persitant yeast infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

persitant yeast infection

ok so i have a yeast infection (at least i hope its a yeast infection) It has the typical symptoms itch and irritation and off colored discharge (mainly a white to yellowish white) there is no tenderness

i've tried the one day yeast infection treatment, it cleared most of my symptoms up

but my question is its only been 10 days yet and the discharge hasn't gone away yet it doesn't itch and there is no smell or irritation and i'm wondering if its normal for that this to occur or if the medication should have cleared up by now

i know that i need to get checked out if it doesn't go away because it could be an STD, but before i do i thought i'd ask
hello.  I had a yeast infection back in August.  I tried the monistat one. It seemed to clear up symptoms for the most part, but I knew it wasn't fully clear.  I went to the doctor and he said if were to ever use an OTC med to always choose the 3 or 7 days treatment.  He said they work better. He gave me the diflucan pill and within a day or so I was back to normal.  hope this helps.
hi u said you "hope"its a yeast infec. U should make sure, cause medication for yeast infec. can cause other problems if what u use it and have something other than a yeast infec. Doc. can tell easily if u do, could be bacterial infec. good luck let us know...
Sometimes the 1-day treatments just aren't enough. You should really use the 7 day regime. It's easier on your vaginal tissues and you are less likely to develop a strain that is resistant to the azole drugs.

With that said, if the infection did not clear up with otc treatment, it's time to go see a doc.  Just be aware that having treated yourself first, there is a good possibility that he may not see any yeast even though it is probably still there.  50% of all yeast cultures, koh preps and slides are negative.
thank you so much for your comments it has definatly eased my concerns and i will be sure and go check it out with a doctor if it doesn't clear up