pubic hair removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

pubic hair removal

I hope this does not seem silly....Is removing the pubic hair safe?  My husband would love most of it removed for sexual pleasure.  I have done it once or twice to please him but worry that removing all the hair takes away a protective barier.
I don't believe so... I'll be honest, its not something I've researched but I shave it off from time to time myself and have had no problems with it before..  You can get it waxed to make it last longer or even lasered off for permenant removal if you're willing to shell out the cash for it.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't worry about it being harmful.
Thanks for the responses.
Noxema makes awesome little razors to help shave that delicate area. Many stores like Walgreen's sell them : ) Ad ditto on the bikini zone, it helps dramatically!

Andi
~Personal opinion~
I can't stand the way it feels when it is growing back.  It's like the worst kind of stubble!!  And..when it gets long enough, it sticks through your undies/pants and drives me nuts!
I'm with Oceans3.  Makes it seem like a little kid to me.  Funny, I've always thought that, but never heard anyone else say it out loud.

Bye, all--MH
It's fine. Think of it this way - does hair provide a protective barrier on your legs or underarms? Do you cut the hair on your head? :-) There's nothing special about pubic hair.

I think most young women shave, with decreasing popularity among older women. I've personally been shaving completely for about 8 years now and I love it. I grew my hair back *briefly* after my husband and I saw some old 70s porn (all that hairiness looked kinda hot after all these years), but that got old fast. I think if you like shaving, you should go for it ;-) There's certainly no reason not to.
ya know, you are right. i shave my underarms, legs, tops of big toe, bikini line (LOL..TMI) but not down there. it just makes me feel so childish! like i said, i did it once and kept looking down and thinking about childhood. oh, yet another thing to get over i guess!!! LOL. it is what it is! it just seems so much more natural to shave armpits.
seriously, the itchiness is unbearable (for me) and while i sometimes feel like a monkey with my dark hair, i just dont have the "guts" to shave it all off.
would anybody say that there are more woman that shave it all than dont? or the other way around. just an informal poll!
ya know, just out of curiosity, why do men like the area (which is meant to have hair) shaved? i get bothered by it because it's as if you are a little girl who has not hit puberty yet.
i tried it once and it was soooo itchy i did not do it again. i do shave the bikini line but when its ALL shaved i think child. that idea rubs me the wrong way (no pun intended). MEN! LOL!
To me it feels much cleaner to shave, dh and I have done it for years. It is all personal preference.

Andi
I forgot. I once read an informal gyn poll that suggested most women in their teens/twenties shave, with decreasing popularity among older women.
I don't know about growing it back. I shave at least every other day - so there's never itching or discomfort at all ;-)
I tried removing the public hair... and the itch was unbearable.... is there any way that I can do to reduce the itchness?  I shave one every 2 week.
my friend just started shaving and i asked her about the itchiness. i think the key is to shave often (like every couple days). thats what i have been hearing anyway. i still cannot get over how it looks when the hair is gone. doesnt look natural or something. maybe one day i will give it a try.
Tee hee! I would TOTALLY feel like a child if I shaved the whole "thing"! ha ha! Not to mention I'm susceptible (sp?) to ingrown hairs so I will NEVER even want to try and see what happens! When I shave the top area, it itches like crazy, I could only imagine if I shaved everything! LOL!
i want to know whether using one of those hair removal creams in the pubic area will be safe ! .. shaving does cause a lot of itch n i want the area to be completely smooth !! .. thanks :D
OK, this is a really strange issue that I have not seen addressed anywhere, but here it goes....
I am over 45 and very few body parts are sagging due to good work-outs.  However, I would love to shave clean in the pubic area, but the "plump" area "down there" has sagged some with age. I have also lost a lot of weight.  ANY idea what to do to plump things back up like you would for collagen injections or something? This is an embarassing body part that makes me a bit self-concious during oral sex. It is not a big deal because it is not that bad, but yet it bothers me.
AND my other big worry with shaving the entire region is the ingrown hairs. I have a terrible time with those just around the bikini line. I have very course hair.
Well, there you have it.  I just bared all.....
Veet for men (GEL/CREAM) works a treat!! Its designed for the face... so very sensitive and great for course hair!! Also, I noticed alot less ingrowns !!
mild hair removers DO work THERE..
If you decide to do it (which i recommend) use a Mens Razor...i use Gillete Fusion (with the vibrator thing so that your hair comes up, making it easier to shave). And after you shave (at night), don't wear any panties because it will irratate you, causing bumbs and itchiness. So just throw on some comfy sleepy pants or boxers(with the least skin contact) Silk feels the best and causes the least amount of irritation (for me), good luck!
wow people...Waxing all the way!  Everything off but a strip at the top about 1 1/2 wide! Shaving = too much work, every other day. Waxing = forget about it for TWO WEEKS!
I have the opposite problem. I am 64 and have lots of pubic hair from above and on the sides of my vagina up to my anus opening and have lost none of it! I have two sisters and they told me they have lost 1/3 of their pubic hair. I have black pubic hair with about 25% gray/white which actually looks cool. Is it out of sync to still have all my pubic hair since I started growing it at 12 at 64?

I have never shaved my pubic hair but would like to trim it a bit just to say i did it once. Are their any professionals who do this?
I'm a 49-year-old and have never shaved my pubic hair - maybe a slight trim for a bathing suit.  I personally like hair on men and women and don't understand this shaving and waxing stuff.  To each his own I guess.  I haven't been in a relationship in awhile but most men have been very turned on by my hair.
"There's certainly no reason not to."

Oh yes there is! I get the problems of ingrown hairs when I shave or wax down there. It's most annoying.
I need your help!!!
Last week I just recently trimmed my pubic hair quite short.  Now I am itching all the time.  For a few days now I have gotton up at laset two times from the itch. Is there anything I can do or buy to calm the itching?   It's driving me NUTS! !!
where is public hair waxing done in bangalore
I've been shaving my bikini line forever, A few tips I have to help:

*Always shave WITH the grain.  
*Witch Hazel is supposed to help with ingrown hairs, use it after shaving.  
*Or I opt to use a natural moisturizer like Alcohol & Dye Free Aloe Vera Gel.  It dries quick and relieves itching.  
*Lastly, if you work out a lot or sweat a lot down there, like in the summer time this is awesome, use Dove Sensitive Skin Deoderant. I was skeptical at first, but just use a little bit and rub it on your inner thighs where you sweat.  Even if you have razor burn, use it. I notice the red bumps seem to be caused by sweat.  

I swear by all this, as I am an exotic dancer and need to be sure that area is up to par.  
Oh My God Ladies! Do Not Put Chemicles Near Your Flower!!!!! Could Turn Very BADDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My friend might get fingered for the first time and doesn't know whether to shave it all off or not! Is it best to trim it or wax/shave the whole area off? Her boyfriend hasn't had any experience before her, apart from obviously what he's seen on the internet...
Which do you think would be best guys????

xox Matilda

xox Matilda
I watched on Discovery Health and read in articles that pubic hair is unnecessary. Many doctors/scientist believe that homo erectus had pubic hair for protection, but homo sapiens don't need it on account that we have developed clothing. Pubic hair removal has some benefits. Pubic hair can cause odor and skin irritation. I don't know about you, but its a hassle having pubic hair when menstruating. I prefer to shave or use bikini hair removal creams. I feel cleaner and sexier.
If you all have problems with itching or stubble apply cortisone or OTC creams that protect against itching there
companies like Veet and Nair make special hair removing creams for "sensitive areas" like the bikini and underarms. Just make sure you read the directions and watch where you are applying the cream
sorry this is really late, but for now she should trim. If its his first time he may be freaked out by the hair. If he has a problem after trimming, then shave by feeling around with one hand and shaving with the other or by using a mirror so that you can see. its probably easier if you have one leg up or sitting with legs open
Wow, so many varied opinions here! :)  Here's mine (just to add another LOL).  I am a 41yo woman who shaves the ENTIRE pubic area regularly.  I do this for two reasons: hair attracts odor-causing bacteria, and my husband enjoys being able to see me down there without hair in the way.  This is NOT 'weird' in any way for either of us.  I honestly beleive that men who like it shaved are not perverts, but just want to see it.  Plus, it makes for easy-access, and alot less friction. :) - Blu
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. My boyfriend says the same thing. He like it that way, and he says it is better for oral as well.
I must say you have to do it all the time and be up on it, or else it looks gross and feels really yucky when you let it grow back a bit.
OMG the embarrassment of having someone else do it though.  Generally im not a prude, but letting someone work down there, other than my Gynocologist....IDK!  Any good waxes out here so I can do it myself?
Actually the hair is a protective barrier. It was created on arms and underarms especially as we loose heat and it's are way of staying warm. When we get chilled we get 'goose bumps' and the hair raises, giving an insulated layer of air to keep us warm (it's how clothing layering works, or down jackets, for example).

While pubic hair is to stop stuff going in you, we are clothed animals, and our clothing tends to be a great barrier these days. Just keep the clothes clean enough, of course.

Here's a fun note for you: in the long -ago days prostitutes used to shave as it helped them deal with crabs (body lice) but it was seen as ugly so they made 'merkins' which they'd attach to themselves as fake 'hair'. ;)