even standing up, i can see a big bump. more than normal from what i have seen. i have been told by friends "oh you have big vagina" and it really bothers me. i am embarrassed to be intimate. i did research but didnt come across anything. i'm 25 now and am still embarrassed to go to a doctor. i dont know what the problem really is. i used to crack my lower back, i dont know if that would do anything to it? but i dont feel any pain or anything. just physically, its very different, bony, and embarrassing from what i see. i've been told by several family members " are you wearing a pad" because its that noticeable. i know that if it was from birth, my mom would notice. because now they tell me things like you have fat, big, vagina. i really need to do something about it, but need to know what? and need to know what the problem really is and what may have caused it? and what kind of doctor i should see. and how i should explain it. please answer my questions asap. i cant take it anymore, and i find it embarrassing to share it w/ anyone else. im so glad i found your site, after many years of suffering.
There is a Wikipedia entry with a side photo of a woman's mon pubis, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mons_pubis.  If this is what you are talking about (because a "vagina" is inside you, your friends couldn't see it, in other words, they are mis-using the term), you might just have a slightly differently shaped pelvis, which has put your mons pubis more toward the front.  There are so many different shapes to the human body that it is probably nothing.  Try not to be discouraged! :)  As for what kind of a doctor to talk to about it, start with an ob-gyn.  They have seen so many women's pelvic regions that it really wouldn't surprise them if you had a clown face tattooed on it.  Explain your concern that your pubic bone seems to be jutting forward noticeably, and ask if you should possibly see someone about it, either because it scares you as maybe being abnormal or because you want to check the shape for future childbearing.  I suppose if there was something really unusual about it, they might refer you to a bone doc if they thought the problem was the underlying skeleton and not just a fatty pad under the skin.  As far as being intimate is concerned, believe me, men are pretty enthusiastic about the sight of a naked woman, and don't give a darn about things we obsess with every single day.  Please write back after you look at the Wikipedia entry and let me know if I am understanding your concerns correctly.  Annie
thanks for the comment annie, i appreciate it.
yeah maybe i didnt use the correct word. but umm yeah that is the area that im talking about. but its not the soft, fleshy part. its actually the bone in that area.
thanks for your comment annie, i really appreciate it.
well maybe when i said vagina i didnt really use the right word. i guess i should've said pelvis or something to not to confuse. but umm thats the area im talking about. but its the bone beneath that area that is bothering me.
OK, so you go to the ob-gyn, and say, "I get the comment every now and then that my pubic bone sticks out unusually far.  Is this true, and if you think so, what concerns should I have about it?" (i.e., how normal is it, is there any issue for childbirth, can something be done to reduce the shape and should it be?)

I was also thinking about your situation and realized that a lot of the reason many of us don't get that comment is that we have fat tummies between our navels and our pubic region that disguise the bone.  Are you particularly flat-tummied? (You lucky thing) If so, it is possible some simple weight gain would make a difference.

If the doctor says it's normal, there are doubtless clothes that accentuate that part of the body and clothes that do the opposite. (I once wouldn't even come out of the dressing room at a shop because the darn bias-cut, clingy knit dress outlined all parts of my "place" so clearly that it looked like I had a cinnamon roll stuck in my underwear, and I'm not even all that prominent there).  So you might try some experimentation in the wardrobe department.  Check especially the fit of pants so they don't pull on your front.

Finally, nothing gets a guy excited like thinking the words "big, fat vagina."  So even if the doctor says it's entirely normal, I would try not to let it bother you if your gfs say it.  Say, "Oh, you like my peach?"  (guys think that kind of thing is exactly like a juicy peach).
I was having sex with my wife & I pushed my penis all the way in & hit at the tip a bone like fealing.. Has that ever happend to anyone.. or am i the only 1.
You probably hit her cervix.  It feels like the tip of a nose.
How far in is this cervix, & does every woman have this bonelike tip. This happens a lot while she is on top, sometimes while im on top. ...
Weve been married for13 years & I am learnig a lot abuot the womans body that I NEVER KNEW ABOUT...Its cool.
In college, my girlfriend had the same shaped pubic bone that you're talking about.  I was researching it because I was curious it had a special name.  I loved it!  She was more orgasmic than any woman I've been with since and I was wondering if it was the shape of her pubic bone that made the difference.  Consider it a blessing, it's a great turn on!
I have the same problem and I have been researching to find a way to reduce the size... So far all i can think of is surgery... I am willing to do that but I am still looking for an alternative I'll fill you in if I find one, Just dont worry about it, but till then the wardrobe change is your best bet :)
Thanks, but the original concern wasn't mine, I was responding to someone else.  I would never recommend surgery.
Well did you find a alternative?
You seriously put a smile on my face after reading about your change room dramas and you gave a great reply to 'oh i dunno', I totally agree. Men love them in all shapes and sizes! I have protruding shoulder bones and always wished mine were nice and round and normal but I just disguise them with clothes too and focus on my parts of my body that I love.
Your shoulders are alittle different from a mons pubis... I need to find an alternative to surgery because that is the last thing i want to do but if i have to thats all i got left.. Its a part of a womens body that makes her feel feminine and seperates her from the man... I geuss its hard to understand if you do not experience it :(
I am 33 years old, and my mons pubis (correct terms right?) is huge.  It's not my pelvic bone protruding, it is just fatty.  I have been overweight for the past ten years and have managed to lose 45 pounds in the space of two years.  I exercise, try to eat right, and am still losing weight everywhere except in that area.  I do not want to have liposuction, I would like to find an effective exercise.  Any suggestions?
if it makes you feel any better...every woman in my family (including me) have it :) ...so to me it's pretty normal...it's not fat cause i can feel the bone when i'm lying on my tummy
Oh, it's fat alright.  I do appreciate your response.  It did make me feel better.
my pubic bone sticks out pretty far and i can feel the bone right away.. when i lie down it looks really weird because it is not flat...and i thought i was the only one with that but i guess not..thats really good to know i guess i shouldn't worry
i am 20 years old and first noticed that i looked different 'down there' to most girls when i was about 16. Since then i've found ways to hide it including changing the way i stand (sticking my butt out so that my pubic bone doesn't show) and being very conscious of the way that region looks in clothes (ie. paying attention to the cut of pants and dresses/skirts and not buying anything that accentuates that area).

anyway, i just wanted to say since i discovered my 'uniqueness' i've felt very self-conscious about it and always felt weird and unfeminine, especially in a bikini, but after reading this forum i feel a lot better knowing im not the only one and that im not weird. so thanks :)
I was 14 when I noticed my vagina wasn't "hidden" like other friends when we played strip poker or some such silly game ;) Like, my outer labia don't cover my vagina. I was bothered by it, but not enough to want to change it (sometimes I think it's too overtly sexual, other times I'm like, well it IS a sexual organ and my fiance must love that it's so out-there!).

At the same game of strip whatever-game-it-was, I also noticed one side of my inner labia was really long! I was mortified ever since and had that surgically cut at age 21 (I'm 24 now), so it's even with the other side.

It's only recently I noticed that my mons pubis (that right?) sticks out too. Don't know if that's related to anything else, but yeah it kinda freaked me out a bit, I thought it's probably visible and maybe people think I'm some sort of hermaphrodite. But you know what? I'm not bothered anymore! I'm sure no one but me notices it!!! And in fact, I recall noticing it in other women, and not thinking horrible things. I just noticed because I have the same thing. And I noticed, then my thoughts changed to something else, I didn't sit there thinking "Oh my god, she looks like she has something down there" or "That's ugly". I just thought "oh, her bone sticks out..... lalalalala"

Let's not be so hard on ourselves :):):) Like I keep telling myself: there's other things we can improve besides our physical appearance!
Love to all
xxx
i found this site b/c i recently noticed a protrusion in my pelvic bone...it has made me really depressed b/c simultaneously my butt has become longer and less shapely.  it seems like my pelvic bone has dropped and changed the shape of my body. i am 27 so it may just be that my body is changing due to time.  the only thing i have done differently is to start running everyday (training for a marathon) and i'm thinking, "could this really be the result of creating a healthier lifestyle?!" in any event, i have started to see a chiropractor b/c i read somewhere that it relates to the curvature in your back so we'll see how that works out and i will post a future comment either way.  
Would those women posting comments on large female pubic bones, look at this page and join in the discussion there. Thanks.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/38423
so yea my pubic bone sticks out too.... i'm 21 and i have always thought there was something seriously like deformed with it.... i have read all of the comments and such here but does anyone know what the real reason for this protrusion is ? ? ?  i hate it ... it's so embarrassing !!!! please help !
hey everyone, i have read all of the comments and I can relate to how all of you are feeling.  I actually have went to a plastic sugergon and he said that he doesn't go that far and he didn't want to do it cause he has never done that before, so he sent me to a gynecologist and he said that i look normal, but i don't think he understood where i was coming from! I was actually pretty upset with him, b/c when he looked at me (down there) he went really silent and didn't say anything for a while! so now i found this website and i thought i was the only one.  But thanks to this, I know i'm not the only one.  I'm goin to keep researching and let you all know what i've came up with
i have the same thing..finally i find a website that has what im looking for..now im relieved lol..

so this isnt a big problem then is it? i never thought it was, and i dont think mine is that big. it just looks like a really big bump when i push up. i was worried i had some type of problem or something.
hey i have the same thing, and my 'friends' when i was younger used to make fun of me for it, i'm 23 now, and i think it's gotten even more protruding, but i have back problems from an accident and think it might be related. so maybe there's something in that?

oh and to the girl who changes the way she stands to help conceal it:
DO NOT STICK YOUR BUTT OUT WHEN YOU STAND!!!
that has the same effect as high heels on your lower back, which is pretty much to compress it. it will lead to back problems later that can affect the rest of your body (if even one little part of your back is not straight, it can affect everything else, ie. pain, trouble with digestion, maybe even trouble concieving)
so don't bother hurting yourself just for other people, and their views.

yoga might help straighten your back out, or maybe try an osteopath.

oh and ps. skirts work the best to camoflague it.
pps. boys do not care. they're just thrilled you're naked.
I also have a protruding bone in my pelvis.  I have also got all the rude comments and I never wear a bathing suit bottom or tight pants.  I think the bone that protrudes out is called the pubic symphysis.  My best advice is to summon all your courage and go to your obgyn and tell them you can't stand it and want it to be normal.  I need to do the same thing!  Apparently it's not as rare as we thought. I would imagine it can only be fixed by surgically breaking the bone.  I hope things work out for you!
i have this problem too. im 17, 164cm and 46kg and i discovered this last yr, when my brother caught me in my underwear and said" SIS YOU LOOK LIKE YOU HAVE A ****!" n i was like "yea i do!" :O

haha well it doesnt bother me much cos it doesnt protrude with the clothes i wear. i don't know if its connected but i once went for an xray scan of my spine and they discovered that my tail bone did not interwine properly. the doctor said it was normal though and would not cause any problems.
So glad to find out I'm not alone.  Oh, and to nett64, you're an idiot, this is a women's health community!  I know alot of you say it doesn't bother you and to not stress about it, but I do stress and I want to be able to wear a bikini and not have to "hide" behind certain clothes.  I'm not over weight, but that bump is still there.  To me it's not about being vane, it's about feeling comfortable in my own body, and not that that's the only part of me I'd change, but it's probably the first.  If anyone finds out more about this, please post again!!  Thanks
I'm so glad I found this thread, I'm similar to all of you, I cant really wear jeans as I cant find any that fit properly, I'm only petite but have high waist which doesnt really help matters. I'm a life model so obviously it doesnt bother me that much and the students dont gasp in horror at me so I just want to reassure you all that not everybody notices, or if they do they dont judge. If I could fix it I would, I've learnt to wear certain things and at work to pose in certain ways. Dont think I'd consider surgery..wouldnt rule it out. It does get me down sometimes but I do feel happier having found that other women have the same issue. Thankyou.
Im a 37 year old male who has always found (the protruding Mound) very sexy. To me nothing more sexy then a women in tight jeans with a protruding mound, So you girls...Dont change a thing...
My pubic bone also sticks out really far, but I think it is related to my tailbone injury when I was 14 because I didn't really notice it until afterward.  I fell on my tailbone while roller skating and it was bruised and painful and since then it is shaped differently.  It hurts to lay on flat ground on either my back or my stomach because both my tailbone and pubic bone stick out.

I used to be really self conscious about both and was embarrassed to be intimate.  Now that I have found a very sweet boyfriend who tells me I'm gorgeous, I try not to worry about it.  It kinda ***** wearing bikinis because it is visible when they are too tight, but if you keep looking, you can find bikinis that flatter your figure.  Also, I am 5'7" and 115 pounds so I am pretty much bony all over lol.  

I am 20 now and last year was diagnosed with endometriosis which is a chronic and painful disease.  After having surgery to remove some endometric cysts from my ovary, I decided to just accept my large pubic bone.  First, every woman looks different and this forum reassured me that I am not alone.  Second, surgery is painful, expensive and should only be done if it improves your health.  Third, when I told my boyfriend it bothered me he called me crazy because he says I have a beautiful body and we have hot sex too :D

I know that not feeling feminine is really hard on your confidence, but if the only way to change that is to put yourself through a lot of pain, don't!  You need to learn to accept what you look like and tell your friends and family to do the same.  Having a large pubic bone definitely does not mean you have a "fat vagina" because they are totally unrelated.  I wear a size 0 or 2 so I doubt that any of it is due to fat.  If you are really thin, gaining some weight would probably help which is what I've tried.  

You should also try on many different clothes when you go shopping.  I spend a lot of time looking for jeans that fit.  Just don't get discouraged if something doesn't fit right, move on and keep looking.  Trust me, you can look great and hide that area you are self conscious about, it just might take a bit of effort :)
I have this too!

I used to be embarrassed by it because I was a competitive dancer and my extremely bony AND fatty pubic area resembled the male "package".

Now I couldn't care less. Yes, my pubic bone limits my fashion choices (any tight fitting skirt or stretchy pants material (like lycra) is a dead giveaway to my "unique" figure), but more than one partner has mentioned that my "mound" is sexy.

Forget what other people think and embrace your body, because unless you take drastic measures, it's gonna be this way for the rest of your life.

There are still days I hate my mound (especially when it means I can't buy or wear clothes I like), but overall, it's okay.

There are FAR more unsightly problems to have, be thankful your "flaw" is one that is typically covered by clothes! Life is good if your biggest worry is the shape of your pubic mound - try and think of it that way.

:) we all need to love ourselves a little more.
I love the protruding pubic bone on ladies especially if they have a lot of hair on it to rub my face on. It is so sexy poking out there. The first one I ever saw was a girl in a black sheath dress and she seemed to be aware of it and pretty proud of it to. I know it got me hard. I've played with a few since and I just love them. Don't worry about it ladies. There are guys that are crazy about them. Just wait till you find one and you will!
have you had any real progress? i just joined and it seems u havnt posted in a while
Finally - a bit of comfort in knowing that others have the same problem as me. I never thought I was any different until when I was 16 and had my first boyfriend. We were lying on our backs in the garden chatting and he suddenly sat up and pointed and said what's that lump ?! Like it was the most disgusting thing in the world. Since then I've been so paranoid about it, like other girls walking around trying to stick my bum out so it curves in abit more. You see loads of people on tv and magazines in underwear and they are completely "flat" and just curve under perfectly. If I stand sideways to the mirror, I have this big fat sticking out lump. It looks like a penis from the side. I'm nearly 30 now and just keep thinking about surgery. I asked my last partner if he thought it sticked out and he had a good look and then a very unconvincing no came out. I knew he thought I looked like a freak
I too have a protruding pubic bone and have often wondered if it was related to some sort of spinal deformity. I have never worried about intamacy because of it but it does bother me. I have a daughter and yes, she has it too. I worry about her taking gymnastics because it will be so noticeable compared to the other girls.
there is nothing like a protruding labia.its very attractive to men and it feels amazing to rock back and forth on it
I am 13 and I have this problem. It may seem weird that I'm already researching it, but I hate having it. I am on the high school girls swim team and we wear tight suits and it stands out and I think I am the only girl on the swim team that has this problem. People always say be happy with your body everyone is unique but I don't want my bikini area to look like I have a guys junk!
I got a username for this site and everything just to say this: thank you. I'm sixteen and never really noticed that I was different from other girls until my "good" "friend", haha, told me that i looked like I had a pad on when we were at the pool. For the past year, i've been so self concious, trying to research on line I don't even know how many times. i used to be so confident in bathing suits, now the whole time I feel embarrassed. We also had some spandex in club volleyball that were EXTREMELY ill fitting. Everyone looked like they had a package, but I was probably the most self-conscious. hahaha. I'm so relieved i found this post and that I'm not some awful rare species that they'll feature on discovery channel one day.
To those of you thinking of surgery, click on the Related Discussion: Large Female Pubic Bone. There's a lady on there who said surgery is not worth it at all: painful, slow healing, very expensive, and barely noticable results.
Thank you all, now I feel like i can get on with my life. Hope you all do the same.
PS: one more story so i'm getting it all out to someone. I was at my friends birthday party and we were dancing, doing like a grinding line, train thing, which is gross and stupid but anyways. I was so afraid the guy in front of me would be like "Zach is that you?" That I probably will continue to worry about but hopefully i wont be in that situation too often
http://www.wonderhowto.com/wonderment/is-possible-0122153/

You guys it is normal to have a protruding pelvic bone! 20% of woman have it.   Check out the link I pasted above, that girl definitely has one because Ive seen people in yoga do moves similar to hers (though not as intense) and their pelvic bone doesnt stick out like hers.  and she rocks it and no one has commented on it!
also, I was super afraid of ever getting naked with a guy because of my protruding pelvis and my current boyfriend doesnt mind at all.  He even said he liked it.  So just remember that if you are with someone who loves you they really wont care!!
I think its sexy myself. I like to try to scratch it from the insidefor my lady by laying her on the edge of the bed and pushing straight up while rubbing her clitoris.She loves it, I love it. Its all good. Dont be ashamed of an oversized mon pubis, enjoy it.
i really truly believe that (in my case anyway) and ask ur selves this..have you been molested? ) i was molested through out my entire childhood, i remember how it hurt when he put his fingers in me but since it had gone on for years i believe that having a finger in my not fully developed vagina since i was like 3 or 4 years old up till i was 16 changed the way my pubic bone looks.  i really believe that.  my two daughters and my mom and grandmother look normal, i noticed i was different at a very very early age.  it is not "normal"  
i also have it..this weird protrusion..and i cnt dare t wear swimming costume in ths case.. so am planning to undergo surgery..is it possible??hope its nt v.expensive.i am already ugly n this thing, makes me wanna cry, why me..
I too have a large sticking out pubic bone,  and was traumatized to find  that my fiance and I could not have sex because his penis was a little too short to reach me.   We broke off the engagement.  Needless to say this almost ruined my life.   Has anyone else had this problem?
my mom died when I was 9(I'm 14 now) so I live with my dad.So I don't have anyone to talk to it about. I started to notice my pubis bone was protruding when I was 13.I am so emberrased, all my friends wear such cute clothes and I can't because I have to hide my hideous mound): I hated it. I had to wear jackets all year to hide it .There is this boy I really like it and I want him to be my first boyfriend, but i'm to emberrased,because i'm afraid he is going to try to hold me tight and notice that I have a large pubic bone. I wish my life was normal.I wish I could be like the girls on the victoria secret commericals because they have flat vaginas,I'm always so depressed,I thought I was the only one I am so happy I found this website. so please help me
surgery is one solution bt too expensive plus pains..i heard..so stand straight and see that u carry around a good posture. tc...has anyone noticed to have small bums due to it....i have small buttocks and have this protrusion.
Hi, this forum is great. Listen, I also have a protruding pelvic bone, and I'm pretty thin, 5'7 and 120 lbs and my bone really sticks out. I was very self conscious about it but it's actually become a feature I'm comfortable with and the boyfriends don't mind it- in fact they love it. I've ne'er heard a complaint! One explanation of this protrusion may be due to the position of the uterus, and therefore the position of the vagina. Supposedly, a retro-inverted uteruswill tilt the vagina in a direction that is more sensitive in certain sexual positions and it occurs for about 15% of women. Other than hightened sensitivity in certain positions, pregnant women usually end up giving birth via c-section. My mother also had this..that might an answer and there's nothin wrong with it! Do you think that may be a possibility? I'm curious because I think thats the reason for mine but haven spoken to a obgyn about it yet.
I can honestly say that I feel less freakish knowing that there are other women out there who have the same "look" as me. I'm 17, and I've been stressing over my pelvic bone for quite some time. At first I didn't think too much about it because my mom has the same thing. So, I figured it was something genetic and normal for every other person. But now that I'm getting older I feel even more self conscious and aware that the girls around me don't look the way I do. I wear really dark jeans to try and make everything blend in. I refuse to wear a bikini and resort to swimming shorts. I find myself constantly crossing my legs in class so no one will notice my "deformity". It's gotten to the point where I don't do certain sports because you have to wear spandex! Its gotten crazy. I worry about what's going to happen when I get a boyfriend. Do guys find this revolting? I don't want to hide who I am, yet I can't find it in myself to be proud of it.
So I just found this site and I'm in the same boat, I can't even wear a bikini and need a cover!!!!!! Do you also have this problem with clothes and that you need a certain style of dresses?
I am so pissed off I can't wear a bikini, I have a good body and can't show it off. To this day my husband cant tell because I hide it with clothes but I will not stand in front of him because of this. He always asks why I do not wear bikini bottoms and he gets upset!! I need to do something and want a answer!!!!
I'm 16 and I have the same problem, I want to lose weight on my stomach but I'm scared it will show up more:-/
I always compare myself to other girls knowing I shouldn't but I just can't help it. I'm even embarrassed to speak to my mom about it, before me and my friend were joking and we called it a package but ever since then I'm proper cautious when it shows through clothes, if anyone knows anything other than surgery please let me know x
I found this page while I was looking for examples of other women who have a larger than average mons pubis. My girlfriend has a rather larger pubic mound and she is very self conscious about it. I attempted to find other women like this to re-assure her that it's not abnormal. Plus, I find it very attractive, and many of my guy friends agree with me!

I know women sometimes have issues with their bodies, like most people. But ladies, just as I tell my girlfriend now, there are guys out there who find that mound pretty dang attractive.
i m 22 and i too have this mons pubis.. i first discovered it when my cousin sis asked me whether i was my periods and i wore a pad.. later when i watched porn i found that all of them had flat pelvis.. my boyfriend also said while having sex that i had a fat *****!!! all these made me worry cos till date i was thinking it was only me.. it doesnt look bad either, it looks like the pelvis of a little girl.. usually little girls would have such protruding pelvic area...!!! but still i wanna be flat as i dnt hav fat around my tummy its shows when i put on tight pants!!
i have had sex with quite a few woman, but with this one, that has a protruding pubic bone, she 'feels' so much more during sex, so much more expressive. I was just curious to know if there is a link of any, between the 'protruding pubic bone' and maybe the shape of the vagina/making her feel more eduring sex?
any luck with your reserach, is there a link between them having a protruding pubic bone? i have the same curiosity with someone.
Men are enthusiastic about a large mound too.  Very sexy!
I found out that I was different when I go on a diet and found out that it is protruding. I checked photos of bikini models and other fashion models and found out that it is indeed flat in that area! Mine: hip bones are showing and so is my protruding pubic bone. It is not fat because when you touch the anterior area of the mons, you could feel the bone. It is really sad because I couldn't wear bikinis or even tight clothing. When I do, I make sure that I have long shirt to cover the area.
                          What God has made, we have to accept it, as it is, as having a high pubic bone is not a deformity, but it is just like- everyone are not same and different in every respect.
                          However, this has caused me great discomfort and gave me unusual feeling while having sex that things went extremely wrong.But I was helpless. I could not adjust.
                         But all of you don't get discouraged on account of that, I had not left her but considered as normal and accepted it.
Hey did your girlfriend ever say anything about sex hurting her? because i am worried about this greatly. my mon pubis sticks out and i am scared to be intimate with anyone, just in case it hurts me.