smelling viginal discharge like decay meat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

please for the pst 3 month  i have a smelling discharge that smell like decay meat and at times like grated yam. this odor is more pronouced after having intetrcourse with my husband. and i do have thick cheesy white discharge especially when i am ovulating. iam  27 year old and iam married. my husband is irritated bythis odor and has stop having sex wth me. he is scared it is  STD .i have treted my self using metronidazole, canesten viginal tablet and cream. i also notice for some month that the ovulation mucus during ovulation is dirty brown.and my menstration flow is dirty brown.i menstrurate for 3days and the forth and fifth day i see dirth brown discharge.iam not feeling any pain at all in my abdomen and i don't have any itching in my viginal.
please i also  want to know why my husband no longer enjoying sex with me. he do enjoy it before but for the past 3 month he has been complaining. iam faithful 2 him and he is the second guy in my life i have slept with ,i have never had never been comfirmed preg. please i need an advice  and is ther any one that it has happen to .
please some one to educate me on how my husband can enjoy sex with me.
please i need an urgent reply.
is it possible to be menstruating normally and still be pregnant.
do you see a gynocologist regularly? you should go each year for a check up (or obviously if something is not right) which in your case it sounds as if you definitly need to make an appointment to go in.
we all have some type of "odor/smell" to our vaginas but when the smell is foul, like you have described, then it could be a bacterial infection like bacterial vaginosis. in addition, the texture of your discharge doent sound right either. is it possible that at some point you left a tampon in there? i know it sounds crazy and many of us have done that but that would cause an odor and the odd bleeding.
as far as your husband feels about sex. you say you have not been with anyone but has he? i'm only saying that because he is quick to suggest an std? why would he suggest that if he knew he was faithful? or he has some reason not to trust you?
personally, i am BIG into smells. things have to smell pleasant. i would NOT want to be with someone sexually if an odor was present. it just does not arouse me/turn me on. its a turn off. i am very conscious about showering before sex and making sure that it smells fresh as a daisy down there. any odor is embarassing to me.
the only thing that you can do is do see your dr. to treat whatever it is you have. they will run the proper tests based upon your symptoms. in the meantime, just use a mild soap down there (no douches, bath gels, powders). best of luck to you.
you need to make an appointment and have yourself checked out
Its better to look into something before it gets worse. As for your hubby maybe its the odour? Many things can affect sexual desire, not necessarly you! Have you talked openly about this?
i forgot to mention..you said that your husband has been complaining about sex. i assumed it was due to the odor you are experiencing? is that correct? what specifically has he been complaining about? the "act"? the smell? or lack of sex?
I'm not sure if you use tampons or not but if you do is it possible you forgot one in there?  It happens!  

You need to get to a doctor.
thanks for the answers. it brougth a great relif. i will see a doctor in respect to it. but is there any kind of reason why my menstrural flow is dirty bown and what is the effect of this bacteria. can i treat it at home my self using metronidazole. i don't use tampo at all i use pad instead
i wouldnt use a thing if i were you..not until you see your obgyn. you could make this worse. i dont know why the dark brown blood. i get that myself sometimes before my period comes but mostly after/when its ending. i like when i see it because it means my monthly "friend" is leaving! sometimes its brown for a few days until it goes back to the normal whitish/clear discharge. from what i gather the brown blood is old blood and that part is normal. however, you seem to have that dark brown as your period so i am really not sure. maybe someone else can answer that for you but there is just no getting around this. you need to make an appt. to clear this up. you will be happy you went and your hubby will be too!
take care and call!
oceans3 and the others are SO right. You cannot treat this yourself. You need prescription medications and a REAL diagnosis as to what is wrong. It coud be many things from infection to STD's anything! But you know that something is wrong. When blood gets old, it turns brown, not to be gross, but just like if you were to lay out a fresh red steak for a day on the counter. It will turn brown. This means the blood is pooling up or trapped within for a bit of time before you are seeing it flow. It could be normal in some cases, but given the discharge and odor, I think it is something that needs to be dealt with.
As for your husband not feeling romantic. It really could just be the odor that is bothering him like he said. So get to the doctors and get the problem fixed. the odor will be gone and he should be ready to resume activities as normal. If he isn't then you will know that it is something maybe more significant that will need to be handled between the two of you. Talk to him. Ask him what is going on? Communication is ALWAYS a good thing. And honestly, you probably shouldn't be having relations until the "problem" has been treated, because you can pass things back and forth, never totally getting rid of it.
I hope you will take the advice and stop trying to treat this at home and go to a REAL doctor. You could even go to Planned Parenthood, or Local Health Dept. Great docs there that are ready to help you!
Keep us posted, go to the Doctor, and please talk to your husband.. Not necessarily in that order.
--J
Sounds like bacterial vaginosis, metronidazole is the correct med but it needs to be taken 500mg 2/day for at least 3 days , with no alcohol. Also do not douche it will destroy all of the good bacteria in your vagina which allows the bad bacteria to grow. Please get checked ASAP. thanks.jesse. Also 80% of men have this bacteria on there penis so make sure he cleans well and maybe consider using condoms if this problem happens on a continual basis.
How long how you been married?  and how long has this been happening?  Don't drive yourself crazy about an adultry situation, but don't be stupid either.  It's like thinking your kid never does anything wrong and then something really bad happens and you look like a big loser!!  You can definately get an infection, even something as simple as a yeast infection, from your husband.  Has he been circumsized?  He could be harboring bacteria in there and giving it to you.  I don't want to sound crazy, but GO GO GO TO A OB/GYN ASAP!!!!!!  Lots of people have these problems.  So don't feel embarassed.  Just think if you die you don't want people to say (after you are gone) that you died from a vaginal infection.  They will say, "Why didn't she go to the doctor?" Don't sweat the little things.  Also to your husband: he should not just "write you off" because you have something you really can't help.  What has he said about this?  Is he supportive?  Why hasn't he pushed you more to go to the doctor?  God gave us sex as a gift to bring us as husband and wife together.  It is a sin in God's eyes to with hold this from your spouse. (which I need to look at myself in the mirror when I say that, but that's another issue!!LOL!!) Best of luck!!
OOOooo I agree with your comment FunkyNina, especially the question about if the husband has been circumcised... I've heard stories of BV(bacterial Vanginosis) reoccurring because the hubby wasn't circumcised.  Of course I'm not a doctor so the best solution personally is to take yourself and the hubby to the doctor.

I mean that smell can be of Trichomoniasis, Vaginitis, any type of STD or simply something else.  Hygiene can contribute to the situation.  But if it does happen to be something bacterial, the use of anti-fungals can increase the amount of bacterial growth.

As far as your husband goes, you have to ask him what's going on.  It might be that the situation has become unbearable or he actually is having symptoms himself.

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be scared to take you and your husband to the doctors for a full physical and a GYN check up.  He must get it too. Don't forget the blood tests as well, HIV.. Syphilis, Hep B, etc...  Just to find out exactly what's going on.

Best Wishes,

~Jazze
I just wanted to say thanks about your comment. I had the same problem and until you mentioned the whole tampon thing I had remembered that Last week I questioned if i had one in or not but since I didnt see a string I just put another one in and one week later I am having these bad problems!
Thanks again!!!
I do not use tampons, Sex with my husband is few and far between as physical problems occur, however, I know he's faithful (no i'm not niave, I literally have proof he's faithful, but that's personal.) I have had 3 kids and have no STD's whatsoever, never been with anyone else.

I have the same problem, however, the only time I experience this 'Necrotic Menstration' as I've dubbed it, is only during a period. And it's kinda rare. I've only smelled it three times before this particular time...after I had each of my 3 kids. I had C-Sections with all three of them and the period afterward was so foul that I actually have a video tape of me in my parent's living room at christmas with my dad across the room sniffing the air asking what that rotten meat smell was...and the consequent search for said dead rodent under the couches...I high tailed it to the bathroom for a good cleaning and give my cheeks time to cool down. I actually found that video tape a few months ago and it was all I could do not to erase it.

I don't know what this is, but I was told by my gynecologist years ago that each woman gets pregnant around 10-13 times and never knows it as they miscarry within a week or two of conception and their body simply absorbs the fetus. Having a regular period afterward...that might smell different. Now, he didn't say exactly 'how' different, this is my guess. My tubes are tied, so for me to get pregnant would be bad and the chance of me miscarrying is very high. So perhaps what we are smelling is the aftereffects of a miscarriage. And yes it would be a good idea to go to a gyn, cause I'm just taking a shot in the dark from the added clues. This mentstration has never hurt me, but I can't afford to go to the dr. for several more weeks until husbands new insurance kicks in.

As for the husband not wanting to have sex...men and women both are primitive beings underneath, our sense of smell is phenominal. Not that we have super sniffers like a bloodhound, but it's amazing in the fact that it can smell even trace smells and we notice them only on a subconcious level. Pheremones for instance. We can only smell pheremones subconciously for the most part. So, if you're emitting a 'death smell' well, subconciously he may act like every other animal that smells something dead that 'they' didn't kill...run away like a chicken and hope whatever killed your 'cat' doesn't kill them....subconciously, of course. *winks*
I had a son not too long ago and during my pregnancy I had what you are speaking out.  The bad discharge...The works...I had to talked to my GYOB about it after I had had my son...she had told me that it seems like I would have had an infection.  Women get infections alot and your husband should just get on the computer and do some research. Seems to me like you just have a infection.  Make sure that you go to your family doctor and get med. for it.
I have been having the same problem with the odor and the dirty brown coloring for the past week...not to mention my cycle has been going on for ten - twelve days now! I, too, didn't think about a tampon, but I do remember last week wondering if I had taken one out, but alas, like Jessi, I didn't see a string. I just went and got checked for STDs because within the past year, the one person I was with for approx. 3 weeks apparently was seeing someone else who has a REALLY bad reputation (just found out). So, my UA (urine analysis) came back abnormal and I have to see another doctor, but I'm really embarrassed about the odor because it is just as you described and I've never experienced that before.  
I am a 27 year old woman i just got married and its my first time having sex-  my concern is i have thick white stuff (mushy grain like )  coming out. is that normal? i am a bit concern my husband thinks its not normal-but some sort of complication.  please advise should i go see the doctor?  this only happens when were have a intercourse
hiii.

okay so about maybe 2 weeks ago, i started to get a fishy, meet decaying smell that was abnormally stronger then usual just as you all are talking about.  then about a week ago i was having sex with my boyfriend and a sort of black/brownish discharge came out on the condom, i thought maybe i was about to get my period later that night or the next day, but i didnt, and he was saying his penis hurt because it felt like there was a "pencil or something" inside of my vagina like poking at his penis...  then he as fingering me later and he said it felt as if i had a hard ball in there... and so now i have my period and it doesnt smell until i take my tampon out and i smell the meat decaying smell and its horrible.  i dont know what it is?
I smell the samething and everytime I go to the Dr she tells me everything is fine. But last year I lost a baby so maybe when they had to terminate my pregnancy something must had happen because the ordor is really bad.
hey it could be something that i am having a yeast infection and i have the same problem but they gave me some antibiotics, and yeast cream  and i had to stop using scented soap anything that haves scented stuff don't use it down in your vagina area at all and eat  a lot of protein like fruits and stuff and drank plenty of water and cranberry juice
i would just like to say that i also had a foul odour and brown discharge it wasn't until i read this and seen about the tampon thing, it turned out that i inserted a tampon on Tues and had sex that night and also the next morning and then again on Friday and Saturday not knowing i left the tampon in for 5days.So you can imagine how foul smelling i was,after sex my husband said to me why does your vagina smell sooo bad.I felt embarrassed and humiliated.But when i read this i had to go see for myself,and yes i put my 3fingers up my vagina and sure enough i pulled it out.What a relief to know that's all it wasThank God.sincerely Sandy Kusi
OMG! my bf just pulled out an old death smelling tampon out of my vagina! i've been complaining of death smelling vaginal bleeding for a week when my period started then it continued bleeding brown blood but smelt like death! so i came online trying to research what could be the cause coz i thought it could be cancer...& i'm 27 yr old mommy of 3 kids too! i was not ready to die...and yes i have no health insurance so that's y I have not seen the GYN. women who have this same problem...insert your fingers so deep in the vagina & check for anything that feels unsual or different...i almost couldnt recognize if what i felt was different but i took the chance of having my bf check it out too...and he felt it...& i had his long fingers try to pull it out...it took a while & embarrassing but better than thinking i'm gonna die of cancer. It's OLD TAMPON STUCK INSIDE!
WHAT DID THEY SAY! I KNOW YOU CANT HAVE A TAMPON LEFT IN THERE FOR A YEAR? I HAV THE BROWN DIRTY DISCHARGE, THE FOUL SMELL. IDK IF ITS COMING THRU MY PORES. IVE RESEARCHED KETONES, DIABETES. I WASH REG. AND AFTER A WHILE IT COMES BACK. MY CYCLE IS REDDISHBROWN AND NOT FISHY BUT SMELLS REALLY ROTTEN! THE SMELL IS WORST NEARING MY CYCLE, BADDD DURING, AND BACK TO ITS REG. STINKIN SMELL AFTER. I CAN TELL PPL SMELL IT.
MY UTERUS IS SHORT, I HAD MY TUBES BURNED 12YRS AGO. THIS SMELL STARTED A YEAR AGO, LIKE MILDEW OR SOMETHIN. NOW IT HAS PROGRESSED TO SOME OTHER SMELL BUT IDK WHAT...I JUST SMELLS LOUD AND WRONG.
IM ON MY CYCLE NOW AND REMOVED MY TAMPON AND THE SMELL ALMOST KNOCKED ME OUT(no lie)!
IVE HAD ENOUGH AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! I DONT WHAT ANOTHER BANDADE DIAGNOSIS FRM DOCTORS I WANT MY LIFE BACK.
I am 18 & I been havin the same situation too I jus went for a check up an goin to get my results in 2 days doctor says it could be a misscaraige an I really hope dats noy the case I been bleedin for 5 weeks an dis is not normal for anyone
Ok. So..I've been reading all the things u can do to help the bad smell. Not to mention I was just treated for bv and the flagyl gave me a horrid yeast infestion. But now my smell is coming from the inside of my vagina. Not to b gross but I JUST showered and laid down n bed stuck a finger up there just to see if some magical miracle happened...no it didn't not..been having a dead or rotten meat smell inside my vagina and the only time it smells that way outside is when I start discharging is discharging natural or??? Idk ne ways I'm trying one of the remedies bout putting ice cubes in the vagina while showering..I've got 4 up there and omg its cooooold but I hope its def worth it. We will see. Next I'm going to try the baking soda and water douche.If any1 has anything else to help (home remedies) please feel free.
i been using the metro gel also and i just finished it now i have a little of this brownish red stuff coming with my discharges that normal
HELPPP! Hello I am a 22 year old girl with a steady boyfriend and for the past two week ive been having a strong strong odor coming from my vagina especially during and after sex.(its not a fishy odors i cant really describe it but if showered and showered and its just not normal) I have never had any type of problem with odors so I am concerned! Also while having intercourse there is a brownish watery discharge that keeps coming out every time, i have only experienced maybe while having sex the last day of my period but its been two weeks since ive had it. I recently changed my birth control from yaz to ovcon and had a pap test where everything came out normal. Someone please tell me whats wrong and why this odor is still here!????
White discharge is normal and varies during your menstrual cycle. It can be present at any time. If the discharge does not itch, it should be nothing to worry about. If the discharge itches, it thick and cottage cheese like, you may have a yeast infection. Just to be sure, go to the OBGYN. You know your body and if something is not right, you know it.
Sweetheart don't listen to anyone but me.  Go on eBay and get a jamu stick.  U cannot use modern medicine to treat bv which is a comman problem with women.  On the other side of the world, women r happy.  Traditional medicine has been used successfully for centuries.  These bastards r taking us for a ride.   Antibiotics leave our vagina in a vulnerable state.  Your problem will be back in thoughly twelve days after antibiotics.  
Get a jamu stick.  The cleanse the vagina, eliminating discharge which causes bad Odor.  They r brilliant.  Looks a little like clay.  If your vagina gets a bit dry, use lubricant.  Get aci gel from chemist.  Use this occasionally.  Keeps the vagina balance flora in good nick.   Also, sex is much better.  It's stimulating too.  
Ladies get a jamu stick.  Each and every one of you.   It's traditional medicine.  I'm trying to save you eight years of experience.  Just get it.  Trust me.  I've read everything.  Tried everything.  
Jamu stick is a hidden secret.   Modern medicine destroys the vaginas flora.   Those bastards know it, but they r making millions from our misery.   No more!!!!   Jamu stick saved my vagina.  
Can I hv some answers about having smelling discharge
Ladies my best friend was having the same problem with the white thick discharge, turned out that she had a yeast infection, she took a diflucan to treat the yeast and she also started taking probiotic acidophilus tablets, what this does is adjust the ph level in your system. Try it
Hey babygirl1964, I have a question, how do you stick 3 fingers in your vagina? Really no offense, just curious.
~Mya
I have been having this same issue.  what have you found out??
OMG!!!I was doing the research on smelly discharge because it was not normal for me and i was about to have a friggin heart attack. I sat here and read all of your comments and I didnt think that was my situation because I always sit on the toilet and push blood clots out, so I figured that anything else would just come out . The past few days my blood from my period was brownish-red and smelly and not really coming out until i pushed some. Well, I read this info went to sleep, woke up the next morning went to the bathroom, urinated and pushed little, and i felt something more than the normal blood clots that i have. I looked in the toilet and saw a thick brownish-red mass, intertwined with the blood clot.I looked at it good and noticed that YES, IT'S A DAMN TAMPON!!! I HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG IT WAS THERE, BUT IT WAS REALLY STINKY!!! DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES BEFORE IT STARTS TO SMELL AND GET BROWNISH-RED. I JUST DON'T BELIEVE IT WAS THERE SINCE LAST MONTH. I THINK I WOULD HAVE NOTICED A SMELL SINCE LAST MONTH IF IT WAS THERE SINCE THEN. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!! THANKS YOU GUYS!
Put 2 probiotic capsule up inside you before bed...gone in the morning...no joke that fast. Works for yeast infections aswell