swimming while on period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

swimming while on period

We invited some kids over to our pool yesterday and one young girl was on her period (her 2nd day). I would not let her go swimming. She said she was told water would stop her period. Is this true? And can't you get some type of infection? Sorry for the crazy question. When her mother found out she did not get to swim because of her period she said it would not have hurt her to have swam. I personally thought it would be very unsanitary since most kids get the water in their mouth. We did not leave her out of the activities some swam for awhile and then we all played inside games.
Wow, I would have been really upset if someone did that to me when I was a girl. Periods are such a sensitive subjects. I have been swimming on my period my whole life...even without a tampon and I have ever had blood come out and I have never ever heard of anyone getting an infection from swimming while on their period.
is their clorine(sp?) in ur pool?
i go swimming while i'm on my period, i never got an infection from it.
just put a tampon in......
i think it's perfectly ok to go swimming while on ur period.
shyan
There is nothing to stop a female from swimming if she uses a tampon.  As far as being unsanitary if some menstrual fluid gets in the water, it is no more unsanitary than sweat; I think I have read that blood is bacteria free.  Given how sensitive young girls are around issues of their period, I think I wouldn't have said anything to her about it or kept her from swimming.
blood would not have come out. it's just like when your in the bath and the water doesnt turn red! you were probably right to stop her cuz of the other kids but the clorine would have killed the germs.
I agree w/ mom. I disagree w/ the girls mom. She should be using
a tampon or some type of swimsuit liner not because of putting blood in the water, which would neutralize to zip from chlorine & chemicals, but for the sake of the embarrassed girl that
might be standing 'out' of the pool. She would still drip at
some point. Kids put more spit + pee in water, & chems/water
dilute down. I see nothing wrong suggesting a tampon if she
made the announcement. You don't want to know what's in the
ocean! Fish poop + alot of stuff.
I am wondering how you even knew she was on her period? There is no reason whatsoever to prevent her from swimming on her period. If she was singled out and told she could not swim on her period then she WAS put in a very awkward and uncomfortable position by you. There is ZERO chance of her blood hurting anyone and your flow DOES cease when you are swimming, that isnt to say should wouldnt start again after she gets out. If I was her Mother I would have been upset at you for making her stay out of the water and for bringing attention to her period in a social situation. I would also be upset that you even knew she was on her period, that is her business and her Mother's business not anyone else's and definately not the hostess of a gathering.
I hope it doesn't scar her having such a private thing be made into an issue at a party.
You will NOT get an infection while swimming on your period - I use to have to go into the pool in high school during P.E while on my period as did other girls - I just wore a pad (could not wear tampons and still don't) It'll be fine.  It would have been fine - Well now you know next time that you don't have to exclude anyone from any activity for that reason.
Okay Calm down. I was by no means mean to the child she was very comfortable talking to me about it as I was her. I did give her a tampon but she did not no how to use it and I did not feel like it was my place to show her(respectably so)  She is coming over in a couple of days. She was by no means embarassed by the subject as I had never been in this situation before. I still believe others will agree with me on the sanitary part and I still believe there could be some sort of infection that would occure. Anyway we still had a great day.
The chlorine levels in the pool, if kept at their appropriate measures, would've kept everyone safe, even if it were possible to transmit something in that way.  Our pool is concrete on the bottom, and kids are constantly stubbing their toes etc...and we put a band-aid on, and they get right back in.  This is a pool that is monitored and checked by health dept. personnel, as well as maintained by several lifeguards.
She would've been fine, but I understand, as a parent your desire to keep all the kids "safe".  However, if you research with a pool company, they will tell you that the chemicals are designed to do such a thing...otherwise, kids would get sick constantly from the urine, sweat, snot...and other unseen things in the water.

You are wrong on both ocunts, it is NOT unsanitary in the least and there is no way it can cause an infection nor could she get an infection from swimming on her period.
You might think she was "comfortable" talking about it but I doubt that is true, it sounds like she handled herself very well in a very embarrasing situation that you created. I think you owe her an apology.
Hi, I think you handled the situation in a sensitive manner by the sounds of it. You sound to me like you were unsure about the effects of this young person being on her period and her swimming with other children. As the saying goes better to be safe than sorry. If the young person had a problem with your actions I,m sure her mum would have been in contact with you like a bolt of lightning. If the young person had felt uncomfortable she 1. wouldn't have told you she was on her period and 2. once you'd spoken to her would have wanted to go home immediately or would have been withdrawn and not joined in any activities.  Actions in young people speak louder than words and the fact that this young person had a good time says it all relly.  I think you acted appropiatly . Take Care. Chris
Thanks for all the responses.

Chris:  Thanks Chris. The little girl approached me with    
        the situation so apparently she was also unsure.

Kalio:  If you can, read the post maybe there you will find  
        the answer to your question. And no one said I brought  
        attention to her in a social situation. There were  
        lots of kids and they were all doing their on thing.    
        I wonder why some people answer post if they can't  
        even read.

Glad to be a mom/Shyan: I don't think chlorine desolves blood
        clots.

Demi:   Thanks. I felt unsure at first but not now. I wonder why
        that little girls mother did not talk to the little girl
        about such a sensitive subject before bringing her to a
        pool party. I have 3 little girls. I certainly would
        have talked to them. Strange she felt so comfortable  
        talking to me instead of mom.

Thanks all. Going on a much needed vacation. Traveling around the world for 5/6 weeks. Later.
It is completely safe to swim while you're on your period. When my sisters and I were kids, and didn't wear tampons, we usually DIDN'T swim only because we didn't like how uncomfortable we'd feel if we did. (We wore our underwear underneath our swimsuits with pads...you'd get the whole wet diaper feeling and it was gross). But my mom and doctor always ENCOURAGED us to get in the pool, saying that the cool water would help lighten the flow. Sometimes we swam, sometimes we didn't. But once we were able to wear tampons, we always swam, and still do. It's not unsanitary. Think about it....how many people actually ANNOUNCE if they pee in the pool. I bet there's more urine in a pool than anything else. So I think someone on their period would be the last person to worry about causing any unsanitary problems.
The water would be safe, but it daes not actualy "stop" the period. Most people will not flow in the water because the water pressure is greater than the gravity of their period, but if it gets heavy, it can flow out. As for embarassing the girl, the most embarrasing thing would be to have someone see her leak, especially if there were boys there. I'm sure the reason she told you was becase she was unsure whether swimming would be a good idea. A tampon is just a good idea, and if her mother wants her to swim on her period, she really should teach her to use one. That will save her from being really embarased. I think you chose the lesser of two evils, and it didn't really sound like her mom was mad. I agree that if the girl had really been upset, she would not have participated, and you would have been able to tell. I'm surprised how many people had such an attacking attitude here. some seemed to be chastizing rateher than giving advice.
Thanks. Yes I just ask a question. Isn't that what this is for advice, ect? No need to answer. I can take the crtisim. I ignore it. You're right the girls mother was not mad at all. She seemed unsure herself. Anyway we are all friends and the girl will be back soon. Thanks Again.
I'm familiar w/ the ol' 'pounce of opinions'! She spoke/you offerred/it was safe. I personnaly have been in pools where
the ladies thought it wasn't that time, & got out & noticed.
No one would've known. Do people where T-shirts announcing a
condition? Nope! I was at a pool party where I felt odd when
notices where sent to us later that it wasn discovered some-
one was there HIV-pos. w/ us in pool. Gave the persons name as a hds-up. Very cruel. Some ran out to get tested. Me like others
called Dr. for correct answer. Answer is no. Water/chlorine/
pool acid kills germs along w/ dilution. If HIV pees in pool
we don't all get HIV. Wonder if the pool would've emptied out
if someone just spread a rumor? Your right, folks don't read well before the 'pounce'. I also don't think we're talking
about a little kid. Why announce if didn't want people to know?
Try to vacation your brain. This will pass.
"90% of all vaginal, UTI, and uterine infections in women (of any age) not sexually related are acquired via "shared" water."

I'd like to know where you found that statistic. Almost all UTIs are caused by e coli, *your own bacteria already on your vulva*. Yeast infections and BV are imbalances of bacteria in your own vagina, for whatever reason - but NOT other people, and NOT shared water of any kind.
I am just amazed at the answers on this subject. Should a female of any age go swimming on their period?  Absolutely not!!!!  Has this child or mother ANY consideration for anyone other than themselves?  "It might hurt the sensitivities of the teen", "It might be embarressing for the teen", it's okay if she plugs herself up with a tampon".  The selfishness is astounding. First of all, the discharge from the period isn't just red blood cells.  Bacteria, viruses, seepage from STDs, spores from fungus all get into the water.  No one wants to get into water, no matter how much chlorine in there, after someone pees, yet you have no problems with getting into water that has now been contaminated by this vaginal discharges???? There are an amazing number of bacteria, fungus, and STDs that are uneffected by chlorine. Chlorine, like bleach, kills many things, but it may have already been evaporated by sunslight, or less than an appropriate amount may be in the pool so no one's eyes will burn. These "bugs" may not hurt the girl in question, but can hurt someone who has an open wound, a vagina now washed in this contaminated water, or give an eye infection to someone who's immune function is "down". 90% of all vaginal, UTI, and uterine infections in women (of any age) not sexually related are acquired via "shared" water. Swimming pools, hot tubs, etc. For the safety of all concerned, Boninclyde was unquestionably correct in not allowing the girl into the pool.  It was horribly inconsiderate of this girl or her mother to put the girl's pleasure before the safety of others at the party.  Shame on them!!!!
Let me clarify that you cannot get STD from shared water. If the STD results in an open wound or leakage of some sort, the wound or leakage may contain alot of "bad" bacteria (infection)that can be transfered via water.
Thanks for all the responses.

even read.

clots.

talking to me instead of mom.

Doc H would love this one.  I'm so LOL at Star Queen's response.  "Dear Doc, I had a crazy night of swimming in a pool with a women who was on her period.  Could I have HIV?  Do I need to be tested?"  Can you just imagine his response.  Oh my gosh, that was just crazy!

Sorry if that sounds rude, but my grandmother who is 84 doesn't even think that way!!!
I thought I was going to split my side laughing when I read the above response by Star Queen.  

Please Dr. H...if you read this, chime in on this one.  We need some help over here...

Giving solicited advice is one thing, but stating "statistical fact" that is incorrect is just wrong.
umm Star queen...if those things happened when a women was swimming on her period...they would happen when she wasn't...us women have discharge all month...think about it...all of us would be walking diseases...

oh man. LOL.

I hope traveling the world helps open your eyes...
um, even if it is safe to swim while on your period, it's still kind of scary for a teenage girl to get into the water, despite reassurances. Especially when 3/4 of the gym class is male, including the teachers. What's great is that if you sit out of gym 5 times, you fail the class. After reading these posts, I can assume that it's safe to swim while menstruating, but I'm still going to sit out today. It's just doubts overwhelming assurance.
I may be different, but I'd be more worried about how to take care of the leak than being embarrassed about something as natural and common as my period.
I never go to swim in the poll when I'm on period. It's just strange for me to read some posts published here. I'm always afraid that my blood can be visible. It's awful! But I always swim in the river if there is no one on the beach.
The the young ladies not swimming while on your period.  My daughter just started at 10.5 yrs old.  It is a very big deal.  I am trying to help her feel comfortable with what is going on.  If she doesn't want to stay overnight at a friends sleepover, I leave it up to her.  If she doesn't want to swim, I leave it up to her.  BUT, I do encourage her not to let her period stop her from having fun.  She is to young to us a tampon.  Her body and her mind needs to develope more before we try that one.  I swam while I was on my period and never had an issue with anyone being able to tell.  I always got in the water right away and when I got out, I did not sit around I went and changed.  I would like to encourage you both to try swimming when you are with friends to see if you can.  Try it on a light flow day.
Boninclyde - Boy, having just started going through this with my daughter I am not sure what to say to you.  I would have called the Mom to talk about how she thought things should be handled.  I know my daughter would have been very upset and would have called me to come and get her.  I would not have been happy because I probably would have already spent several HOURs talking to her encouraging her to attend the party.  Then to have you not let her swim because of her period... that could have been a big deal.  Please, always talk to the childs parent before making a decision like that.  My daughter is very sensitive and I am not sure what kind of impact that might of had on her.  I know you did what you thought was best.  This new beginning for these young ladies, some of them way to young to be starting is a very upsetting, confusing and just full of doubt.  I am looking for a book called "Our Body, Ourselves" to help us through this and other things yet to come.  Good luck to all.
thanks for asking your question, the responses helped me decide to go swimming or not while on my period since i cant use tampons @ 14! lol i have decided to go swimming but i am still nervous! hopefully i wont bleed and embarras myself!
If you're not ogin to use a tampoon,, just make sure you have something to slip into as soon as you get out of the pool (like shorts) incase you then start to leak, and try to get changed as soon as possible, I wouldn't however suggest using a pad in the water, it would just get overwet any way
Please, please, please don't go swimming in a shared pool during your period without a tampon! Bonnie was quite right to prevent the child from swimming in the pool, as swimming without a tampon undoubtedly risks menstrual leakage. Have none of you noticed leakage when in the bath? I think boniclyde was very sensible and sensitive, and also potentially prevented further embarassment for the child. So please, people, for the greater good, NO SWIMMING WITHOUT TAMPONS!!!!!!
Ditto.............................
I went to swimming this very morning with me period. I did not use a tampon because I thought it had ended this morning. Well it backfired. 1 hour into swimming my period came back at full force. I did see it in the water and so did alot of others. I was embarassed at first until all the girls on the team (by the way it was a boy/girl swim team) came over to me and backed me up. One of the girls was nice enough to give me a tampon. But as it was so heavy, right when I got back in the water it did show up again. My coach was a male and he was very cool with it. He said the chlorine would clear it up. So that is a yes that your period can show up in the water. Use a tampon, but if you are too scared then just stay out of the water because you dont want what happened to me to happen to you. Before you swim try a tampon, but if you bleed through it in less than an hour then dont swim at all.
HELL NO GIRL YOU WAS RIGHT SHE DID NOT NEED TO GO SUMMER CUZZ PEOPLE HAVE EYES AND EVERY THING ELSE OPEN WHEN THEY IN THE POOL YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT CAN HAPPEN AND HER MOM SHOULD KNOW BETTER THATS SOMETHING HER MAMA KNOW NOT  RIGHT IT DONT SOUND RIGHT..
oh my goodness I feel like I have flashed back into the old days when a woman on her period was considered an unsanitary being and needed to be blessed by the church after giving birth to be considered "clean" again.  

While I agree that it is not the best idea to be on your period and swim without a tampon....I ALSO think that some of you might be hypochondriacs.  I mean...for gods sake...kids scratch their a**ess ALL day long and then share the same pencils, crayons, etc.  I don't see all of you sending your kids to school with purel in their pocket!

Chlorine is a form of BLEACH.  It KILLS bacteria!  THAT IS WHY ITS IN THE POOL in the FIRST place!  

That being said...I think bonnieclyde handled it correctly.  I too started my period at a very awkward time.  I was changing INTO my swimsuit..and noticed I had started.  I was visiting my aunt and uncle...so I sat that swim trip out...since I didn't use tampons at first.  I approached my aunt and I told her what had happened...and it was done with.  

I don't know who was the one who said something about "vaginal discharge" breeding bacteria....if that were the case women post puberty would NEVER be able to swim!  I don't know about you...but I have discharge ALL month...and if you don't...please tell me your secret so I can make it stop!
dont be hard on her she didnt know
if ur pool is properly chlorinated any bloodborn infection (even aids) was killed before it ever came out of her ... if u use natural organic pool cleaners and shockers such as bacquacil then she shoud NOT be allowed in the pool as it takes awhile to kill the bacteria/virus that may have been in her bloodstream
i personally go to the beach when i am on my period because i believe in the healing power of salt water
good luck to u
sharon
well, i do take swimming as a physical education class in school
and to be quite honest, i do not feel comfortable going into the poool the first and second day, only because i have a heavy period

but i do go on my third day and so on
i've never had a problem with it. and even when i got out the pool- i took a shower, and my period didnt start flowing for another good 10-15 minutes. that would of  given the girl plenty of time to use a bathroom and clean herself up.

and i do agree with the other women here--there are even more gross things lurking in the beach and pool then periods. but hey, its just an opinion.
it's fine--no big deal about  the situation!
If you wear a tampon there really shouldn't be an issue. I can't believe there are people out there that don't think you can swim on your period. Do you think swim meets get canceled due to periods...no, they don't because it doesn't matter
hi i just wondered because i might be going to wet and wild if you think i should go i started this morning and pland it last night should i go because i want to but am imbarraced incase when i am walking from pool to pool i bleed or whilie swimmimg because the blood will follow :S x thank u x  
This topic has been very interesting, in that most of the people who did not agree with swimming on their period did not have any medical proof to what they were saying, and the people who actually did have any sort of idea said it was ok. Are you going to ask an olympic swimmer not to swim on their period. I would like to see you try. With all the public pools in the world, I have never seen a sign not to swim on menstruation, you just don't. I agree with wearing a tampon just in case for embarasment sake, but I personally never had a problem even on the first day of my period. I always just change my tampon right before going in and showering and changing right after. Never had a problem. I have been in several swim classes where I had to attend several times a week. I couldnt miss one week a month, just not happeningg. Just try to think of things logically first before coming to assumptions. How many women are in the world who have a period? A lot, and I would like to see how many still swim, and never had a problem.

to boninclyde, you did what you thought was right, and I don't think we need to hold a chastising. It wouldn't hurt to take that girl aside sometime and apologize just in case, cuz I know how I was that age, and I wouldnt even tell anyone if I was embarrased like that including my mom. Now you know.
When you swim, your period stops. I've been a swimmer for so long and when I first started my period, I asked my (female) coach whether or not it would be okay for me to swim. She said it was fine and to get in. No blood comes out and about the germs, the chlorine should kill it before "harming" other children.
I would like to thank you all for this information.  I am 35 years old and decided to take swimming lessons {I never knew how to swim and it wasn't required in my high school}.  All of my fears of having my menstrual cycle and swimming have been debunked!  Thank you!
i am a nurse and you just said some ********.uti are from your own bodys chemicals. or from you letting a nasty **** or dirty finger nails in u. hot tubes cause yeat infections but thats because your chemical balance is already off and heat cooks yeast. as far a her swimming my great grand mother would have a fit cause your pores are open and your body is subject to colds faster.and old people just dont play that mess. but to each his own,n they make suff to get in the water with when ur period is on.
Am 12 and we at my school we go swimming everyday and am afraid of telling my teacher that I have my period (this is my first time getting this.).also  am afraid of using a tampon.
any infection? what the hell are you talking about?? have you got in a time-machine and zipped here from the victorian times?? do yourself a favour and everyone else and educate yourself
I agree with your comments 100%.  What is wrong with the person who would decide NOT to let her swim, and as you said HOW did she know some much information about the girl.  If I was the girl's mom, I would be FURIOUS!
Kudos!
when i went swimmin my mom told me not to and i did she said it would stop it on ur first time but i havent got an infestion
You are so old-school!  I have been swimming with tampons while on my period for years and nothing ever happened to me or the people I swim with in the pool.  So there!   Chlorine does kill everything!   Get your facts straight!
I was reading through this and I can't believe how many people think you don't bleed in wwater :-/. I bleed in water and I know friends that bleed in water, some people must have extremely light flows!
There are plenty of diseases that can be spread with blood.

http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/dcmfchajyt5uhqfbxo5dwbv35suiilggkpvf3vs5xzaq67gelg4n3agm7s67i3d4xtlbwmaymjspktvwxt3hnrbhka/Section+3.pdf