pregnancy and joint pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

pregnancy and joint pain

I tried to post this on maternal, but is was full... I am 10wk and just the last few days I have had a lot of pain in my hands. Like the joints ache. I have never had anything like this before. Not that is is connected but I have also been having back pain, which I know is normal in pg, plus I have always had some back pain -kinda sad at 26!- any info would be great :) I couldnt find anything in any of my books about it. The only mention of hand pain was linked to thyroid problems - which I have never had. thanks in advance. (feel free to use this for other ?'s)
It's actually not uncommon to have pain/swelling especially in the wrists and hands.  It comes from the extra swelling you have when pregnant, something about the carpal tunnel, etc.  You could try googling "carpal tunnel and pregnancy".  My hands used to go numb every night while i was pregnant, but when baby comes, its all supposed to fix itself.  Good luck--MH
thank you for the info - ateague I am surrounded by pillows already, DH thinks he will be sleeping in another room in a few more months b/c my pillows have taken over our queen size bed! Ha:)
I do type at work and write a lot, so hopefullY i can cut back some. Thanks again for the info
I have heard of pregnancy increasing your chances of carpal tunnel syndrome.  Do you type alot or work with you hands?  You might consider cutting back on that kind of work and see if it helps.  Yeah, back pain is big in pregnancy.  I'm having the hardest time right now, (almost 19 weeks) I have to sleep with one pillow underneath my back and two pillow between my legs for hip pain.
I am 8 weeks pg and I am getting bad pains the past 3 days from my shoulders down my arms to the tips of my fingers, it is really painful especially when i lie down. Does anyone know what this is or how to ease the pain ? :)