please help... any good hysterectomy stories?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

please read my post titled hysterectomy, im SCARED to death to get this done, eveyone has bad storeis i need some good ones, no early menopause, no mood swings, just normal life. help anyone
Are you having a complete hyster or are you leaving your ovaries intact?May I ask why you are getting it done? I had one 3 years ago and have done fine.I am in my 40's and after having my period since I was11 and my 2 boys are grown I really needed it done.I had a GREAT doctor.If you are that scared you need to be talking to your doctor too so that he realizes how nervous you are.Because I had  a complete hyster I was afraid of going straight into menopause but it actally took until this past summer before I felt any symptoms of menopause.They put me on a patch right after surgery but it wouldn't stay on so I just didn't use anything and felt fine.I didn't want to take hormones if I didn't need to but WOW,did I ever get hot flashes about 6 months ago.I went to a naturopathic doctor and I am taking bio-identical hormones.They are made especially for me and my symptoms.It would be easier for you to google them then for me to explain them to you.I'll just say this,when I learned that the Rx" Premarin" is made using Pregnant Mare Urine I said to myself, no thanks.That is MY personal opinion and that is why I looked into the bio-identical hormones.I always had horrible mood swings before the hyster but not since.I feel for ME, it was the best decision I made.As for normal,well,whats normal? I have other health problems but not because of the hyster.If you have any other questions feel free to IM me.
anyone -any advice -please emily
The only person who should really be giving you advice is your doctor.We can tell you how our hysterectomies worked for us but everyone is different.It was the best thing I did for myself but I didn't do it because of pain.I did it for other health reasons.Just because you have a total hysterectomy doesn't mean you're going to feel older than you are.Maybe you'll feel better than you ever dreamed.Also,what "stuff" shifts when there is "nothing in there"? Absolutely nothing changed for me after having a total hysterctomy.My husband couldn't tell the difference.Sex life was still great-I'd say better because I felt better and didn't have all the PMS stuff to deal with.No pregnancy worries either.My doctor told me that if I left my ovaries in there was a good chance I'd have to go back and get them taken out in a couple of years anyway so I decided to get it all done at once.I don't feel the need to get cut open more than necessary.If you re-read my other post I talked about the natural hormones women can take.That is also an option for you.But the best thing to do is right down ALL your concerns and go over them with your doctor.She is the one who knows what is going on with your body.Ultimately,you won't know how you feel physically until its over and done with anyway.All this worrying isn't going make a difference after the fact.Trust your doctor.
thanks for your post, i am going to talk to my doctor more, bu, i like to know that women have had this done, and are ok, because there are so many horror stories you never hear the good ones, i guess its because im so young 25 but i also think im too young not to enjoy my sex life because of all my female issues.
my doctor has went over all my concerns, all my 1000 of them i just wanted some other advice from anyone in the same situation. thanks emily
can anyone tell me does it have to be your docs decision too have hystectomy ive had novasure and hysteroscopy and not found reasons for my symptoms i have 3 kids and have bin sterilised i just wish i could req one as im gettin fed up with the pain
My suggestion would be to be sure you see a uro.gyn specialist......then your odds go way up on your side.....I am looking at this surgery as well and I am 56. Good luck!