shooting pain in tailbone area only during period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Please can anyone help me? For the last 6 months or so I've begun experiencing this bizarre & sudden pain ONLY during my period, generally on day 2. It almost feels like some kind of muscle spasm. It's a sharp, shooting pain near my tailbone, also near my rectum & vagina, but most specifically on my backside near my tailbone. It happens suddenly & the pain is so strong that it will stop me dead in my tracks. If I happen to be sitting or lying down when it happens the pain makes my rear lift off the seat or bed, it's an automatic response. It is so severe that it takes my breath away & i end up shaking from the pain. It's even more awful when I'm trying to have a bowel movement. Last month during my period the attacks were so bad while I was desperately trying to relieve myself on the toilet my husband had to come into the bathroom & help me stay seated upright on the toilet so I could properly relieve myself. Also last month the pain attacks were coming every 2 minutes for about 3 hours on the evening of day day 2 of my  period, I was sobbing in pain & trying to climgb the stairs to get into bed & I could not walk up the stairs because the pain was so bad. That was probably the worst incidence so far. The attacks can occur 5 times in an hour & be over, or can happen on & off throughout the day, there does not seem to be any pattern with that. It will wake me up from a dead sleep. Perhaps this is related information, or not, but during my period for the last 6 months I also become super super constipated, which I never experienced during my period before. I wonder if the two syptoms (symptoms) are connected? I am 30yrs old, no children yet, married, otherwise good health.