pregnant or perimenopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

pregnant or perimenopause

I am 41, have had 5 children and my new husband had a vasectomy like 20 yrs ago. I havent had a period since November and have been quite regular before that. My cervix is high soft and closed with a lot of CM. I also have had nipple discharge and  I also have gained weight even with excercise and dieting. I don't really want to get a test yet, because of the small town I live in. What do all of you guys think? Just wanted a little input before I embarrass myself by getting a test.

Thanks :)
How old were the rest of the women in your family when they went through menopause? That could be a clue as to whether you are about to go through it. Generally, perimenopause begins with irregular periods, not periods just stopping in general. What symptoms did you experience with your previous pregnancies? Are you experiencing those right now? As I think you know, even with a vasectomy, they don't always gaurantee that a man will remain sterile, unlike when a woman gets her tubes tied. So pregnacy could be a possibility. However weight gain isn't just a sign of pregnancy, it can go with perimenopause as well. The nipple discharge is a little concerning to me, as this could indicate certain breast conditions or even cancer. You can check out a breast cancer website to research what's consider "normal" nipple discharge and what's abnormal/when to see a doctor. So what I suggest is compare your age to other women in your family who went through menopause, comapre your current symptoms to those you had with your previous pregnancies, and also give it until when you next period is due before taking a test, say the first of next month. And of course, look into the nipple discharge to ensure it's a healthy kind. Good luck with whatever the outcome may be, and best wishes!

Sara RN

Sara RN
The other women in my family didn't go through menopause until their 50's. I have had 5 children, and each one was was a little different. I have already missed 2 periods and in 3 days it will be 3 missed periods/ I guess I will get a test whn I go out of town. On the nipple discharge, not to concerned, because it's star/clear colored

Thanks so much

quien
Hmm, three periods is getting a bit lengthy, so I think you are right to get a pregnency test, but I'm sorry you have to go out of town! You must live in a small town, my goodness! That's great the nipple discharge is clear, and not sticky. If the test is negative and you have a gynecologist, or primary doctor, I might suggest scheduling an appointment to discuss why your period is not coming. There could be a simple explanation, such as diet/exercise, as that can cause loss of periods actually, but it's always good to get checked out by a doctor, just in case. Good luck and best wishes :)

Sara RN