rectal bleeding during period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

rectal bleeding during period

Every  month I seem to start my cycle with rectal bleeding. Nothing vaginal, just rectal (only when I move my bowels)for about 3-4 days then I start vaginal bleeding. I have had a colonoscopy almost a year ago for this same exact problem but they didnt find anything. Its now at the point where I will end my period..and about 2 weeks later...my rectal bleeding will start again with my vaginal bleeding starting a week after. Im getting scared, Im not sure what it could be. They thought maybe Rectal endimetriosis but like I said...nothing showed in my colonoscopy. ANy ideas or suggestions on what kind of any other kind of testing?
Thank you
A similar thing just happened to me.  The evening before my period began I had a normal size bowel movement and then experienced rectal bleeding the next morning I began my period.  I am really scared.  Any ideas about what this could be?
by far the most common cause of rectal bleeding which occurs only with a bowel movement (and without pain) is hemorrhoids. Having had colonoscopy, it's highly unlikely anything more serious is lurking. It's more likely to be coincidence that it relates to a period; I've seen a few cases of rectal endometriosis, and it's usually easy to see the lesions. You might consider seeing a colorectal surgeon, or general surgeon, although it's more a matter of ruling out serious causes; having had a scope, it's not very likely that something dangerous has been missed.
I got my periods 2 weeks back but still i'm getting bleeding, i mean i'm getting for weeks, i dont think that its my periods becouse the blood color is so bright red.I'm scared of that, what i have to do?I'm having constipation also.Is it abnormal bleeding or rectal bleeding or vaginal bleeding? Give me suggestion please
I have recently learned that my sister, in Australia, has this same problem.  She, too, has started down the long path of doctors, specialists, colonoscopy, etc.  So far all of this has excluded cancer and endometriosis but not found anything else.

However, just last week she was talking to a doctor at the hospital where Mum was operated on for bowel cancer and she asked him about her own problem.  His answer sounds very logical so we would like to share it with all you women who are in the same boat.

The doctor explained that my sister no doubt has some extremely tiny hemorrhoids which normally do not bleed or give her any trouble.  However, just before her menstrual period begins, the changes in hormone levels cause the veins in the colon to swell enormously.  Since my sister suffers from constipation the result is bleeding from these hemorrhoids.  Once her period is over, the hemorrhoids return to their normal size and the bleeding stops – until the following month.

For the past few months, to help her constipation and irritable bowel, she has been taking psyllium husks.  The result is that the stools are much softer.  An additional, unexpected result has been the absence of rectal bleeding during her period!

So the doctor’s explanation certainly seems to make sense.  My sister asked me to share her experience hoping it may be of help to some of you.

I too have been having the same kind of problems. I have been having horriable rectal bleeding usually a couple days before my period along with really bad cramping. Then usually two days later I will get my period, my period will be normal for 2 days then usually on the third day it will get very heavy i am talking about changing a super tampon every 20 to 30 min and this will continue for about 3 more days. I also have been getting my period every two weeks for the last 6 months. I have been in the emergency room i have seen rectal doctors and with my gyno i have had a laperoscopy and a D&C. Now in on 2/1/08 I had a baby with a c-section and at that time I had a tubel ligation. When the did the laperoscopy and D&C on 7/17/09 they did find  alot of scar tissue and my tube was fused to my pelvics so she fixed all that. So we both thought that would fix out my problems, well it didn't. I am still having the symptoms and the pain has gotten worse. They are now taking about a hesterectomy. They one thing that I don't understand is they say the rectal bleeding does not have to do with my period problem. It seems unlikley that I would have all this together but it not being related. Oh ya, one more thing during my pregnancy I was diagnosed with SVT of the heart that they said was do to horomones and yes i still am dealing with that problem as well. Please help I am at the end of my rope.
i have this problem for 15 years every time i get my period i bleed from my back passage,quite heavy.the bleeding only last as long as my period.i had an endoscop and so far the surgeon only found inflammation in my bowel.he has also taken some tissue to examine.i am at my wits end.only last week i collapsed at home.i am getting so weak at the time of my period i have even started to loose strenght in my arms and hands.i thought i had endo but they just dont know
i m 36....thanx so much .. yr explanation really help me a lot as i m having hamorroids problem....i was really scared about my this issue... hope this will solve once the hamorroids will solve.. i would appreciate if some1 will help to advise how can i heal my hamorroids at home.. i m taking homeopathic medicine to treat it... my email id is fizzah_sharif***@**** or facebook id is fizzah sharif.. please help me as i m so worry..