period after partial hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-241 comments:
Thank You Donna for your information! The internet and some of these posts just freaked me the heck out! I am 2 weeks post op from my hysterectomy and the Dr only took my Uterus... I was just reading this stuff thinking OMG  OMG  OMG! ... I had a Tubal Ligation and Endometrial Ablation in 2009 which stopped my periods altogether. Then July 6 2012 I had my uterus removed due to what my Dr said was some sort of pouches swelling and causing nearly unbearable uterine pain. I was just freaked out and when I saw your post.. I had to sit and think about it.. ugh...LOL... thanks again...
I had a partial hysterectomy back in 2010 and after the surgery i started to notice that twice a month i had bleeding.. It has been this way since.. Im going back into surgery next month to have another hysterectomy this time taken out my cervix.. My doc hasnt been able to explain the reason why this is happening and says this is the first time that he has seen this in his 30+ years of practice.

So your not the only one out there that this is happening to.. Hope you get answers soon..
I am 38 years old and have had sever issues my entire life since the age of 12 when I nearly bleed to death due to a period.... Yes a period.... I have had polycycist  ovarian disease and endometriosis for as long as I can remember my periods would last for 3 weeks at a time.... When I was 18 years they told me I would never have children and in viced me that I should have a complete hysterectomy.... well I refused I did have 2 children one of which I nearly lost at 5 months... Nevertheless after many years of suffering I did have my surgery they took the uterus and one ovary on Feb 13 2012 I have had a period every single month and everything that comes with it Pain, acne, breast tenderness, bloating, mood swings, PMS!!! The works!!! I think that I may have to have another surgery which I am not looking forward to... So you are not alone and either am I apparently... I thought I was....
Types of hysterectomy:

Partial, subtotal, or supracervical (soo-pruh-SER-vi-kuhl) - removes just the upper part of the uterus. The cervix is left in place.  
    Total - removes the whole uterus and the cervix.
    Radical - removes the whole uterus, the tissue on both sides of the cervix, and the upper part of the vagina. This is done mostly when there is cancer present.

From www.womenshealth.gov

Get your facts straight!
I am currently recovering from a partial hysterectomy.  The plan was to do a total hysterectomy but because of adhesions from a previous vertical c section, they were not able to separate my bladder from my cervix.  Because of this,  they had to leave the cervix and part of the uterus behind.  I was told my cervix might still respond to my ovaries and I may have bleeding.

Not the result I wanted but there was nothing that could be done.  I did suffer an injury to my bladder during the procedure when they were trying to separate it from my cervix and I came home with a Foley catheter that I had to leave in for a week.  That has since been removed and I am doing well.  

I hope this information helps..

Tina
A very close friend of mine is scheduled to undergo a hysterectomy to treat endometrial cancer very soon, so I have been doing research on that topic. I stumbled onto this conversation, and was interested in sharing my experience.

I had a partial (or subtotal) hysterectomy 14 years ago, at the age of 38. Since I was 12 years old, I had severely painful periods (“dysmenorrhea”), a very heavy flow, periods that sometimes lasted as long as ten days and were never regular. In other words, my life was a living hell. Like a fool, I went to the same sadistic OB-GYN for nearly ten years; every year, I repeated my complaints about the pain and so on, and every year, he told me that it was probably endometriosis, which could only be definitively diagnosed with surgery. So take more pain meds, stay on the Pill, and suffer through it.

After my husband and I moved to another city for a job change, I saw a new doctor. After I explained my severe problems, he wasted no time ordering a vaginal ultrasound; very simple and low cost. It revealed that I had severe fibroid tumors. The doc said they had probably been there for at least ten years, growing continually, fueled by the estrogen in my body. The largest was the size of a softball, and there were so many that my uterus had ballooned to the size of a 4-month pregnancy; I actually had stretchmarks!

There were not many choices in 1998: (1) medications to put me in menopause, stopping the production of the estrogen that was causing the fibroids to grow; (2) D&C to literally scrape them out of my uterus, which would preserve fertility, but they would eventually start to grow back; or (3) hysterectomy. My husband was 15 years older than I, and we had no plans to ever have children, so after 26 years of a living hell, the choice was an easy one for me. I told my doc to rip out the plumbing, as soon as possible. I even tried to talk him into taking out my ovaries as well, so that I wouldn’t have to worry about ovarian cancer, which scared me, and still does. He said unless he saw problems with them when he did the surgery, he wouldn’t do that; I was too young. He also said that he would leave my cervix, since it helps support the other structures in the pelvic area, especially the bladder.

I got the diagnosis in July, and had the surgery in late September, two days after my 38th birthday. I have always said it was the best birthday present I ever got. But those last two months were really scary; the Pill wasn’t really doing its job of regulating my periods any more, and I was bleeding almost non-stop. During that time, I read a story about a woman who bled to death as a result of severe fibroid tumors. That news about did me in; I couldn’t wait to go to the hospital!

Here’s another little statistic I learned: 50% of women over the age of 35 suffer from fibroids to a degree. I am only one person, but I am here to tell you: that hysterectomy was the best thing that ever happened to me. It may even have saved my life, thinking about the woman who bled to death. I was in the hospital for three days, off work for two weeks; I did everything I was supposed to according to the recovery instructions, so I had no adhesions or other complications. I healed beautifully; still have a six-inch scar but who cares? I threw away the Pill, the pain meds and the tampons and pads, and any regrets I may have had about fertility. And frankly, considering how messed up my uterus was, I seriously doubt that I would have been able to conceive, and if I had, I can’t imagine how there would have been room for a baby to develop normally. Of course, I had no way of knowing in 1998 that I would be widowed three years later, or that two years after that, I would marry my childhood sweetheart, who gave up his chance to have children when he married me. But even so, as a couple, we have no regrets; he told me he would rather have me than kids (his first wife was a real piece of work).

So I still have my ovaries, Fallopian tubes and cervix. For several years after the surgery, I still had pain when I ovulated—talk about adding insult to injury. As if the severe pain once a month wasn’t bad enough, I also had pain with ovulation, what my mother, whose ancestry was German, called “Mittelschmerz” or “middle pain,” referring to pain in the middle of the menstrual cycle. My doc told me that eventually I would probably stop ovulating, since we had essentially short-circuited everything, and I guess that was true, because even that pain eventually stopped too.

I have never once had any kind of bleeding or other discharge. At all. Never. Not in 14 years. No uterus, no endometrium, no buildup to be discharged when there is no conception. In my opinion,based on everything I know about the female reproductive system, if you have had a hysterectomy of any kind, and you are experiencing bleeding or other discharge, it is NOT normal, and you should get yourself to the doc IMMEDIATELY. Do not waste time looking for answers on health websites from armchair physicians; the only way to know for sure what is going on is to get to the doc so the necessary diagnostic tests can be performed to get a diagnosis. Be polite but firm with your doc; if he or she balks at ordering a test, go to another doc. Don’t be like I was, and assume that one doc has the only answers. I suffered needlessly for ten years longer than I needed to, thanks to that sadistic doctor. It’s your body and your right to get the answers you need.

Interestingly, now that I am 52, with no uterus, whether or not I am actually “in menopause” is sort of a guessing game. Each year when I see my GYN (a gal that I love), she asks me how I’m feeling; last year was awful; I was hot all the time, but not hot, if you get what I mean. She prescribed Estratest for me, and I took it for six months. It made me break out like when I was 16; told her I’m not going through puberty again, so I quit it. Found an over-the-counter remedy that has all the stuff you hear about on TV—one formulation for the day time, and another for night—and it’s working well. Showed it to my doc at my last visit, and she was very impressed with it.

The only other issue I have had since my hysterectomy is that my bladder muscles aren’t as strong as they used to be (age contributes to that too). I just have to make sure I don’t wait too long to go, and I do occasionally slap on a light days pad. Kegel exercises would probably help with this; I’m just lazy.

I have also heard that lack of a uterus has a negative effect on sexual activity—lack of sensation, etc. I have never noticed any such thing; if anything, sexual activity improved for me—no more periods, no more pain, so I felt better about myself in general. That can only be a good thing; at least it has been for me.

That’s my story, for what it’s worth. If it is helpful to anyone else who reads it, I’m glad. If you think it’s bunk, as I said at the beginning, I’m only one person. I don’t pretend to speak for everyone, or to be any kind of an expert.
I had a UTI 26 years ago that was so severe, I had blood in my urine. I remember it well, because I was sitting for the CPA exam in excruciating pain. I turned in my completed exam, left the exam site, and went right to the ER. Passed the exam too!
I'm wondering if you are still having the same symptoms still. I had my hysterectomy almost 4 years ago and had my cervix removed too and 2 years ago I started having a "fake period" and had another surgery last year only to have my "fake period" return and I'm scheduled for surgery #3 in a few months.

It's frustrating to hear the doctor say... wow, I've never had this happen before or I've never heard of this happening before.
Some of You talk like your a Dr. But you are wrong it is Totally possible to have a period without a uterus. I had my enlarged uterus removed over 2 yrs ago and I still have a period every month. My uterine wall grew onto my cervix, so now my cervix sheds... Ya it ***** and I need to have my cervix removed...  So sorry to tell some of you it may continue, in the beginning my Dr said it may stop- no suck luck...
I'm 38 and I just had my hysterectomy on the 26th of last month due to uterine fibroid. It's been three weeks so far, haven't had any pain or bleeding until today I'm spotting.. very light, no cramps. My breast still get tender and soar as if I'm going to actually start. I only had my uterus removed. still have my cervix, ovaries, and my tubes. My doctor told me it will be a chance I will spot but no heavy bleeding anymore. This was the best decision I've made. I don't have to deal with the pain, heavy bleeding, becoming anemic due to insufficient blood, blood transfusions, and taking iron through IV.. Thats how bad it was for me. Every woman experience is different but the same far as symptoms and pain. What ever choice you decide, make sure it's what you want...Not your doctor's choice, your husband, friends, family, etc...YOURS. Your the one who have to deal with this agony, not them...Hope this was helpful for someone..
Thank you for sharing your story. I just had LSH and was in distress if I should have gotten rid of my cervix. It seems more women have reported complaints when keeping it, and eventually they have it removed. I am happy to hear a story where that was not the case. I am recovering now, listening to the dr and not doing much. I do have some pain in the cervix area, I am hoping it will pass. Thank you again.
I have had severe pain during periods due to Endometriosis. I was diagnosed at the age of 21 after a laproscopy because the pain was so bad I began passing out. I did two rounds of Lupron 4-6 shots each, but didn't experience periods during that time. Each round made me feel better for a few years before the pain became unbearable again. I did DepoProvera which was a horrible experience for me. I was then put on three packs of birth control at a time, which would be 62 days on, and then off for a week. That helped for a while as well. I had some difficulty getting pregnant. Finally got a healthy baby boy but had to have a partial hysterectomy. All female reproductive organs have been removed except for one ovary. My doctor said that we could use a surrogate if we wanted to try for another baby. I currently do not have any periods. Just a little spotting occasionally and the pain is gone...for now. My son is three and I'm feeling great! After a hormone check that showed I was deficient in Progesterone and Testosterone I began using a progesterone cream daily and I took a DHEA supplement for a while. I truly hope that you find relief from your pain. Most people don't understand how debilitating it can be and I never had to deal with it daily. So, even I have no idea what you are going through. I wish you the best. May you find an answer and be healthy.

- Kelli
I had a sub-total hysterectomy 4 months ago due to uterine fibroid, my uterus and right ovaries were removed.  I recovered nicely after the surgery and was on medical leave for two months.  One day after returning to work I woke up with what felt like menstrual cramps and spotting.  I was terrified and contacted my ObGyn who did the surgery.  He told me the light spotting would last for two or three days and it did .And that I should take some pain meds for the cramps.

It's been four months since the hys and this is my third mini-period.  I dont mind the light spotting, I go through just a few liners for the 3 or so days. What I cant deal with is the cramps, the blotting and the nausea.  It's just annoying that after going through the surgery, I still have to deal with pain every month.

Does there mini-period every go away?  And what can be done for the pain, other that just taking pain killers?
i had a hysterectomy in '09 due to uterine fibroids. both my cervix and uterus was taken, but im still having awful pain and bowel issues. i was checked for cysts and although there was some they all was to small to create a problem. what could be causing this terrible pain? i have been to several er rooms but nothing was found. i need help.
My wife has been away for a little over 3 months payig a debt 2 society.We have 3 children,& she had a partial in 2004.She's had no problems,then today out of the wild blue she started bleeding again,and says she has all the symtoms (symptoms) of her period.She's trying not to worry me,but I cant help it,she's been my best friend for the last 15 years.She's 35. Anyway Im worried that she may not get the medical attn. needed where she's at,and she doesn't want to have anything done there because it would freeze her time & we only have 3 weeks left.So I was trying to get some info. in case it is more serious than she leading on.She's not in any pain,other than soreness & cramping.PLEASE EASE MY MIND.
I had my uterus removed a little over a year and a half ago and have had what my gynecologist calls a cervical period every month. Since my ovaries are still intact I ovulate every month. My breasts hurt, I have back pain from my ovaries and I bleed. Not spotting, not mucous, blood. So anyone that says it's not possible and that it's only from the surgery is wrong.  Yes it is not a technical period because there is no lining of the uterus to shed but it's still on a cycle and most definitely vaginal bleeding just the same. Without a uterus you cannot get pregnant because the uterus holds the baby and it without a uterus to implant into it just cannot happen. I've heard of people still getting pregnant after having their tubes tied or one ovary removed but I doubt it would be physically possible without a uterus.
Hey guys. I had an LSH procedure done May 24, 2013. It was a laprascopic surgery (L) supracervical-meaning they leave the cervix (S), and hysterectomy-removal of uterus. I also had my fallopian tubes removed, per my doctor's recommendations. I also kept both ovaries, and made sure my dr understood that I wanted to keep my ovaries unless he saw something devastating and used his best judgement to remove. (I have heard horror stories where women had ovaries taken and they didn't have the permission to do that). On a side note (you may find this funny:), I had to sign a waiver stating I fully understand I can NO LONGER GET PREGNANT. Apparently women do not understand that and have come back and were angry that they can't have kids any longer. Um...newslfash: No uterus-no baby!! Now, on the other hand, no uterus does not always equal no more bleeding...which is my case. I originally was considered a good candidate for this surgery because I had abnormal cycles since adolescence - (I'm 37 now with one son who is 13), and I tried almost everything to regulate my cycles since I was a teen from the pill, "freezing" (no idea what that meant, I was young. maybe it is similar to an ablaison?), countless biopsies on my cervix, thyroid testing, to an IUD, endometriosis surgery...and nothing worked to make what I would consider a "normal" monthly menstrual cycle. I was at the point where I never knew what I'd see when I'd wipe on a daily basis...and in a single month, I'd say 7 days I could go maximum without bleeding or spotting. Eventually fibroids became worse (you could tell just by the brighter color of blood), and they became painful...so I decided it was time to finally do something to make things better (supposedly) and have this surgery. But not a complete removal of the entire female system so I would need hormone drugs.
Someone on this panel mentioned its like a cyclical bleeding that you may experience...I think I am one of those candidates. After surgery I had very minimal if any bleeding. (I stocked up on the big ol' jumbo jet pads thinking I was going to bleed terribly...oops I was way off!!!) However by my 1 week follow up appt, I started to bleed again, similar to a "normal" period. I'm on day 5 of that. My dr mentioned the cyclical bleeding, that sometimes a small part is left behind from the surgery that either was missed or something like that (disclaimer: please don't quote me or judge - I am not a doctor and don't claim to be...and I am paraphrasing in my own words!) and that he could cautorize it if it was still an issue in a few months, to see if that would solve the problem. What he explained is, because I kept my ovaries, they will still produce hormones and do their thing in a cycle...and the cervix still responds to that and creates the flow to what you and I would refer to as a "period" even though it is not a true menstral cycle in definition. Now my frustration, is that my bleeding irregularily is largely in part of what led me to make the decision to do this surgery in the first place, and I was under the impression that I wouldn't bleed anymore.  And here I am. Bleeding still. I don't even know if I can use a tampon for the bleeding -  I forgot to ask! So with my granny panties and pad, here I am! And you know, I think for me, I was expecting to walk away and lead a blood-free or "period-free" life...so I am a little dissapointed, but I am only 1.5weeks out of surgery, and need to give it time and be patient and see if it will subside. Because, now you can correct me if I'm wrong, but for those who have had an LSH, we will still see the days of menopause - which GOD KNOWS what that will bring to the mix!! Thanks for listening, feedback welcome. Hopefully my story can help you, or you can relate. Even though there are others who go through similar issues, you still feel like you're the only one it happens to.
Peanut53 I'm in the same boat!  I had a hystorectomy in 2007 (uterus/cervix removed) I still have my ovaries.  I've been cycle free since then.  Then last week out of nowhere I started feeling a little burn when urinating.  It stopped and then last weekend slight spotting....today it's evident blood.  I don't feel pain though.  It's just after 1am and I awaoke worried about this and came across this blog.  i think I feel something like cramps...but it could be my mind.  I'm going to see the doc as they open.  I missed my annual last year.  First time that ever happened.  I'll let you know what he says.  Good luck at your doctor's!  let me know what he says!
This just happened to me! I had a huge "chocolate cyst on my ovary leaking blood and bad toxins into my body poisoning me. I had to have a partial hyserectomy due to how bad everything was. I have extreme fast growing endometriosis as well. I have to be out on hormone suppressers and try to stop my period because hormones can cause endometriosis to implant more. He took everything out of one side. I have been on bed rest for 6 months now due to all this. My surgery (abdominal) was a few months ago and I'm still having problems. I will probably have to have the other side done soon. They didnt do a complete because of my age but they really just should have done it at once! I do have periods still but we are trying to stop them. Since my surgery a lot of things are different including how my period is. I bleed for like 2 weeks and it's very irregular now.
Thank you for sharing your story! I have had the same problem for over 15yrs, I have gone to so many doctors that kept telling me that I was fine even though I know I wasn't. I had sever pain with my periods, very sever pain with intercourse, and it was extremely painful when I had to go in for my pap exams. Yet all doctors told me that i was fine and put me on several birth controls explaining that it would cure the problem. Never went away! But because of my age and not having any kids they would not allow my surgery for a hysterectomy. I started having issues at 15, I am now 31 and just got my partial hysterectomy (they took only my uterus). I was very persistent and saw many doctors. Yes it was finally a male doctor who saw what my problem was within one office visit and ordered my experimental surgery the next week (to see what all the damage was). Now after all my surgery's I feel like a whole new women!!  I have had very little pain with my hysterectomy. What i haven't heard anyone mention yet was the pain you will have after the surgery when you have to use the bathroom. I dont know how normal that is but my mother also had the same problem.. Yes the sneezing and coughing will hurt but wait until you have to go potty.. but even with all the pain i feel much better!    (sorry for the long story)
It can also mean your cervix was not cauterized enough the cells can then produce a mini period every month but only if you have your ovaries or are on hrt. This happens to only 3% of women who keep their cervix.
I just had a hysterectomy done yesterday. They left my ovaries. The pain is really bad but im still getting around. The bleeding is spotting not a full period. And they done my surgery by robot. Day 2 is a little rough because I have a 7 year old and a 6 month year old that require attention. But I have learned very quickly to sit down due to my incisions bleeding from my belly. I hope this helps someone.
did u get your problem solved, as if got same problem but I had mine done 3 years ago been waiting 7 hours 4 doctor to call
Im scheduled for my partial hysterectomy on Tuesday 3 September, I dont have anything wrong with me, just heavy periods thats it, i also have a 4 year old daughter, and 1 year old son, Im very worried about whether i will be able to look after my kids, How is it now after your surgery? Are you still spotting? is there still pain?
I had TAH/BSO on August 1 due to severe endomatriosis. This is my fifth week after the surgery. Everything went well, my incision (vertical) was dried within 7 days, but after the first week, a pink/brown discharge started from my vagina. With that I got light fever around 99.5 F. I went to my gyno and she found out that I have an infection and prescribed antibiotics for 7 days. But after seven days my discharge didn't stopped so she extended the antibiotic for another week. Now that my pinkish discharge has stopped. But still I have some spotting in the evening, I would say its brownish now. However, I still get some chills with light fever (lower than 100 F). I have a back pain and light pelvic pain. I gradually started to do some lighter house work not yet lifting stuff and excercising. My overall health and physical condition is fine but this fever is confusing me. BTW I got done an ultrasound on August 30, because I complained my gyno about the pelvic pain. I have an apt. with my gyno today and I will keep you all posted what she will tell about my fever. I have to go back to work in one week. I feel I'm ready except my fever. Anyone experienced the same situation?
I had the same surgery when I was 30 but a year later I started having problems my question is do you have any problems at all when it comes to your personal part and do you take any medication at all because my doctors don't know whats going on with my body.
I had my 6 woks apt and I was cleared to start my normal life. But excercising I have to start gradually. Also the back pain I'm having in the evenings should eventually fade away...
Since I have my right ovary, I may get endomatriosis again in future, if so, I will get the same type of pain like before. The only solution is to take birth control pills which I don't want to. So, I cross my fingers!
But hey, I'm so excited to start to my normal life, go back to work and of course to live a life without regular pain medication.
I was diagnosed at 14 after two years of pain all day everyday especially during my period.. after many lapascopy surgerys as a teen.. 19 against all odds had a baby boy. 21 started having hotflashes all symptons of menapause but I got my period n still can conceive. Done docs cant explain it. At 22 developed a 11m syst on my left ovaryI 25 diagnosed cervical cancer (caught in time) then by the time I was 27 I had 4 misscarriages.. 28 gave birth to another baby boy. N. Now I am 34 and tbis past july where I spent the entire month because my blood infection and they remove my both tubes n  left ovary only so I had time to freeze eggs.. they did not remove my cervix idk y... I am still going thru menapause it never stop since it started.. anyone else relate or any feed back. N I still bleed my endometerious was already state 5 at age 14 so wasnt concern with that.
I loved your story....I am scheduled for my  pre-op apt next Tuesday. I 'm just having m uterus removed because of fibroids tumors. I have three teenagers, and my tubes have been tied for a while. Im mostly worried about sexual pleasure for me and my partner, and also mood swings. Its a shame that we go through so much as women. :-)

Toya
I am a 40 year old woman who over the past decade have suffered abysmal episodes of vaginal thrush, the usual medications are fruitless and only cause me more soreness and swelling, I have now been placed on a 2 month course of anti fungal medication. A mixture of creams and flucanazole caps which I don't like taking but for obvious reasons I dare not stop! I wonder if a partial hysterectomy would help me? I know this sounds drastic but I cannot cope with  these bouts of severe thrush that last for 10 days every 2 - 3 months. I have been tested for diabetes and I am also B12 deficient.  Is there anyone out there had the same problem? if so what did you do?

Lynda
You keep your cervix to keep "internal structure and stability" - at least that's what I was told. Also, you bleed every month due to your uterus. A partial hysterectomy removes the uterus- BUT the uterus is attached to the cervix, and it's not always clear where one organ stops and the other begins. Usually doctors like to be conservative and therefore might leave a very small bit of uterine tissue (called a uterine stump). This may or may not cause monthly bleeding... Although the periods should be light like the last couple days of a normal period (think pantyliner, not maxi pad).
I know this is an old thread but I found it in a search so wanted to add my experience in case anyone else finds it.  Two and a half years ago I had a hysterectomy but kept my cervix.  I have had bleeding each month ever since.  This is because there is a small piece of uterine tissue left on my cervix.  So yes I am still having menstrual bleeding and although it's not the usual outcome of a hysterectomy it is not that uncommon.
Thank you for posting. I am 2 months post op and just started bleeding. I had the exact surgery you did. I thought I was free and clear after the procedure, so I too am bummed. It's almost midnight, so I can't call my doctor and I thought I would hop on the computer to see if anyone else has had this happen. I am very glad you shared your story. I can sleep better now.
Good luck to you.
Three months ago i had a D&C due to heavy bleeding and clotting with terrible pains.  Then two months ago, I had to have a hysterectomy due to the fact I had endometriosis and endomitis.  During surgery the doctor decided to leave in my ovaries due to my age (44) and remove everything else.  The night after the surgery, I screamed in pain and was burning up with a high fever.  I had doctors and nurses by my side all night.  Approximately a week later I had to see the surgeon to remove the staples which got infected as one was turned sideways.  I got through that and began bleeding everyday since then.  I am cramping and in sharp pain in my lower stomach.  Im sick everyday and having sharp pain in my vagina with bleeding and terrible cramping daily.  I have been to a doctor who states I have no bladder or yeast infection.  My question is, why would my doctor leave some of my cervix in me when if was suppose to be removed.  Is this an accident on his part or is this something normal they sometimes do.  I'm worse off then I was before.  I only found out about my cervix through an ultrasound today that was told to me but shoudnt have been.  Can anyone help me please.  I dont know where else to turn????  
I had a total hysterectomy 10 days ago (had cervix,uterous, and tubes removed). It has been such a hard road for me. I have had severe pain when urinating and deficateing, while coughing and sneezing. I have had incedable back pain that will not go away (was told was from operating table positioning). I have been told by my obgyn that I will feel so much better after two weeks but right now I am having a hard time believing her. I am still spotting and was told was from internal sutures. Again, not sure if I believe her as I was not bleeding at all when I left the hospital or two days later but I jhave been for three days now. I am going to see a chiropractor tomorrow because I heard horror stories on hyster sister's that people have gotten slipped discs from this. I have been in so much pain that I can't sleep and can not heal properly because of it. I had mine done roboticly and had five holes punched in me across my abdomen. I felt and feel like I have been stabbed five times and been hit by a truck! I have a very high tolerance for pain, I had two large children natural no drugs and my son cracked my pelvis on his way out so I know what pain is and this has been so much worse! My advice ask a billion questions and make sure in writing they will brace your back. I am 42 and in shape, I hope this gets better............
I just had a partial hysterectomy on Jan. 21st and have nothing but problems.... Ended up back in the hospital with multiple blood clots in my lungs and now have to take blood thinners, was still bleeding really heavy so today Feb.3rd my Dr. Did an exam and I had a tear in my cervix where they pulled the uterus out through the vagina so it had to be cauterized. So now it's dealing with the blood clots in my lungs and I pray......nothing else comes up! Good luck to everyone getting ready to have a partial or complete hysterectomy.
All my problems started after the birth of my big headed son in 2005. He ripped and tore his way out, leaving a path of destruction behind. I have had one surgery a year for the past 6 years to correct the damage. First my periods were extremely heavy and 10 days long. So had a thermal ablation in Jan '06 to cut it down. But it only went down to 8 days. March '07 had problems with peeing when i would sneeze and cough. So I had a bladder sling put in and interior/posterior repair work. My bladder was falling along with my uterous. That solved the problem for awhile, until I changed jobs and started working in a warehouse where I was lifting heavier products. Dec '07 rolls around and my periods are very painful still and heavy. My older sister has the thermal ablation procedure one month prior to me, and poof, her periods are gone forever. My second time having it done and it fails. I have too much scar tissue, which is what you want, but my doctor said it would be pointless to remove it. So I am stuck having heavy clotting periods with no energy. AUG '08 I get another bladder sling put in, criss cross double protected, all is good. July '09 & Feb '10 I discuss with my doctor about my cervix. It is pushing thru my vaginia, making it feel like I have a set of balls between my legs. He decides to cut part of it off, to relieve that uncomfortable feeling. My appt with the specialist was in Aug '10, didn't get the procure done until Feb '11. Hospital was on strike and I have had to endure pain and embarrassment for 3 summers wearing loose shorts, pants and not my bikini. Now the summer of 2011 was a little bit better, but because of dropped bladder, uterous, and now #2 cavity dropping, I said Enough is enough!! I wanted a hysterectomy from the very beginning, but there was always a newer procedure, which I have had. Now my cervix is just about hanging all the way out, dangling between my legs. I just had a vaginal hysterectomy, removal of cervix, more interior and posterior repair Jan 20, 2014. Brought all the cavities up and tightened everything. He left my ovaries in place because I can't take any medicine or pills of any kind for menopause. Blood clots run in our family, and I am currently on blood thinners for an accident that happened in Nov, no big deal. I had pain for the first  two weeks, just able now to actually sit on the couch, still not at the dinner chairs. I did have 75 plus stitches, so there is that reason. It has been 3 weeks, I am driving, walking, sex drive is full speed ahead, just pissed that I have to wait the full 6 weeks, but if I can't receive, I can always give...lol.. I am 45, looking forward to travelling without having to book it around my periods, can't wait to wear sexy underwear again ( have been wearing depends far too long)just having the odd cramp and lighter spotting now. Lost 30 lbs before surgery and have kept it off, still got 17lbs to go...Montanna
Have you checked out the "Essure Problems" group page on Facebook? I am 40 and had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago to stop the agonizing pain I experienced after getting Essure when I was 35 years old. Worst 5 years of my life. I am now pain free!
its been while since your post so unsure if u followed up with a partial at this time. I am 47 and I to have had continuous issues with vaginal thrush going back to 1986, started after I had my 1st of 4 children. I also am b-12 deficient. I give self injections 2 times a month.. I had a partial hysterectomy about 10 yrs. ago but it has had no impact on my thrush issue. also to other readers, I to have continued to have what seems to be regular monthly bleeding it just is not heavy, sometimes some clotting come thru, some months just have small amounts old brown dried blood discharge but its all been determined to be just my regular cycle' some dr. have said no was not normal others said yes it is normal. now after finding this sight n seeing so many others with this breakthrough bleeding, i feel much more relaxed n confident that it is normal
its been while since your post so unsure if u followed up with a partial at this time but I to have had continuous issues with vaginal thrush going back to 1986, started after I had my 1st of 4 children. I also am b-12 deficient. I give self injections 2 times a month.. I had a partial hysterectomy about 10 yrs. ago but it has had no impact on my thrush issue. also to other readers, I to have continued to have what seems to be regular monthly bleeding it just is not heavy, sometimes some clotting come thru, some months just have small amounts old brown dried blood discharge but its all been determined to be just my regular cycle' some dr. have said no was not normal others said yes it is normal. now after finding this sight n seeing so many others with this breakthrough bleeding, i feel much more relaxed n confident that it is normal
I am 40 years old and just found out I need to have a hysterectomy. Im scared ********. I think I have a high tolerance to pain Ive had 3 children and 2 without pain meds. I have a few tats. Im scared because Ive read so many stories the unknown n is killing me. My GYN said I have a couple of fibroids and Im losing a lot of blood on my periods that Im anemic and on iron to try and help. My periods are sometimes very painful. Im looking forward to lighter or no periods. Just scared..getting put under has me so uneasy..waking up with tubes in me is even scarier. Im kinda thinking maybe I should hold off on this surgery until I cant take the pain anymore. Anyone have advice for me???
scared and confused =(
I am 27 and had a total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago (dr took my uterus, cervix, and tubes). Tonight I have been experiencing a lot of almost unbearable pain at times. Not sure how normal this is. Mostly in my lower stomach and pelvic area. I haven't felt this pain since when I first had the hysterectomy. I just hope it stops soon. Thanks for any good advise, I greatly appreciate it all...
I would consider other options before surgery and if your only having this one problem it might be easier to address better without surgery
I had a supracervical hysterectomy a little over a year ago, due to an enlarged uterus, from benign fibroid tumors (only 3, but one was 9cm). I often question my decision and wish I would have had a myoectomy. Reading your story has comforted me MUCH more than anything else I have found. Thank You SO MUCH for sharing!
On feb 14 2012 of all days I had my surgery. I wasnt with anyone and I was bleeding like a pig for over two yrs. I would get big clots etc. I finally went to this women dr who told me i had fibroids. surgery day i was given a partial. yet she has buned of something so i wouldnt get my period ever she said which was great with me since i had ballooned to look six months pregnant and bled forever.i had an ovary removed along with the fibroids and uterus, i was cut open like a c section across my pelvis. walked out of hospital 25 lbs lighter. now two yrs after i get cramps and am bloated again. im afraid to go back n have her say more surgery ugghh, im on the fence do fibroids return after uterus removal? im dry and sex drive is down occasionally i get discharge white n milky.suggestions???
dont wait my surgery went from one hr n a half to six hrs due to the fibroids were twisted around my left ovary which ending up going with the uterus. had blood transfusion too cuz fibroid tent to suck the blood out of you. you;ll feel much better . trust God will see you thru it all. think positive. dont wait it only gets worse trust me.
Viewing 201-241 comments: