sex during period...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

sex during period...

We just out of control to have xxx during her period. I have been feeling guilty  for a whole month...Anybody can tell me the worst result? Any remedy...?
Sorry and thank u...
I'm not sure what you're question is. Are you worried about her getting pregnant?
I don't understand what your saying. If you messed up you don't have to make another post, just put in on the original.
I'm just afraid she will get infected.
and somebody told me that could lead to sterility. Is that TRUE?
Good lord no. Having sex while she's on her period is just fine, won't cause any health problems at all. However, remember that unless she's on the pill she can still get pregnant on her period (although it's less likely), so make sure you're using some form of birth control.
Wait a minute... infected with what? Do you have a STD?
absolutely no. Just because I got from a pamphlet that women during period are at high risk to get infected which can ultimately lead to sterility:(
Monkeyflower - I'm glad u figured that one out.

glamour fish - i don't see anything wrong with doing it while on your pd. I haven't heard of it causing an infection .
What pamphlet? From where? Because their claims certainly aren't medically true, unless perhaps you misunderstood. Having sex on your period is perfectly fine.
Are there some cultures that believe sex during menstruation is taboo?

glamourfish, where do you live?
question to you guys. I have had sex on my period for the first time in 10 years and trying to conceive my 3rd child. Now. heres the question, after you stop the BC pill (and its been 3 months) why am i not getting pregnant? it only took me like 1 1/2 months with my other two.. Now, i have had precancer cells which i was treated for with cryotherapy but both dr's said ALL CLEAR TO TRY AND CONCIEVE (conceive) so what do you think is wrong here? please help
actually it is true, and more harmful to the man, the blood can cause infections and if it was something always done can make u sterile. Its a medical fact, Ive asked the dr and asked others to ask and all confirm my answer. It was a one off so all should be ok but dont make a habit of it, and if u must just use protection
It's perfectly safe to have sex during AF. Now, if the woman already has some type of infection, the blood can make it easier to pass on to her partner. But an infection won't just develop from having sex during that time.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/41/1687_50059.htm
Where do you live? mslkpage is right on the mark about some cultures holding different ideas about sex during your period. But that's a cultural belief, not a scientific/medical fact. Sex during your period is most definitely fine from a medical perspective.

Oh - or are you thinking the presence of her period could increase the possibility of transmission of HIV?
I think angel was saying if you a man is always having sex w/you while your on your period, it can cause infertility, which is nothing more than a religous myth.
I live in Beijing, the capital of mainland China...but it's nothing to do with the Chinese culture, I just checked several authoritative medical help book specialized in women's health and they all said it should be forbidden to have sex during period to avoid dangerous infections...
hey I had sex once with a guy while I was on my period. We used a condom but I got bacterial vaginosis. But I think women can get that sometimes when they have sex with a new partner. At the time I thought it was b/c of me being on my period. I don't think it does anything major besides making a mess.
Thanks for clearing it up--that explains it :-) No, that IS a Chinese/eastern medicine belief. Western medicine agrees that it's perfectly safe, and doesn't increase the risk of infections, sterility or anything else. If you read a western book on women's health, or visited any western medical sites, all would assure you that having sex during your period is fine.
Can you get HIV from having sex while on your period if neither partner has aids or HIV???

you can get HIV from having sex off your period. it doesnt matter if your on or off your period. you or your partner has to have HIV or AIDS to get it through sexual intercourse
can you get Hiv or aids from having sex while you are on your period if neither you or your partner has no STD or HIV/AIDs infection?