pregnant and lifting my baby

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

pregnant and lifting my baby

hi everybody i hope your having nice days sorry to post here but maternal child is always full by the time i wake up here in australia in the morning.question is i am just over 17 weeks pregnant and have a 6 and a half month old baby who weighs 9 kgs as you all no 6 month olds need lots of picking up to get around do you all think this is very safe its just shes getting bigger everyday.i havent asked my doctor yet as we have been away 4 2 months worrking so finally going to see him on the 30/1 will ask then thanx all.
Avatar n tn
A 6 month old should not be much of a problem.  As long as you are not having complications from it, you should be fine.  

I still pick my 3 year old up some.  And I am now 36 weeks pregnant.  I have not had any problems with it.  I try to avoid it as much as possible since he is 3, but every now and then I have to (like when he is asleep of gets hurt or something like that).  My hubby fusses at me, but with him not here, I have to make due.  

I think you should be fine.  I would mention it to the dr, but the fact of the matter is, a 6 month old is going to have to be picked up frequently, so what can you do.  

My sisters kids were a year and 11 days apart.  So she had to pick my nephew up all the time, and she had no problems from it.  

Best wishes,

Amanda
Avatar n tn
thanx for your comment yeah my 6 month old is already 9 kilos though i worry about a few months time sometimes when i pick her up i can feel it straining my stomach.my nexy baby will be due exactly 1 week befor my daughters 1st birthday i think i mite go grey lol just joking have a nice day.
Avatar n tn
unless your a high risk pregnancy picking up your 6 month old should be no problem. Even after a c section they still let you pick up at least 10 pounds. You will be one busy women when your baby arrives!.Good luck to you
Avatar n tn
It is now known that unless you are having pregnancy complications (bleeding, placenta previa, recurrent miscarriages etc...) it is not harmful at all to pick up your other children...in fact...it's beneficial for the other children's well-being :).

I have 5 children and while pregnant carried my 30lb 2 year old in a back pack and my 15 pound 1 year old in a sling at the same time and walked a 1/3 of a mile through the woods to my mother-in-law's house in the snow...didn't have any problems with it. I have a friend who at 5 months pregnant went parasailing and a few friends who ski even into their third trimesters. My midwife jogged 4 miles almost every day during her last pregnancy.

I don't recommend skiing, parasailing and jogging more than 3 miles per day during pregnancy but my point is that picking up a 9kg or bigger baby isn't going to be harmful for a woman with a healthy pregnancy. There are no studies to support that idea.

Enjoy your baby while he/she is still a baby. The new little one will be along soon enough and your attention will be divided. My first two babies were 15 months apart...it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it tremendously :).

Love and Prayers, Kelly
Avatar n tn
I also carried my 2 year old while I was pregnant with my last son, no problem........also, sometimes if you stop doing things with your older one becuase you are pregnant, your baby may feel resentment toward the new baby, I was worried about that when I had my second son, looked up some stuff that said if anything is different(ie-you have a problem picking up your six month old)to not tell her that you cant pick her up becuase you are pregnant, to say something like, your back hurts, dont associate any negative change in your daughters eyes with the new baby.....even after the baby is born, like, if your daughter sleeps in your bed now, dont make her stop right when the new baby is born, do it before or awhile after, ok, sorry, got WAY off the subject there sorry.....anyhow, my point, it is good to keep picking up your daughter through your pregnancy, as long as your dont rest her anywhere on/to close to your belly...as long as you dont have complications, it wont hurt the baby, and your 6 month old wont begin to feel uncomfortable with idea of a new baby.
Avatar n tn
thanx ladies heaps for your advice i feel a little better now and cant wait for my new baby to come and share our special life good luck to all you trying to conceive.
Avatar n tn
Like childrenrtreasures, I also have 5. They were all right at 18-20 months apart. My first pregnancy was the ONLY one where I didn't have another baby on my hip. Or two.LOL Just watch out for your back and HOW you lift. If you do notice any strains or pain in your back or abdominal muscles, let your doctor know right away. --Just a bit of trivia I heard, but have NO idea if it's true.. If you lift your child EVERY day from the day it's born, you will be able to lift him/her when they are a fully grown adult!-- Can you imagine lifting your 35 year old son that weighs 200 pounds??? Like I said.. Just a bit of info I heard a long time ago, but NO i didn't test the theory.LOL
Have a great day and congrats on the new babies!
--J
Avatar n tn
thanx for that advide phew i couldent imagine carrying that weight 200 pounds i spose the theory would be right its like anything you do your body slowly gets used to it. 5 kids wow you did well did they turn you grey just kidin its just now my 6 month old is teething havent had much sleep lately going grey getting ols lol im only 23 have a good day.
Avatar n tn
I don't actually have a 200 pound son or daughter yet.. LOL And I had to stop picking them up years ago.. I have a few odd stray gray hairs that pop out now and again but I think the kids have kept me young. I like to think so anyways. There ages are 10 year old girl,11 year old girl,13 year old boy,15 year old boy and 16 year old girl. I am ONLY 36 heeheehee. Just turned 36 on the 10th of Jan. and girl hold on tight. You are in for a ride. It is fast and scarey, but so much FUN. And the time passes SO quickly. You blink and BAM they are teenagers! So have fun with tose precious little moments and try to get some rest.
--J
pb95 commented on photo
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
pb95 commented on mhv's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals