recurrent bacterial vaginosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

recurrent bacterial vaginosis

Oh lord where do I begin. I've been suffering from recurrent bacterial vaginosis for OVER 10 yrs. Get treated with antibiotics, then it's cured, then the very next time I have sex, it's back again.
Now I have a husband and trying to conceive our 1st child. But the cycle is repeating itself now. I'm 31 yrs old and have a commited, MONOGOMOUS relationship. And I still come down with bv all the time!! Get treated, wait to have sex, then when I do the white discharge is back and I'm so sick of going to the doctor's. I have it right now! I have already been screened for STD's & HIV many times and always come back negative-except for the BV. The doctors just don't help-only prescribe meds. Can having bv prevent me from conceiving??
HELP!! I'M SICK OF THE ANTIBIOTICS THAT TREAT BV BUT ALWAYS, ALWAYS RECURS!!!!
Is the white discharge the only symptom?  Maybe you're not dealing with bv.
Yes the white discharge is the only symptom. Medication does treat it but it always comes back. Thanks.
BV will recur because it has to do with a imbalance in your body..somewhere..to tired to keep going. I have suffered from it for a while

believe me..try boric acid. Purchase over the counter..you use a small amount. Fill a applicator (from yeast infection kit) with about 1 inch of boric acid. Insert it into your vagina (sorry hate to be too graphic). You should do it for a about a week. After that you insert every other day. Believe me this works...my doctor (University Hospital ..Lenox Avenue Brooklyn, NY) used this method to treat me. I have to tell you the smell associated with BV will be GONE! I love it and don't know what I would have done without it. I have been doing this for over 5 years now.

University Hospital bklyn NY call them and ask for Lorraine ..I forgot her last name,...yikes she works in the infectious disease dept..I believe it is on the 4th floor of the hospital.

Boric Acid is the way to go..I am sure you can google it and look up the use of boric acid for vaginitis.

btw..if you don't expernience odor..chances are it is not BV
What I'm thinking is, if the white discharge is the only symptom, no smell, no irritation, there may not be anything wrong.   It just may be the body changing over time.  If you keep treating with antibiotics and there is no reason for them, you will be setting yourself up for some real trouble.   Do the docs do a ph test to determine if your vagina is acidic enough?

If your ph is to high, boric acid will help with that and there are no side effects from using it.
Thanks for the advice.
Yes I've had a PH test and yes its BV. I'll try the boric acid thing. But is there something I can use once and for all to beat it??
I too have been suffering for BV, but not as long as you, mine has been ongoing since May 07. I'm going to try the Boric acid as well, let me know if this works for you. GS.COM, do you remember your doctor's name? I live in the NY are and I'm desperate to find a decent doctor who can help me out. Thank You!
Well i have been suffering from BV for the last three months, and the only thing the doctors are telling me is that i need to keep using condoms. I do use condoms, but it seems like BV just keeps coming back and im only involved with two people. Please help!!
Well, i am not an expert in your problem, but I get these irritating yeast infections all the time (and it may be that bv is not a yeast infection, but it sounds like it is very similiar), but only during pregnancy. I am currently 23 weeks along. My doc is always on me to drink water! As annoying as this may sound, I find that when I am drinking plenty of fluids (especially water), I am pretty much free of the irritating yeast infections. Hope this helps.
Did your doctor ever tell you exactly what type of bacteria it was that was causing the BV. There are stories about women with recurrent Group B Strep infections that are helped with a combination of antibiotics and other treatments.  

It may also help to ask that your husband is also treated at the same time as these "normal" bacteria can be carried by both partners.

And are you partaking in oral sex also? The mouth can harbor lots of germs that can affect you.

Otherwise, has anyone considered nutritional approaches, especially those that can alter your body's pH?

Are your outbreaks cyclical that they may be coinciding with your natural hormonal fluctuations?

Just some other ideas that may help you take a different approach to the problem.
For anyone with Bacteria viginitis please go to rockwellnutrition.com and look at thier BV protocol under womans health! I had chronic BV with all the burning and itching I almost went crazy I stood in the kitchen with ice cubes "up there" becuase the burning was so bad I was put on flaygl for 34 DAYS! and clindemiacin inserts the whole time and it did nothing!!!!! it actually continued to get worse through all the abxs! finally  I met a woman that told me about probiotics and rockwell....it saved my life and my sanity! I am 26 and had never had even heard of BV before this! I thought it was a yeast infection until the doc said BV! the doc never told me I had another option besides abxs but you do  and all the over counter stuff for intching and burning never helped me one bit just made it burn or itch more! rockwell makes these vit A and Vit E suppositoties that with one use has my itching and burning gone! I also used pharmetutical grade probiotics, boric acid that comes in caps already allicin (which is a type of garlic mix pill) and the best was the probiotic suppositories!!!! they are the only company that makes these! atleast go check the website out! it is an amazing company who help woman with issues like this along with candia/yeast infections! my BV started to get better after 3 days and was gone with in 3 weeks and I have never had to go back to the doc my last pap I was BV free the only think I still take is the probiotics, allicin and borric acid (only during my period) its easy and it works! It was a horrible experience I got this after a uterine infection after the birth of my daughter in Nov of 06 and they pumped me full of antibitotics for 3 weeks through IV that wiped my system out of "good bacteri" which my doc never explained to me! I also went to the grocery store and bought a medicine syringe and wash the vaginal area wiht peroxide which helps becuase BV happens because there isnt enought good bacteria and good bacteria basically is oxygen and thats what peroxide is. IT works! check it out!
does boric acid work and does it cure the infection? can u have sexual intercourse while useing boric acid? does the boric powder work just as good, i bought boric acid today and i am not quite sure how to use it or how much to use... can anyone help me with this...i am hoping this will keep me from going to dr so much...and also i heard that douching with hydrogen perixide works too...is that true? thanks hope for replys...i need the help....

i hav been suffering from vaginal odor for many years now and i hav developed some kind of rash on the outter part of my vagina, pls help me i don know what to do next-i tried ****** and vaginal creams but it seems like they only make my condition worse, i cant even hav good sex with my partner bcos im afraid of the terrible smell that comes out of me-it is so imbarrasing.

from: tattooQ
I am 20 years old and i have had bv for almost 2 years. i have only been sexually active for about a year, and its always with the same person. I have been to the gyno many times, and she gives me medicens X,Y, and Z and nothing ever works for me. (sorry for the detail) but i have milky white discharg and a fishy odder. i dont know what to do to stop it. i have even tried not having sex after i was cured and it still comes back. what can i do??? its so frustraiting!!!! Please Help!
Business_woman2
I had BV for YEARS even though I was in a monogamous relationship and although the meds helped, I always got the BV back the second I had sex with my boyfriend again.

Well, turns out the simple solution was to give him the SAME meds (Flagyl pills, in my case) because although the bacteria isn't detectable on a guy, he probably re-infected me over and over. NO doctor even suggested I try this!  But it was the easy answer to end years of suffering.

So double up on your prescription and make sure your guy takes the same pills simultaneously and see if the problem doesn't go away. once and for all!!!
Yes.....diet and water helps a WHOLE lot....decreasing your sugar intake as well as eating yogurt or takin a probiotic pill will kill the bad bacteria...also try drinkin water with lemon or vinegar.....this help kills the bad bacteria in the stomach and urine.....bacteria feasts on moist and sweet areas.....also have your doctor check you for hpv.....if you are positive for this there could be a lesion on the cervix that can and will produce symptoms of ongoing bv.....hope this helps!