ruptured hemorrhagic ovarian cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

ruptured hemorrhagic ovarian cyst

I am trying to figure out what is going on with me, about a month ago I was seen in the ER for extreme abdominal pain with vomiting, etc.  After an ultrasound I was told that I had a small hemorrhagic cyst on my right ovary that only measured 1.6 cm x 1.5 cm, no free fluid was seen in the cul-de-sac and no adnexal mass was seen.  US also showed a 2 cm exophytic left sided uterine fibroid.  The ER doctor said that the cyst had ruptured and was bleeding a little bit outside of the cyst.  I have had a lot of stomach discomfort, lower right quadrant pain that radiates upwards, pain during bowel movements, tired, mood swings, bloating and tenderness.  Pain comes and go and a month later still have these bouts.  When I went to my gynecologist she instantly acted that this was not possible for the following reasons:

1.  There was no free fluid found
2.  I started my period the next day

She wanted me to get a CT scan to rule out appendicitis which turned out negative.

I am annoyed that my dr. did not read over US findings and automatically assumed the ER made an incorrect diagnosis.  I now have to pay the price of CT scan.  The pain I am feeling is real and I am very confused.  My main questions are:

1. Can a small hemorrhagic cyst rupture without free fluid  detected on the ultrasound?  Could it be that it was such a small cyst that the small amount of blood  was not detectible?

2.  Is it possible for this rupture to happen the day before my period?

Thanks for your help, I just want to figure this out and feel better!
I have been in this kind of pain for six months.I also had a cyst on right ovary......... The pain is terrible, and it also hurts after bowerl movement.I had ct scan.dr. diagnosed me with IBS....... When I called last week in pain bloating she told me to put heat and take a motrin. Sorry but I think she gave a wrong diagnosis. Have another dr. look at your ct scan report and see what he comes up with.....It is nice to know that I am not alone.............I hope we both begin to feel better soon.Diane.Let me know how you make out.
Thank you for your response, how large was your cyst and did it rupture also?  It is crazy that  a cyst so small can cause so much pain, I can't imagine if it had been a larger cyst that had ruptured!  I also have IBS that flairs up at times but recently I have not been bothered by these types of symptoms.  The dr.s had also mentioned possible endemetriosis but my periods are very regular, it has only been the last 6 months or so that I have noticed my periods gradually getting more painful.  I am going to go to another gynecologist and maybe have better luck, hope you feel better!
I have been in your shoes. I have had a couple of episodes like that, one ct saw free fluid and I didn't even go for help this time because I knew what was happening. Athough the pain makes you feel like an ER visit is needed and that something really bad is happening. I guess I keep hearing the same comments every time I seek help and don't want the tests over and over. The pain does last a while. My last rupture was 11 days ago and my pain still waxes and wanes. I was interested to see that you mentioned the mood swings because up until this year I had not experienced them and I really was wondering what was wrong with me. I have always been gentle mild and slow to anger, but now with all these cyst problems I don't recognize myself. I, like you don't feel like i get good answers to my problems. They want me to try BC and hormones to help but I am very weary of them.
Although small, when those cysts rupture they can be painful.  Have any of you had a vaginal ultrasound?  Women will have follicular cysts each month as part of the ovulation process.  The problems start when they cysts grow.  But, the doctor won't know unless they look.  I think that if you feel passed off by your doctor then go to see another one.  We all deserve to be listened to.

Good luck!  
what causes these cyst to rupture and where can I do more research on it? I have searched for hours on the causes of rupture, but everywhere just tells me the definitions, symptoms, and treatment of a cyst. Nothing tells me the causes.
hi! my mother had so many problems with ovarian cysts, the eventually had her ovaries removed.... looks like our problem is genetic, as i have also had my fair share of cysts, and i'm only 27! so to answer your questions- you period has NOTHING to do with it... completely seperate issues- fuggedaboutit! :) they can rupture anytime they want to- nothing causes it- or provokes it- or prolongs it. yes, they can have fluid that is undetected.... those suckers can be so small! almost 2 years ago i saw a new obgyn- told him i was having a lot of pain, and he did a vaginal ultrasound in the office- detected a cyst, but was more concerned about the uterine polyps he found- which i didn't know i had! had laprascopic surgery about a month later, and i have been pain free for almost 2 years now! i think you should just find a different ob who is more informed. i have no idea if the polyps are somehow related to the cysts, but since they were removed- i have had no pain from cysts at all!
im sooo scared im only 21 years old n i when to the emergency room today n they toll me i have hemorrhagic cyst i want to know if i can still get pregnant??????
It is possible to still become pregant even with homorrahgic ovarian cysts. I have had them for over 5 years and i just found out on my 23rd birthday that this problem has been going on for some time now. I have a daughter who will be 2 on June 3rd. I reccomend seeing your Gynocolegist to talk about your opptions. However it may be a bit harder to concieve (conceive) it is possible. I no longer want anymore children so I am considering the idea of a complete hysterectomy however it will make me go cthrough early menopause I can no longer deal with the pain and complications associated with these cysts. Eeveryone is different but ovarian cysts are very common in most females around the child bearing years so no need for alarm just see your doctor to explore your options.
wow I just went through all of this I end up in the hospital with a ruptured cyst
,I have been in and out of the hospital for months with pain stomach problems loss of appetite and im glad to find out exactly what it was and im not crazy,, and I also did notice that I  wasgetting  worse cramps during my menstrual cycle 2,  thanks to all of you to share your stories I do feel a little more comfortable (unfortunately )knowing I'm not alone..