post myomectomy surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

post myomectomy surgery

I had a myomectomy surgery 3 months ago for a uterine fibroid tumor.
Two month before surgery I was on Lupron to stop the menstruation. I understood that Lupron stops menstruation for 3 months.
But I still haven't got my period yet since.
What is going on with me? What should I do?
Please help me. Thank you for any advise and help.

OH MY GOD........

I am going to have the exact same thing, and I am just so glad you brought up the issue....
I have a big fibroid tumor in my uterus as well and the doc put me on lupron for 2 months first and then will have the surgery (lap/histeroscopy).
Does it stop your period?????????? I didn't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh man....just what i need......
How did you pay for the Lupron? was it covered by your insurance???? it's like $800 a pop isn't it??? i need two!!! i can't afford it!!!!
Well, i gues im not much help, but I am very thankful to you because you were help for me..........and sorry about all the questions!! ;)

Have you asked your OB to give you something to bring your AF???? i think there's something you can take for that purpose......

I hope someone answers your questions.....

Good luck to you and best wishes!!!
I also have fibroids and I'm getting a myomectomy surgery date 4/2. I never recvd that medication to stop my periods.Can you tell me why it was given to you in the first place. I have irregular periods maybe that's why it wasen't given to me???? But, I read what vsentz said. Is it true it cost $800 for Lupron meds???? WOW! That's outragious!!!  
Sorry Mrs.Doyle I wasen't to much of a help... How are you feeling after surgery? Can you explained a little bit what to expect after surgery and how is your wound care??? Thank you. GET WELL SOON  :o)
To: vsentz, I don't know if I got your email right. I send you an email today. I coud give you mine if you like. BINIE3 THEN YAHOO JUST AD AT AND PUNCTUATION MARK & COM
I go for my PRE-OP tom.  I hope I'm not sick. My body ache's a lot. I might be getting my period soon....

Please girls keep me posted on how you are Both doing..... >^..^<

hey girl....i responded to your most recent post above.......i think the lupron is being used on me to shrink the fibroid before operating it.....not just to stop my period.......altho i didn't know that was a side effect????......

Either way, i hope you don't need it girl, boy is it ever expensive!!! my insurance doesn't cover it....=(

Good luck to ya!!

oh, and i got your email....did you get mine yet?
Hello Queenie4 and Vsent:
I had a huge fibroid ( size of a cantaloupe). I suffered with symptoms such as:
- heavy menstruation bleeding
- anemia
- frequent needs to go to the bathroom because of pressure in my bladder
- pelvic pain
- bloating and pressure in my stomach
- look 5 months pregnant
- pain during intercourse
- lack of energy for doing any activities

I have been given Lupron to stop the hormon in my body, because hormon is feeding the tumor to grow, so the tumor will shrink a little bit and make the surgery easier.
My surgery went fine, I did not have any infections or complications.
I woke up from operation room and felt just fine, I was too happy that it was over and my years suffering has gone away. It was not too painful because they gave me pain killer in the hopistal which you can push the button anytime you need it as many time you want it.
I stayed 2 days in the hospital.
After I went home, I needed my husband to be around to help me getting up and laying down the bed for the first week.
One week after surgery, the stiches were removed.
Second week I could get up from bed by myself, I didnt need my husband anymore, and I can serve my own meal.
I couldn't bend for two month, so please have somebody to help you getting something for you.
You will sleep on your back which you will get use to it, don't worry.
I had to stay home for 6 weeks before going back to work.
On the way back to home from hospital, make sure the driver will drive very slow and smooth, believe me this is the hardest part of all. Avoid any bumpy roads and pot holes. If I remember this, I really want to slap my husband of not being really slow, but he said he was driving very carefully.
Important thing I need to tell you, it took me a week to go the bathroom (bowel movement), I heard that is because of the pain killer medication they gave me which was PERCOCET caused constipation.
So I took Dulcolax suppository (the one you insert in your anal). I took that as my last options after taking other 'bowel softener' for 3 days and did not work.
My suggestion is to be patience to face this situation, healing need time you cannot rush it. Have lots of book to read, watch TV, talk to friends and fanmily on the phone or having them come over is a great thing, because that is the healing process.
A merry heart is good medicine
I hope I am being helpful and If you want to contact me, please email me at ***@****
I'll be happy to share my experience and to support you in any ways you need.
Thank you for your reply.
Sorry I forgot to answer your question.
My insurance covered the Lupron, but I had to pay $40.
I had one shot, and my period stopped until now.
I went to my doctor and he gave me hormon pills to bring back my period, I'm praying that it will work effectively.
Thanks you for your reply.
Thank you for your very very helpful information!!! I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so glad you are out of it and done with it!! are you feeling any better??
How long ago was your surgery? and how long ago was your last Lupron shot?
I've heard that the lupron stops your AF for months!!!! aughhh!!! that's the last thing i need =(!

Are you planning to TTC here soon??? did you have a laparoscopy or laparotomy..??? i will have the little one.....laparoscopy (only 2 or 3 small insicions...).

Thank you girl!! =))
I had multiple myomectomy on 3/28/07. Spent 3 days in the hospital, the 1st day was on a morphine drip, and on a catheter.

after you get released, i suggest taking the colate lax my doc prescribed,  you can buy it over the counter, i had a bowel movement on day  after surgery and no pain.

the pain was in the hospital trying to get the air to pass before they release you. but they gave me perocet every 4 hours so I wasn't in pain.

you need help when you get out of the hospital. trust me... I'm only on day 6!

I am glad that I found your posts. I am scheduled to have a Hysteroscopy(through cervix) and Laparoscopy(through belly button) to remove fibroids on May 21st. I have several fibroids that are not that large, but there are so many that it is a problem.  

The doctor told me to take birth control pills the start of my period and a week later I am to get a Lupron shot. A month after the Lupron shot is my surgery. (my insurance covered the Lupron except for $20 I paid) The doctor said the Lupron will shrink my fibroids making it easier to remove and possibly get more of the fibroids out.  He said I may need two surgeries because he wants to protect my uterus and not "burn" it. I am not sure about it, but he has  experience and seems to be knowledgeable. I'm hoping for the best, but I am worried. I am concerned about the Lupron because I read that it has so many horrible side-effects.  

Also, I read that Lupron can make some woman go into pre-menopause early!! I hope that is not happening to any of us!  I wonder if that is why my doctor is keeping me on the pill? Also, he is giving me one dose of Lupron before surgery.

Those of you who took Lupron, how long did you take it? DId you experience any other side effect besides no period? When did you get your period again?

Thank you I hope you answer me I am pretty much doing this on my own.

Best wishes to everyone.
Wow.. this is still alive.

I am only 4 days post abdominal myomectomy.  Twelve fibroids were removed, the largest about 17 cm, removed from the posterior uterus.  The rest were 9 cm and less.  I spent 3 days in the hospital.  The treatment in the hospital seems standard.  Morphine pump first 24 hrs.  Then Percocet as needed.  IV drip for the duration of the stay.  I rarely take the prescribed pain medication.  Most of the discomfort I have is from the bowel gas and bloating.  I had my first bowel movement yesterday, and am anxious for the next, lol.  My bleeding was spotty while in the hospital, but since Sunday afternoon I've been bleeding like I'm having my period.  

My Dr did not put me on Lupron, thankfully, as she felt it was not necessary in my case.  A friend took Lupron when she had her surgery a few years ago, and I remember it caused her a bit of hair loss.  That was her only side effect.  Her menstral cycle returned to normal after a couple months.  

I live alone, and even though my friends are here to help me, I've already mastered getting in and out of bed by myself (and the few other necessary things) with minimal discomfort.  They won't always be here so I had to learn fast :-)

All the best to you all.  And here's to healing.. soon.

Thanks for responding. I didn't notice how old the other posts are until now!

Wow, your fibroids were pretty big. It must of caused you a lot of discomfort.  So far the largest fibroid they could see in me was 3cm, but I have multiple ones (mostly submucousal and some intramural).  My endometrium is mostly obscured by them! It bothers me every time I think of it.  

Are you or do you have children? If so have the fibroids effected that?  Do you feel much better now after surgery, I know it's still early for you. I hope the fibroids are gone for good!

I'm nervous about the Lupron, it has so many horrible possible side effects. At least I will only have one shot.  Hopefully I won't get hair loss since I had some of that due to being anemic, but I am a pretty sensitive person so I hope I don't get emotional on this drug! I'm actually thinking of taking time off from work while the first or second week, which is when side effects are supposed to be higher.

Hi.  Oh yeah, my fibroids were quite big.  I felt full.. 24/7.  And sometimes I would have pain shooting down my left leg.  All were subserosal and intramural.  My endometrium was always easily imaged via ultrasound.  Because of location, my peroid was pretty normal.. surprizingly.  My fibroids affected my bladder, which landed me in the emergency room on two occasions.. where I had to be catherized.  There is no risk to my kidneys anymore :-)  

I've never had children.  But I'm certain, with the size of my fibroids.. it would not have been possible.  According to my Dr, I had an 18 wk size uterus.

I'm 8 days post op now.  I had the staples removed on Wed.  I feel sooooo much better already.  The fullness is gone, no more pain down my leg, my ankles are no longer swollen, and I urinate like a normal person now, lol.  

Try not to be overly concerned about Lupron.  Most people tolerate it very well, with minimal side effects.  All the best.
Hello I am 26, no kids, and I was diagnosed with multiple fibroids and my doctor did tell me that the fibroids are blocking my tubes. However, they aren't causing me any problems as far as heavy periods or pain. My doctor advised me not to wait one or two years as far as having the surgery later. I have never had surgery, I am so afraid. I am about to schedule an abdominal myomectomy in November. can anyone recommend someone in Chicago? or any advice would be helpful
Hi Jackie,
I had the myomectomy last February by a doctor in NYC.  He did a great job.  Like yours mine was also blocking my tubes but I was in severe pain.  The best advice I can give you is do your research as much as possible before having the surgery.  And if you do decided to have the surgery make sure you don't sign the consent form to have a hysterectomy.  Often times this form is in the overall consent forms that you must sign before the surgery.  The doctor will explain it as if it's a just incase you need it scenario but in reality if you case is sever and he decides that it will take 6 plus hours to remove the fibroid the doctor can in-fact give you a hysterectomy.  It's important that you make it clear in the beginning I do not want it.   My doctor signed a document stating that he would not give me one and if he did I can take legal action.  Now do I expect yours to do that.... No but you should at least talk to your physician about it.  Also make sure you have some granny panties :-)

One website that I used for research is www.repmed.com  It had so much information regarding the surgery including pictures.  
Best of luck and I hope it all turns out well for you.
I have found the place that I wanted to find, finally!  I've been on here for a few weeks looking for fibroid postings and finally I found it. Anyways, I have read some of your postings and they are so helpful because I see myself in those. I also have a fibroid and I am in the process of scheduling surgery to have it removed via a myomectomy. I am very nervous about it but from what my doctor has said to me, that is changing the shape of my uterus and my very long periods that he recommends it. I also had a miscarriage 4 months ago and it might have been the cause, but they can’t say for sure, I'm so happy I found this and so glad that I’m not the only one with this problem. Good luck to you all
Hopeful K
Hi Everyone,
I have been on several posts looking for information regarding abdominal myomectomy and how women were dealing or dealt with their situation. From reading the posts, I can relate to all of you. I am day 33 post op (had surgery Set 15, 09) and I can tell you all that it is an individual experience. I read blogs both prior to and after surgery, so I can say with all certainty that EVERYTHING depends on you as an individual and how tolerant your body is.
I too had to do the Lupron injections prior to surgery (2) and the symptoms that are indicated do occur. I had the hot flashes, the hair loss and also the nausea, but all were relatively mild. The Lupron side effects actually didn't affect me until about the third week after the forst shot, so don't think you are in the clear if you tolerate it after the first week.
I had 35 fibroids in total removed....my doc said it was like a farm! I had threee that were affecting ny uterus and made me look like I had a 14-15 week pregnancy. I am a very slender person, so this bothered me quite a bit. The largest which was pressing into my uterus and bladder was about the size of a plum and the other two inside my uterus were the size of cherries - these were the problematic ones, all the others were small.
I spent two nights in the hospital and did everything my doc told me to ensure a smooth recovery. There were painful days the first week out of the hospital and I prayed for the fourth week to arrive as most posts said this is when you feel a lot better. My doc put me on both estrogen and iron for the first 30 days after I left the hospital and progestrin on day 20. He explained that the estrogen will help with the proper healing and minimal if any scarring of the tissue in my uterus. The progestrin is to restart my menstrual cycle which is expected in to start next week. I go back to work on Oct 28th and am not sure how well I will be able to get back into the routine.
The recovery time is really more like 3 months for the internal healing as I have read on several sites and in speaking to my sister who has had 2 c-sections. The abdominal myomectomy is a similar incision, so the recovery time and process is relatively the same.
I encourage anyone considering the surgery to read alot about it, but remember that everyone will have their own experiences. The way that I dealt with taking all the different medications and side effects was to put myslef on a schedule and take it SLOW!
I wish you all good luck and will let you know how I am progressing.
Oh and one more thing, I was told that I cannot wear heels for at least another couple of weeks, so it is back to work in flats:(
Bree.
I am considering having the surgery to improve my chances of fertility.  I am 35, 4 miscarriages, now 2 years of infertility.  Can anyone tell me how much this surgery costs?  My insurance will pay, 80% after meeting the deductible.  I know how much my doctor charges, and I need to know how much the hospital, anesthesiologist, hospital stay costs to help me making this decision, which is entirely optional surgery for me.

I recently had a miscarriage due to my fibroids, I have several large and small fibroids inside the cavity as well the uterine wall. I found  a doctor that specializes in Myomectomy and saw her performing the procedure. It helped a lot, especially for my husband. He has a much better understanding of the gravity of all of this. If you want to see the procedure you can go to Long Island College Hospital website, I think it may be there under Dr. Comrie. I am not sure if I can add links to this site and don't want to violate any protocols. You can also shoot me a note and I will forward to you the link. I am not pushing anyone to use this doctor, it was just helpf for me to see the procedure.
Thanks recommending that website, I found it very helpful. I will be having my myomectomy surgery next month to have the fibroid that I have removed. I also suffered a miscarriage about 4 months ago at 14 weeks, They never told me the reason but some doctors told me that it may have been the fibroid, I think it was, there was nothing else wrong with me. Anyhow, Good luck to you and thanks again
Hopeful K
I am compelled to write this because of the ideas, experiences and advice of those suffering from fibroids that I got from different websites. They were helpful.
I got a miscarriage at 14 wks 4 months ago. I knew about it before i got preg. My Gyn said there was no need for surgery since the fibroid was outside the uterus with one large intermural on the left side-6cm before preg. and 8cm growth during pregnancy. During the operation several other fibroids were found growing next to one that was outside my left uterus and they were not seen at all during these more than 100 times of ultra sound.
I spent 3 days in the hospital. On day 1 of surgery there was little bleeding then on night of day 2, I started bleeding heavily. The nurses could not believe what I was telling them. When another shift came in, I insisted I was bleeding to much and I had a abnormally swollen stomach. A  Dr was called to examine and she immediately prescribed a medicine to stop the bleeding and I took 4 of them taking 1 tablet after every 6hrs. The bleeding stoped after 4 days with only pink discharge once in a while
I am 5 day post myomectomy and my recovery is great day by day.
I didnt want surgery, but after a long time research, it was going to be a waste of time to try to shrink fibroid of that size either naturally or by medicine.
I use to have pain and pressure on my left leg and now its all gone.
No pain killer from the day I was discharge. I have learnt trick of lying and getting out of the bed without feeling pain. I rest and wake up when I really need and I dont lift anything more than 2kg as a precaution.

I am happy I made that decision, I know it takes time to accept but once you are done with the surgery, you will be happy with the decisions you made

I have one large fibroid. The size of a grapefruit.The fibroid is blocking both of my tubes. I am scheduled to have an abdominal myomectomy of Friday Nov 20,2009. I have been trying to find recent post about this. Thank god i found this site. It seems like everybody is different.The only symptoms i have is a pregnant size belly.I dont have normal bowel movements.But my periods are normal.My dr says there is no way i will become pregnant with this fibroid.Thank you  and good luck to all.
Iatara,
Looks like we are the recent ones on here...Nov, 2009
Just turned 39 years old a couple weeks ago, never been pregnant, would like to be, if I can...
You just went in for yours 2 days ago, prob still in hospital.  I'm recovering from my myomectomy Oct 14th 2009.  So much better now with mobility and pain.  I lost too much blood when they did mine so I've been easily tired with no energy or strength, takes time and VERY day by day but you get there.  3x iron pills a day, lots of iron filled food with fiber fiber fiber!  I had 2 baseball size tumors removed and a couple smaller ones.  The Docs discovered when they opened me (c-section type) that I also have endometriosus as well as a bicornus uterus (a heart-shape split at the top of uterus, actually looks like a heart).  Turns out bicornus uterus is a birth defect that I never knew I had.  I just had my first period and it was very painful due to the inner suges constricting with the cramps. I'm starting back on birth control pills to control the endometriousus if that was also the pain.  Feel fine now.  my hemoglobin is back up so I have more energy.  I still have a very swollen abdomen that is still quite numb, that bothers me...my 6 week follow up Doc's apt is this Thurs, can't wait for the news.  Oh btw, my "seam" as I call it looks great, very neat and clean with no infections.  I'm sure it will look fine.  I'm first healing from the fibroid removal then I will deal with the MRI and an HSG (I think thats what its called?)  to look into my situation including my chances of fertility.  Those tests will have clear pictures since the ultra-sounds didn't pick up on the rest of my smaller fibroids (still in there) or the rest.
My fibroids turned out to be a small blessing finding out about my insides so that I can take the best approach to possible pregnancy.
All the best to you and your surgery.  The healing is looooonnngg and boring but have friends, family visit a lot, read, nap a lot and try to be happy cuz I think you heal better that way. God bless!
Hi  intertube,
Thanx for responding. I came home yesterday afternoon .I could not take it in the hospital.Everyone there was so nice,but i needed to be home in my own bed.I already have an 8 yr old son. I am planning on having another. The myomectomy was my only option.I havent had an appetite for anything yet. I cant sleep. My back is killing me. I actually 10 minutes ago put some icy hot on It made me feel alot better.My son has been my lil helper. lol.I really wanted to come home because they would not let him in the hospital.I am 30 yrs old. I never had to pee so many times in my life.I hate getting up. My stomach is so swollen.I pray everything goes well with your appt on Thursday.I have an appt next monday to have the stitches taken out. The dr said everything went
fine.How long did it take you to have a bowel movement? I havent eaten anything since Thursday. I"ve had plenty of gas. lol Im taking percocets which makes me feel a lil better.
I had my abdominal Myomectomy on 15 Sep 09. So I am about 10 weeks post op right now. I dont' have any incision pain but I do get shooting pain through my inner left thigh and hip pain mostly when I'm sleeping. Has anyone experienced anything like this? The leg pain is the worst, but usually again only comes at night.
latara,
Nice to be home!  To answer your question it took me a week, yes 7 days before I had a bowel movement.  I basically came home and took stool softeners and fiber, don't over do it cuz once the ball started rolling i ended up with diareah which is the last thing you want.  After a day of discomfort i always ate lots of fiber and been fine ever since.
Nice to have the staples out, isn't it?  I had to eat something 3 times a day cuz I had to take iron 3x with food.  Food may not be that interesting for a while but just eat light cuz your body needs strength to heal.  Walk around once a day to keep blood clots away.  DON"T PICK ANYTHING UP without thinking about how much it weighs, really, its surprising how heavy small, everyday objects can be.
My follow up was great, I went from my blood being low at 71 up to a 122 hemoglobin already which is really good.  I was 138 before surgery and nurse said that was perfect.  Stitches healing well.  Still look swollen, but less, still have numb, well no feeling abdomen area from under bellybutton to the scar in a small triangle.  Praying that my nerve cells regenerate, go nerves go!
Try to remember to enjoy this as time off for yourself and your family.  I have a busy lifestyle normally so it was hard to lay around so much.  So I'd do it with a face mask on one day, deep condition my hair another and had fun doing my nails.  Rest and enjoy!
I am so glad to have found this site !!! I am exactly a week post surgery where I had a myomectomy. I had 11 fibroids removed with the three largest ones giving the illusion that I had a 20 weeks pregnancy according to my doctor. My fibroids were beginning to affect my bladder and kidney. I had known I had fibroids for a while but delayed removing them because 5 years ago I had another myomectomy to remove a fibroid. They seemed to have come back in full force and  multiplied. Before my first surgery in 2004, I was put on Lupron. I was put on it as according to the doctor this was  to shrink the fibroids because it was so large. I was on it for three mths, my insurance paid for it and its only after reading these posts I realized how expensive it is. With lupron it threw me into menopause, since it stops the body from getting estrogen. I was having hot flashes, mood swings, and all the bad side effects of menopause :o( I also had no period for the time that I was on lupron. For my second surgery on 12/23/2009 I was not put on lupron.
I am so use to running around that being so stationary is killing me, and being in the house all day is driving me crazy, thank God for my family to assist me with the little things. I was prescribed Percoset but I have not been taking them since being home even though the pain is there, compare to my period pains...its bearable...lol.
Passing gas is the worst :o(
I had my first bowel movement yesterday and surprisingly enough it was not as horrible as I thought it would be. I'm hanging in there and will keep posted to this site, especially since I will be home for the next month...lol. Ladies hold your heads up, keep the faith, and know that everything will be o.k !!!

P.S I am 31 with no kids and look forward to having them when I am ready :o)~
I had myomectomy a week ago. The operation was successful, I had seven fibroid removed, gave an 18 week size pregnancy. I am 38 yr old, no child yet but I would love to have at least two starting now! My doctor told me that there is no problem except that subsequent pregnancies will be via C Section. I moved my bowel two days after the surgery with the help of suppositories. I had analgesics via psa for the first 24hrs, you press a button that releases the medication into  your veins, it was very helpful. I was placed on Persocet thereafter. The pain was the major problem for me, I could not even cough without having pain. The pain subsides each day, became more bearable for me seven day post-op. I had Oxycodone till six days after the op and changed to Ibuprofen. I was in the hospital for three days, I had to be transfused the last day because my hemoglobin count was 8%. Myomectomy is usually an elective procedure I believe, talk to your doctor about iron supplements before the Surgery or bank a pint of your blood. Also, no soda before you start moving your bowels, otherwise you get hiccups.
Sisters, having fibroid is better that Cancer so feel strong and believe all would be well in Jesus' name. God bless you!
I'm so glad to have found this discussion. I'm scheduled to have  myomectomy next week and I'm really nervous....ok terrified I have been on the equivalent of Lupron for 2 months and really felt terrible on it. I had some bleeding every day for the first month, but other than that felt fine for first two weeks -just some mild hot flashes. Then it kicked in for real- I suddenly felt so depressed, started bleeding heavily and went from sweating to freezing so many times! Thankfully it only lasted two days then I felt more normal. I had to go ahead with the second injection, and the bleeding stopped but again at the two week point, I was up all night with extreme nausea, sweating, and so agitated! I wasn't warned at all about these side effects- I think I would have asked to go without if I had known. I just have one large fibroid on the outsde of my uterus- 9cm. All the talk of problems with bowel movements makes me think I shouldn't eat for a day or two before going in! Right now I just want to run for the hills but I know I have to do it- I had very painful periods and was anaemic, but just kept putting up with it...then I felt a mass sticking out of my abdomen so that's what finally got me to the doctor. I just want things to be normal again and it seems like that will take ages! I take inspiration from your stories though. I'm generally a very positive person but these side effects really seem to be getting me down. I'm hoping the worst is over now though and will work on a positive attitude for the rest of the week. I know I am so lucky it's treatable and can be taken care of. I'm wondering how much pain and swelling will there be afterwards- will I be groggy for a few days with medication or do the pain meds not cause that? should I bring lose sweatpants to wear home?
Thanks in advance, and hope you all continue to do well on the road to recovery
Hi Phoebess,
Just signed up a few minutes ago. You should be around 6 weeks postop now, hope everything went well for you. How are you recovering?
I am having mine next Tuesday for large fibroid of 9cm. and a few small ones.
Would really appreciate if you drop a few lines on how things going for you
Nailya
Did anyone here have a hysterectomy? My surgeon was talking myomectomy then said I'd probably need a partial or a total hysterectomy. If so, I was wondering if I could hear about the pre-op and post-op's.
Too many symptoms to mention for what I'm going through...Let's just say that surgery can't come soon enough.
Thanks.
Hi Ladies! I am so glad I found this site.  I am 6 weeks post-op. I had a myomectomy on Jan. 26th.  I too was very scared initially, but VERY ANXIOUS to get it over with!  I had a Fibroid that was 2.5lbs! Plus other small ones.  I found out when I went to the hospital after having abdominal pain and feeling nauseous to the point of passing out in October. I was extremely anemic. My blood count was only at 12.  I had to have 4 blood transfusions.  I was in the hospital for 1 1/2 weeks recovering.  I caught pneumonia and my heart rate was elevated because my blood was not circulating as it should. That's when I found out about the Fibroids and possible other tumors that the MRI showed.  Initially I was scared and the doctor's told me that it might have uterine cancer and would need to have a hysterectomy. I was so upset and just felt like I had done something wrong.  All I keep saying is "how could I have let this happen to myself"...But after talking to doctors, family and friends I stopped blaming myself.  I had exploratory myomectomy.  It was called that because of everything the doctor's thought they saw in the MRI and if a hysterectomy was deemed necessary once they went in, they would do perform it.  But by the grace of God, all was needed was a myomectomy and the Fibroids made the MRI show results that were not the case once they went inside.  My surgery was successful and was able to go back to work after being out only 3 weeks.  My pain went away after the 2nd week - but had some occasional discomfort. Also the incision was itching terribly, but I'd take that over the pain any day. I has an incision that didn't require staples being removed. They prescribed birth control pills to me to help control my hormones/estrogen level for 2 months.  My period is still pretty heavy - a lot of clotting - I hate it! But it's still not as bad as it was.  I am taking iron pills 2x/day.  Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome of my surgery and finally feel normal again!  BTW - 39/no kids yet.

One question - does anyone have a lot of blood clots when on their menstrual cycle?

Stay stong ladies! God wouldn't give us we couldn't handle!
Feel free to reach out to me directly. Peace!
ScoopyP
It's been 8 wks since i had abdominal myomectomy, I still have some bladder problem as before surgery. as i had subserosal fibroids pressing on my bladder i had to go quite often and in a hurry so i don't have accidents.
Also if I walked fast get a pulsation feeling in my pelvis/ lower tummy. I'm still numb below my belly button to the scar.
Has anyone had any of the above symptoms?
with the injection prior to surgery Ionly had hot flashes (it was mainly during winter so wasn't to bad).
ultraasound
I am on day 19 since my abdominal myomectomy and I just started my cycle today. I used to have back pain, muscle soreness, vomiting, heavy bleeding (including huge clots ), headaches, and severe cramping on my cycles. The day of my surgery the doctor considered giving me a blood transfusion after he found I was severely anemic until I explained it was about a week since my last cycle had ended.This is my first day but the bleeding seems to be less heavy although the pain might still be almost as intense.  I believe this may have to do with the fact that I am not all the way healed yet. I will keep you posted.
its been 39 days since i have my surgery, Im still waiting on my period,  A friend of mine tell me to drink a lot of water i have been doing that but nothing yet.I dont know what wrong with me. the doctor that did my surgery is a infertility doctor he remove three fibroid which was on top of my uterus.  his very positive about everything but im so scare about my period delay. Im planning to go see him next week to see what going on with me. beside that I feel great, my stomach use to look like a 20 weeks pregnant but now my stomach go down, i still need to do some sit up to get it down all the way. I want to know how long your doctor tell you to wait for you TTC because my doctor tell me to wait 12 week before TTC.
It's been 42 days after my exploratory myomectomy. 3 fibroids were removed (only!!! yeah!), one was 10cm and the other two of 4-5cm. I really had no clue as to what to expect after the surgery, except what the doctor said - but that is from a dr's perspective. I actually had minimal discomfort post surgery. I would like to think that it was because  that from the moment I knew I was getting the surgery (a month and a half) I made sure I ate more healthier. I believe food can make you heal faster, better. So added more raw fruits and vegetables, cut sugars out, NO FRIED/FAST food, no soda, pretty much cut on processed food as much as possible. It was hard but thought that my recovery was very much worth the sacrifice. I was not given drugs pre op like some of the ladies that posted their messages. My period started about a week after surgery and that was painful - much more painful than before, not to mention the blood clots, plum size!! My second period post surgery was no different. I asked my doctor and said it was normal as all that area is still swollen and will take about 3-4 months to fully go down and for my period to get better. So I've been eating quite a few cherries and pineapple to help it a little - I think- and if it's not true, at least I'm eating healthier and not worring about gaining weight during my recovery (I following dr's recomendations to the t, no excersing, no lifting, not straining at all). Positive attitude pre and post surgery helps tremendously. Please take your time to recover!!! I was out for 5 weeks and I was blessed to have help during this time. I also had chance to go start working gradually, this week i'm only working half days - to get used to be sitting down- yes even now is still unconfortable to seat for long periods of time. Next week I'll be back to full shift. I'm having my sonogram follow up in September - per doctor's instructions - ASK for this type of follow up!! Take care
Thanks for sharing, girls! I'm 30 days post op. Had one huge fibroid and 5 smaller ones removed. Everything went fine, first week was hard but after that I felt fine. However, now I'm having a bit of a hard time with my period. It is very heavy and painful. Before the op I used to feel pain in all my joints and now it is just my hip. The pain seems to be concentrated on the operation area, instead of being difuse like before.

I think it must be normal, since my doc had to make huge cuts in my uterus and it's probably still healing. He told me I could do any sport I wanted but I feel it's still early, so I'm taking it easy.

I had a lot of fear before the surgery and now I'm grateful that everything was ok.
I just has my surgery on September 3rd, it went very well thank God.  I had 7of them removed 4 large ones.  The day after my surgery they removed the bandage and catether so I can go to bath room on my own...no bowel movements until late that night.  I pretty much slept on my side with pillows under my back when I was in the hospital.  It was really hard to turn to find comfortable position to sleep in.  I nurse only helped me to the bathroom once since then I've been doing everything on my own moving slowly. There was no post op bleeding, the only thing that I had a problem with and still having a problem with is all the gas pains.  My stomach is high because of them; some people think I'm pregnant also my stomach area has been numb since the surgery.  I would feel my stomach itching and I go to scratch and feel nothing.  The feeling is coming back but starting to feel pain around that area.  I sleep with body pillows and lots of pillows around me...seem to give me comfort.  I am pretty much moving around but not over doing it.  I go out side for walks and walk very slow.  I am waiting to see if my cycle will start when it should.  My wedding date depends on when my period starts.  All in all I am doing good.  Just get lots of rest and if you can have someone help you at least within the first week or two you will be good to go.  God Bless you all
I am having a myomectomy in early December.  I have 4 fibroids, all between 6-8 cm. My doc told me it can take up to 6 weeks but that most patients my age (I'm almost 41) are back to normal around 3 weeks.  I hope this will be the case with me as I'll go nuts at home for 6 weeks (and feel guilty about being away from work all that tme).  I also don't want to be stuck at home still recovering over the holidays. :(

It's good to hear about everyone's recovery experiences - it seems it really depends on the individual.  My main concerns were the recovery time, the catheter (ewww and ouch) and the scarring. But sounds like what I should really worry about is the painful gas - who knew!! :) Thanks for sharing your stories.
I had a myomectomy on 09/30/2010.  Thursday will be six weeks since the surgery and I am so glad I am on the recovery side of this.  I worried myself more leading up to the surgery than as bad as it was.  I was worried about the anesthesia and how the pain medicine would react to my body.  I have to take more OTC medicine than recommended to get any relief from pain. The surgery was a success and not a hysterectomy right now.  My doc removed 4 fibroids (1 shot put size and 3 golf balls). The recovery was difficult the first 3 weeks (I need a step stool to get into bed normally but recovering from surgery was painful getting in and out of bed). I am still swollen and have not had my period yet either.  I received the Lupron shot in late June to shrink the fibroid down for an easier surgery.  I returned back to work after 4 weeks. I did not have a bowel movement until that Tuesday when I was home but I just thought it was because I did not eat while I was in the hospital (Thursday through Saturday) I am a picky eater.  Oh the worst part for me was getting the staples out with no pain meds. My prayers are sent to everyone going through this.
I had my myomectomy done on may 05th 2011 this is one of the experience  everybody have their on way to explain it but it depend on the person body recovery in my case it took me 2 weeks full to start feeling great the bowel movement is tuff i end up taking stool softener after 7 days later cauz my belly was start getting like i was 8 months pregnant , beside that make sure you sleep with pillow on your side it help alot ,where the incision is performed you might feel alot of cramp the 2nd weeks if you are out of your medication make sure you get some tylenol extra strenght , Good luck tou ya'll . Patty
I had an abdominal myomectomy exactly one week ago. Had 13 fibroids and two cysts removed! Still in a lot of pain and extremely bloated, but so glad I did it. Noe xcuse in delaying. Every day I feel just a tad bit better but this is really an uphill battle for now.
thanks everyone for your posts, its so helpful to find people with the same exact problem!
I am 35 btw, no kids yet and planning on them asap!
i feel so sad some people had to go through tough times after myomectomy. I had a very large fibriods (16cm intramural) and some small serosal ones (i didn't ask many they were). i got them removed exactly three weeks today and felt wonderful. i started walking the second day after surgery, started taking fluids which progressed to solid in the evening of the same second day, the only pain i had was after waking up and i was given some pain reliever and had no pain afterward which was surprising cos the only pain reliever i was taking was paracetamol! had my bowel movement on the fourth day and resumed work on day 20th post surgery ( my doc said i could resume on the 12th day but i wanted more time to relax). like my doc said, walking helps you to heal faster. Also i prayed to God for strength and great pain management which he obviously answered.
This is my testimony and i hope it can help someone out there. Stay blessed.
Hi, I'm so happy to have found this site. I'm 40 years old, no kids and hopeful for a baby. I'm 7 days post op from an abdominal myomectomy, and feel fine. My doc removed nine fibroids ranging from 14cm to 5cm. My ultrasounds (I had three from three different docs) only showed two fibroids, one the size of a cantaloupe and the other an orange, but there were nine total. After two hours of surgery my doctor could not remove one fibroid that was tucked into the base of my uterus and would've required a hysterectomy. He says it will not cause any issues unless it grows, so we'll watch it. I was in the hospital two nights, first day on morphine then Percocet. I could barely move I was in so much pain but a lot of it was the gas that migrated to my right arm, giving me unbearable pain (a common side effect). Once released from the hospital (my Mom was my caregiver), I rested and took Oxycodene, but weaned myself off fairly quickly. I couldn't sit up, or do much of anything the first 48 hours home. By the second evening home, I started taking walks (1-2 miles), which made me feel better. Tons of water, healthy food, lots of rest, long walks, and laxatives to help move things was my recipe to a successful recovery. You can't rush your body and everyone is different. My only issue at this point (again, at 7 days post op), is a very bloated tummy. I look like I'm 4-5 months pregnant, which is what I looked like pre-op. Very discouraging but after reading these posts, I realize, it's not uncommon and will eventually flatten out. I'm happy I did and will report back when I'm pregnant! :) Be well and take care of yourselves.
hi everybody,very happy to be the part of this site and wish everybody a speedy recovery.its been a month since i have a myomectomy done on me.everything went fine expcept the heavy bleeding that im going through.im bleeding since my surgery done.initially it was normal and no clots.then it stoped for 4-5 days after 16 days.but on 7th of sep it has resumed back n this time heavy bleeding along with clotting.for the last couple of weeks im having pain also in my lower abdomen but with heavy flows it has stopped.
          praying to GOD for my speedy recovery as well as all of u.
I had a myoectomy in March 2011.  I have numerous intra-uterine fibroids removed a a large melon size predunculated fibroid removed.  I did not take Lupron.  I have heavy cycles and much pressure.  I was attempting to preserve fertility.  I walked into surgery a healthy professional.  Eight months later I am totally disabled.  The pain in my left thigh began my third day post-op.  It radiated down the leg with stabbing pain up my foot.  I am unable to sit for more than 10 minutes.  A trip to the Dr., my only outing, results in pain I cannot recover from.  I am on a multitude of medications to control pain which leave me stupid.  This morning at four a.m. I am sitting in a hotel in a strange city where I came in hopes to find an answer to my pain.  The Dr., an extremely kind man, said it is a case of nerve damage caused by surgery and that there is nothing to be done.  This was the fifth neurosurgeon I have seen.  

I was at the peak of my career and ready to start on that baby I had put on hold until that goal had been achieved.  I am now living on disability and could never endure a pregnancy.

I will just say in closing  know your surgeon and have as many pre-surgical tests as possible to ensure the surgeon knows what he is going in for.  Remember that the surgeons ratings may be based on happy mom's who got their beautiful little babies and not the possible mom's that lost it all.

One last comment the surgeon told me that he had removed the large fibroid, that was suctioned to the pelvic floor using both hands to break the suction, and it was the most fascinating thing he has ever seen in his career.  I would guess as fascinating as it may have been, that he probably should have given it a little thought before yanking.  Also, I have not had a cycle since something that I had every 28 days on the dot for 25 years.

Plenty of success out there just proceed with caution.

I am not editing so forgive all error's.
Hi Ladies!  It has been 27 days since having both a laparoscopy and abdominal myomectomy to remove a large fibroid in my uterus.  Before the surgery I was very nervous but prayed to God for strength and for the operation to be successful.  He answered my prayers.  One of the things that concerned me was what my reaction would be to the pain medications (heavy narcotics) because of my sensitivity to all medications.  Because of this, I opted to have a "walking epidural"  instead of an IV administered opoid like morphine.  Aside from it making me itch, I was very comfortable & able to walk around within 15 hours and go to the bathroom by myself the next day once they removed the catheter.  I had virtually no pain whatsoever and was fully alert and not loopy or nauseated which generally occurs from the use of heavy narcotics.  You definitely have to take it easy and let your body heal for a few weeks but all of the doctors and nurses wanted me to get up and move around as soon as possible because this helps increase your circulation and prevents blood clots from forming.  Not to mention, once I got home I noticed that it also helped to stimulate my bowel movements... My biggest advice to those who are preparing for their upcoming surgeries is:  Don't be afraid to ask questions and listen to your body.  If something doesn't feel right, seek medical attention right away.  BTW, I also just started my period 2 days ago and although the cramping is bothersome it seems to be a very normal/light period without the mood swings...    
Hi ladies, its so good to find this site.  i am exactly 7 days post abdominal myomectomy.I has a 13cm fibroid removed and the doc also removed a cyst that he found on my right tube.  i am very thankful that i am well as i was afraid and unsure when i went in for the operation.  The doctor says everything went on well, but i lost a lot of blood had to get 3 pints of blood.  On the night of the op my blood pressure was very low so they stopped all mophine, but the pain was bearable.  i passed gas on my second day and my bowel movement seems to be normal.  However i am experiencing a sharp pain when passing urine especially at the end its a sharp pain that is so uncomfortable.  Has anyone ever felt anything like that.  Will be going for my first after op visit this Friday and cant wait for the results.  

Good luck to all the ladies out there healing and awaiting operation.  God is faithful and true and He is the true Healer.  Take time to rest and care for yourself.  

Hello Everyone, I am six days post opt. I have my myomectomy surgery on December 1, 2011. I am still in a great deal of pain. I stayed in the hospital for two days before I was released. I have a Knot in my upper stomach and a knot near my lower incision as well as I am experiencing burning. I am scheduled to meet with my doctor on tomorrow December 8,2011 to discuss what is happening. I will post an update tomorrow.
Hey everyone...this forum has eased my worries a little...im scheduled to have my abdominal myoectomy on monday dec. 12th n im so nervous...i have never stayed in a hospital for 2 nights(only when i had my tonsils removed when i was 7) i m now 34...dont know what to expect...cant stop worrying about being cut on...also worried about recovery & blood clots....im such a worried wart!!  has any1 been on there menstrual cycle for there surgery???i think i may get mine the fri b4 my surgery n not very happy...just something else to b worried  n uncomfortable about:(
Hello to everyone.  I'm so glad to have come across this site.  I am day one after surgery.  I was originally do to have laparscopic myomectomy but I think I ended up with an abdominal due to the horizontal incision that was made at the bikini line under my belly. But I'm 36 and have been married for 16 years without ever conceiving.  So we are hoping and praying that this will help. After surgery my doctor told my husband that my uterus looked good, my tubes were fine, he removed three fibroids and everything went great. So far everything is good.  Went back to work today. Went out and got my hair done.  I'm trying to keep moving around with help of course. I'm sore but mostly where my abdominal incision.  I'm bloated and have a lot of gas which is where most of my pain is coming from.  But just recently had my first bm so I am hoping that should help give me some relief.  I took some ibuprofen in the morning to get through work( only did half a day today) but taking the tylox at night with a heating pad.  But so far so good.  I am just taking it one day at a time. Good luck and God bless you all and wishing everyone a speedy recovery.
Hi there, i know the feeling.  Went through the same process facing my op, but i just want to assure you that you are going to be fine. Yes you may feel crappy after the op, but that is normal.  Take relief in that you are dealing with professional doctors who know what they are doing and above all God is in control and will be guiding your op.  I had my periods just before the op and during the op lost a lot of blood and ended up getting blood tranfussion, but i am having pains here and there and keeping positive taking it a day at a time.  Give yourself time to heal and focus on being very positive.  I know i will be praying for you and so will many more other women who have been in our situation, so you are not alone in this.  Wish you the best and will hear from you after the op.  God bless!
Thanks for responding & the prayers.... if you dont mind me asking how old are you? were you also in the hospital for 2 nights? im trying to make myself feel better about the surgery so i will not stress out & make myself feel worse lol.... how long did your surgery last? my dr said he seen 8-10 when i had my laproscopy back in june but he thinks there mayb a lil more but not 2 many...i know every1s different with the healing process but im hoping i will b fine by christmas. im glad to hear some1 else was on there period for there surgery also....i just dont know what to expect & i do not want to feel uncomfortable about it. glad everything went well 4 u:)
Hello all. I am 3 days post op and I'm learning that I definitely have to take it easy. Being a person whom never had surgery before this,  really didn't realize the amount of discomfort I was going to feel.  So now I'm home taking it easy.  Now I'm on my period and I'm miserable.  But expect things will get better as the days goes by. But I would like to know how long will the healing process take before I can go back to work or at least be a little more mobile?  I  am getting up to move around to keep my circulation going.  Does anyone have any advice that made things easier during this recovery period?  Thank you
I am so glad I found this forum. I am 14 days post op. I had the myoectomy due to pain and infertility issues. I had the lupron shot two months prior which was supposed to have stopped the blood flow to the fibroids but also gave me menopause symptoms and stopped my period. I started my period yesterday and am concerned as its a very heavy flow and the cramping is more than usual in addition to the discomfort I'm already having through recovery. Is this normal? Are tampons okay to use or should I stick to pads? Good luck to all in recovery.
Hello every1...I had my surgery on the 12th n everything turned out ok. they removed 10 fibroids n some endo....I came home on day 3 n was really uncomfortable(I had severe lower back pain I guess from sleeping in the hospital bed sitting up.) I had 2 cough n it was very painful...I am feeling a lot better 2day...I have been walking around so much that I am tired of walking but afraid of getting blood clots....does any1 know how much walking & getting up is enough??? I had my period 4 the surgery & now I don't(guessing thats a blessing) How long should I wait b4 I can go places? starting 2 get bored staying home. Thanks
Hey dnc77, congratulations for the successful op.  i am so glad it turned out well.  By the way i am 32 yrs old  Yes coughing is going to be a very painfull at least these first few weeks, but my doctor encouraged me to cough once in a while it actually strengthens the abdominal area. Going to places can be tricky especially for me as i was getting tired very quickly and even now i am still getting tired so quickly. Sleeping can be a bit painful so try putting a pillow in between your legs or underneath your buttocks.  It has worked wonders for me.  I am taking walks 3 times a day, just very short walks to get my body to heal quickly.  i am still having a bit of pain urinating and feeling pain in my abdominal but doc says its due to catheta.  i know the worst is behind us and now am looking forward to starting my family as i have never been pregnant and have been married for 6 years now.  Am believing the best for myself and all you ladies out there.  

God bless
I am 2 weeks post abdomonal myomectomy(DEC 6 was surgery)..and feeling really good...spent 2 days in hospital..I had 2 submucosal fibroids(one 4cm on back area on left near where tubes come in and one larger(was as big as 9cm) on front top of uterus on the right--both were degenerated--which is what caused my miscarriage) removed due to repeat miscarriages.  Day of surgery in recovery wasn't bad...but prepare yourself for the day after--that was my worst day.  I did have to stay in hospital until I passed gas and moved bowel on my own at home right after that--not uncomfortable at all.  Take the colace(stool softener) they give to you the entire time you are on the pain meds--it helps!  Once I was home I started to improve quickly and just yesterday 2 wks post op, I went out and did errands on my own.  I do find that I get tired very easily even when I hardly do anything but just listen to your body and rest when you need to.  I agree with others who said everyone is different and everyone heals differently so be patient with yourself and your body.  Saw my Dr a week after surgery and she was very pleased with my progress and healing...no stitches to remove they just dissolve.  Now I just wait until Feb to start TTC again!  I just started my period right on time after the surgery and it seems same as previous to surgery(I never had fibroid symptoms--just miscarriages from them)...crampy and making me tired but flow so far on day 2 not bad at all.  I wish all of you luck and hope everything goes well!
Hi.everyone I've been reading everyone's post and ere all some what similar. I'm 27 never been pregnant and I've had 2surgeries the last one on 10/17. With my first surgery 5 where removed I also took the lupron which my insurance covered except copay I had 3 shots..the only thing 6 months after surgery they grew back . It was really depressing because of my large stomach and the constant question.of being pregnant. With the last surgery I didnt do lupron but I was told the fiborids are under my uterus and a hystermocy is needed . Which I'm.not considering the surgery was a fail.because only a few were.removed .so I'm back.at stage 1 with the large stomach.its messes with my self esteem so I dont leave the house much just work.and back and my clothes I by large. Just thought ill.share my story
Hello everyone I just had surgery on 14 of Dec.  My uterus was so big (9.9lbs) regular uterus 2.2 lbs.  I had to get my uterus out.  I feel 100% better.  I am on week 2 as of yesterday.  Been sleeping on my back mostly I have a lot of pain on my left side inside near incision.  I am happy the bleeding is over.  No more pain other than the recovering pain.  When will the pain disappear on my left side.  It feels like all my organs r on my left side.  Anyway I am just staying positive about all things.
This forum has been so helpful -- so glad I found this!  
I am scheduled for a myomectomy on Jan 25th.  Two years ago, I had a hysteroscopic myomectomy (outpatient procedure) to remove an intra-uterine fibroid.  Unfortunately, no one told me they can grow back.  A year later I needed surgery again -- it had grown back in almost the same place -- problematic for getting pregnant.  Since I wasn't ready to conceive, I decided to wait to have the surgery again.  The doctor convinced me to get the lupron shot to shrink the fibroid-- big mistake for me.  Horrible hot flashes & night sweats, a six-week long period and heavy, HEAVY bleeding and clotting, which made me anemic...only to learn during my pre-op sonogram that the fibroid had grown too large to be removed in  in the outpatient procedure.  Long story short, I go in next Wed for the abdominal procedure.  I am a little worried, but just want this OVER.  I am very active and fairly healthy other than the fibroid – I’m thinking the enforced sitting/recovery will drive me nuts.  
BTW, I am just over 40 and still want to have a baby/babies... I've been counseled to wait 9 mo before trying to conceive, which may give me some time to find the other half of the gene pool. :) Either way, I won't wait this time once I've been cleared.  If anyone has any information /personal story regarding conception after myomectomy, I’d appreciate it.
Keep me in your thoughts.  You all are in mine.  I will post an update post-op.  
I am 10 mos. post-laproscopic surgery, which resulted in hemmorhage, leading to myomectomy 2 weeks later.  I've never been in so much ongoing pain in my life! This is the worst thing I could have ever done!  If anyone had told me of the risks of myomectomy, I wouldn't have done it. the myomectomy was emergency, so I had no time to research.  I am 41 years old, fibroid preventing pregnancy and causing horrible periods.  My life was scheduled around my periods which lasted 7 to 9 days; heavy bleeding and bed-ridden pain. Woke up sore from first surgery, woke up with tremendous pain from the second surgery. Same spot that just won't quit! CT scan, MRI, blood work ~ still no answers!  Doc thinks could be a suture pinching a nerve and wants to go back in AGAIN! I can't bring myself to a third surgery for fear of making it even worse! Now, how do I live the rest of my life in this much constant pain. I don't care to even think about taking care of a baby like this. Hysterectomy then adoption may be my answer. Thanks for "listening".
i had a myomectomy on th 12/01/2012, i and at home recovering.  i went into surgery knowing that i had one large fibroid but when the doctor went in there i had 1 large one and 7 small one, she said she got them all out hope to wait six months before i start trying for kids. Saving my uterus was my one concern, but know that i still have it makes the surgery and recovery process easier.
Hi All, I 29 year old who just had an 6inch abdominal myomectomy on 1/2/2012 and i was more worried about my allergic reaction to the morphine then the actually pain. I had an epidural aswell as being under general. I woke up 2 hours later not being able to move my legs, which i couldn't feel any pain.
Next day I stopped taking the morphine and just had panadol and was fine. I went home on the 3/2/2012 and now just taking it easy, just slight pain when i forget in bed and move quickly. I stopped taking anything now it it's day 3, feel fine accept just the area is swollen and hard. I walk like a granny but that's about it. Maybe i was just lucky with having a good pain freshold. I'm even planning to go back to work on Monday 5 days after the surgery. Think my surgeon and doctors think i'm crazy but I just think it's all in your mind more then anything. People tell you things that you should feel or not feel and then you start to believe it. I'm just keeping to rule, don't carry heavy things, vacuum or drive and exercise. Hope everyone elses' surgery goes well too and all the best x
I must have been the lucky one.  I had my abdominal myomectomy on 1/19/12.  It was the size of a 18wk pregnancy.  I was up and walking outdoors by the end of week one and at the gym by the end of week two.  I'm now at week 5 and just started lifting weights again.  I feel great.  The doctor is only making me wait two months before ttc again.  This doesn't sound right to me.  Any opinions on that?
wow, you must of been. How big was your incision area? I had a 15cm cut across my stomach, that was stapled by 13 staples together so no way i could of done any gym work. Doctors advise against it as the incision can just open up if you are too active. I would wait at least 2 months just in case, as the cut through the muscles wouldn't of really healed yet, as it takes 3 months for the muscles to build back together properly. You must of been wonder woman
What a terrific site! I had an abdominal myomectomy on Feb. 21. 17 fibroids were removed- 5 large; 12 small and undetected before surgery. An 18th fibroid was left because of it's proximity to my bladder. You must get a surgeon who won't take unnecessary risks at damaging your other organs and nerves. This is considered MAJOR surgery. While some people may recover in 4 weeks, others will recover in 8 weeks or more. We must be wise about selecting our doctors, ask questions before hand, speak up when we are unsure or feel something is wrong, and ask for help when we need it.
I am 39 years old and want children. I have to wait 6 months for my uterus to completely heal before becoming pregnant. Pregnancy too early can lead to tearing ofthe uterine and bleeding which is harmful to the baby and the mother.
I spent 2 nights in the hospital and had a bad encounter with morphine. I had a bowel movement naturally 3 days after I got home. You do need assistance at home. Kudos to those who did it without any. My husband has been AWESOME (except for the car ride home where I felt every pothole). :) the gas is the worst because of the swelling a pain.
I came on this site to find out how long I will have pain? I am not taking the Percocet but still need some Tylenol at times.

Sisters stay strong and be encouraged!!
It's good to get an idea what to expect. I'm just past a month now since my abdominal myomectomy and now i feel almost normal, except i've just been eating healthy and not exercising yet just walking. My specialist said at least 6 months too. I think everyone's surgery is different too. Some people had keyhole surgery so i think the recovery time is way different then a major surgery. I know what you mean about the gas lol. My stomach was swollen for 3 weeks and i could not suck my tummy in at all, i guess the stomach muscle was cut through. I had pain till 2 and a half weeks and now my tummy is alot flatter. Morphine is the most horrible drug every, all i felt was grumpy and wanted to throw up and if i did get up i threw up. Never again.
I didn't take anything except Voltaren and panadol.

Hope you have a speedy recovery, it's the best when you have someone to help you around the home x
My incision was 7cm.  I didn't count the staples.  Based on the scar I would guess about 20 staples.   I never did any real challenging exercises.  I slowly worked back into it.  A little more every day.  My doctor and nurses wouldn't give me any answers about when I would begin exercising.  They said everyone is different.  One also kind of laughed when I asked.  
had surgery week 1/2 ago, stitches out 5 days ago. Anybody having numbness above incision? OR a "burning" sensation. I'm guessing nerves were cut and this is the healing process. can't get  a straight answer from my Dr. (not impressed) Just wondering how long this will continue. Not  a "5" for pain, LOL but definately uncomfortable PLUS the swelling!!! what's up with that? can't fit into my pants!! going back to work in 4 days. Anybody have some feedback for me?
You had the same feeling as me.....Yes numbness on my stomach above the incision for about a month then it goes away alot, not 100% but alot more normal. The burning goes after about 3-4 weeks. It's your nerves healing and it just comes on and then goes, usually at night. The great thing is , it does go away. You feel fat and swollen for a bit ......especially when you can't even suck your tummy in is so annoying. After 3 weeks the swelling went and you feel so much better. Hope you feel better soon. I'm 7 weeks post op now and feel almost normal except for the horrible scar :(
My story goes like this.
I got married in feb 2009 and my husband was overseas. I used to feel a lump in my abdomen since early 2008. Didn't know what it was until my husband asked me to get checked it out. April 2009 i go for ultrasounds and am shocked to find out i have fibroids. This is a large one measuring 10 cm in the fundus; a solitary fibroid. All my world has come crashing down at this point. I am newly wed, will i have children. I had sleepless nights and nightmares. I was hesitant to do myomectomy and possibilities thereafter.In october my husband resigns his job overseas and joins me. I wanted to try if we would have children without the myomectomy. October and counting every month thereafter i was desperate to get pregnant. Outlook was bleak. No luck till april 2010 i find out i was preggo. All the days till then was agonising. Even worse was when the following month i was at the doctors office having decided on myomectomy. i find out i was pregnant and at the same time time a week later i started bleeding. i was grief stricken.i was having a miscarriage. Doctor said the large fibroid was sucking up all blood from the baby. Finally i am having scheduled myomectomy Aug 2010. i desperately tried until august to get pregnant but no luck this time. it all seemed the large fibroid was the hinderance.august came i had the myomectomy. All this time i prayed a lot. I prayed the rosary daily morning evening and at breaks from work.i cried out to the lord to heal me from this terrible illness i had. my doctor was great too. her name millicent comrie. she is a doc at NY.
Myomectomy goes well and i started healing. Doc said no trying for six months. But after the myomectomy my husband and i was guess we were too excited to start to try again. We started to try in november and in december we hit the jackpot. Next month i find out i am pregnant and due september 2011. o my joy if only words could explain. But i went on to have a successful pregnancy with minor bleeding in March, guess because of trying too soon. I was on complete bed rest since. I gave birth to baby girl and today she is 6 months old. There goes my story of agony to joy. Today i feel truely blessed to have her in my arms. praise to lord jesus christ for he truely saved me.
Had my exploratory myomectomy on 3/20. I had 5 fibroids removed the size of large tomatoes. Surgery was my best option because of the location of one of them, I was having miscarriages. I spent 2 days in hospital after being home for 1 day, I was back in ER with pneumonia. Advise to whoever getting surgery, the breathing devise they give u to take home please use it, it helps to build ur lungs back up. I didn't , pneumonia was caught early n they gave me antibiotics..I walked the first day of surgery slouched over but as the days go by it becomes easier to walk but take it easy. It's been 16 days n I'm walking better standing up straight. The incision area is a little numb and still tender,still swollen and yes I still have some pain..I can deal with this pain but cnt deal with the pain of losing another child from those damn fibroids. I'm grateful for good insurance or I probably still be dealing with theses half *** doctors telling BS cause I dnt hav insurance(TRUTH)..I have 4wks of no sex or work says my doc..gets boring but I can do it so can all u ladies who r nervous about surgery. I was the worst patient when it comes to being nervous..make sure u have good support..God bless
I Just had a Myomectomy last month. I had one Fibroid the size of a grape fruit causing me a lot of pain for the past 2 years (i only realized i had it April of last year). I took Lupron for 6 months - the max dosage. It stopped my periods until my doctor asked if i'd like to take estrogen pills to help with the hot flashes... once i took them i got what they call a 'false period' for about a month, so i stopped taking them and had no periods for 4 months leading up the surgery.

The surgery went really well, one night stay. They gave me Oxycodone, Naproxen and Iron pills and sent me on my way... went home and passed out for 2 days... thank you drugs!

I travel a lot for work and vacations... which is why it took so long for me to get the surgery, and why it was even more of a bother, as i'm a Diving Maritime Archaeologist, and wear wetsuits most days (Yikes! Periods suck!)
- i came in 4 weeks after surgery rather then the 6 because of travel... my doctor just said, "allz well, come back when you want to have a kid."...

Symptoms after surgery were mostly getting over the drugs rather then the pain. The general anesthesia took a good 2 weeks to wear off. But the Oxycodone made me feel awful - it's suppose to make you high and out of it... so i stopped taking all medication 3 days after surgery. If i felt a stitch or pain in my side, i would take Naproxen. I was also Anemic, which just made me tired all the time... it was a good 2 week recovery for me.

It's now been 50 days since surgery and i just got my first period. My uterus hurts in the area that the fibroid was removed, but most likely from mestral contractions... which is normal.

All and all, pretty smooth ride to the finish and i'm so glad it's over - can't wait to get my life back on track, instead of hiding away for days on my period, medieval style. Mind you, i've had this for 3 years, i can't really remember what normal is... but can't wait to find out.

Good luck in your surgerys!
Hi Ladies,

Glad I found this site, just had my surgery5 days ago - June 9th, had 9 fibroids removed 2 large ones (like a large tomato). Was so nervous before the op but it really went well and I stayed in hospital for 2 nights. The first day after op was horrible for me, I threw up a lot due to Anastasia. They gave me lots of pain killers through injections that really helped with the pain. Since coming home been resting a lot, sleeping on my back has been so painful most of the time and now I'm starting to sleep on sides again. Getting out of bed was very painful the first 3 days but I'm getting the hang of it now. Most of the pain is from the gas in my stomach.  I was only spotting when at the hospital but after I started to continuously bleed like it's my period, doc says it's normal but didn't give me a straight answer as to when it will stop and he says I should still expect my period next week. my strategy is to take it slow, rest a lot and little walking exercises. Going back to the doc today to remove the stitches.

All the best to those in the same situation.
i am very lucky to have found this website at this time. going for my myomectomy next week after my menses clears; coz the nurse told me it's uncomfortable to be recovering from the surgery and having menses the same time.

the ultrascan said it's measured 16cm so been dreading the post operation and recovery period. doc said going to stay 4 days at hospital & 2 months before going back to work so this sure adds to the anxiety. started to take a soy powder which said to reduce the fibroids so hopefully by the time of the surgery, the fibroids will somehow be smaller.

anyone can tell what food to avoid & what food to consume? my friend advised me to only take porridge.

again, thank you all for the sharing & hope we all have a full recovery.
I had my myomectomy on July 2nd.  I discovered my fibroid in 2007 with my 1st and only pregnancy.  I've had no symptoms except for a growing tummy.  My pregnancy when extremely well and I have a beautiful daughter today.  My 4cm fibroid grew to 9cm at the end of my pregnancy.  I was told they sometimes shrink after the pregnancy hormones are out of your system.  

This didn't happen,  from 2007 to 2012 it grew to 15 cm and made me look 20 weeks pregnant.  My self esteem suffered from being always asked by nice people if I was expecting.  Especially in the summer it is difficult to hide a large belly that looks like pregnancy.  

I underestimated the seriousness of my surgery.  I thought I'd be in the hospital one night but I was there for 5 nights. My surgery took 4 hours and it was attached by many blood vessels.  My surgeon was a miracle worker whose hand were surely guided by the lord.  He gave me a bikini incision about 9 inches and then on the inside cut me vertically.  He couldn't get the fibroid out easily,  he ended up taking my uterus out of my body to get the fibroid out.  He knew I wanted to keep my uterus but if necessary I had agreed to a complete hysterectomy.  Most surgeons would have said this is too hard and would have done the hysterectomy but he took on the challenge.  I had 2 blood infusions during surgery and 2 more post surgery.  

Day 1 I was extremely drugged n out of it.  I had to be stable for 24 hrs before they could release me.  I had some issues with fevers, low blood count, racing heart rates, possible contagious blood bacteria, diarrhea, and dips in my potassium and magnesium levels.  
I had nassau, lack of appetite,  pain only I was on oral medicine and difficulty walking.  
All night in the hospital I was being woken for tests and blood work.  I ended up taking an Imodium (immodium) on day 5 so I could tolerate the ride home.

Coughing does hurt and u have to sleep on ur back.  It hurts to lay down and get up.  Most of my stitches will dissolve.  Most of them are on my insides.  
It been 3 1/2 weeks since surgery.  For me the most difficult is taking care of my 4 year old.  Not being able to hug her or lift her.  She like to run towards me and I have to block her.  Picking up after her is extra tiring.  I had help for 2 weeks but now I'm on my own and it's hard.  I have numbness above my incision and a lot of my tummy is gone.  I'm think some of my tummy is still swelling but some may just be weight gain since 2007.  
I'm still sore and I think because I lost half the blood in my body and I'm still anemic I'll take a while to get my full energy back.  
I tend to over exert myself walking in the heat wave and I get really winded, terrible headaches and nausea,  I need to take long naps during the day while my daughter is at camp so I can gear up to take care of her when she gets home.  
I'm so blessed to have the lord in my life because without him recovery would be awful.  
I'm so glad for this site.  Reading all your stories provides great strength.  
My advice this surgery is not minor and you need support for your mental and physical recovery.
God loves you
All the best
I'm 28 years old and do not have any kids as yet ....I have had a myomectomy surgery done just over three weeks ago....it was the most pailful and scariest thing I have ever done....For the first week I was unable to sleep without painkillers and hardly able to walk....by the next week I there was much improvement.....By the grace of God I'm recovering very well and some day be able to have kids of my own.
it's been 3 weeks since my surgery. doctor said the fibroid is the size of a coconut!! but when he told me that, i was still not over the anaesthetics so it didn't hit me until later. been at the hospital for 4 days, was given 3 packs of blood before and after surgery due to low blood count and was on drip for 2 days. the first two days were spent lying on bed but 3rd day was asked to get up and try to walk. only took antibiotics and paracetamol when running fevers the first two nights. it's not exactly painful, but the whole lower abdomen felt like stretched and bruised.

walking has been slow, but luckily urine and bowel movements became normal when reached home. guess nothing feels like home sweet home. had my stitches undone a week after surgery, but still swollen and bruised just below the belly button. hopefully it'll fade with time.

sleeping at night had never been so difficult. since i can only lay on my back, the lower back until certain time of the night will become unbearable (can't be said painful, but just very uncomfortable). so the two weeks had been between my bed and the couch with pillows popped up. friends have been suggesting taking manuka honey to help recovery (looked up in google, it also said manuka honey helps with avoiding infections). just this week been able to slowly turn to my left & right side when sleeping but still not as comfortable as pre-surgery. guess this will also take some time.

doctor didn't say to avoid any food or any movements, but my mom & friends said not to take any seafood, spicy food, beef, mutton and not to bend and lift heavy stuff.
Hi Sophie,

Just wondered how you are getting on post surgery. I too had an open myomectomy on 1st October 2012, in London UK, to remove six fibroids ( originally around 6cm long each, but luckily shrunk to the size of golf balls after a course of hormone injections)

I am 8 weeks post op and starting to feel ok. Still sleeping on my back, which I have got used to and able to do a lot more in terms of physical activity ( I had to, since I live alone)

I also wanted to ask you all how your periods have been? After the op, I bled for approx 2 weeks but only lightly. Then 6 weeks post op I had an extremely light period which was very painful ( I didn't really experience much pain during periods before my op) but I thought hey at least it's not heavy. Then, to my horror, just 2 weeks later I am experiencing an extremely heavy period which shows no sign of stopping. I feel so frustrated. I was warned by my GP and consultant that my next three periods might be heavy but just wondered if any of you have been through this phase and are now experiencing lighter periods.  I would also hope that my cycle returns to normal too, as I was as regular as clockwork, every 28 days without fail.

Aside from this, I have generally had a great recovery and am happy to answer any questions. I had a lot of great family and friends around me and their support has proved to be invaluable.

I look forward to hearing from you, Cleo xx
had my surgery done in Jamaica ( Mandeville). I had five removed ( two large ones and three small ones) It has been almost 3 weeks. you guys are right. every one experiences someting different. In the hospital i was constantly given paim medication therefore i did not feel any excrutiating pain. i spent 3 days and after being discharged i've taken little or no pain meds. constipation was not an issue as i was on an iron tablet that had a stool softener. I was able to move about unassisted before the end of week one. I was also able to sleep on my side. i notice however that if i "overdid" it i would start spotting. I therefore try to rest most of the day. i feel fine but i remind myself daily that i underwent a mojor operation and need time to heal.
it's been one week post surgery, and i still pee alot as i did before my surgery. Does anyone have this problem. oh yes i had a myomectomy.
I had an abdominal myectomy after originally going in for a laproscopic/hysterscopic procedure. Specialist prescribed 11.75mg Lupron to shrink fibroids and stop scarring due to endometriosis. Had 6 fibroids (one in the cavity and the other outside of the uterus). Surgery occurred on 12/11/12.  Incision is held together with steristrips, which should fall off on their own. As of today 12/21/12, I feel very gassy. There is numbness above incision but below my belly button. Doctor expects that I will be out of work  until 1/1/13, think I may need an additional week. Still sleep on my back, sleeping on my side is somewhat uncomfortable. Still take 800mg ibuprofen and stool softner.
On 30 Nov I had a laprosopic myomectomy and an abdominal myomectomy to remove 4 fibroids, two where the stalk type and the other 2 had grown from the size of grapes to slightly larger than an orange both where pressing on my right tube.
Uh do have a Fifth fibroids which my surgeon recommend leaving as I have not had children and removing thus one would be too dangerous..

im still having problems with my bowel movements and still having bad gas which has resulted in severe bloating.. Has anyone else experienced this??

My stomach is hard around and below the belly button i have been trying to massage thus week the 3 layers of skin as i found a video on you tube that recommends massaging as thus helps to breakdown the scar tissue..

Has anyone else tried thus?

How long is before roughly you can wear normal pants/trousers or wear jeans again as currently I'm living in 4 loose dresses as my stomach after 3 weeks from surgery still too tender and swollen..../??

Currently I'm walking and doing more light housework but not lifting heavy objects or grocery as hopping

I have found sleeping with my lulu lemon yoga mat makes it easier to get in and out if bed :)

Hope you are all recovering well and fibroid free!!
Hey

I had a myomectomy 4 December 2012 and must say mine must have been one of the easiest recoveries. I had one large 3kg fibroid as well as 5 smaller ones ranging from the size of a pea to the size of a large orange. I was on no medication prior to my procedure and still am not. Was in hospital for 3 days and literally up and about moving around by the next week (just careful of the staples and stitches).
Little bit of advice for anyone struggling with the "gas", try peppermint drops if available in your country in a glass of cooled boiled water (cheap alternative to the expensive meds). Gas passes real quickly and I also found that bowel movement is in about 30mins after that. The bloated feeling you still have is due to gas that they pump into you before the operation, this gas remains trapped in you muscle for about 6 months.
I do however find that after the procedure my menstrual cycle, which has always been regular) is now very irregular.
I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids and hypothyroidism in 2007; by 2012 I became symptomatic with the fibroids. My periods were extended by weeks not days and a constant flow, changing overnight pads by the hour. At one point my hemoglobin was 6 g/dL, my gyn doctor personally called me but I told her I was fine. My hemoglobin was way too low for surgery. So, I was injected with Lupron Depot twice every 3 months; which shuts down the ovaries and goes into menopausal symptoms: this was in the winter time. I was fanning myself everywhere I went. People must have thought I was crazy wearing tank tops in 50 degree weather. I also took Ferralet 90 (best iron supplement; easy on the stomach, by prescription only). Finally my hemoglobin was at a comfortable level, So on January 25, 2013; I had my Myomectomy. When I woke up in the recovery room, I didn’t remember anything and felt disoriented; wonderful pain management. I was in Friday morning and I was out by Sunday afternoon. I went home with 2 catheters sticking out of both sides of my stomach attached to a ball that was infusing medicine into my pelvic. Being a nurse myself the doctor said I can pull them out as soon as the medicine ball dries up. Should I bill myself for this procedure? I was off work for 6 weeks. I was given Vicodin but I only took Motrin 800 every 6 hours for 3 weeks then tapered down to every 10 hours, every 12 hours, till I only use it when I needed. I didn’t want to be sleepy with the Vicodin. I didn’t baby myself I was up as I was going to work, put on makeup, and slept when I was sleepy. I took a shower with the water to my back and didn’t rub the incision site. The only thing I couldn’t be without then and even till the day (06/28/13) is the binder. I have to have extra support on my lower abdomen. The times I felt discomfort was showering and using the restroom; the times I didn’t have the binder on. For work I use a girdle. Not only did it reshape my body but the pressure it has on the lower abdomen sooths my discomfort. Other than that, slowly but Shirley I’m getting back to exercising; playing racquetball, low impact aerobics, and later in the year I’ll try Yoga again. I try not to add pressure to lower abdomen but I get close. Other than the lower abdomen being slightly numb still; I’m back to being normal. The incision site is ugly but I apply cocoa nut oil lotion. I won’t be wearing bikinis this summer. By the end of the year I’ll go back to Zumba and a regular exercise.
My final diagnosis was endometriosis, at my age 40; the doctor said the chance for pregnancy is extremely low. But I won’t lose hope.
Hi,  thank you for your advice on the alternative for passing gas. I'm 7days post op. I'm moving around slowly but as expected, in bearable pain. I had a myo done. 4 small fibroids were removed, these wretches were causing horrible, heavy period which was full of clots. I would go through 2-3 pks of pads. The fibroids were in the uterus blocking one tube.
Still having problems getting in and out of bed.
Hi Jackie,
I'm also in Chicago and going to have the surgery done within a month or two. This all happened so fast that I don't know the name of the surgeon who will assist my ob/gyn, but the surgery will be at UIC. I will keep you updated if you like?
This is very good information. I will be having a myomectomy in October. I will take the advice about having  a merry heart!
I just had my surgery Monday 9/23/23. It all went well they took out five little suckers out of the lining of my uterus.

First day i couldn't feel is just that i had lots of phlegm and cough i was told it was part anesthesia part allergies I had before surgery. I did feel very cold and hot due to the anesthesia wearing out. I developed a rash also but it was bearable.  

Tuesday after the anesthesia wore out Dr wanted me to start moving out of bed. I sat on the edge and leaned on the little roll out table and passed out. Everything went black and i felt as if  i was going away, horrible feeling. I laid down again and tried again later.

My lovely husband and my nurse took me to the bathroom and i managed to pee and take a "shower". All this sounds like routine movements but believe me when you have an incision about 6"long in your lower abdomen that goes deep as your reproductive organs even blinking is a milestone.

Be prepared for LOTS of pain.  But think of the benefits in the long run. If you could arrange for someone strong to help you during your recovery that is a must. At least for a couple of weeks.

Prepare your lungs for the anesthesia that way you can start getting rid of the phlegm faster after the surgery, do some breathing exercises. You don't develop pneumonia this way.

Buy some above the knee night robes lose and comfy they allow for someone pull down your drawers with out exposing you unnecessarily. A cleaning wand for toilet paper and wipes help, it is a little difficult to twist at the beginning. You can find them at most drug stores.

Most likely you will have vaginal discharge (specially if you keep your uterus) and will have to wear a pad so loose granny panties are best get a few if you are a low cut undies kinda girl.

Recovery time will be  a challenge, if you've never had surgery this will help you. I wish someone had told me. I thought i was going to react like one of my friends that after her hysterectomy and GB removal was back to work like new in a week!  But every organism is different. I also have fibromyalgia and Sjogren's syndrome.

Try to sleep as much as u can (i wish i could, fibro messed up that long time ago). Put yourself little goals every day as if it was part of your prescription. Walk 50 steps, move your arms, sit for so long, etc. Prunes and chamomile (i drank a gallon during my stay at the hospital) help your bowel movements and gas  like you have no idea!

Also work out your low back and quads; most of us use our abdomen to get up and you are not gonna be able to do that. One thing that helps me is when I'm sitting on the edge of the bed i clench my butt to make a connection to my back muscles and legs. It makes it so much easier. Once i stand i clench and release and that had improved my posture from hunchback to slouch, lol.

Follow your doctors directions, stay clean, and pray for patience. You will get thru the recovery but you may also wish you were dead when the waves of pain come to get you, just be prepared and fight back. Powerful weaklings we are.

Had a laparoscopic myomectomy 8 days ago to remove a 20cm fibroid (intramural) and some endo. My recovery has been amazing aside from the constipation and gas.. but no other problems.yay!
My experience has been very emotional. I was petrified of the operation and was constantly asking myself if the risks were worth it. Would I have to have a hystarectomy? Would I react badly to the anasthetic?  
I am so glad I did it! My belly is flat again. I can pee normally. The beast took over my life and it's gone now and the surgery was worth it to me.
Ladies, laparoscopic myomectomies (minimally invasive )can be done with large fibroids!!! One of the main reasons abdominal myomectomies are performed as much as they are are because of the lack of skilled surgeons that can do the surgeries laparoscopically. If you can find a Dr. and if you qualify, I highly recommend doing it laparoscopically rather than abdominally. It's less invasive and the recovery is way quicker.
I wish you all the best!

I had myomectomy on February 19th, 2014. My OB told me she removed 52 fibroids (yes, 52!!!), the largest being 10cm in size.  I have never heard of anyone having that many fibroids. I am a small person weighing 112lbs when I went into the operating room. I was in surgery for a good while and lost 50% of my blood. I had to undergo blood transfusion and was in hospital for a good 6 days.
After 5 weeks from the day of surgery I felt good. No pain, no blood & no discharge & my 1st period had been normal. But a couple of days after feeling good, I suddenly started feeling some crippling pain in the lower section of the abdomen. At same time I noticed this pinkish sometimes brownish discharge and it seemed to relate to the level of the pain. More pain = more discharge. Sometimes the discharge is a little thick but sometimes it flows like a period. I have been in & out of ER, 4 times in April alone because of this pain. I went through CT scans with & without contrast, sonogram and the discharge was taken for tests (by the way, the discharge has no smell).
All tests show that my uterus healed well and the discharge does not show any infection in the uterus. However my second period, though it came in time, was very painful and lasted 8 days with heavy flow towards the end.
Has anyone ever gone through this? If so, how did you get treated? Are there any specialists that treat this condition? My doctor seems defeated. She kept putting me on antibiotic just in case there was an infection going on that has not been diagnosed but all I get are side effects from the antibiotics, making me sicker than I already am.
Brown/pinkish vaginal discharge has been a menace to me from 1st day of April until now. My OB (Also surgeon) recently put me on birth control pills. She says it could be endometriosis, a condition whereby tissue grows in & outside the uterus. I started taking the birth control pills 2 weeks ago and I have seen a slight change in that the pain is no longer crippling but it is still constantly there and subsides with Tylenol intake.
I have so far contacted another OBGYN and I am waiting for my appointment which is in a couple of weeks. I am just exhausted of this pain and I will totally appreciate the forums' input.
NOTE: I have not had sex in the past 2 years (for real), so I do not even know how my vagina would react to being poked. I am worried...please HELP