recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis - HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis - HELP!

HELP!  I keep getting these BV infections.  I take the metrogel for 5 days as directed, it clears up for maybe a month or so, then it is back again.  I am sick & tired of going to OB/Gyn every few months & paying time & time again for another round of metro-gel.  

Has anyone experienced this and found a way to stop the repetition?
i dont know if this helps, I have had two BV infections and after that I had enough! the dr told me it was b/c semen was upsetting the ph in my body, so every time after sex I would urinate. (also heard it was good for UTI's) this helped. Maybe it was all in my head, but I have never had one again. Good luck!
Is your partner being treated?  The one time when I had a bv the doctor wrote a script for both of us.  If that isn't the case I have no idea.  Does the doctor give you a reason for the reoccurance?  That would be the best place to start.  If the doctor dosen't give a reason - go somewhere else.  There is probably a doctor that does know why.
I had this same problem, but I bounced back and forth from yeast to bacterial for over a year. It was horrible!! My husband and I were both treated and I tried everything else you can imagine. This may sound crazy but my doctor prescribed me boric acid suppositories. I inserted one at bedtime (slept on a towel because it melts and gets runny) for maybe 10 days. In addition to this I was treated with oral medication instead of creams. Diflucan for YI and a some certain antibiotic for BV. I always urinate after sex and cleanse the area with water and  never change laundry detergent. I've been ok for several years now. I understand how frustrating this can be, keep trying to work with a doctor and if your doesn't seem to be taking a thorough approach see someone else. It took me 3 different doctors and at the third office I saw another doc because mine was booked, he's the one who had the boric acid idea. Talk about luck!
Boric acid seems to work - and make sure you are eating a LOT of yoghurt with active bacteria.
I looked up Boric Acid & am only finding how it treats yeast infections.  Please let me know if you used for yeast or BV?  Thanks!
It was not to treat either type of infection. My doc prescribed oral medication to treat whichever type I happened to be having at that perticular time because I got one or the other every other week or so. When I was treated with oral meds and in the "everything seems to be fine stage" before one came back, he prescribed the boric acid. He said it helped restore the balance in the vagina that I seemed to be having trouble doing on my own. Since it wasn't a treatment it won't clear anything up, but it was a solution to the reoccuring issue. Hope that helps.
Great!  Thanks...I will try this.   I too go back & forth between them but largely due to the metrogel causes the yeast.  It seems you know my frustration!! Thanks again!
I have had the same thing happen to me as well with antibiotics so I was advised for the yeast part anyways to eat lots of yogurt.