sex on the pill and amoxicillin
My girlfriend and I had sex about two weeks ago for about three or four minutes, without a condom. I never climaxed or ejaculated before we stopped. It was our first time having sex that day and I had urinated atleast 5 or 6 times that day before intercourse. She is on the pill but has been on strong antibiotics 500mg (amoxicillin) for about 2 weeks leading up to that point. How safe do you think we are in regards to pregnancy?  I understand that any time you have sex, you take the chance of pregnancy but just wanted to know people's thoughts under these specific circumstances?  Do you think the chances are good/bad etc?   thanx
You just asked the same ? several posts down.   I know you aren't getting the response you want but no one can tell you for sure.
I suggest turning this into an open forum so the space isn't wasted.
I posted this below, but I'll copy it again here...

With the exception of rifamprin, antibiotics do NOT alter the effectiveness of birth control. Now, before anyone starts posting about how their best friend's sister's boyfriend's cousin's exgirlfriend got pregnant while taking antibiotics and the pill, remember that the pill is not 100% effective. Studies have shown that the percentage of women getting pregnant while on the pill and antibiotics is exactly the same as the percentage of women who got pregnant while just taking the pill. d
have 2 kids....get the hint!  You already voiced your opinion and I want other people's opinions.  thanks
Wow Mikey, a bit hostile.  The only 100% guarentee against pregnancy is to not have sexual intercourse.  That being said, be safe.  Dont have sex without protection.  If your girlfriend turns up pregnant then good luck, if not consider this a life lesson and be more careful.  

**if you want opinions you dont have to post several times, people will reply if they have something to say.
thanks gonza for the advice
good luck waiting for the  "sunshine up your butt" fairy to show up today and tell you exactly what you want to hear.
LOL! *sunshine up your butt fairy* that's a good one!

Mikey,your chances are probably 99.999% sure your girlfrien is NOT pregnant.
mikey, it is a bit risky, but your girlf. should be fine. if you pulled out before you ejaculated, chances are nil.  the women who get pregnant on the pill would regardless of antibiotics. there are some women out there who are just extremely fertile, but 99% of the rest of us are not, and respond well to birth control.  you're going to have wait until her period, which shoudn't be too far away if she's already passed her 2nd week of pills. don't worry too much.
everyone's opinion on this topic is so varied, but as I can recall, every doctor who's ever given me penicillin has said there is no effect on the bcp and the pharmacists always tell you that they will effect the pill.
I conducted a little experiment this month to find out what I could.  a woman can take her basal body temperature while being on the pill to confirm that she is in fact, not ovulating.  you all may think I'm nuts, but I reduced my own anxiety by about 95% by doing this.  when you ovulate, your body makes progesterone. this will raise the basal body temperature. also, when the corpeus luteum releases the egg from the ovaries, it produces more of the female hormone that is responsible for the basal body temperature spike. if you get pregnant, the temperatures will continue to rise. women who are very good at this save themselves countless money by not wasting it on home preg. tests.
I was on penicillin for pretty much a whole month while taking my birth control pills.  I took my bbt everyday that month and I did not ovulate.  my temperature stayed well below ovulation levels. also I did not spot, so the penicillin seemed to have no effect.
I no longer take my temp's everyday, usually about once a week just to make sure I am below ovulating temps.
so I'd say the odds are in your favor mikey, and you don't need to worry!  they are not 50/50 like someone said to you before. you are right, you are a hell of a lot more protected with the pill then no pill at all. huge difference!!! if you pulled out I'd say your chance is around 2% and that's not something you need to sweat.
thankyou shygirl,...you were very informative and helped me greatly.  Thanks
good one.  You just sit on here all day and play doctor huh?  Get a life !!
I work in a pharmacy, and many of the antibiotics pop up as interacting with bcp, we warn our patients, but I'm sure not all of them have the same effect.  I'm allergic to pen.  so I haven't had any literature on that personally, but I do know that according to the drug info we have in our system, an alert will pop up on some of those antibiotics.  As for posting twice, I can understand wanting an answer, but it isn't necessary to snap at a poster calling you out on it, it sucks, but you just have to wait it out and have her take a test if she's late.  Surprised a guy has all this time to come onto a pregnancy site, not a bad thing, just a surprise, my husband kind of glosses over after so long of hearing about pregnancy.