pms after hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

pms after hysterectomy

i posted a question on here few days ago, and been reading up on as much as i can. she had hysterectomy three months ago. one week out of the month, my girlfriend does not want anyone around. bad mood swings, crabby. she still has her ovaries. someone mentiond that it is the same as pms. is that correct? and i also read that 1000 magnesium daily,and calcium would be some vitamins for her to be taking, plus vit b6. she still wont talk to her doctor after plenty of argumets tring to get her to go , so this is why ive been tring to figure something out for her , and let her read some of the comments. she dosent like the way shes feeling at that time, and i usually am left on my own without her for a week. good thing i own my own home.lol. but its really not funny. would like to help her out as much as i can. appreciate any and all your help. thanks.
I think the vitamins are a great idea, and you're a good boyfriend!  It might also take more time than three months for her body to adjust to the hysterectomy; didn't realize it was so recent.  So if she eats a good diet and tries to beef up her exercise a little (you two might try going on a lot of walks, not during the PMS time but just in general) and does improve her vitamins, that will help her general body a lot and maybe make this easier to cope with.
Here also is a little squib from a British medical site:  
"[After partial hysterectomy] The ovaries may continue producing hormones in their fluctuating manner until the normal age of menopause (usually 51 years of age). This fluctuating hormone production may cause symptoms of "premenstrual syndrome" (PMS), even in the absence of periods. This is because PMS symptoms are due to the changing hormone levels, and not due to the presence of bleeding. Estrogen deficiency symptoms, if they occur, would happen at the normal menopausal age.
For further information on PMS, visit www.pms.org.uk "
In other words, having PMS is not related to whether a woman still has her uterus, it is related to whether she has her ovaries.  General help for PMS would probably help her body at this time.
thanks annie, so does the vitamins i mentiond are the ones to take are , is there some other vitamins reccomened? thanks for your help, and i will check out that site when i get off work. thanks again.
also any idea, how long it will take her body to adjust. just seems that when its that time of month, she dosent like it, and it is not very happy time for me. ends up being very lonley. just wished she would talk to her doctor would make things easier i think. thank you.
Hi:

I would recommend a natural progesterone cream that you can buy at any local health food store along with either Estroven or Remifemin - Safe Menopausal Symptom Relief that can be purchased at any drug store.  It worked for me after my surgery.
Hi, Pammy;
The thing with Ed's sweetie is that she didn't have a full hysterectomy and so is suffering from menopausal symptoms.  She had a partial, leaving behind the ovaries, so she is actually suffering from PMS or possibly endometriosis.  She doesn't need more hormones at this point, she needs some stabilization of the hormones that are being produced as normal because the ovaries are still there.  (Do the creams you recommend deal with ladies who have had the ovaries removed?  Then they are not for her.)

Ed, one other thing I was thinking is that endometriosis is the migration of tissue that should be in the uterus, out into the pelvis.  It hurts at period time because it feels the effect of the ovaries giving hormonal commands to it to expand.  I have never heard of this but it is plausible that possibly with the surgery, some of this happened, and she is suffering from endometriosis.  If her symptoms are mostly like crabbiness and all that someone gets from PMS, then the ladies' opinions on the earlier post all still hold true.  But if she is actually having inter-pelvic region pain, there is also the possibility of endometriosis.  For that, she really does need to talk to her doc.

Annie
Her ovaries are probably still in a little bit of shock from the surgery, I had the same problems, only i had 1 ovary left(until it had to come out). I'm going to say it took a good 6 months before my hormones leveled off and returned to normal. It's only been 3 months, give her a little bit more time, it's a big change to adjust too, i know, i've been there. Your doing a terrific thing Ed, by being there for her, and also giving her space when she needs it. Tell her to keep her chin up, it does get better!! Good Luck to you both.
Hi Annie:

Yeah, I realize that.  I didn't have a hysterectomy either - endometrial ablation.  But I did suffer badly from the PMS symptoms.  That stuff does work believe it or not, but thanks for pointing that out.
It is not uncommon for women to go into early menopause following hysterectomy (and other pelvic surgeries), even if nothing goes wrong in the surgery.

Moreover, for several years, even up to about 10 prior to menopause, a woman's hormone production gradually (although it may not seem gradual to her!) changes to the natural level of hormones for menopause. It isn't full reproductive level of hormones and then menopause level.  This period preceding menopauseis is called peri-menopause.

Hormones levels will differ from day to day. One day they can be high next low. There is no point having the lab tests done. Unless of course you have stock in a lab?

Oh, one more thing.  The natural progesterone cream I spoke of is wonderful for women of all ages, ovaries or no ovaries.
hello it's been 10 years now since my hysterectomy and you still go though the changes but one good thing is she still has an overie so it shoulnt be so hard on her just be understanding and keep up the great support that help's and over the counter replacements help st. johns wart is GGREEATTTT!!!!! and less expenses as well and loy's of broccoli \spinach as well helps good luck
I had my partial in 03. I still had PMS. Mine was severe. Then the other ovary shriveled up to nothing in Nov of 06. Had that removed and bladder prolapse surgery. 6-8 months prior to my 2nd ovary shriveling up I went down hill physically. I gained weight fast. I couldn't drink alcohol anymore. I had to be in bed at 6 pm. Got sever acne. Became allergic to everything. Broke with boyfriend every week. Since I've been on HRT - 8 mos now...I lost 10 lbs, found the right dose of HRT. I go to the gym, handle conflict great, Im a whole new woman. BUT....I have forgotten to take my HRT twice in the past 8 months. once was 4 days and another time for 3 days. By the second day of no Estrodiol I was a basket case. Blew up, depressed, etc. Told boyfriend to go away, etc. Am I ever going to be able to be off this estrodial? I will never miss a pill ever again. My boyfriend is gone now cause of the blow up. but i took my pills and returned back to normal. I told him blowing up 2 times in 8 months is better then one week once a month every month. I have 3 gen of breast cancer to worry about too. but hey... this pill i take everyday and no ovaries is better the psycho i was before.
I was wanting to get some info from you, I had a partial where they took out my uterus and left everything else.  I'm 29 and I am thinking about getting everything out because I am having hormone issues that just don't seem to be getting any better.  I can't take pill.  I guess my question is I have heard that women who are hormonal and have everything taken out and get on hormone pills, feel so much better.  Would you agree or disagree with that.
Hi, im 35, and i had my partial hysterectomy when i was 27 i think, maybe 26, was long ago. They left me with one ovary, and ive not been examined since then . I still have PMS  and mood swings. So im not sure whether its pms or now heading towards menopause early. I would like to know what the general opinion is for hormones and over the counter products as im very reluctant to go to doc. But , i must try something because my financee thinks im half cracked and using pms as a excuse, whereas i really cannot help it. Also i have gained weight besides the mood shifts.
I had a partial in 2006 I still on occasion have swollen and sore breast maybe twice a year? No hormone replacements, unable to take any because of blood disorder still have abdominal and lower back pain as well. Anyone else with same complaints and if so,any advice?
I had a complete hysterectomy in 99 and I suffer from PMS monthly still. I had horrible PMS before hysterectomy, 10 days before my period, exactly every month. It was very bad. I did better on hormones after the hysterectomy but have not been on them for years. I had breast cancer and double mastectomy. I came here searching for an answer to my horrible mood swings, about 3-4 days. Irritated, angry, hyper then depressed and teary. I hate it.
i'm so sick of having PMS after my parttial hysteretomy back in 2002, my hubby thinks i'm crazy but, what the hell. I need some advice on something that can help other than gettin my ovaries takeing out.. i wasn't really sure you could have PMS  but, as i read more and more say you can. So now it's down to taken another pill along with the rest i take everyday or leave my hubby.
What works for me, after losing my uterus & keeping ovaries: I take a whopping multi-vitamin for women with plenty of B complex in it, one combination oil supplement (contains vitamin E, flaxseed oil, and fish oil), I get regular exercise (even a 30-minute walk works wonders), and (especially during PMS) cut down on sugar/salt/fat. A diet with reduced sugar plus lots of fruits and veggies really, really helped me a lot, and I added soy milk to my diet which seems to have helped. Eventually I lost ten percent of my body weight which helped a great deal with PMS. Finally - relaxed breathing exercises and writing in a journal helped. Good luck to you!