potential problem, down there

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

potential problem, down there

Okay i suppose i better start with some basic information. I'm 14, i've never had sex or allowed anyone to go down there at all, the thought of going to a proper doctor is way too scary and it's not the type of thing i would even consider talking to my mum about. My concerns have been going on for quite a while now and it's really getting me down. So, as much help as possible would be great!

So, i realise that every female has their own 'scent', but i'm not sure what that is supposed to smell like. To me, my smell is absolutely horrible. It's quite strong and quite musky, i'm not sure how to describe it, but it's not pleasant. I also get quite heavy discharge, which also doesn't smell very nice either. It's not itchy or yellow or green or anything and there's no way i could have an STI, it's just the smell of it and quantity of it that i find disturbing.

It would be helpful if someone could tell me what an average teenager would smell like or something and how i can make it better (diet, etc.)
It depends on the female. Do you by chance use liners at all? If so, make sure to change it FREQUENTLY or the smell will... accumulate I guess you could say.  If you do not use liners, this could also be why it is so powerful. Musky is a good way to describe it. It likely is stronger to you, because it's your own body. It likely isn't that strong to other people.

The amount of discharge a female has varies from each one. Some will have very little, others have enough to make them feel like they peed their pants. It varies depending on where in your cycle you are, as well as (at times) your level of arousal.

This is something that you will have for the rest of your life, so preventive things to just deal with it as it comes work best. If you don't use liners, it would be good to start and to make sure you change them often. This will also keep you clean and prevent staining. Make sure you wear cotton underwear and change them frequently as well (once a day is usually enough). Making sure you consume enough water is also good. Do NOT douche (this is extremely important) as it interferes with the bacteria levels and makes you more prone to infection. When you wash, use warm water and a very mild soap to clean yourself. Don't go crazy with it, and don't scrub.

Is it just smelly or are you having any other discomfort? Are you itchy at all? Or feeling uncomfortable at all?
it's not itchy, but i guess because of how much there is sometimes its pretty uncomfortable which is just purely frustrating other than anything else
Thank you, i think that's put a lot of my concerns at bay. I don't want to start using liners because i don't even use pads because they feel like nappys which is vile haha. so i'll start drinking a lot more water and see if that makes a difference! Thank you for the advice
Liners are extremely thin, so you shouldn't notice them. If you choose not to that's fine, it's just something to keep in mind. I know at your age I didn't use them (though they were pointless) but after I had my first child I realized how important they actually were and now I use them daily.
specialmom commented on veronica0808's status
4 mins ago
kerri2628 added the Pregnancy Tracker
6 mins ago
kerri2628 added the Pregnancy Tracker
7 mins ago
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals