should I bother going further pregnancy tests?
I am 43 yrs old, 8 months ago I miscarried with a blighted ovum and now I just had a 6 week sonogram that showed an ovoid shaped sac, no fetus, no yolk sac..nothing doc says to have hCG done but I know those rise with a blighted ovum anyway...should I even bother doing anything or just schedule a d&c? I am really tired of crying and waiting and am ready to say It's over
Maybe it would be worth it to have 2 sets done, 48 hours apart and look for the doubling. If they rise but don't double, you can probably assume another bighted ovum. I am so sorry. It is very unusual to have more than one as they are generally considered "flukes." And i do understand your desire to make peace with it and move forward with the surgery. I played that awful numbers game with my blighted ovum in 2003 and hated it. I would have much rather just had the u/s that showed what was going on and then move on from there. It took a few weeks of the numbers thing, I fired that doc, found a new one who immediately got me in for an u/s which showed the blighted ovum and I was able to come to terms with it completely. I opted to m/c at home, for me it enabled me to find a sense of closure and peace. After only one cycle I was pregnant again and he is now about to celebrate his 2nd birthday.

Don't give up hope. I endured 3 losses before having my 4 year old, the one between the boys, and another one in Dec. I am now 16 weeks with our third child. There was a point in my life after my third loss when I felt all hope was lost. I tried to remain optimistic and in time things happened.

I am very sorry for what you are going through. Please don't give up hope.

Andi
Cry, as it is truly sad, but don't give up.  I am 40 and today I am off to the gyno for a scan but think it is a blighted ovum. I have hashimoto/hypothyroidism so the chances of it being a child is minimal but still it hurts.  I haven't had any children either but still live in hope and go through the experience.  Do the tests as it is better to know and work to try again. Hope and prayers are all some of us girls got.  My heart is with you.  Take care and stay in contact.